Region 2 2013

The teams in 9 Man

Region 2 2013

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:29 am

How's this region going to shake out next year? If I remember right, Lakota and NB are gone and Northstar and Benson Co move in. Will DVE have a varsity team?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Region 2 2013

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I think region should be faily balanced for the coming year. Teams i saw last year like Thompson were young and still developing, New Rockford should have enough returning to real competitive, FSHP and DVE are rebuilding, and i think North star and Benson county are in similar positions with losses from graduation. Hatton Northwood stepping down i don't know what they have but i am sure it will be transition for them to more wide open 9 man style of football.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Forgot about H-CV moving up and H-N coming down. This is basically a new region this year! I'm guessing Cavalier and NRS are probably still 1-2 with what they have returning?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Cavalier should be very strong again. Younger Robbins is turning into every bit the monster his brother is and their QB is back as well. NRS loses a fair amount of seniors so I think they'll fall off just a little.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

Read through the pigskin preview last night. I think Cavalier is the favorite in this region. Northstar and NRS both lost a lot from last year. I think Northstar will fall off more than NRS as they will struggle for numbers. FSHP, THompson, and BC all return a lot but each only won 2-3 games last year. HN and FW were winless last season and DVE played a JV schedule and according to the preview are going to again this season.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm

I agree with Cav being the team to beat in this region. However NS did lose a lot but they do return 3 juniors and a sophomore that started either offense or defense. They have 8 Jrs, 4 Sophs, & 9 frosh so that's a slight increase in numbers. I think the 2,3,&4 spots in this region are a toss up between NS, NRS, FSHP, & Thompson. DVE will play varsity games I believe. It should be a very competitive season with teams growing and coming on strong towards the end of the season.
Last edited by panthercub on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Drayton/Valley-Edinburg is playing a freelance schedule. Some games against Junior Varsity teams; some against Varsity teams.

So my predictions are:
1. Cavalier

2. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
3. Thompson
4. Benson County
5. North Star
6. Hatton-Northwood
7. New Rockford-Sheyenne

8. Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
9. Four Winds
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby panthercub » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Run where do you put H-N then?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 am

panthercub wrote:Run where do you put H-N then?

Forgot them...added them to prediction
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby panthercub » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 am

I will go with

1.Cavalier

2.NRS
3.NS
4.FSHP
5.Thompson
6.BC

7.HN
8.DVE
9.FW
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 am

I will go with...

1. Cavalier with an undefeated regular season

2. NRS due to their success last year with trickle down to the newcomers
3. FSHP seems to have the most key players back in the rest of the pack
4. Thompson squeaks into the 4 seed with a couple close victories

5. NS just too young and inexperienced in the back field for me to put them in the playoffs
6. BC should have a lot of close games, just don't know if they have enough in the skill positions

7. HN should improve in dropping down to 9man but have had 3 winless seasons in the past 4 years so it will take some time
8. FW got them beating DVE
9. DVE without a full varsity schedule can't put them anywhere else. hopefully the young kids stick with it and their program will rebound in the next few years
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 am

Well with the first week done and gone, what does everyone think now? I thought there were a couple of surprises. I didnt see BC losing by that much! I also thought the NS and NRS game would have a different outcome but the tandem of Heisler and Thomas in the backfield and Komrosky and Weston through the air seemed to click just fine! I also thought they did a fair job on D bottling up one of the most dangerous players in the state in E. Haley and Kvilvang had 4 sacks! I didnt see DVE beating FW either. Just my opinions.... any thoughts on this?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

panthercub wrote:Well with the first week done and gone, what does everyone think now? I thought there were a couple of surprises. I didnt see BC losing by that much! I also thought the NS and NRS game would have a different outcome but the tandem of Heisler and Thomas in the backfield and Komrosky and Weston through the air seemed to click just fine! I also thought they did a fair job on D bottling up one of the most dangerous players in the state in E. Haley and Kvilvang had 4 sacks! I didnt see DVE beating FW either. Just my opinions.... any thoughts on this?

I thought NS/NRS would be closer...but the one that shocked me was that Hatton-Northwood was able to hang with FSHP.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 am

I was really surprised by the NRS/NS outcome. I thought NS would struggle a bit being so young, but maybe NRS graduations will hurt them more than most thought. Thompson looked very good and I'm not too surprised FSHP and HN were close. I know its early but I think there's a pretty clear line between the 4 playoff teams and the rest of the region.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 pm

NRS/NS was definitely a surprise to me, not that NS won just that it was handily. As always tho we will see how that NS offense looks when it gets cold. They wont have problem beating DVE next week tho should be a 70-0 game. We'll have a better idea how the region looks after Saturday when everyone has a game under their belts. In my rankings I would switch NS and NRS around in the 2/3 spots.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby panthercub » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 am

I think DVE could definitely play a full varsity schedule! Whoever ever is in charge of their scheduling should be ashamed that they are robbing the kids of a chance to improve! There are plenty of schools that have taken there licks over the years but have never backed down from the stiff competition. The teams that have done this in the past are now becoming successful programs. In order to "rebuild" a program you need to be consistent with your schedule!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Anyone else surprised with the HN-NRS score? Maybe the playoff spots after Cav are more wide open than I first thought. Right now it's looking like FSHP, HN, NS, and Thompson could all be a toss up but I think NRS will get it figured out and still be in the mix too.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Anyone else surprised with the HN-NRS score? Maybe the playoff spots after Cav are more wide open than I first thought. Right now it's looking like FSHP, HN, NS, and Thompson could all be a toss up but I think NRS will get it figured out and still be in the mix too.

Well the next two week will tell where NRS is at...as they host Benson County (6th) and travel to Four Winds (13th)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Footballer4life » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 pm

panthercub wrote:I think DVE could definitely play a full varsity schedule! Whoever ever is in charge of their scheduling should be ashamed that they are robbing the kids of a chance to improve! There are plenty of schools that have taken there licks over the years but have never backed down from the stiff competition. The teams that have done this in the past are now becoming successful programs. In order to "rebuild" a program you need to be consistent with your schedule!

I agree that DVE should play a full varsity schedule. From what I have seen, they have significantly improved from last year and look like a formidable ball club offensively, and seem to be showing a strong defense. But the fact that they are labeled "JV freelance" in spite of all the games that have been played were Varsity, is wrong. I checked their schedule and it seems they are playing all Varsity teams this year, excluding Cavalier!! This team is basically Varsity, with just a JV label. Also their loss to Cando was no surprise, as Cando had just finished off the Defending State Champs with a 20+ point differential, and are expected to rank high going into the playoffs. Its going to be interesting to see how DVE did against Thompsons varsity today. I would keep an eye on this team.
Footballer4life
NDPreps Rookie

Postby panthercub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:18 am

Footballer4life wrote:
panthercub wrote:I think DVE could definitely play a full varsity schedule! Whoever ever is in charge of their scheduling should be ashamed that they are robbing the kids of a chance to improve! There are plenty of schools that have taken there licks over the years but have never backed down from the stiff competition. The teams that have done this in the past are now becoming successful programs. In order to "rebuild" a program you need to be consistent with your schedule!

I agree that DVE should play a full varsity schedule. From what I have seen, they have significantly improved from last year and look like a formidable ball club offensively, and seem to be showing a strong defense. But the fact that they are labeled "JV freelance" in spite of all the games that have been played were Varsity, is wrong. I checked their schedule and it seems they are playing all Varsity teams this year, excluding Cavalier!! This team is basically Varsity, with just a JV label. Also their loss to Cando was no surprise, as Cando had just finished off the Defending State Champs with a 20+ point differential, and are expected to rank high going into the playoffs. Its going to be interesting to see how DVE did against Thompsons varsity today. I would keep an eye on this team.

Very well put Footballer4life!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 am

question for Cavalier fans: coming into the season did you think the 2013 team would be better than the 2012 team?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby oil-rigger66 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Flip wrote:question for Cavalier fans: coming into the season did you think the 2013 team would be better than the 2012 team?

To be honest last year Cavalier had an overall better team than this year. They had both Robbins, Johnson, Bigwood, Chrest, and B. Cleem(during regular season). This year they have a good team, not as good as last years, but they should do pretty well if not go all the way. Its a little early to tell how they will do but they should be pretty good looking at who their regular season matchups are and how well they have performed so far.
oil-rigger66
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:15 am

Flip wrote:question for Cavalier fans: coming into the season did you think the 2013 team would be better than the 2012 team?

this years team is better....more Men are stepping up into rolls they've been waiting on for 2 years, knowing they would have to wait, Brock is so much more confident...this years team is actually faster and 1 year more familiar with 9-man
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Cavalier has won big this year and appears to be the class of Region 2 but its hard to tell if this is a better team than last couple of years. Region 2 is down in depth of talent this year compared to past several years and several of teams are quite young. I would say they are good team and comparing them to previous teams is hard determine because they are playing against different teams and make up of teams. The past years team was quite good but talent in the region is quite different this year than past couple of years so going off record is not viable way of determining how good each team is or was.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Duckfan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

I watched a few of Benson Countys and North Stars games this year, and saying that I believe Benson is really missing their senior class, especially Stoll. Ritterman has showed improvement at the quarterback position but still lacks many skills. North Star is also missing last years senior class, but I feel has more talent coming up in the next few years and this year is a rebuilding year. Komrosky looked good and remember is only a FRESHMAN. He is already showing poise as a quarterback. I believe in the next couple of years both of these teams will be able to give Cavalier a run for their money.
Duckfan
NDPreps Reserve

Return to 9 - Man