2006 9-man All State Team

The teams in 9 Man

Postby point/center » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:07 am

First Team

Offense

Quarterbacks - Dustin Brend, Central Valley and Michael Mack (honorary), Tri-County.

Running backs - Jordan Backstrom, Maddock; Eddie Cullum, Turtle Lake-Mercer; Jordan Dewald, Napoleon-G-S and Tyler Grosz, Mott-Regent.

Receivers - Aaron Delvo, Central Valley; Landon Schneider, Washburn and Taylor Grunefelder, Napoleon-GS.

Line -Kyler Harder, Lakota; James Leier, Napoleon-GS; Zack Gjovig, Divide County and Scott Ereth, New Salem.

Defense

Line - Brandon Lunde, Maddock; Todd Singer, Turtle Lake-Mercer and Clint Urvand, Divide County.

Linebackers - Andrew Grothmann, Hillsboro; Michael McAtee, Rolla-Rock Lake; Kriss McCleary, Napoleon-GS; Mitch Lang, Turtle Lake-Mercer and Austin Jamtgaard, Divide County.

Backs - Cory Wall, Lakota; R.J. Darling, North Central Benson; Josh Thomas, Turtle Lake-Mercer, and Louden Kruger, New Salem.

Second team

Offense

Quarterbacks - Michael Cooper, Westhope-Newburg, and Chad Reimer, Washburn.

Running backs -Lance Johansen, Lakota; Keith Bowman, North Central Benson; Ian Placek, Divide County, and Wade Woodbury, Richland.

Receivers - Ross Severson, Dakota Prairie; Michael Good, Rolla-Rock Lake and Jon Johnson, Richland.

Line - Shawn Carnahan, Rolla-Rock Lake; Mark Wack, Maddock; Cole Laber, Napoleon-GS, and Devon Laufer, Mott-Regent.

Defense

Line - Jake Olsen, Hillsboro; Taylor Rittermann, North Central Benson; Trent Schatz, Tri-County and Cody Rupp, Edgeley-Kulm.

Linebackers - Jason Novacek, Central Valley; Chris Hoerth, Lakota; Nick Bye, Dakota Prairie; John Besette, Richland; Jason Huber, Westhope-Newburg and Lee Jahner, Mott-Regent.

Backs - Taylor Waloch, Milnor-North Sargent; Josh Wutzke, Mott-Regent and Kacey Keysor, Kenmare.
Last edited by point/center on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsperson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:33 pm

I fail to understand how Michael McAtee is a first team all-state linebacker and not a first team running back.  In my opinion he was a much better offensive player than defensive.  And usually if you lead the state in scoring and have over 1,500 yards rushing you're probably deserving of first team all-state, if not at the least second team.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:44 pm

I don't understand how Dewald, from Napolean, was honorable mention all region and then gets 1st team all state.  I mean I watched him play and hes a stud so how couldnt he get 1st team all region.  The same goes for Lance Johannsen, from Lakota, he was honorable mention all region and receives 2nd team all state runningback. I don't understand it?

Also I was shocked to see that Seth Nichols was left off the all state quarterback.  He had near 2,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing.  I heard he was 2nd in the state in total yards to first team quarterback Dustin Brend.  I don't understand how he can be left off, he led his team to a 7-2 record.  Its not like he played on a bad team or anything. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:25 am

All State goes to the best players in the state, not the best stats.  They also will try to get somebody on to the appropriate team, even if they maybe had better stats on a different side of the ball.  Would you rather be a first team all-state linebacker, or a 2nd team all-state RB?  I'm guessing most would rather be first team.  There is alot of politics involved in these teams and they are not a science.  In the case of Dewald, he was easily one of the top three RB's in the state, regardless of stats.  He probably didn't make all-conference because he hardly played in the conference games. 
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 am

i think my only real complaint about the all-state team is that i wish fewer players were named to it.

for instance, in my perfect little world, on the first team there would be one qb, two rb (though that would turn into two halfbacks and leave a fullback out in the cold), two wrs, a tight end, three or five offensive lineman (depending on the class). same with defense...just have a first team with as many players as would be on the field during either a 9-man or 11-man game.

maybe there could be more on the second team. it is a pretty minor complaint really though, i think that all in all, i don't have that much of a problem with all-state...in contrast, all-region teams are quite a bit worse and they tend to get out of control with the number of players named.

i think that especially at the 9-man level the positions that the kids play almost come out to being not really that important. so many of the kids play both ways, and as they are basically the best of the best in the state, they are going to make an impact on both sides of the ball. i look at grunefelder...i thought he was a better linebacker than tight end, but in the end, he was named to the first team offense.

all that said...as was mentioned on the thread where michael mack was named to the all-region team, i think that it is a pretty classy move to place him on the all-state team. very sad deal and i think it was handled appropriately when it comes to post season awards. i'm sure the awards don't do much to comfort the family/community/etc, but i also think that his death effected the whole state and it is a nice way for the state to remember and honor him. all in all, good gesture, well done.
rep

Postby point/center » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:03 am

I'm with you Rep. the All-Region team is pretty diluted and the All-State teams  don't seem alot better.

Funny how coaches take shots at the politics of media polls etc, but what's this...politics :shock::shock::shock:in All-State teams? no...heaven forbid, coaches are above that.;)

Coaches have seen every play of every player so the all state teams are totally legit..:shock::shock::shock:.

or something like that
Last edited by point/center on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby razorback » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:35 am

tommykramer wrote:All State goes to the best players in the state, not the best stats.  They also will try to get somebody on to the appropriate team, even if they maybe had better stats on a different side of the ball.  Would you rather be a first team all-state linebacker, or a 2nd team all-state RB?  I'm guessing most would rather be first team.  There is alot of politics involved in these teams and they are not a science.  In the case of Dewald, he was easily one of the top three RB's in the state, regardless of stats.  He probably didn't make all-conference because he hardly played in the conference games. 

dont players and stats go hand in hand? you have to be pretty good to put up those kinda numbers...
Last edited by razorback on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
razorback
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tommykramer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 am

Yes you have to have some stats to be considered.  But what they are trying to do is put the Best Players on there.  If some guy puts up great numbers against a bunch of bunk teams, then looks rather ordinary against the good teams, whats that tell you?  Hillsboro has two guys on the all-state team with mediocre "stats" but if you played against them you would say they were one of the better players in the state.  Last year Richland had decent stats, but their varsity played in very few 2nd halves, does that make them not as good because their team was good enough to get the starters off the field?  Last year Erbes the QB from Richland had around 1000 yards passing at the end of a 9 game season.  Through 4 games in the play-offs he added another 1000 yards against all playoff teams.  WHATS THAT TELL YOU???

Last point, if the RB from Northern Illinois wins the rushing title, is he guaranteed to be 1st team all-american?  NO, because just like certain situations being statistically questioned for the all-state nine man - He did it playing inferior competition!!!
Last edited by tommykramer on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:43 pm

i might be going on kind of a slippery slope here, but here is what i think about football statistics at the high school level.

there are some statisticians that would consider a pass from quarterback to runningback, that goes backwards, to be a pass. because the quarterback 'threw' the pass, regardless that it actually went backwards, it would be tracked as passing and receiving yardage instead of rushing yardage. the same with bubble screens to wide receivers.

i have tracked stats in games this season and ended up, over the course of 30 carries, 30 yards different from the games' 'official stats'. i have checked it with other guys tracking the same game, and we ended up 6 yards apart on the same kid with 30 carries.

i have also seen games in which a kid would break a 40 yard run, would fumble at the end of that run, and not get credit for the yards he accumulated prior to the fumble.

i don't want to bash on high school statisticians too much, they are doing a tough job and have a lot to keep track of, normally without the benefit of good video tape to double check after the game. but i don't put a whole lot of faith in high school football statistics.
rep

Postby option18 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:34 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Also I was shocked to see that Seth Nichols was left off the all state quarterback.  He had near 2,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing.  I heard he was 2nd in the state in total yards to first team quarterback Dustin Brend.  I don't understand how he can be left off, he led his team to a 7-2 record.  Its not like he played on a bad team or anything. 

I think another reason that Brend was above Nichols would be that CV beat DP without having their best defensive player and second best receiver in Jason Novacek.
option18
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:44 pm

If its a close decision also I'm sure upper class men will get the upper hand too. 9-man has to be the toughest when giving out all state having so many kids spread out the state. How can ya tell if a kid from rolla is better then a kid from like a divide county. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 am

option18 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Also I was shocked to see that Seth Nichols was left off the all state quarterback.  He had near 2,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing.  I heard he was 2nd in the state in total yards to first team quarterback Dustin Brend.  I don't understand how he can be left off, he led his team to a 7-2 record.  Its not like he played on a bad team or anything. 

I think another reason that Brend was above Nichols would be that CV beat DP without having their best defensive player and second best receiver in Jason Novacek.

Novacek played the whole game. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:24 pm

SCC wrote:It's hard to compare players on stats alone.  This is true in every sport, on every level.  Stats should only be one indicator for making comparisons.

How many QB's in the history of 9-man football have thrown for over 2,000 yards?

Nicholes got the shaft!

Come on the kid is 6-5 195 lbs and ran for another 500 give me a break you don't get stats like that without being great!

I saw Dakota Prairie play in McVille this year their right gaurd was like 135 lbs.

They finished 7-2 the only losses were at Lakota and Central Valley.  Give me a break! That that kid did not deserve all state just because he is a junior? get real.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby andy_7 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:24 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
SCC wrote:It's hard to compare players on stats alone.  This is true in every sport, on every level.  Stats should only be one indicator for making comparisons.

How many QB's in the history of 9-man football have thrown for over 2,000 yards?

Nicholes got the shaft!

Come on the kid is 6-5 195 lbs and ran for another 500 give me a break you don't get stats like that without being great!

I saw Dakota Prairie play in McVille this year their right gaurd was like 135 lbs.

They finished 7-2 the only losses were at Lakota and Central Valley.  Give me a break! That that kid did not deserve all state just because he is a junior? get real

I think the right guys were put on the all state team.  Maybe this kid didn't talked about around the coaches i dunno.  I just don't see anyone he would take the place of.
andy_7

Postby homer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:18 pm

erbes from richland passed for over 3000 yds and 41 tds and ran for 1800 plus and 24 tds in two years but he was all state 2 years on defense
homer

Postby homer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:20 pm

plus in the same year martwick was over 2000 plus and 30 some tds
homer

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:33 am

andy_7 wrote:
GRIDIRON GURU wrote:

Nicholes got the shaft!

They finished 7-2 the only losses were at Lakota and Central Valley.  Give me a break! That that kid did not deserve all state just because he is a junior? get real

I think the right guys were put on the all state team.  Maybe this kid didn't talked about around the coaches i dunno.  I just don't see anyone he would take the place of.

I remember him passing and running all over Tri-County.  I think he had 350 total yards that game with 6 touchdowns.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby andy_7 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:01 am

he might have had good stats but making it to the playoffs adds more to a kids resume.
andy_7

Postby RB/LB 34 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree. And most of the time, the all-state selections are from playoff teams and the farther you get in the playoffs, the more people on your team seem to be all-staters
RB/LB 34
NDPreps Starter

Postby cardinal10 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:35 pm

RB/LB 34 wrote:I agree. And most of the time, the all-state selections are from playoff teams and the farther you get in the playoffs, the more people on your team seem to be all-staters

I also agree.  And I think your statement has some good common sense to it, if your team is winning you must have better players.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:45 pm

cardinal10 wrote:
RB/LB 34 wrote:I agree. And most of the time, the all-state selections are from playoff teams and the farther you get in the playoffs, the more people on your team seem to be all-staters

I also agree.  And I think your statement has some good common sense to it, if your team is winning you must have better players.

So your saying a 7-2 record is a bad record?  It was just as good as most of playoff teams and better then some playoff team scores.  Dakota Prairie obviously had a good team by getting LB Nick Bye and WR Ross Severson on the 2nd Team All-State roster.  So your saying that he doesn't deserve to get on the team because he didn't make it playoffs? Thats no excuse.  A perfect example of this is last season when Jordan Beckstrand, his junior season for Maddock, ran for over 1,200 yards and 400 yards receiving but was left off becuase his team won 2 to 4 games.  This season he ran for 1,800 yards and they had a playoff team.  He got on the 1st team all-state roster this year.  Dakota Prairie beat Maddock, Nichols was second in the state in total yards wiht over 2,000 yards passing and 500 yards rushing.  Led the team to a 7-2 record.  If you can tell me the stats of Cooper and the quarterback from Washburn then maybe I will stop arguing, but I remember hearing Washburn had a 5-4 record?
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby homer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:18 pm

i think the coaches should make sure the stats are all on the ndhsaa web site so every one can look and see who they play and how they did against who i know that ndhsaa is very persistant in that all coaches do that
homer

Postby Pfenix » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Washburn was 4-5
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby andy_7 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:02 am

cooper is from westhope-newburg
andy_7

Postby cardinal10 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:38 am

Last year, Backstrom had a lot of yards against everyone's second stringers because they were getting blown out in the 1st half, but their coach left the starters in and everyone knew that.  This year he was legit.  If DP could have done a little more, he probably would have made it. 
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to 9 - Man