TL-M V. NAPOLEON

The teams in 9 Man

Postby pro341 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:25 pm

I would  like to start the CHAMPIONSHIP thread right now!!!

This should be another fantastic game! Both teams come in on a huge roll. TLM has knocked off the #1 and #2 teams in the state in consecutive games to get to Grand Forks and Napoleon has just crushed through the playoffs. SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE!!

Has anyone seen both teams this year and if so whats your take on this game? Since I've only seen TLM, I'll have to say that they should match up well with an explosive offense. Their defense has been a little suspect the last 2 weeks but hey, that was against Mott/Regent and DC, two of the very best offenses in the state.

Can't wait for this game, see you all at the Alerus!!!:cool:
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:28 pm

pro341 wrote:This should be another fantastic game! Both teams come in on a huge roll. TLM has knocked off the #1 and #2 teams in the state in consecutive games to get to Grand Forks and Napoleon has just crushed through the playoffs. SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE!!

napoleon is the #2 team in the state. divide was #3 i think
rep

Postby rep » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:35 pm

i've seen two of napoleon's playoff games...i didn't see the game in hillsboro.

in both games napoleon basically just bludgeoned the other team into submission...i would suggest that jordan dewald would likely get around 30 carries in the game.

dewald is the hammer, gross is the finese back. just when you think they are running the ball for the 11th consecutive play, they hit grunefelder on the playaction. their offense is nothing intricate, but it is predicated on patience. it is an offense that is meant to break a team down by the third and fourth quarters. in both playoff games i saw, the games were fairly close in the first half and the jv could have been playing in the start of the fourth quarter.

defense is tough and begins with the linebackers. grunefeder is a big hitter. mccleary is no slouch. d-line isn't top-notch but is very good...i'd say the same about the secondary. linebackers might be the best group in the state...tough to say though, i haven't seen too many teams.

the last team to beat napoleon was richland, last year, and they did it with speed. if anything, i would suggest that is how a team would beat them again. but the problem is, if napoleon gets up by a couple of scores, they can just hammer on you. so basically if there are any jitters, i give napoleon the edge.

mccleary rolled an ankle against lakota, but i don't think it'll be anything serious. he rolled it in the first quarter, sat out the second and played defense in the third and fourth but not offense. i'd guess that he should be a go for friday.

ummmmm....that is about all i can think of

Last edited by rep on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby pro341 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Speed ya say will beat Napoleon~ well they will definitely have their hands full with all world Eddie Cullom. Today he had an 80 yard TD run and about a 70 yard TD catch. TLM is built with speed. Cullom runs a 4.6 40 and Lang (the fullback) runs a low 5-40. Not bad considering he's about 6'2~ 230. He was also named the top Linebacker at the NDSU camp this year, so his defensive abilities are off the charts too.

Add in the mix the QB Thomas and wideout Nelson and you have a really nice QB-receiver combo. They hooked up numerous times the last 2 weeks and had at least one scoring connection. TL-M also likes to use numerous formations. They will line Cullom up in the backfield and go 2-back with him and Lang and they can split him out wide. They'll also use a motion play to move him from the backfield to wideout pre-snap which is especially deadly if the defense has set.

TLM has the biggest lines in 9-man. They run about 1200 lbs across the front line. They have a tendancy to wear down opponants late in games and that opens up holes for the backs. Their D-line won't awe you with the pass rush, but they will definitely clog up the middle on run D. The secondary is average but came up with huge plays against M/R, picking off 2 key passes late in the 2nd half to seal the game.

All in all, this should be a classic matchup. I'll go with TL-M in a squeaker based on the speed factor, 34-30!!
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:55 am

I watched highlights all year of TL-M and Cullum is fast/quick and every other adjective in that book. He gets to the hole quick and is very shifty, once he hits the open field he really turns it on.

I think if Napoleons line can---and they can---keeps their LBs off blocks they'll be able to slow down TL-M. Napoleons line is big and strong and it really allows their LBs to stay free and make the tackles.

Same goes on the otherside of the ball. Napoleons O line can really move the FB, will TL-M be able to make the tackles?

I love this matchup
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballdude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:53 am

i think this will be one heck of a game. 2 great backs. napoleon has got the power back in dewald, but tlm has got the quick back of cullum. but im going to go with Napoleon in a close one. ive rooted for napoleon all through the playoffs and im not going to give up now!!!
footballdude

Postby B » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:06 am

I'm going with Napoleon and I don't really think it's going to be close.  (depending on a certain ankle sprain, then it might be close.) 

I was at the Napoleon game yesterday and I think they have awesome team speed.  It's amazing how fast their big kids close on the ball.  They get 3 kids to the ballcarrier on every play.  I'll go with the better defense.
B

Postby option18 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:30 am

Does TL-M have much of a passing attack?
option18
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sapp_jr_99 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:17 am

They like to bomb it deep and let Cullum run it down.
sapp_jr_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ticket0115 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:38 pm

This is going to be a smashmouth game that will be decided by the defense and also the Running Backs. In the case of Napoleon Dewald and Gross and Turtle Lake Eddie Cullum. I think it is scary how fast Eddie is going to be on the Alerus Center turf. I also think that Turtle Lakes linebackers are just as good as Napoleons.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby TLM_football » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:12 pm

The last three games TLM has played in have been wars! Some of the best football I have seen in along time. Hard hitting and intensity that is off the charts.

This should be a very good good game, like a championship game should be. I don't think you are going to want to miss this one. I am going to miss the deer opener so I can watch this match up. I would like to wish both teams good luck and hope that the game is injury free.

TLM, BELIEVE you guys know what I am talking about.

I will see you all at Grand Forks. I can't wait.
TLM_football

Postby UNDHeisman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Ticket is right, Cullum on turf is gonna be rediculous. The Alerus turf is a very fast surface even in comparison to most other turf fields. I would say that playing indoors on turf benefits TL-M more than Napoleon.
UNDHeisman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tommykramer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:49 am

pro341 wrote:Speed ya say will beat Napoleon~ well they will definitely have their hands full with all world Eddie Cullom. Today he had an 80 yard TD run and about a 70 yard TD catch. TLM is built with speed.

The difference here is that Richland had 5 very fast guys last year, not one.  Napoleon would have been fine matching up with Richland had it been just one or two guys with wheels, but where Richland exploited the Imperials was with the 3rd 4th and 5th guys.  As far as defending Cullom when he goes to WR - I sure hope a defensive coordinator would have his team ready enough to notice that the main threat on the field is no longer lined up at tailback.

That being said, I will stick with my earlier prediction, a team from the East regions will win it, Napoleon is the team from the East, so thats my pick.  I'll also say that those posting about TL-M are probably correct on their teams ability, but you are probably not taking into account Napoleons.  Napoleon is big, fast, and tough, and if you think the teams out west hit, wait til you see these guys.  I look forward to a very entertaining game!
Last edited by tommykramer on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby pro341 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:44 am

Tommykramer, I doubt that Napoleon has seen much of TLM either. And as for this East v. West crap, its rediculous. The best TEAM will win no matter where they are from. Also, it looks like Napoleon likes to show up late for games, even trailing at halftime 7-0 in a playoff game. Believe me, if they come out flat against TLM, it will be OVER by half-time...

Oh yeah, one last thing. It doesn't matter if the D coordinator sees the formation change or not. If the the players can't/don't make the correct adjustments pre-snap (like DC could not do) you might see #24 in open space running wild. 
Last edited by pro341 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pro341 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 am

Footballdude- with all due respect, DeWald is NOT a power back. He weighs in at 175 and measures up to 5'8. That is not a power back and if he really is considered Napoleon's power back, they are in more trouble than even I would have thought.

Lang for TLM weighs in at 235 and is 6'0. That is a power back. It also appears that TLM has a HUGE (no pun intended) advantage on both lines. I find it hard to believe that Napoleon backs will have much running room in the middle.
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:03 am

I'll take Napoleon just because there seems to be a lot of TL-M fans that dont seem to give them much credit. :D
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby pro341 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:I'll take Napoleon just because there seems to be a lot of TL-M fans that dont seem to give them much credit. :D

Talent, I am quite sure Napoleon is a great team. They wouldn't have made it this far if not. From everything I've read, heard and seen, it doesn't seem like Napoleon matches up very well against TLM. They have only 2 guys over 200 lbs. on the team. TLM has 4 guys well over 200 on both lines. Most games are decided in the trenches and if the descrepancy is really this big, I just have a hard time seeing much success for Napoleon.
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby usedtowearajock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:42 am

I'll take Napoleon just because there seems to be a lot of TL-M fans that dont seem to give them much credit.

Natural Talent,

I beg to differ with you. Trojan fans are alive and well!!

These TROJAN MEN have given a bounce in the step of every person in this community and then some!

The last few weeks our MEN have been to war and came out victourious! Trojan fans have been there every inch of the way.

On Friday it will be war again. Napoleon may be wishing for a title or thinking they deserve one, but I'm here to tell you, HERE COME THE TROJANS, WE'VE BEEN TO WAR AND WE ARE READY FOR ANOTHER. WE DON'T TAKE PRISONERS.

P.S.

Cinderella team my butt
usedtowearajock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:45 am

pro341 wrote:
NATURAL TALENT wrote:I'll take Napoleon just because there seems to be a lot of TL-M fans that dont seem to give them much credit. :D

Talent, I am quite sure Napoleon is a great team. They wouldn't have made it this far if not. From everything I've read, heard and seen, it doesn't seem like Napoleon matches up very well against TLM. They have only 2 guys over 200 lbs. on the team. TLM has 4 guys well over 200 on both lines. Most games are decided in the trenches and if the descrepancy is really this big, I just have a hard time seeing much success for Napoleon.

I can bet that Lakota had more size than Napoleon also, looks like that didnt seem to matter. 
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:10 am

Sorry Pro But just because your boys are big doesn't mean squat. If they are 200  plus #'s theyd better be in great shape. Because pork slows as games progress. Dewald is no power back but he's got alot of heart and he's got some power its just too bad he's so arrogant. My pick is Napolean,Good Luck to both teams.:cool:
ndfootballwrestling

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:29 am

pro341 wrote:

My wife says size doesn't matter.  One thing I will say is that size is definetly an advantage but on the other hand so is speed. If the big guys can fire off the line quicker and get the control Napoleon will have their hands full. If the smaller guys are quicker off the line then how good is a 4.6 runningback if he can't get out of the backfield.

I have not watched a 9-man football game this year but these truths I can tell you. The game will be won on the line. Not the backs or recievers but the line. Everybody knows that. Really, size doesn't matter. Speed is what wins games in 9-man. I have no real favorite to win this game but if I had to pick a team to cheer for I pick TL-M.  
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby happy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:39 am

how bout u ask Lakota, Hillsboro, and North Sargent if Dewald is a power back, FOOLS  
happy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby footballdude » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:44 am

People talked all about Lakota's beef up front but Dewald had 329 yards RUSHING in 3 quarters , how many yards did cullom have????
Last edited by footballdude on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
footballdude

Postby goatspeed » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03 am

One thing to consider here is how many of the starters for Napoleon are wrestlers.  I'd give Napoleon the advantage in terms of championship experience.  The team that doesn't have that mental edge is prone to make mistakes, turnovers, and choke in the clutch.  As mental of a game as football is, you have to consider that Napoleon already knows how to mentally prepare for a championship.  That gives them an edge...it's not THE edge, but it's one to consider.
goatspeed

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:52 am

happy wrote:how bout u ask Lakota, Hillsboro, and North Sargent if Dewald is a power back, FOOLS  

From Milnor/N. Sargent:  Yeah, Dewald is a power back.  I would love to see his yards after contact.  After you hit him he has some much forward momentum that he picks up 3 yards.  Don't let the 175 he weighs fool you.  He is strong and has great balance. 
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to 9 - Man