G17: 3-2 (RV) Oakes (9-1) @ 3-1 (4) Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter (8-0) 24-14
G18: 2-1 (3) New Rockford-Sheyenne (9-0) @ 1-1 (1) Thompson (9-0) 34-30
G19: 5-2 (RV) Shiloh Christian (9-1) @ 5-1 (2) New Salem-Glen Ullin (9-0) 45-14
G20: 4-1 St. John (7-1) @ 6-1 (5) Ray/Powers Lake (9-0) 26-21
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby steel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Congrats to all the teams that played this weekend, especially NGS Imperials. You played a very physical game and have some surehanded tacklers. Can sure tell you have some very successful wrestlers on your FB team. Weigel was the best runningback we have seen this year and Fettig is very elusive playmaker. Cavalier had too many mistakes and missed tackles to win, but NGS had alot to do with that. I haven't heard of any major injuries of remaining teams. It looks like alot of good games for the quarters. I am very proud of the Tornado seniors, way to represent and not quit in the second half. Great bunch of kids.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby raider » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:43 am

G17: 3-2 (RV) Oakes (9-1) @ 3-1 (4) [Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter (8-0)
G18: 2-1 (3) New Rockford-Sheyenne (9-0) @ 1-1 (1) Thompson (9-0)
G19: 5-2 (RV) Shiloh Christian (9-1) @ 5-1 (2) New Salem-Glen Ullin (9-0)
G20: 4-1 St. John (7-1) @ 6-1 (5) Ray/Powers Lake (9-0)
raider
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am

steel wrote:Congrats to all the teams that played this weekend, especially NGS Imperials. You played a very physical game and have some surehanded tacklers. Can sure tell you have some very successful wrestlers on your FB team. Weigel was the best runningback we have seen this year and Fettig is very elusive playmaker. Cavalier had too many mistakes and missed tackles to win, but NGS had alot to do with that. I haven't heard of any major injuries of remaining teams. It looks like alot of good games for the quarters. I am very proud of the Tornado seniors, way to represent and not quit in the second half. Great bunch of kids.

The worst call of the day was the so called fumble at about the Napoleon 15 when Cavalier was driving, when the receiver was blatantly down. The illegal man downfield was iffy, I probably have to agree with you. You could watch the replays on huddle online and the Cavalier receiver caught the ball after it was tipped and the Napoleon defender tried to rip the ball out of his arms when he was down. Overall, the officiating didn't decide the game. I can understand the emotions of Napoleon's team, it was a heartbreaker to lose and I don't remember a team ever playing harder than they did. There were plenty of holding that didn't get called. I am a little biased towards Cavalier, but I believe Napoleon got the benefit of the doubt most of the day. Whoever said the Imperials were a dirty team, doesn't follow Tornado football or know football. There were plenty of hard clean hits on both sides and people helping their opponents up with little or no extracurricular activity after the whistle. Both teams laid it on the line and it was a shame somebody had to lose. Yards were pretty close to even, penalties not so much. I think Urlaub just wouldn't let his team lose. Weigel was the toughest back the Tornadoes have seen this year in my opinion.

some times a "dog in the fight sways opinion" ... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bacon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Napoleon is out sized in most of the games they play, but you won't find a team that plays harder than those kids. Much of it is the coaching and the younger kids watching what the older kids do and when it's their time to play, they step it up. They are very talented and are coached very well. The refing was very iffy. I will leave it at that. But like you said, it did not decide the game, so I guess I can let it slide.
Bacon
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Winner's Overview 2018 Season:

well, where does one start....

WDAZ was in Thompson for the "game of the week" week 1, Cavalier didn't perform up to expectations and there was a lot of finger pointing as to why, after the game but it is what it is....they were one of 4 teams left in the State just a mere 8 months prior and reloaded well I thought, considering the other team in the East didn't win a game this season (lost many many seniors, I realize, just stating) and Cav lost 3 All-Stater's had a Senior Starter not playing and had a starting running back go down early in the game and had 2 Juniors that played the season before not play this season....

fast forward to St. John: (cavs best game of the season IMO, because they used all their tools and spread it better than any other game of the year hands down, Ironically no media or no fans, except parents and grand parents) some said St. John "isn't that good" I say they win again this Saturday! leaving them "one of 4 left in the State" and have only one loss to? Cavalier......

fast forward to last game of their season:
first off? NapGS was the better team that day, and this isn't the total reason why but I'll say:
they had a longer spell of no games than when the season starts with "the night the lights went out in Georgia" :) to the Bye, than to Cav game (15 days) nice period of time to prepare... a team could actually start preparing for Oaks or Richland (in this case Oaks) along with a focus on the up coming task which was a 36-14 victory with 2 crucial turnovers by Cavalier and no scoring in the second half, Nap wins (hats off) .....I remember the prior year as Nap left the Cavalier field and the Coach ripped the Tornado banner of the wall, crumpled it up and threw it in the Garbage, some may say thats not right? I call it passion, I'm fairly passionate myself about competition and the competitive side of, well? anything
but as I stood there in Napoleon thinking Wow! what a beautiful day to be standing in Rural ND (a place no better) sucking up the Sun, watching a Team pour out emotions, after a defeat, after everyone else had left, I realized like every year (some more than others) that I was once a Senior in HS that had played my last game of a Sport....and in all? thats all that matters....

Good Luck to all the teams left.....Leave it all on the Field.... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm

I was at the Napoleon/Cavalier game. First time this year seeing either team play. I don't think the reffing had any impact on the way the game turned out, I didn't notice the reffing (which usually means it's pretty good). Napoleon had two outstanding players in their backfield. Cavalier didn't do themselves any favors by giving Napoleon some short fields.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDsportsfan05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 pm

G17: 3-2 (RV) Oakes (9-1) @ 3-1 (4) [Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter (8-0)
G19: 5-2 (RV) Shiloh Christian (9-1) @ 5-1 (2) New Salem-Glen Ullin (9-0)
NDsportsfan05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm

NGS
NRS - upset pick
NSGU
SJ
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:NGS
NRS - upset pick
NSGU
SJ

SJ winning to me would be a bigger upset IMO than NR/S

Ill go
NGS, Thom, NSGU over Bismarck and R/PL
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm

winner-within wrote:...
I am a little biased towards Cavalier...)

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:15 pm

NRS beating Thompson wouldn't be much of an upset IMO. I know nothing about Ray/Powers Lake, but I think St. John beating them would be a big upset.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:...
I am a little biased towards Cavalier...)

The Ridicule'r Strikes again!....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Flip wrote:NRS beating Thompson wouldn't be much of an upset IMO. I know nothing about Ray/Powers Lake, but I think St. John beating them would be a big upset.

No, wait Flip...you pointed out 10th QRF

are they good or are they bad? or are you just dumbfounded by it all?.......... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm

winner-within wrote:No, wait Flip...you pointed out 10th QRF

It's possible, but I don't remember.

are they good or are they bad? or are you just dumbfounded by it all?.......... :D

They were losing to North Border at halftime. That's dumbfounding to me.
They were still the best team in that region. I doubt it mentions the North Border game on their region championship trophy.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Flip wrote:NRS beating Thompson wouldn't be much of an upset IMO. I know nothing about Ray/Powers Lake, but I think St. John beating them would be a big upset.

It looks like Ray/PL struggled a bit with TGU last week. TGU and SJ also had a close game, but I think SJ has improved more since that time.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trump » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm going with Saint John, Napoleon, New Rockford, & New Salem this weekend. I think the reason Cavalier stopped st. John is cuz they had the power up front to stop their powerful Max Defender. If Cavalier would have taken advantage of their powerful line during the entire Napoleon game, and kept that ball on the ground, it could have come out differently. No doubt those cowboys down at Napoleon know how to tackle and take angles...comes with their line of work. They sure are a good team. Nice kids, clean game, etc...congrats to all the boys still going in the playoffs. Wishing you all the best of luck! Have fun guys...
Trump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby birthday » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:22 pm

winner-within wrote:
steel wrote:Congrats to all the teams that played this weekend, especially NGS Imperials. You played a very physical game and have some surehanded tacklers. Can sure tell you have some very successful wrestlers on your FB team. Weigel was the best runningback we have seen this year and Fettig is very elusive playmaker. Cavalier had too many mistakes and missed tackles to win, but NGS had alot to do with that. I haven't heard of any major injuries of remaining teams. It looks like alot of good games for the quarters. I am very proud of the Tornado seniors, way to represent and not quit in the second half. Great bunch of kids.

The worst call of the day was the so called fumble at about the Napoleon 15 when Cavalier was driving, when the receiver was blatantly down. The illegal man downfield was iffy, I probably have to agree with you. You could watch the replays on huddle online and the Cavalier receiver caught the ball after it was tipped and the Napoleon defender tried to rip the ball out of his arms when he was down. Overall, the officiating didn't decide the game. I can understand the emotions of Napoleon's team, it was a heartbreaker to lose and I don't remember a team ever playing harder than they did. There were plenty of holding that didn't get called. I am a little biased towards Cavalier, but I believe Napoleon got the benefit of the doubt most of the day. Whoever said the Imperials were a dirty team, doesn't follow Tornado football or know football. There were plenty of hard clean hits on both sides and people helping their opponents up with little or no extracurricular activity after the whistle. Both teams laid it on the line and it was a shame somebody had to lose. Yards were pretty close to even, penalties not so much. I think Urlaub just wouldn't let his team lose. Weigel was the toughest back the Tornadoes have seen this year in my opinion.

some times a "dog in the fight sways opinion" ... :)

The overturned touchdown on Napoleon where they called two forward passes was a horrible call, I watched the replay more than once and it could of been called either way with replay so how they could overturn it is beyond me.
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby birthday » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Napoleon had total yards as follows
Napoleon rushing 217
Passing. 215
Cavalier rushing. 92
Passing. 63
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDsportsfan05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Flip wrote:

They were still the best team in that region. I doubt it mentions the North Border game on their region championship trophy.

If I remember correctly St John didn’t have their starting running back (Houle) or full back (Defender) in the first half of that game.
NDsportsfan05
NDPreps Reserve

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

It looks like Ray/PL struggled a bit with TGU last week. TGU and SJ also had a close game, but I think SJ has improved more since that time.

NRS over Thompson is a bigger upset. Says more about Thompson than Ray/Pl. Ray is one point from being the number two seed in their region and one or two plays from losing to TGU. TGU playing well since they lost to SJ. Shut out two playoff teams and had RPL shut out till third quarter.

I got the same as ndlionsfan this week. Must be our Region 4 (BB) bias lol
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:29 pm

NDsportsfan05 wrote: If I remember correctly St John didn’t have their starting running back (Houle) or full back (Defender) in the first half of that game.

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing

woodchuck10 wrote:NRS over Thompson is a bigger upset. Says more about Thompson than Ray/Pl. Ray is one point from being the number two seed in their region and one or two plays from losing to TGU. TGU playing well since they lost to SJ. Shut out two playoff teams and had RPL shut out till third quarter.

Looked at scores a little closer. My new consensus.
St. John over RPL might not be an upset.
NRS over Thompson might not be an upset.
NRS and Thompson would be big favorites over St. John and RPL.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 am

Saturday, October 27th
G17: 3-2 (RV) Oakes (9-1) @ 3-1 (4) Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter (8-0)
G19: 5-2 (RV) Bismarck (9-1) @ 5-1 (2) New Salem-Glen Ullin (9-0)

Is Ray/Powers Lake missing any players? I thought I heard they had an injury later in the year but I have no clue if that is correct.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am

NDsportsfan05 wrote:
Flip wrote:

If I remember correctly St John didn’t have their starting running back (Houle) or full back (Defender) in the first half of that game.

never gauge a team by one half, even if certain players are not playing
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Handcheck » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Little surprised by so many people picking Thompson to lose. I admit I have only watched them In person once at Mayville but was impressed. Schwabe and reck were both very elusive and fast and Hughes and Overby are both homerun threats add in the big tight end Danner(who that night looked all-state) Thompson just seems to me to have too much firepower. But I guess that’s why they play and this time of year is great! I might have to skip the und game to watch this one!
Handcheck
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man