Thoughts on Cavalier

The teams in 9 Man

Thoughts on Cavalier

Postby coach_u » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Is Cavalier really as good as everybody says they are?? Are they state champs this year?
coach_u
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Thoughts on Cavalier

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm

coach_u wrote:Is Cavalier really as good as everybody says they are?? Are they state champs this year?

I don't know if you can consider them State Champs yet with what is out west for teams. Are they the best in the East? IMO, YES... Is their region weak? YES...which could hurt them in the playoffs.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby panthercub » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:15 pm

How can you say their region is weak? How do you know Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, or Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page couldn't beat any other team in the state... that's right you don't! That is why we play the game! We had the same discussion last year about region 3 being weak and they had three teams that went deep into the playoffs in North Star, and TGU. I would say the 2-4 teams in region two are pretty darn good but Cavalier is just on another level than any other team right now. Robbins is the fastest and strongest kid on the field in any game they've played this year... watch out they are the real deal!
Last edited by panthercub on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 pm

panthercub wrote:How can you say their region is weak? How do you know Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, or Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page couldn't beat any other team in the state... that's right you don't! That is why we play the game! We had the same discussion last year about region 3 being weak and they had three teams that went deep into the playoffs in North Star, Divide County, and TGU. I would say the 2-4 teams in region two are pretty darn good but Cavalier is just on another level than any other team right now. Robbins is the fastest and strongest kid on the field in any game they've played this year... watch out they are the real deal!

This is false. DC wasn't in region 3.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sleepy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 am

Weren't they crowned the state champs last year during the season? I suppose Cavalier fans will be a little more cautious this year.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am

Being from Cavalier, I agree totally. The football team is a very down to earth bunch of kids who have a goal. Hopefully, we can finally break the championship drought. No championships are won in the regular season or in polls. Realistically, there are probably 5 or 6 teams with a shot at the title, and Cavalier is one of them. We are just trying to improve week to week and not look ahead. Last year, New Rockford-Sheyenne was the best team and they proved it in the playoffs. We have a tough game this week on the road against a very good Hatton-Northwood team that no one is overlooking or underestimating. Even though a like reading the posts on this site, very few are players or coaches that actually have an effect on the outcomes of the games.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Sleepy wrote:Weren't they crowned the state champs last year during the season? I suppose Cavalier fans will be a little more cautious this year.

Find the post where they were crowned Champs....

your not a champ until you win the championship as a team.....whats cool is they have "champions" (in the best sense of the word) Coaching and Playing who have yet to win a Football championship............the Tornadoes do have hardware in the tank and I'm sure they would like to add to it........."One game at a time" sweet Jesus of Football....

the always cautious, Winner-Within.. 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewanderer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:22 pm

good luck to yah! :wink:
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm

winner-within wrote:Find the post where they were crowned Champs....

There were posters, myself included, that thought Cavalier was a big favorite last year, even after their first loss to NRS.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

PREP FOOTBALL: Cavalier has outscored its opponents 280-0
A 56-point game would be an offensive outburst for most teams. For Cavalier, its 56-point game decreased its season scoring average by 4.7 points. Cavalier is off to a 4-0 start and, other than a 56-0 win against Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page, has scored more than 70 points in every game.

A 56-point game would be an offensive outburst for most teams.

For Cavalier, its 56-point game decreased its season scoring average by 4.7 points. Cavalier is off to a 4-0 start and, other than a 56-0 win against Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page, has scored more than 70 points in every game.

Cavalier, the No. 1-ranked team in North Dakota 9-man high school football, has outscored its opponents 280-0.

“When (our point total) was in the 100s, it seemed pretty amazing then,” said senior quarterback-defensive back Ryan Chrest.

“But you don’t focus on the points. You just want to play good defense. It’s pretty funny; we could still be 4-0 if we were averaging one touchdown a game. The offense is for show. Defense wins championships.”

On defense and offense, Cavalier has been dominant. The Tornadoes have the highest offensive scoring average as well as the lowest defensive points-allowed average in the entire state, regardless of classification.

The offense has been so efficient that the Tornadoes have punted only three times this season. Chrest has rushed 25 times for 375 yards and eight touchdowns and is 13-of-20 passing for 258 yards and four TDs. Senior classmate Brock Robbins has rushed 40 times for 494 yards and nine TDs.

Lots of mop-ups

The numbers could be even higher if the Tornadoes’ starting unit played more. But big leads have meant a lot of playing time for reserves.

“Our starting offense has played three quarters in only one game,” Cavalier coach Sandy Laxdal said. “In the other games, it’s been the first half and, at best, maybe the first series in the third quarter.

“We’re a run-first team. We have big-play potential with our speed. We’ve been pretty efficient.”

And the Tornadoes have been stingy on defense.

The defense starts up front, where the line of Justin Gibson, Blake Kaercher, Jeff Stith and Bryton Kaercher has controlled the line of scrimmage.

Robbins is a playmaker at linebacker, leading the team in tackles (40), sacks (9.5) and tackles for loss (19). Chrest anchors the secondary. Rounding out the starting unit are linebackers Cody Walton, Keyton Smith and Dylon Stevenson.

“Brock is so quick off the ball and anticipates so well,” Laxdal said. “He flies around and makes plays. The other kids feed off that. Ryan covers the field from sideline to sideline, making plays all over. And he’s the one who gets everybody in the right place.

“But it takes an entire defense to shut down teams, not just a few kids. Our biggest strength is our team speed. You need that in 9-man, to take away the big, game-breaking plays that you see a lot. Our kids get to the ball and do a lot of gang tackling.”

Offensive statistics don’t interest the Tornadoes. Defensive stats do.

“We’re covering the field and getting nine guys to the ball,” Chrest said. “We have competition about who is getting the most tackles. If somebody cuts in front of you to get a guy, you help him up and say, ‘Hey, you took that tackle from me.’

“It’s a pride thing, not letting anybody score on us.”
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 pm

I think Cavalier has a shot at going through regular season with complete shutout of region teams. If they get by Thompson this coming weak with shutout I would think they would have good chance of pitching shutout for the regular season. Fourwinds has struggled and has been shutout by number of different teams so I would think Cavalier would have a good chance also of pitching a shutout. My guess is that Thompson will be prepared and may create a score. Cavalier will be at home against Thompson so it just may happen. I don't think if this happens you will see this happen in long time again.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 am

I agree....even if anybody does score, the fact that they have racked up over 300 points and held to zero is quite amazing....the school averages about 25 kids less a class than it did 20 years ago...and yes they used to play AA with Oksendahl, we all know that.......but its the tradition and heart and pride and community that keeps the Football Program going in Cavalier..........stay humble!.. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:23 am

I just wanna say I cant believe how hard the group of players play for the Tornadoes
its simply not a big deal to most of the fans from Cavalier if the other team was to score...its going to happen (I think lol) any ways its a MAJOR deal to the Players (what a group) with Thompson in town last night, there was going to be a TD by the Tommies and out of nowhere on the 5 yard line comes Chrest to derail the Tommie player then they hold them for 4 plays....Wow!

if there was a stigma of Cockyness as a result of the 2011 clan ....Its Gone... :P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man