North Star vs Divide County

The teams in 9 Man

Re: North Star vs Divide County

Postby AC-DC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

kramer85 wrote:In sticking up for the officials, and to me it would be just like the replacement refs in the NFL, how many games have they officiated where the talent level was so high. Have the ever seen a team like North Star that passes the ball like that and has gifted receivers with great body control? It is too bad that when a game is so well played that the officiating couldn’t keep up.

Sticking up for the officials, but they were outclassed by Northstar?
Give me a break.
Trying to stay out of the debate on perceived injustices over blown calls, it went both ways, but I got to raise the BS flag on that one.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Don't have a dog in this fight other then a Region 3 fan and that I enjoy the reading. I may be mistaken, but I believe you are missing his point. He is stating that perhaps this crew doesn't have experience officiating a team that passes as much as Northstar and have not witnessed their uncanny receiving ability. I have only watched them twice this year and quite frankly some of the passes/catches they make are unbelievable. Doesn't seem to be that same type of football played in the west. On the average, just more running teams in the west so perhaps haven't had the practice officiating teams like Northstar. That's what I got out of the post.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kramer85 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Didn't mean that at all. Divide was just as athletic as North Star was. It was just too fast both ways for them to keep up.
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 pm

I stand corrected, my apologies.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kramer85 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 pm

My response was to AC-DC not yours. You had the jest of the point I was trying to make.
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AC-DC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:16 pm

kramer85 wrote:Didn't mean that at all. Divide was just as athletic as North Star was. It was just too fast both ways for them to keep up.

Sorry if I got you wrong, but the "gifted" and "great" sounded a bit one sided.
I have to give the refs more credit than that. For the most part, they let the teams play and didn't inject themselves into the game. All you can really ask for.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Well I know we dont want replay...ha ha
the reffing issue is tough
but like I've always said...."if you have a substantial lead with little to go, you dont have to worry about it"... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby RB/LB 34 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm

In relation to whether the foot was in or not, it all comes down to a snap judgement call by the officials. They don't get to look at some fancy replay system, as this is high school. Anyone can look at a picture after the fact and say it's clearly this or clearly that. DC fans would say it was out, NS fans would say he's in; and the same would go for if either side if it were up to them. Every fan will likely favor their town. That's why officials, not fans ref the games. I don't know which crew was officiating, but you have to give them some slack; they are only human and don't have the ability to reverse a call like officials can do in college or the pros.

As for the heckling of players, that's not acceptable by DC fans. Many of you that have played before know that this happens during many games, whether playoffs or not, to the away team. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but it happens. And indeed, it is a classless act by the fans.

Both teams are very talented and it seems to me that the series between the two is knotted at 1-1. Would be great to see another rematch next year for a tiebreak game. Good luck to DC in the semis and to NS in the upcoming basketball season
RB/LB 34
NDPreps Starter

Postby nordstde » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 pm

fusion wrote:
nordstde wrote:That's too bad. You are right, no room for that crap.

What? Do you remember saying this? Grande complains to the ref's like an NBA player. Get up and go back to the huddle like everyone else kid, you're not that important.

I beg to differ with you. He is important, very important, all these kids are. If you knew this kid for one minute you would realize real fast that as good as he is as a player he is 100 times better as a person.

There is no room to heckle kids at ball games and there definitely is no room to heckle kids on the world wide web.

I didn't say a word to any player during the game other than cheering them on. I'm not trying to heckle Grande on here, I know nothing about him. He's a great player, no doubt about that. I just saw alot of talking on his part, didn't seem humble. But that's just my opinion. I made some stupid posts earlier. I apologize for being a bit too candid.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby vball10 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:07 pm

nordstde wrote:
fusion wrote:
nordstde wrote:That's too bad. You are right, no room for that crap.

What? Do you remember saying this? Grande complains to the ref's like an NBA player. Get up and go back to the huddle like everyone else kid, you're not that important.

I beg to differ with you. He is important, very important, all these kids are. If you knew this kid for one minute you would realize real fast that as good as he is as a player he is 100 times better as a person.

There is no room to heckle kids at ball games and there definitely is no room to heckle kids on the world wide web.

I didn't say a word to any player during the game other than cheering them on. I'm not trying to heckle Grande on here, I know nothing about him. He's a great player, no doubt about that. I just saw alot of talking on his part, didn't seem humble. But that's just my opinion. I made some stupid posts earlier. I apologize for being a bit too candid.

If you knew you were in on a game changing touch down pass and the refs called you out I bet you would talk to them too.
vball10
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:14 pm

I wasn't at the game, I don't know if he was in or out, I didn't see if the officiating was at the level it should have been etc, etc. BUT what I do know is, athletes need to realize that they are just that, the athletes, NOT THE OFFICIALS/COACHES. If a call in any sport goes against you as a player you need to do your part, not question the decision making. It is the coaches job to coach and if they would like to calmly discuss a play with an official they would be more than happy to tell you what they saw. 99.9999% of the time the officials do not care who wins or loses they are out there to do the best job they can. HOWEVER, if it is a case where the officials do NOT know the rules (ex. it is a penalty for holding, 3 seconds in the lane, whos job it is to watch for tag ups in baseball) then you can argue with them all you want, but if it's a judgement call and they were in the right POSITION, you have to accept their decisions.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm

The Schwab wrote:I wasn't at the game, I don't know if he was in or out, I didn't see if the officiating was at the level it should have been etc, etc. BUT what I do know is, athletes need to realize that they are just that, the athletes, NOT THE OFFICIALS/COACHES. If a call in any sport goes against you as a player you need to do your part, not question the decision making. It is the coaches job to coach and if they would like to calmly discuss a play with an official they would be more than happy to tell you what they saw. 99.9999% of the time the officials do not care who wins or loses they are out there to do the best job they can. HOWEVER, if it is a case where the officials do NOT know the rules (ex. it is a penalty for holding, 3 seconds in the lane, whos job it is to watch for tag ups in baseball) then you can argue with them all you want, but if it's a judgement call and they were in the right POSITION, you have to accept their decisions.

Good post Schwab. Question though, aren't captains allowed to talk with the refs? I am guessing Grande would be a captain so he certainly should be able to talk to them. Big playoff game, possibly last one of high school career, game changing call, very emotional. Tough situation.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:28 pm

classB4ever wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I wasn't at the game, I don't know if he was in or out, I didn't see if the officiating was at the level it should have been etc, etc. BUT what I do know is, athletes need to realize that they are just that, the athletes, NOT THE OFFICIALS/COACHES. If a call in any sport goes against you as a player you need to do your part, not question the decision making. It is the coaches job to coach and if they would like to calmly discuss a play with an official they would be more than happy to tell you what they saw. 99.9999% of the time the officials do not care who wins or loses they are out there to do the best job they can. HOWEVER, if it is a case where the officials do NOT know the rules (ex. it is a penalty for holding, 3 seconds in the lane, whos job it is to watch for tag ups in baseball) then you can argue with them all you want, but if it's a judgement call and they were in the right POSITION, you have to accept their decisions.

Good post Schwab. Question though, aren't captains allowed to talk with the refs? I am guessing Grande would be a captain so he certainly should be able to talk to them. Big playoff game, possibly last one of high school career, game changing call, very emotional. Tough situation.

Absolutely captains are allowed to talk to officials, but not yell or argue, which I don't know if that was the case or not.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby mediaball » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Agreed, the kids need to accept the decision of the refs, right or wrong. What everyone seems to be forgetting is that these are kids. I WAS at the game and it was obviously difficult for adults on both sides of the field to keep their mouths shut and accept the calls on the field. If adults can't control themselves when the call goes against their team, imagine how hard it is for the kids? And truly, does anyone know what was being said by the player? Maybe he was reciting a prayer for patience and understanding. Everyone should stop judging without the facts, admit this was an excellent game showcasing two opposing styles of offense, and hope for a rematch sometime in the future. What a great rivalry these two teams have going.
mediaball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm

In all honesty, in the games I have watched that kid play (bb mostly) would be the last person who I would think would yell or argue. Fun kid to watch, always has a smile on his face before, during and after games. To me, would be very, very uncharacteristic of him. But wasn't there so don't know. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:40 pm

And that was the point I was getting at. I was not talking about the individual player, just about how athletes and fans react, and I agree adults need to set the example for kids to follow.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby 112 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:18 am

We are 3 days away from the semi's, can we put this game to bed and focus on the 4 teams that are still alive. I am sure the whole state is looking for officials so if you feel the need to bash them on the web, maybe you should walk in the shoes and give it a try next season. This is high school sports people. These officials have real jobs like you and I and most of them do this out of a love for the game, or to stay involved with athletics. The best way to force them out is to abuse them verbally or behind a keyboard every chance you get. Just my two cents. Good luck to the 4 remaining teams.
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to 9 - Man