congratulations to TLM

The teams in 9 Man

Postby jlr48 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:53 am

Just waiting to hear some of the Napoleon fans say congratulations to TLM on a hard fought football game. For a bunch of kids to work that hard all year and fight their way into a championship game after receiving no recognition from the media or polls this year, and then to put up a very good fight in the title game, I think they should be given a pat on the back! Telling them they were steamrolled, they gave up, and they didnt deserve to be there because they were just a cinderella team isn't exactly good sportsmanship.
jlr48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 am

jlr48 wrote:Just waiting to hear some of the Napoleon fans say congratulations to TLM on a hard fought football game. For a bunch of kids to work that hard all year and fight their way into a championship game after receiving no recognition from the media or polls this year, and then to put up a very good fight in the title game, I think they should be given a pat on the back! Telling them they were steamrolled, they gave up, and they didnt deserve to be there because they were just a cinderella team isn't exactly good sportsmanship.

blaming the media for not ranking a team, with two losses in the regular season, borderlines on idiocy. what tlm did in the playoffs was more than special...it was amazing and showed what kind of grit and determination that group of kids has.

hindsight is 20/20, but lets not give a team that has two losses some special recognition over other teams that ran the table in the regular season.
rep

Postby Diamond D » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:39 am

Geeze man.  How much longer you going to whine about this???  Two threads locked and you post again wondering about TLM.

If you want to feel sorry for your team and everything, so be it, but to ask Napoleon fans to congratulate TLM??  wow. 

I grew up just a short distance from TLM.  Every year I always heard the same thing.  TLM has the fastest kid, the strongest althlete, the longest jumper, yada yada yada.....and there was always excuses when they didn't win Regionals or the state track meet.

I have lots of friends over there and played ball with plenty of them, but man you gotta leave well enough alone.

Congratulations to the Napoleon Imperials.
Diamond D

Postby jlr48 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:20 am

no, you are all right. It's a good idea to cut down the runner up and tell them they didn't deserve to be there. My apologies to all of you.

And I'm not making up excuses for TLM losing, if you have read any of my posts you will realize they congratulate Napoleon for being the better team, not cut them down.
jlr48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Diamond D » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:08 am

Who's cutting them down and saying they didn't deserve to be there?  Nobody on this post has said that.  :shock:

It is like you want some recognition or something?  If people want to do that let them do that on their own. 

Quote:  "Just waiting to hear some of the Napoleon fans say congratulations to TLM on a hard fought football game."

Wow!  I am amazed at your arogance.  Just waiting huh?  Like they OWE it to you?  It is like you think TLM was the first ever team to loose at a state championship.

In 1990 I lost to Fred Fridely for the 1 on 1 championship at Minot State Basketball Camp.  Hey Fred, you out there?  I am waiting for you to get on this Forum and congratulate me on a hard fought game. ;)

If the teams shook hands on the field afterwards, there is a good chance Napoleon congratulated them at that point.  I don't think they NEED to come on here and do that just for you.

You are ruining it for the Trojans right now.  You make them look weaker and weaker every time you get on here "waiting" for someone to shake their hand.

Maybe you should order team shirts for them or maybe you could convince Laber down in Napoleon to throw TLM a bonfire or something.  Maybe that would make you feel better.  Afterall, they deserve it.  They fought hard through thick and thin and ended up being state runners-up in football.

Fred, I am sitting by the phone.  

Diamond D

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:18 am

I have lost a lot of respect for TL-M these past few weeks by reading the posts of their "fans". It is one thing to come in and brag your team up a bit but it is another to expect the state to fall on it's knees and thank the heavens for this team and ask the Governor to declare Turtle Lake Day for all of North Dakota.......the last one didn't happen.

Through the loss of respect I still kept my word and cheered for the Trojans in the title game. I know relatively nothing about 9-man football and watched with intent and in hopes that the injury to McCleary would somehow fare well for the Trojans. In the end the Imperials ran the better game. 

I don't know if TL-M played poorly or not but the day of the championship they weren't the better team and it showed....... clearly! The performance of the Trojans made me think that they were indeed a fluke winner in their previous two games which were decided by 6 points each.

Be gracious in your loss, in every championship there is one winner and one loser. Keep your dignity and accept your fate and prestige as the states runner-up. It is one heck of an accomplishment.  

Diamond, I hate to disappoint you but I don't think that Fred is going to call but here's to you on being the 1 on 1 runner up in 1990. Congratulations! It was a hard fought battle!
Last edited by A - Football Fan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jlr48 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:53 am

Diamond D-----Quoting goatspeed "I think its clear to everyone but the TLM fanboys on the thread here that Napoleon didn't play the best opponent, just the cinderella team that knocked of the good teams, then let their true quality show in the title game."  

I thought everyone is allowed their opinion on here? Didn't know it was illegal to defend your opinion!
jlr48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jlr48 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Oh yeah Diamond D, I've never experienced how the fans from TLM have acted in the past, not from that part of the state, so my apologies to you for them being such whiners.

I didn't post anything at all until I saw the napoleon fans cutting down the TLM guys after they had won the championship. Very unsportsmanlike.

I don't think Fred is gonna call u either because he steamrolled you, could've done it with his eyes closed, and u didn't even deserve to be there because you were the cinderella basketball star who knocked off the other guys with fluke victories, so he isn't even proud of the victory.
jlr48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

:stirpot:

I dont think it was Napoleon fans cutting down TLM "players. It was just people who sat here all week and read post after post of how TLM was going to run all over Napoleon, how Dewald "wasnt a power back," and so on and so forth. Maybe if some of those folks would have let the kids decide it on FRIDAY instead of fans "trying" to decide it on Monday-Thursday there wouldnt be much discussion.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby footballfanwatcher_99 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:49 pm

who cares really they just won a state title, i think everyone would be pretty excited after that win, so im sure sportsmanship was the last thing on their minds, so who cares, TLM maybe needs to man up a little bit and stop their crying.
footballfanwatcher_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indagame » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:05 pm

I would just like to say that i hope no one has actually lost respect for the TL/M team. I do not know any of them personally, therefore i cannot say i don't respect them. i do not think it was right how their fans sometimes talked but, hey they're just really loyal fans i guess but unless some of those posts were actually players (which i really have no way of knowing) i cannot say i have lost respect for their team.

I think that this whole thing just needs to stop right now i also feel some posts on here should be deleted and maybe some members banned.

Let's not be judging a whole group of kids though because of what some of their fans may have said. If any of those posts were made by players then so be it, but i just think that they are better than that.
Indagame

Postby TLM_football » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm

I haven't made many posts on here, but I think I need to make one last post about the 2006 season! The final buzzer has rung and Napoleon came out on top. The number one team in the state. They were the better team and played better ball then TL-M did in the championship game. I think the TL-M players should be proud of their Runner-up finish and Napoleon should be proud of their championship win.

People can talk and brag all they want but the game is over and we all have to move on. That includes both sides.

I was at the game to watch my son play in his first championship game. When the game was over both teams shook hands and gave each other congrats!!!!!! When my son got home we had a talk about the game. He said that Napoleon players congratulated them and they also congratulated the Napoleon players on their win. He also stated he had talked with Dewald. Dewald told my son that he was a hard hitter and played hard during the game. My son also told DeWald that he was a hard hitter and a very good ball player. My point being is that the young men on the field took care of their business there, that day!!!!!

Now lets take care of our business.

CONGRATULATIONS to Napolean on a State 9 Man Championship and a great year!

CONGRATULATIONS to Turtle Lake-Mercer on a State 9 Man Runner-up and a great year!

I can't wait for next year, maybe these two teams can make it back to the championship game next year for a rematch.
TLM_football

Postby andy_7 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:26 pm

well said
andy_7

Postby bison_18 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Any word on schools looking at Cullum??
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDHeisman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:00 am

I heard at one point awhile ago that U-Mary, Bemidji and Minot were interested. I also heard that U-Mary was his preferred choice at that point. But this was before he blew up in the playoffs so I wouldnt doubt if a few more schools have expressed interest. If he is any good at coverage he has the physical tools to be a DB/kick returner for a very good college program. UND or NDSU? I would love to see it.
UNDHeisman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby andy_7 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:19 am

UNDHeisman wrote:I heard at one point awhile ago that U-Mary, Bemidji and Minot were interested. I also heard that U-Mary was his preferred choice at that point. But this was before he blew up in the playoffs so I wouldnt doubt if a few more schools have expressed interest. If he is any good at coverage he has the physical tools to be a DB/kick returner for a very good college program. UND or NDSU? I would love to see it.

he looked faster than griffinth from richland when i went to the game on friday.  I don't really know if he has more agility than him though.  I could see him returning kicks for one of the big schools.  He might have to work for a scholarship though in the bigger schools.
andy_7

Postby Pablo Sanchez » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:57 pm

[user=581]andy_7[/user] wrote:
he looked faster than griffinth from richland when i went to the game on friday.  I don't really know if he has more agility than him though.  I could see him returning kicks for one of the big schools.  He might have to work for a scholarship though in the bigger schools.

i have played against both of them.....................nobody is gonna catch either of them if they get behind you......................but i would have to say griffinth was quicker left and right than cullum.........both are extremely fast and great backs
Last edited by Pablo Sanchez on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo Sanchez
NDPreps Rookie

Postby tommykramer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:33 am

Cullum will not be getting any scholorship offers from the big two, because of his size.  As far as comparing him to Griffith, totally different style of teams.  Cullum probably would beat ol Johnny in a 100 but John would be leading through the first 30.  And just for the record TL-M fans, John Griffith had no problem making nasty cuts on the turf, ask Divide County.  THE only reason I added that was someone posted in a different thread that Cullum cut too hard for turf.  Anyone ever heard of Barry Sanders???
Last edited by tommykramer on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby TLM Dad » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:03 am

[font=Times New Roman]Congratulations to Napoleon on their 9man State Championship.  I was sorry to see that Kriss McCleary was unable to play for most of that Championship game.  I pray before and during every football game that I watch, praying that no athlete on either team is injured.   My heart went out to Kriss, that he had to miss much of the game.  I am thankful that he has next season to look forward to.  [/font]

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Eddie was warned before the game that he should tape his ankles before playing on the carpet type turf, but he had never before been injured playing football and thought that the tape was therefore not useful and thought the tape would only slow him down.  As you may or may not know, Eddie, rolled his ankle to the turf when he made his first cut just a few yards into his first carry of the Championship game.  Only those who have watched Eddie run all year, knew by watching the rest of the game that he was no longer able to cut or run his fastest after he was injured.  For this, our hearts went out to Eddie and his teammates.  Perhaps Eddie and some of his fellow teammates will get another shot at the Alerus turf this coming summer if they are offered a chance to play in the Shrine game.   [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Thank you to all who prayed for Kris, Eddie and all others who were injured.  Eddie could not walk on Saturday morning but after icing and resting his ankle he was soon able to hobble around.  On Monday the Sports Medicine personnel in Bismarck evaluated Eddie’s ankle and determined there was no permanent damage.  He is now walking without a limp and is planning to go to open gym (play basketball) tonight.  [/font]

[size=25][font=Times New Roman]I enjoy reading the “positiveâ€Â
TLM Dad

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:49 am

Well put, TLM dad.  It's good to see people who do post on here who have some common sense with what they write.  Hopefully more people can follow your lead.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hasbeen144 life » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:04 pm

I agree TLM dad.  There is wisdom in your words.
hasbeen144 life

Postby tommykramer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:30 am

Tl-M Dad - You should be very proud of what your kid accomplished.  I spoke with some friends of mine from the TL-M area and they said that Eddie was one kid that put in the time and effort all through the years to become the players he is.  Alot of kids with his ability don't  put in the effort and yours did, you should be very proud!  The only reason you are seeing some remarks regarding your son and the TL-M team is because of those that have posted non-stop about how great TL-M is, how the refs jobbed them, how the turf was a factor, etc etc..  I guarantee if they had not been so biased that the reaction to your guys great season would have been much different.  As far as my remarks about fast Eddie regarding getting a scholorship offer from the big two go - it has nothing to do with Eddie's ability, it has to do with the past records of these two schools and recruiting of nine man players.  Because of the size of the field a fast nine-man player has the opportunity to put up some huge numbers, this is not an opinion, but a fact.  Nine man is also regarded as playing lesser competition, which sometimes is true, but recently I would say that most good nine man teams could compete with the next level up in 11 man.  Examples Wyndmere Lidgerwood 11-2 and Hankinson FCT 9-2 both were 9 man schools two years ago.  Last years best players in nine-man from ND did not get any scholorship offers to the big two and I didn't see any graduating seniors from this year that will change that.  The one 9-man kid that I know of that did go to a big school was the FB from Rolla? and he was offered a guaranteed walk-on.  Is this fair?  Probably not, but it is what it is.   The big schools are looking for big size with big speed.  They'll get CB's and WR's and alot of time their RB's from out-state schools.  Again, congratulations to all the nine man teams, it was a wonderful season to watch, and I look forward to next year!
Last edited by tommykramer on Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Return to 9 - Man