opinions

The teams in 9 Man

opinions

Postby pigplet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:56 am

What is everyone thoughts on players sitting out of football to "save themselves" for other sports. My opinion is you can get hurt just crawling out of bed. There is resentment from friends to deal with, along with coaches. I also feel that there will be regrets later in their lives that they didn't live their lives to the fullest and do all that they could have in high school. Is this issue more or less prevalent in smaller schools, say class b verses class a?
pigplet
NDPreps Reserve

Re: opinions

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I've struggled with the whole participation issue as it is very prevalent in Ellendale (a minimum of 15 boys in grades 9 to 12 aren't playing football this year, for example) especially on the boys side and in multiple sports. However I don't think we have anyone not playing football this year in order to "save" themselves for another sport, just a bunch of guys who don't like football. So don't just assume that a kid not playing a sport is doing so to save themselves. However, to answer your question, I tend to agree that the notion of saving yourself has tremendous backfire potential and should not ever be the deciding factor for whether one plays or not plays.

Do other schools have participation issues in general? I've been told they do but would like to hear from the forum.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:17 pm

pigplet wrote:What is everyone thoughts on players sitting out of football to "save themselves" for other sports.

I think if you're a Tyus Jones or Byron Buxton go ahead and "save yourself," otherwise if you like football go and play.

My opinion is you can get hurt just crawling out of bed.

I think this is the main reason a lot of kids don't play and although you can get hurt doing anything the chances are far greater playing football.

I also feel that there will be regrets later in their lives that they didn't live their lives to the fullest and do all that they could have in high school.

When you're 25-30 yo you will never sit back and say to yourself, "Wow I completely regret playing HS football. If I had to do it over I'd definitely not play." Now if you don't play there is a chance you'll look back and regret not playing. Also, you have the rest of your life to work, you 1-4 more years to play HS football.

Side note: I remember after my last game my 8th grade year and our coach was telling us all to go next year, at the time a lot of kids wouldn't go out their freshman year. The coach told us the HS coaches wouldn't line us up in hitting lines with seniors and what not. I'll say this, that was total BS. When we did one on one tackling drills there was no preference given. Everyone hit everyone. I never did get hurt though.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby azcard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 pm

My son was won of those but flip the sports loved football and hated basketball and did not want to play. So we had a little sit down and I explained to him that this is a once in a life chance and I left it at that. He had to decide on his own. As season got closer he himself decided to go out and mid season became a starter on varsity. In his own words he told me I was right and he would have regretted not going out.
I just feel if you are a athlete and are talented take ever opportunity you have.

Back to EHS1998 on the Ellendale boys not going out I just feel that the coop is difficult for them to swallow.
Different program more competition and not sure what will happen. Just my opinion. I would love to see all them kids out I really think they would have a very good team. That was the purpose of the EEK Coop

As far as there being more injures in football I cant say that Last year there where far more knee injuries in basketball then football
azcard
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 pm

azcard wrote:Back to EHS1998 on the Ellendale boys not going out I just feel that the coop is difficult for them to swallow.
Different program more competition and not sure what will happen. Just my opinion. I would love to see all them kids out I really think they would have a very good team. That was the purpose of the EEK Coop

azcard - I honestly don't think the coop is that big of a factor, out of the 15 or so boys that I referenced earlier, 6 were on Ellendale's team last year. 2 of these aren't playing this year as they are dealing with existing injuries, 1 bought a car and needs to work to pay for it, 2 didn't play the year previous to last and simply didn't have the desire to play and the other had a lot of injury concerns last football season and is getting college looks in track, already a state champion as a sophomore.

I think the coop was absolutely the right move and they are going to be competitive. Even without these guys playing, they still have around 30 out and another 30 in 7th/8th.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby AF PN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I think at least a small part of downed participation is that if a kid does not think he is going to start, they won't play. I believe that there used to be a lot more kids that played and went out for the team, knowing they were probably not good enough to start, but they still went out for the sport, because their friends played and they wanted to be a part of something. A majority of these kids still put in a quality effort, and are quality backups, and make the team better overall because you have more numbers to work with, more competition, and it would allow you to do more drills in practice that you might not be able to do with less players. I don't believe that just "being on the team" is as important to some these days.
AF PN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pigplet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am

AF PN wrote:I think at least a small part of downed participation is that if a kid does not think he is going to start, they won't play. I believe that there used to be a lot more kids that played and went out for the team, knowing they were probably not good enough to start, but they still went out for the sport, because their friends played and they wanted to be a part of something. A majority of these kids still put in a quality effort, and are quality backups, and make the team better overall because you have more numbers to work with, more competition, and it would allow you to do more drills in practice that you might not be able to do with less players. I don't believe that just "being on the team" is as important to some these days.

The sad thing about the last statement is that it carries over to our world in general. We do not see the comradery like we used to anymore. No one has each others back anymore. There is less "take one for the team" attitudes as it is being replaced by "I will do what is best for me" attitudes. And I guess with todays society that is the direction that is here to stay. I got ripped the other day by a mom AND her son for questioning, and my question was "with all the talent you have your friends could sure use you" the kid told me "he has a better chance for a scholarship in basketball than football". We are a small class b school with 15 kids per class and MOST of the kids do everything to make it work. If the rest of the kids had the attitude of doing what is best for me, we would lose 50% of ALL of our extra activities do to lack of bodies. A college coach told me that unless a kid is a 5 star athlete , which is one in a thousand, he will take an all around student/athlete over a star "wanabe" any day of the week and put them on a scholarship.
pigplet
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 am

pigplet wrote: the kid told me "he has a better chance for a scholarship in basketball than football".

I don't know the kid in question so their circumstance might be unique, but this notion in general is typically a fallacy. The fact of the matter is that the sheer numbers in college football programs provide a much higher percentage chance of getting scholarship money than in basketball.

Case in point. We had a kid graduate some years back who was a 2 sport athlete getting recruited in both football and basketball. This kid wanted to play basketball at the D2 level in college and most people would probably say that this was their better sport in HS. However, during the recruiting process, it became very apparent that they were going to get much more of a scholarship opportunity at a higher level (D2 vs NAIA or JUCO) in football as opposed to basketball. This wasn't as much about ability in one sport versus the other than opportunities which are much more limited in basketball. I am not sure a lot of kids and their parents understand this.

Oh and the whole "full ride" notion outside of the D1 level is an absolute fallacy as well but that's a different discussion.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby pigplet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 am

Our kids were all three sport athletes plus band, chorus, fbla, ffa, etc..... where they excelled in one sport but really enjoyed their times with their teammates on the other squads. They all got really nice scholarships to their perspective schools, one a full ride the others respectable amounts. The really, really funny thing about the whole thing was in between 65-80% of the money given was for ACADEMICS..! Go figure huh? Kids......play all the sports and extra activities you possibly can when you are in school, but make dang sure that you concentrate on your grades cause in the long run that is what is going to take you through life.
pigplet
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

pigplet wrote:Our kids were all three sport athletes plus band, chorus, fbla, ffa, etc..... where they excelled in one sport but really enjoyed their times with their teammates on the other squads. They all got really nice scholarships to their perspective schools, one a full ride the others respectable amounts. The really, really funny thing about the whole thing was in between 65-80% of the money given was for ACADEMICS..! Go figure huh? Kids......play all the sports and extra activities you possibly can when you are in school, but make dang sure that you concentrate on your grades cause in the long run that is what is going to take you through life.

Thats right!...My Niece got over $14,000 in scholarships graduation day this past spring...she was a "Hardworking, self determined" athlete....did I say she was a "hardworking" self determined" Student
she was Valedictorian
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man