New or open minded 9-man coahces who want to kick butt

The teams in 9 Man

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:14 pm

I am a native North Dakotan, who played and coached 9-man football. I have since been coaching 11 man for several years.

I love football and study it everyday, As I study new and old schemes to make myself a better coach I come across some things that I say to myself that would work great in 9-man football, and I write down some X's and O's.

I am at the point in my career where I will most likely never coach 9-man again, and I have come up with an offensive system that would set the nine man world on it's ear. But we may never know.

It has never been field tested at the 9-man level, and if there is a young coach looking to make a splash or an experienced coach who is open minded I would like to share it with you. I would share it with one coach only who would be willing to commit to it 100% and not deviate from the core.

I could possibly help install it and help trouble shoot during the season.

If someone is seriously interested PM me and I will give you my background. And I will lay it out for the right coach with the right coaching style.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:59 pm

I see no replies, although you asked for PM's if interested.  I'm curious--have you had any takers yet?  I can't believe no one has even commented on this.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:53 am

no coaches yet.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby fb_fan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 am

This is an interesting topic. One man thinks his philosophy will make a nine man team better than all the others. It is interesting thought, even though all coaches think they have the best system in place for there teams. But one factor is, you have to have the players to make any system work. In high school it isn't as easy as it sounds. If Gridiron has the best 9 man system, why doesn't he look for a nine man job and make his mark?? Just a thought, why won't this same system work in 11 man??? Probably won't get to many takers on this, but if you do, good luck.
fb_fan

Postby homer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 am

i think his idea would be great for a brand new program starting up but where you have been trying to get your kids to buy into your philosophy and then change it the kids start thinking the change is because of them. good programs start teaching the way they want it to be done down in jr high ball so they have some knowledge when they get up in the varsity ranks
homer

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:47 am

fb_fan wrote:This is an interesting topic. One man thinks his philosophy will make a nine man team better than all the others. It is interesting thought, even though all coaches think they have the best system in place for there teams. But one factor is, you have to have the players to make any system work. In high school it isn't as easy as it sounds. If Gridiron has the best 9 man system, why doesn't he look for a nine man job and make his mark?? Just a thought, why won't this same system work in 11 man??? Probably won't get to many takers on this, but if you do, good luck.

I never said it was better than all the others, It would be a different look that most 9-man teams would have difficulty defending.

You do not need the best players to be successful with it. That is the misconception most highschool coaches have is that they can only win with talent.

I do not have the option of taking a 9-man job. That is why the offer is on the table.

For instance, some young man out of college takes the head football job in order to get his foot in the door of his teaching career, but does not know jack about 9-man football is the type of person I might consider helping out.

Rather than having him line up in the "I" formation and running a sweep to a kid who runs a 5.2 40 yard dash.

Last edited by GRIDIRON GURU on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby fb_fan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:10 am

[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:
I have come up with an offensive system that would set the nine man world on it's ear. But we may never know. It has never been field tested at the 9-man level, and if there is a young coach looking to make a splash or an experienced coach who is open minded I would like to share it with you. I would share it with one coach only who would be willing to commit to it 100% and not deviate from the core.
If this isn't saying that your program/philosophy is better than everyone elses, I don't know what is. It is admirable to want to help out youn coaches who need assistance. I think all good coaches have learned from someone in their past, so offering up help is a great thing. You just make me think that your system would make their team instant state champs and begin the "dynasty" that we are looking for in 9 man North Dakota. My question is still why won't your system work in 11 man?? Most schemes and philosophy's can be transformed to either game. Why won't you use this in a 11 man system?? Curiosity from a fan of football.
fb_fan

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:04 am

It does work in 11-man, I run it, and have for two years, and studied it for a year before that.

That is why I am confident in it, I also have some 9-man background and love the 9-man game, and I see some things that would really be deadly in 9-man.

I did not invent it, heck there are even some 9-man teams using a variation of sorts but I have a twist that I have not seen in the 9-man game, but I don't see a lot of 9-man games anymore either.

Could I build a dynasty with it ?maybe not but I could pretty much guarantee I would not ever have a losing season.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby B » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:05 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:It does work in 11-man, I run it, and have for two years, and studied it for a year before that.

That is why I am confident in it, I also have some 9-man background and love the 9-man game, and I see some things that would really be deadly in 9-man.

I did not invent it, heck there are even some 9-man teams using a variation of sorts but I have a twist that I have not seen in the 9-man game, but I don't see a lot of 9-man games anymore either.

Could I build a dynasty with it ?maybe not but I could pretty much guarantee I would not ever have a losing season.

There are NO guarantees in 9-man football.  I've seen enough football to know that you could easily end up with a roster that has 17 kids and half of them are freshman.  You would have to be in a weak region to end up .500 unless you had seniors for the other half of the team.  There are many excellent 9-man coaches that just don't have the kids to be competitive year in and year out.

Even "pretty much guarantee" ing  not ever having a losing season is silly.
B

Postby fb_fan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:51 am

Good point B. A coach could never gurentee to never have a losing season. Either that coach is the best or theey have some good athletes year in and year out. Either way that is a bold statement to make. Gridiron Guru, give us an idea of what your system is to see if there is a system like that in place already. Just curious to see what you have.
fb_fan

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:55 am

I probably should have said be competetive year in and year out.

But if I don't believe we can win every game it's pretty hard to convice the young men they can. 

I refuse to belive any 9-man team can out man you on every down and you must have superior talent to win. I just don't buy into that.

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby fb_fan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:01 am

[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:
I probably should have said be competetive year in and year out. But if I don't believe we can win every game it's pretty hard to convice the young men they can.   I refuse to belive any 9-man team can out man you on every down and you must have superior talent to win. I just don't buy into that.
I agree a coach needs to be positive and preach to his players they can win on any given game, but you can't tell me the Enderlin team 2 years ago who went two years in a row without a win would have done better if there coaches used your system?? I find that hard to believe. They just didn't have the athletes to compete and they got out manned on every play until other teams put in their JV's. So it can happen that your team has no talent, but they still like to play the game!!!
fb_fan

Postby B » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:23 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I probably should have said be competetive year in and year out.

But if I don't believe we can win every game it's pretty hard to convice the young men they can. 

I refuse to belive any 9-man team can out man you on every down and you must have superior talent to win. I just don't buy into that.

That makes more sense! :) 

You have to have talent, not superior,......but you don't win games against good well coached teams without some talent.

I still don't think there were many, if any, teams that could beat a healthy Napoleon this year.  Their strength, speed and discipline with their toughness would be hard to beat.
B

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:59 am

fb_fan wrote:I agree a coach needs to be positive and preach to his players they can win on any given game, but you can't tell me the Enderlin team 2 years ago who went two years in a row without a win would have done better if there coaches used your system?? I find that hard to believe. They just didn't have the athletes to compete and they got out manned on every play until other teams put in their JV's. So it can happen that your team has no talent, but they still like to play the game!!!

Enderlin, good example. Enderlin has a rich tradition in athletics. As the numbers dropped the talent level did. Once the talent level dropped off, two qualified good coaches quit coaching, but stayed as teachers, Enderlin had to go out and find a coach out of the school system who was'nt a teacher; to me that says you kids struggle, and I don't want anything to do with you because you stink. So the kids have a low self esteem and probably did not pay the price in the weight room in the off season but paid the price on the field by not lifting. Those are some factors at Enderlin. Along with most likley some quality kids did not want to go out because they knew they would be bad.

Now it's easy for me to sit here and type about my philosophy on coaching,  I have my opinions on how I would do it but I agree it is hard for some coaches in some situations where they do not have the support of the parents, community, and administration. Plus some kids have bad attitudes, who would rather quit than put any extra time into lifting weights.

But like Julius told Burtier in the Movie Remember the Titan's "attitude reflects leadership"

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm

I happened to have watched Enderlin a couple of times over the last five years.  THey were playing 11-man not so long ago.  They had a few 3-4 talented athletes, but they rarely went North South.  They did things that football wise are not fundamentally sound.  They had stupid penalties and appeared confused in several situations.  The games I saw included at least 5 plays in which they gave up long scores due to being out of position defensively.  They played at least five plays offensively with only 10 players, consecutive plays(that was how many I noticed). 

All of those things are not to be attributed to players.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to 9 - Man