Postby Flip » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:34 pm

The seeds seem reasonable.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2022 Playoffs

Postby packers21 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:36 am

Flip wrote:The seeds seem reasonable.

Not if you are Cavalier
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:31 pm

NP got a bump by dominating their region whereas Cavalier looks to have gotten screwed by having the tougher region and closer games.

From my thoughts, I had 3/4 flipped and 7/8 flipped. I hate the 2/7 quadrant being regions that have already all played each all season…that’s why I would have liked to see those flipped.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Is this the year the west makes some noise or will the east dominate like they usually do. I have not been able to attend any games this year due to health issues so I am pretty much out of the loop except for seeing scores.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:06 pm

WalkingStick wrote:I hate the 2/7 quadrant being regions that have already all played each all season…that’s why I would have liked to see those flipped.

Hettinger County, Grant County, Kidder County, and South Border played everyone in that quadrant and Hettinger Scranton and New Salem played 4 of the 5 possible teams.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 5-time state chump » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm

WalkingStick wrote:NP got a bump by dominating their region whereas Cavalier looks to have gotten screwed by having the tougher region and closer games.

So a couple things...I'm a Class A guy, so I don't have a horse in the race here.

1.) 9-Man doesn't use QRF, so the rest of my comments are moot. lol.
2.) I would ASSUME that the formula QRF uses, would REWARD you for winning tougher games. But apparently not? I haven't examined everyone's schedules to see if I agree/disagree with seeds. If there is a formula in place ahead of time to determine seeds, well then there really is no arguing seeds anyways.
3. ) QRF as of today (BEFORE final week), Cavalier would have been #6. We will see what it shows tomorrow when it is updated.

What is the criteria for seeding the top 8 teams in 9-man?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bacon » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:35 pm

packers21 wrote:

Not if you are Cavalier

Why? Because they will probably have to play Lamoure in the playoffs? Have to beat who they put in front of you weather that is in the playoffs or in Fargo.
Bacon
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 pm

5-time state chump wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:NP got a bump by dominating their region whereas Cavalier looks to have gotten screwed by having the tougher region and closer games.

So a couple things...I'm a Class A guy, so I don't have a horse in the race here.

2.) I would ASSUME that the formula QRF uses, would REWARD you for winning tougher games. But apparently not? I haven't examined everyone's schedules to see if I agree/disagree with seeds. If there is a formula in place ahead of time to determine seeds, well then there really is no arguing seeds anyways.
3. ) QRF as of today (BEFORE final week), Cavalier would have been #6. We will see what it shows tomorrow when it is updated.

Region champ Coaches vote…seeded 1-8

If we can do this for football why can’t we seed 1-8 in other sports that do seeding?

Also cavalier got nothing out of beating TMCHS’ JV in an 11-man game and very little for beating an 11-man Northern Cass to start the year…

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:09 pm

QRF Is not used at all in 9-man seeding (Or 11B for that matter) The coaches of the 8 Region Championship teams vote on who they feel are 1-7 (Can't vote for your own team) and the results of that voting is what is used to seed those teams.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 pm

From my thoughts, I had 3/4 flipped and 7/8 flipped. I hate the 2/7 quadrant being regions that have already all played each all season…that’s why I would have liked to see those flipped.

Interesting vote. I just went thru all the schedules and basically the coaches said the difference between seeds 3, 4, and 5 was interesting. Mayville loses by 2 two point plays to #1 and defending champs. Cavalier plays a JV team and one of the worst Class A teams this year and they get rewarded for that?? Seems odd. Then I might be wrong, but I don't see a good team on North Prairie's schedule. So beating nobody is better than playing and losing to #1 by 4 yards??
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:44 am

QRF is actually what that is for and where it actually shows up, comparing teams who don't have overlaps and dont play each other, thats why its used in other states at that point. IF everyone is playing everyone you don't need the arbitrary formula.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:22 am

BelfieldBantams wrote:

Interesting vote. I just went thru all the schedules and basically the coaches said the difference between seeds 3, 4, and 5 was interesting. Mayville loses by 2 two point plays to #1 and defending champs. Cavalier plays a JV team and one of the worst Class A teams this year and they get rewarded for that?? Seems odd. Then I might be wrong, but I don't see a good team on North Prairie's schedule. So beating nobody is better than playing and losing to #1 by 4 yards??

I don't think Cavalier got rewarded for anything, I would think they are just as disappointed as anyone. I imagine in their minds they are the 2/3 seed and its hard to argue with that. The only reward coming their way is they won't have to move up next year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:31 am

BelfieldBantams wrote:

You went through all the schedules and didn't see this....

North Prairie may have played the most impressive schedule in the entire state and ran the table. They beat St John (Region 7 Champ) WNG (Region 7 Runner-up who only lost to Divide County the Region 8 champ by a TD), they beat North Border (Region 3 Runner-up) and Nelson County (A very good team that was plagued by injuries). And then also ran the table in their own region.

No one would play Cavalier and they got penalized for that. I know for certain that they reached out to MPCG and Wyndmere/Lidgerwood both for non-conference games and were turned down because those teams only scheduled within Region 1 & 2. They sent out an E-mail over NDHSAA to all 9-man schools looking for games week 1 and 2 stating they were willing to travel. No one would play them, then at the end of the year they get penalized for a weak schedule.

MPCG and LaMoure are both very good teams, but aside from playing each other and both playing W/L. They played among the weakest schedules in the entire state. Richland and Hatton Northwood don't make the playoffs in ANY other regions in the entire state besides region 1 & 2. Maple River probably not either.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:08 am

I think 9-man should use QRF. Otherwise, you end up with this ---> multiple undefeated teams or teams with same records all feeling like they should have been the higher seed.

When coaches vote, what criteria do they use? They aren't "required" to use any criteria. They basically stand back, look at scores, opponents, records, etc. Same thing that QRF does.

QRF would be better because it would because it does not have any bias, preconceived thoughts, etc. It uses the exact same formula for every team, every situation.

QRF isn't perfect, but it's better than voting. Example of a flaw with QRF, is that well, if no top tier teams will play you/no one is able to play you, you end up getting penalized. But coaches voting doesn't fix that either.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:10 am

NDPREP wrote:QRF is actually what that is for and where it actually shows up, comparing teams who don't have overlaps and dont play each other, thats why its used in other states at that point. IF everyone is playing everyone you don't need the arbitrary formula.

I agree with you. That is WHAT QRF is for.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:13 am

Bacon wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Not if you are Cavalier

Why? Because they will probably have to play Lamoure in the playoffs? Have to beat who they put in front of you weather that is in the playoffs or in Fargo.

True, you do have to beat whoever they put in front of you.

So then you're saying that you'd be okay with #1, #2, #3 and #4 all being on the same side of the bracket?

Just because you have to beat who they put in front of you, doesn't mean that it's not important to have the top 4 in the semis and #1 and #2 in the finals.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:45 am

Here is how QRF for 9-man ended up. (I know they don't use it in 9 or B)

1 Lamoure-LM (7-0) 61.0
2 North Prairie (8-0) 60.7
3 New Salem/Glen Ullin (8-0) 55.7
4 Divide County (7-0) 54.2
5 Cavalier (7-0) 52.7
6 May-Port-C-G (7-1) 50.8
7 South Border (7-1) 48.6
8 St. John (6-2) 42.0
9 Grant County/Flasher (6-2) 41.2
10 Wyndmere/Lidgerwood (6-2) 40.9
11 North Border (5-3) 35.8
12 Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn (5-3) 35.2
13 New Rockford-Sheyenne (4-4) 34.3
14 Four Winds (5-3) 33.7
15 Maple River (5-3) 33.3
16 Nelson County (4-4) 33.0
17 Tioga (4-3) 32.5
18 Surrey (4-3) 31.8
19 North Star (4-4) 30.4
20 Richland (4-4) 29.5

This would still put Cavalier on same side of bracket as Lamoure.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:53 am

Bacon wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Not if you are Cavalier

Thank you for the brilliant insight into HS Sports.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:45 pm

scc wrote:
NDPREP wrote:QRF is actually what that is for and where it actually shows up, comparing teams who don't have overlaps and dont play each other, thats why its used in other states at that point. IF everyone is playing everyone you don't need the arbitrary formula.

I agree with you. That is WHAT QRF is for.

NDHSAA had regions partnered up, which in turn makes QRF practically useless. I stand by my initial statement. Having the coaches rank the teams was a good idea.

I think having the coaches rank them is the best idea for the current structure. 9-man (especially this year) has some very good teams and some very weak teams. This year the gap seems to be larger than in the past.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Bacon wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Not if you are Cavalier

Have we finally come across the worst take on this board?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:11 pm

NDHSAA did partner up regions and it was mandated that they play 2 games against those partner regions, however Weeks 1 & 2 were open for teams to schedule anyone that they chose, regardless of region. Some regions (1 & 2 and 5 & 6) chose to stick together and play all 4 of their non-conference games with their partner regions. Other regions chose to mix and match their games, which allowed a team like North Prairie to play teams from Region 3 and 7 or teams like St. John to play teams from region 4 and 8. This free for all was good for those teams and bad for others like Cavalier, Larimore, or Midway-Minto in Region 3 who couldn't find anyone willing to play them in non-conference games. Midway-Minto ended up not playing a week 1 game and played a 6-man team in week 2. Cavalier played an 11B team in week 1 and 11AA JV team in week 2. Larimore found a week 2 game but had to play a 6-man team in Week 1. All of these factors would have had an impact on their QRF. Cavalier had a win over both Larimore and M-M which would have held less weight because of playing less games. They also didn't get any QRF points for beating TMCHS JV. Lets say Regions 1 & 2 didn't pair up for all their games and Cavalier got a win against Maple River (They played MV-E last year in week 1). A win over Maple River instead of a game against TMCHS JV probably gives them enough QRF points to jump New Salem and Divide County in the QRF Rankings.

Next year 9-man will have four regions of 10 teams in each region. No one will be playing any non-regional games at all as they will have 9-game Regional Schedules. How does QRF work in that situation? Theoretically if there is 4 undefeated region champions, wouldn't they all have the exact same QRF score?
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:04 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:Next year 9-man will have four regions of 10 teams in each region. No one will be playing any non-regional games at all as they will have 9-game Regional Schedules. How does QRF work in that situation? Theoretically if there is 4 undefeated region champions, wouldn't they all have the exact same QRF score?

One factor that should eliminate having the same QRF score, would be point differential in those 9 games.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:19 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:Next year 9-man will have four regions of 10 teams in each region. No one will be playing any non-regional games at all as they will have 9-game Regional Schedules. How does QRF work in that situation? Theoretically if there is 4 undefeated region champions, wouldn't they all have the exact same QRF score?

One factor that should eliminate having the same QRF score, would be point differential in those 9 games.

You do that and teams are going to run up scores…when you HAVE to play your other region teams the QRF isn’t necessary. The QRF works in MN because they don’t HAVE to play their section teams…they can schedule whoever they want.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:14 pm

I would like to see the brackets go back to East v West like they used to. I know travel is an issue, but I don't like teams playing someone in the playoffs that they have already played . (Unless it is in the semi finals or finals.) Just my two cents.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to 9 - Man