(RV) Richland @ (#5) Napolean/Gackle-Streeter

The teams in 9 Man

(RV) Richland @ (#5) Napolean/Gackle-Streeter

Postby FootballFever42 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm

In my opinion, this is the game of the week for the east.

Though the result of this game has no impact on any playoff scenario for either team, it should be a good indicator of just how good both teams are. #5 NGS is the clear #1 in Region 3 but, (with the exception of Oakes) they have not faced any real competition throughout the season, due to a relatively down year for Region 3.

Despite NGS being the favorite for many in this game, I believe Richland is going to walk away with a statement victory. My reasoning comes from my aforementioned point of NGS having a cake-walk of a regular season schedule as well as the fact that Richland has been the only team able to compete with the state's clear #1, Thompson, this season. (Richland lost 40-35 on 9/7)

I'd like to hear other thoughts on this match-up along with any impact players to watch for from NGS as I am not as familiar with their roster this season. I know Jr. Cole Myers and Sr. Hunter Lentz from Richland are both big play makers on offense with Sr. Blake Loomis and Sr. Trenton Dufner being big hitters on defense.

Additionally, Napoleon/GS and Richland have faced two common opponents this season, Finely-Sharon-Hope-Page (2-5) and South Border (0-6). Results are as follows:

Week 1 - NGS @ FSHP 14-6
Week 1 - South Border @ Richland 54-14
Week 3 - NGS @ South Border 62-8
Week 7 - Richland @ FSHP 63-24
FootballFever42
NDPreps Reserve

Re: (RV) Richland @ (#5) Napolean/Gackle-Streeter

Postby Erik8803 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Here's a look from a current player's eyes:
While this has no effect on seeding, it will effect Richland's chance for a home playoff game. Oakes is already leading them in QRF (edit: while I was typing this up, the new QRF was released and Oakes and Richland are currently tied.), and if they lose they can kiss that home game goodbye if Oakes wins their round 1 game which seems likely.

Napoleon has had a fairly easy season, besides the aforementioned Oakes, but they deserve the rank that the media has given them. Sr. QB Fettig is a very good player, and his main strength is running the ball. He doesn't have the best completion percentage, but still has around 900 passing yards. They also have Jr. Jengula at DE who creates a lot of plays on defense. Sr. RB Weigel is a good, strong runner. He has almost 1000 yards rushing and 9 rushing TDs.

I've seen film of the Oakes game, and it was mainly Oakes making costly mistakes that cost them the game. There was a few turnovers that could've been prevented, and those turnovers gave Napoleon very good field position (2 were around Oakes' 20 yard line).

It's hard to gather anything by looking at common opponents. South Boarder is 0-6 and they seem like a poor ball handling team on film. FSHP is a lot easier to gain information from, but was the first game of the season for Napoleon. You could also argue this about South Boarder vs Richland, but Napoleon had a better score on them than Richland.

I think that Napoleon will win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Richland won either. Richland gives up more points per game than Napoleon, but Richland scores more. Either way, it should be a good game.
Erik8803
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Erik8803 wrote:Here's a look from a current player's eyes:
While this has no effect on seeding, it will effect Richland's chance for a home playoff game. Oakes is already leading them in QRF (edit: while I was typing this up, the new QRF was released and Oakes and Richland are currently tied.), and if they lose they can kiss that home game goodbye if Oakes wins their round 1 game which seems likely.

Run, is it at all possible that Richland can lose and move ahead of Oakes in QRF? I know sometimes just playing quality teams can help your QRF even if you lose. Oakes won't get much credit for beating SZ.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fletcher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 pm

If Richland were to lose, the only way they could move ahead of Oakes is if they also lost. If Richland loses and Oakes wins they will not catch them. However, if they both win, Richland will move ahead of Oakes because Richland's opponents will have more wins than Oakes' opponents.
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Flip wrote:
Erik8803 wrote:Here's a look from a current player's eyes:

Run, is it at all possible that Richland can lose and move ahead of Oakes in QRF? I know sometimes just playing quality teams can help your QRF even if you lose. Oakes won't get much credit for beating SZ.

Oakes beating a poor team and Richland losing to a good team may just wash out...Oakes should still be higher with the QRF. (Just assuming...as I don't know the exact formula either...I just post the scores to the site).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby steel » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:14 am

I think alot of the result will depend on weather. A cold rainy or windy night, NGS wins relativelty easily. A nice calm night, I would probably give Richland the edge. Pass happy teams have to cross their fingers in the playoffs because at this time of the year in ND, you never know what kind of weather you will get. I would also give Napoleon an edge because playing at home and more big game experience. Should be a definite contrast in styles. Both guaranteed playoff positions so not sure how much teams want to risk injury to best players depends how much (QRF means to them.) Good luck to both. I like when good teams seek out good competition, it usually pays dividends come playoff time even if you take a regular season loss.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 am

steel wrote:I think alot of the result will depend on weather. A cold rainy or windy night, NGS wins relativelty easily. A nice calm night, I would probably give Richland the edge. Pass happy teams have to cross their fingers in the playoffs because at this time of the year in ND, you never know what kind of weather you will get. I would also give Napoleon an edge because playing at home and more big game experience. Should be a definite contrast in styles. Both guaranteed playoff positions so not sure how much teams want to risk injury to best players depends how much (QRF means to them.) Good luck to both. I like when good teams seek out good competition, it usually pays dividends come playoff time even if you take a regular season loss.

These teams may see each other in the Quarterfinals of the Playoffs as well. So how much will each team potentially show as well.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I will say Richland wins....If they meet again? then it will get interesting
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:25 am

I will take Napoleon to win. It is in Napoleon so Richland takes a 3 hour bus drive out there. Napoleon is always really tough at home and the fans will be out in full force for this one. The weather for Friday in Napoleon is a high of 39 degrees and raining which I really think favors Napoleon's style of play over Richland's. I think this should be a really good game but I think Napoleon gets a win. If they played on early in the year when the weather was good or on the turf inside I would maybe take Richland but in the conditions the game will be played in I have NGS.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Richland missing player also Friday
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jack Squad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:11 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Richland missing player also Friday

Who will they be missing? Injury?
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:21 pm

wr, db concussion will back for playoffs, Richland does not have a big bench, no room for anymore injuries
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BringTheThunder » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:15 pm

@Hoophoophoop I think the smallest bench in all of 9 man if memory serves.

@Steel It was nice and cold in FSHP when Richland played and posted 63 points.

I think Richland keeps it close either way.
BringTheThunder
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:wr, db concussion will back for playoffs, Richland does not have a big bench, no room for anymore injuries

how could you know that?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BringTheThunder » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:46 pm

@Flip Because we will rebuild him.... We have the technology.... (chuckle)
BringTheThunder
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Browning » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm

I have not seen Richland play but I’ve heard they are a passing team I don’t think any team is going to come in To Napoleon and pass. If that’s the strategy Napoleon by three touchdowns
Browning
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:00 am

Flip wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:wr, db concussion will back for playoffs, Richland does not have a big bench, no room for anymore injuries

how could you know that?

Common knowledge for anyone attending Richland games.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 am

d_fense wrote:
Flip wrote:

how could you know that?

I think he was wondering about how anyone would know he would be back for the playoffs. The concussion protocol is different for every situation, could be 8 days, could be 4 weeks.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:39 am

The Schwab wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Flip wrote:

how could you know that?

I think he was wondering about how anyone would know he would be back for the playoffs. The concussion protocol is different for every situation, could be 8 days, could be 4 weeks.

Because was cleared for contact next week and they have a buy for the first round,
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Because was cleared for contact next week and they have a buy for the first round,

doesn't sound like anything a doctor should say in 2018.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am

Flip wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:Because was cleared for contact next week and they have a buy for the first round,

Flip is right. That is not the concussion protocol that is used by schools anymore. There is quite the process to being cleared to return.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BringTheThunder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:41 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

Flip is right. That is not the concussion protocol that is used by schools anymore. There is quite the process to being cleared to return.

I mean, if doctors clear you for action. then the doctors clear you for action. Why should a doctor not clear him for action if hes not showing any signs or symptoms of a concussion? if hes cleared next week and RHS doesn't play next weekend since they have already locked a first round bye why would he not be able to play in the game after next week? Am I missing something here?
BringTheThunder
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:43 pm

BringTheThunder wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

I mean, if doctors clear you for action. then the doctors clear you for action. Why should a doctor not clear him for action if hes not showing any signs or symptoms of a concussion? if hes cleared next week and RHS doesn't play next weekend since they have already locked a first round bye why would he not be able to play in the game after next week? Am I missing something here?

It's how it was stated in a previous post that was unclear..IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 pm

BringTheThunder wrote:I mean, if doctors clear you for action. then the doctors clear you for action. Why should a doctor not clear him for action if hes not showing any signs or symptoms of a concussion? if hes cleared next week and RHS doesn't play next weekend since they have already locked a first round bye why would he not be able to play in the game after next week? Am I missing something here?

If the bolded is accurate why is he not playing this week?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 pm

BringTheThunder wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

Because the NDHSAA has implemented a state-wide concussion protocol, which I'm not going to get into the specifics of, but essentially the player has to have 5 consecutive symptom free days while in the protocol before they can consult with a doctor about being cleared.

The wording of the original post was confusing, while it is possible for him to be cleared next week (and I hope he is, never like seeing anyone hurt), I don't think a doctor would tell a kid that he will for sure be ready by next week if he was still in protocol.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man