2013 State Championship

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2013 State Championship

Postby BB11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Cavalier was very very impressive, and the Chrest kid was a complete stud. I didn't think there was any other player in the state in 9-man at Braaten's level, but Chrest is definitely a great player and definitely there. I still agree with Braaten being the Player of the year simply because of what he accomplished during the course of the year and how much importance he was to the WNG team. But, hat's off to the Tornadoes as they showed their dominance starting in August, and never slowed down the entire year.
I disagree with the people that say Cavalier was running up the score. It is the state championship game, and this is the last time those seniors are ever going to play for their HS team in their lives - and who knows if the other players will ever get a chance to be in the state championship again (Although, I'm pretty sure they will be). You let the players that started the game, season, etc.. finish what they started. I don't think that the WNG players had a problem with it as they still were playing hard w/out getting cheap at the end of the game.
That's just my observation, I could be wrong - but it looked as though both teams showed class and sportsmanship, as I saw a lot of kids on both sides, helping each other up, and slapping behinds after a good tackle, run, etc..
Congrats to WNG for making another magical run to the title game, and congrats to Cavalier for their overwhelming year-long dominance. I see no reason for animosity from anyone on here as a result of this game, but I guess that is just an outsider's opinion.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby imperials » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 pm

I agree that cavalier was the best team, no doubt , but they could of played some of the subs when they were up by 50
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:45 am

sportsking wrote:Cavalier was the most dominant team in 9-man football all year!

True.

Oh region 2 was was really weak this year!? Well I guess the teams from all the other regions were no better than the teams in region 2!

This is true for the most part.

imperials wrote:I agree that cavalier was the best team, no doubt , but they could of played some of the subs when they were up by 50

I agree. 50 point game in the state championship game I think everyone on both teams should have got to play.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:14 am

imperials wrote:I agree that cavalier was the best team, no doubt , but they could of played some of the subs when they were up by 50

If WNG would of put their subs in i'm sure Cavalier would have also.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:19 am

HONKER wrote:

If WNG would of put their subs in i'm sure Cavalier would have also.

HONKER is right...but WNG wasn't the type of team to "wave the white flag" and put in their 2nd team.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bulldog_power » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Congrats to cavalier on a great season. With how dominate cavalier was and knowing how many kids they have back next year, are they the early favorite next year to win it all. They will probably be close to as good as they were this year. Who else next year seems to have enough back to dethrone them?
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 pm

three things

HONKER...thanks for the support, when you didnt get it from me when NS was stompin everyone in Basketball...if I could do it over things would be different, hindsights 20/20.. :).... I'll never forget when your wife walked up to me (had never seen her before in my life) in the Alerus with 100's of people around and said "your winner within"....lol

Run the score up in a championship game?? in a semi final game?? in a Quarter Game?? all season??............. I dont own one, yet... but my favorite tee shirt out there right now is a black one I saw at State worn by an old fellow from Cavalier and on the back it said 416-0 ....and then all the scores of each match up.....its unusual....but it wasn't intentional if you will... 8)

Talked to some WNG fans the night before the game along with a few Hazen fans and unfortunately quite a few records were set for the Dakota bowl in 2012 (played Hazen 1A 11 man) and 2013 against WNG (Cav 9-man)....but all got to say is it takes heart to get there back to back!

ok 4

The State wont see another Ryan Chrest for a long time, Bratten got his award based on his "0" Ryan has "0" but if he plays at the next level it will be his "D" that got him there
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 am

Watched 4 games of football on Friday. Ryan Chrest was the best player on the field on both O and D. My opinion. He could play O and D at the next level. Again my opinion.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mailman_25 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am

HONKER wrote:Watched 4 games of football on Friday. Ryan Chrest was the best player on the field on both O and D. My opinion. He could play O and D at the next level. Again my opinion.

Lot of good players, but do you honestly think he is better than the RB from Fargo South?
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 am

HONKER wrote:Watched 4 games of football on Friday. Ryan Chrest was the best player on the field on both O and D. My opinion. He could play O and D at the next level. Again my opinion.

:P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:

Lot of good players, but do you honestly think he is better than the RB from Fargo South?

Johanneson is a good running back. Chrest is a good QB, a great runner and a better D back. His ability to run through people or around people is a huge asset. On D, he looks to hit the player not just tackle him.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:29 pm

HONKER wrote:
Mailman_25 wrote:

Johanneson is a good running back. Chrest is a good QB, a great runner and a better D back. His ability to run through people or around people is a huge asset. On D, he looks to hit the player not just tackle him.

Please remember the competition difference from 9 man to AAA. Chrest is basically a 9 man duplicate of Eric Bachmeier of Kindred. If you've never seen him play he's about the same as Chrest with the ease that he runs past people in the open field; HOWEVER (as Stephan A Smith would say), he's a bit more athletic than Chrest. This is why he can do this against AA teams.

And both Johanneson from South and Galindo from Bismarck are much better than Chrest. I'm speaking offensively here. Johanneson has so much size, speed, vision, and balance that is upside is incredible. He legitimately could be playing on ESPN in 3 years. With that said, Galindo is even a more polished back at this point in life.

Just please remember Chrest wouldn't look near as good playing against AA and AAA kids. Or even if he played against the same kids but they remembered to put the two other players on the field.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Indy5 wrote:
HONKER wrote:
Mailman_25 wrote:

Please remember the competition difference from 9 man to AAA. Chrest is basically a 9 man duplicate of Eric Bachmeier of Kindred. If you've never seen him play he's about the same as Chrest with the ease that he runs past people in the open field; HOWEVER (as Stephan A Smith would say), he's a bit more athletic than Chrest. This is why he can do this against AA teams.

And both Johanneson from South and Galindo from Bismarck are much better than Chrest. I'm speaking offensively here. Johanneson has so much size, speed, vision, and balance that is upside is incredible. He legitimately could be playing on ESPN in 3 years. With that said, Galindo is even a more polished back at this point in life.

Just please remember Chrest wouldn't look near as good playing against AA and AAA kids. Or even if he played against the same kids but they remembered to put the two other players on the field.

How will we ever know?LOL
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mailman_25 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:05 pm

You're very right in that we'll never know. It is fun to discuss though. All names mentioned are great in their own way.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 am

Indy5 wrote:
HONKER wrote:
Mailman_25 wrote:

This isn't true, and I'll tell you why... I watched all the games in 02,03,04 ...48 or so in a row, Cavalier was at AA....those teams would handle any of the teams in AA the last couple of years and Ryan Chrest would have been a standout an any of those Tornado teams....Your Post has a big misconception in it that stems from this....you dont know Ryan Chrest.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:47 am

I love how people think that just because someone plays in a lower division that automatically means that they aren't as good or better then the good players in the upper division. The performance that Cavalier and Mr. Chrest put on during the game on Friday was one of the most dominant I have seen. They steam rolled their competition all year and proved that they were the best team. Most years if we played the playoffs 10+ times we would have multiple winners (IMO). This year it wouldn't have mattered if we played 100 times (unless of course they lost like 3 players to injury) Cavalier would have won by 3+ scores in every game. Not taking anything away from WNG's Braaten (he is a great player who led his team past 3 very very good teams during the playoffs) but Chrest was by far the best player on the field on Friday.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I think good players would play at any level but difference between 9 man and 11 man is quite significant in game is much different in style. 9 man is much more wide open game especially in ND where you play on regulation field. If you beat initial surge or get in open and your quick your gone for a score. In 11 man you get breakaways but it much rarer that you have back or receiver take it to house. Players like Crest really shine in 9 man game because their quick and of good size where those athletic talents are so made for the 9 man game. When you get to 11 man game its more of drive oriented where you need put serious of plays that takes advantage of opposition and is more of chess game. Personally like 9 man football where quickness is of more value than size. I think it gives smaller kids advantage which like to see and emphasizes athletic ability over just size and strength.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Or you can watch D1 (and I'm not talkin Bison league, I'm talkin Alabama league) on Saturdays and you have it all, Strength, Size, Speed, Quickness & high scoring .... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby north1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I made a promise to myself I wouldn't post until my son was done with his high school football career so now I can, for what it's worth. Absolutely no doubt Cavalier was the better team, that's obvious. Even though I tried to stay upbeat before the game we could score more than others had against them, I knew it could get brutal. I knew firsthand we did not have much left in the tank. After Grant County, TGU and Shiloh Christian the tank was on empty. Especially Shiloh Christian, that took every bit of effort to come out on top. After that game the QB had a dinged knee, two players twisted ankles and one reagrivated a hairline fracture in his fibula. These are not in any way excuses as every team deals with injuries but we really only had two viable subs and one was a freshman. That being said, even at full strength Cavalier would have had to make alot of major mistakes just to try to keep it closer. They just don't do that anyway.
Nevertheless, I am proud of the accomplishments WNG acheived. I tried to console my son by saying how many young men get to play 26 games in two seasons, in two different divisions(class A 11 man and 9 man) and play in two state championship games? Also, how many make a return trip with only 3 starters off a 11 man team, none of which were on the offensive or defensive lines? Don't think my comment helped now, but hope he realizes it later in life.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 am

I'm not saying Chest isn't a good player. He would play at any level and can play in college. He's good, but he's not near as good as Johanneson. What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think a 9 man star is better than the AAA star just because they put up bigger numbers. Are they sometimes? Maybe. But in this case Johanneson, like I said, as Big Ten potential. Still some people think Chrest is better cause he ran for 300+ yards. In 9 man, you make one guy miss and you're gone where it takes an incredibly impressive play usually to bust one, in a 11 man game in general, but especially a AAA game.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:12 am

I'd like to hear from more than just winner, but how does Chrest compare to Trenbeth (sp) or Anderson? I know they played different positions, but who were the best players out of that group?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:24 am

Indy5 wrote:I'm not saying Chest isn't a good player. He would play at any level and can play in college. He's good, but he's not near as good as Johanneson. What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think a 9 man star is better than the AAA star just because they put up bigger numbers. Are they sometimes? Maybe. But in this case Johanneson, like I said, as Big Ten potential. Still some people think Chrest is better cause he ran for 300+ yards. In 9 man, you make one guy miss and you're gone where it takes an incredibly impressive play usually to bust one, in a 11 man game in general, but especially a AAA game.

your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this....Johanasson and Chrest are 2 completely different players...Finesse, headsy slasher, incredible vision & glue defender vs raw power and grace running back.....if youve seen what Cam Newton (create plays with his canniness) does in the NFL? then you've seen what Ryan can and could do in 9-man 1A, AA, AAA north dakota...does he have less of one or so stats in different divisions? probably...but I would guarantee he still has picks and TD's and long runs where no one could catch him....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:01 pm

north1 wrote:I made a promise to myself I wouldn't post until my son was done with his high school football career so now I can, for what it's worth. Absolutely no doubt Cavalier was the better team, that's obvious. Even though I tried to stay upbeat before the game we could score more than others had against them, I knew it could get brutal. I knew firsthand we did not have much left in the tank. After Grant County, TGU and Shiloh Christian the tank was on empty. Especially Shiloh Christian, that took every bit of effort to come out on top. After that game the QB had a dinged knee, two players twisted ankles and one reagrivated a hairline fracture in his fibula. These are not in any way excuses as every team deals with injuries but we really only had two viable subs and one was a freshman. That being said, even at full strength Cavalier would have had to make alot of major mistakes just to try to keep it closer. They just don't do that anyway.
Nevertheless, I am proud of the accomplishments WNG acheived. I tried to console my son by saying how many young men get to play 26 games in two seasons, in two different divisions(class A 11 man and 9 man) and play in two state championship games? Also, how many make a return trip with only 3 starters off a 11 man team, none of which were on the offensive or defensive lines? Don't think my comment helped now, but hope he realizes it later in life.

Great wording momma or dad, we all love those boys for how hard they worked. I will be the first to admit that I did not see them going as far this year as they did last year. They accomplished so much more than I thought they would. Going from 11 man to 9 man is considered one of the hardest moves in high school football.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Gunning4ya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:23 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I'm not saying Chest isn't a good player. He would play at any level and can play in college. He's good, but he's not near as good as Johanneson. What I'm saying is that a lot of people will think a 9 man star is better than the AAA star just because they put up bigger numbers. Are they sometimes? Maybe. But in this case Johanneson, like I said, as Big Ten potential. Still some people think Chrest is better cause he ran for 300+ yards. In 9 man, you make one guy miss and you're gone where it takes an incredibly impressive play usually to bust one, in a 11 man game in general, but especially a AAA game.

your still missing it completely Indy....I would say nobody (especially on this forum) thinks this....Johanasson and Chrest are 2 completely different players...Finesse, headsy slasher, incredible vision & glue defender vs raw power and grace running back.....if youve seen what Cam Newton (create plays with his canniness) does in the NFL? then you've seen what Ryan can and could do in 9-man 1A, AA, AAA north dakota...does he have less of one or so stats in different divisions? probably...but I would guarantee he still has picks and TD's and long runs where no one could catch him....

You are both making it sound like Ryan Chrest is not good at what he does. He just had a season of dreams and you are tearing him down.

Ryan Chrest, congrats on the awesome season and the championship. Many good lucks and many successes on what you choose to do in the future. All of ND will be watching.

Hopefully you and Hunter can play either with or against each other some day.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:Great wording momma or dad, we all love those boys for how hard they worked. I will be the first to admit that I did not see them going as far this year as they did last year. They accomplished so much more than I thought they would. Going from 11 man to 9 man is considered one of the hardest moves in high school football.

according to who?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man