2012 Playoffs - Quarterfinals

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2012 Playoffs - Quarterfinals

Postby panthercub » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Flip wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:Woooow. One person has WL winning and everyone else has them losing by 12plus. I don't think that this game is the blowout everyone predicts.

Cavalier might be 12 pts better than every team in the state.

Maybe 20 points ... Right Winner?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cheeze it » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 am

R2 #2 - Cavalier (8-1) @ R1 #1 - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (9-1)
R2 #3 - Lakota-Adams-Edmore (7-2) @ R2 #1 - New Rockford-Sheyenne (9-0)
R3 #3 - Surrey (7-2) @ R3 #1 - TGU (9-0)
R3 #2 - North Star (8-1) @ R4 #1 - Divide County (10-0)
cheeze it
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigdog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 am

I get a kick out of the posts on this topic. Cavalier is the chic pick of the week off of their South Border performance last week. Knowing the 2 coaching staffs of WL and Cav, those games are well in the mirror. A couple weeks ago, all anyone could talk about was how great WL and Region 1 was. It is very entertaining to read the posts, but the games will be decided between the lines on Saturday. If you need to get bulletin board material off of this to get motivated for the state quarterfinals, your team is probably in trouble. My thoughts on this game. WL is a very tough place to play and they are home. WL ha 2 gamechangers in Ilies and Vasquez. Cavalier will try and make somebody else beat them. Both teams aren't completely healthy, but at this time of the year, that is the norm. I do believe Cavalier has a slight advantage on the lines and is a little more balanced. Cavalier has Chrest and a slew of good backs and recievers. Both teams have explosive offenses that can score quickly so the defenses can't afford to take a play off. Both teams are playoff experienced with WL having a slight advantage. Curious to see if WL just puts ILies and Vasquez in the backfield and says go make some plays with your athletic ability or if they will rely on the young QB to make plays through the air. I do believe WL misses Bell a great deal at QB, who wouldn't. Last year, he was responsible for at least 8 Tds in the game. Chrest got hurt the last play of the half, or the outcome might have been different. WL won the turnover battle and made more big plays, consequently, they won the game. I think that will be the case on a cold saturday this week. Whoever wins the TO battle wins the game. Just curious, we have quite a few rematches this week. NS and Divide, Cav and WL, Lakota and NRS. Would you rather be the team that won last time, or does the revenge factor help a little more? I guess it depends on how you use it. Truthfully, I would be shocked if there are any blowouts one way or another. Don't know much about TGU and surrey except both sound BIG would good running games. Sounds like DC and NS will be a game of contrasting styles, pass vs run. Weather could play a huge factor in that one. I heard Miler from Lakota is able to play after getting ejected. That is a huge boost to the Raiders chances. Anyone know for sure? Thoughts? Good luck to all and may the best teams win without any controversial calls deciding outcomes.
bigdog
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am

bigdog wrote:I get a kick out of the posts on this topic. Cavalier is the chic pick of the week off of their South Border performance last week. Knowing the 2 coaching staffs of WL and Cav, those games are well in the mirror. A couple weeks ago, all anyone could talk about was how great WL and Region 1 was. It is very entertaining to read the posts, but the games will be decided between the lines on Saturday. If you need to get bulletin board material off of this to get motivated for the state quarterfinals, your team is probably in trouble. My thoughts on this game. WL is a very tough place to play and they are home. WL ha 2 gamechangers in Ilies and Vasquez. Cavalier will try and make somebody else beat them. Both teams aren't completely healthy, but at this time of the year, that is the norm. I do believe Cavalier has a slight advantage on the lines and is a little more balanced. Cavalier has Chrest and a slew of good backs and recievers. Both teams have explosive offenses that can score quickly so the defenses can't afford to take a play off. Both teams are playoff experienced with WL having a slight advantage. Curious to see if WL just puts ILies and Vasquez in the backfield and says go make some plays with your athletic ability or if they will rely on the young QB to make plays through the air. I do believe WL misses Bell a great deal at QB, who wouldn't. Last year, he was responsible for at least 8 Tds in the game. Chrest got hurt the last play of the half, or the outcome might have been different. WL won the turnover battle and made more big plays, consequently, they won the game. I think that will be the case on a cold saturday this week. Whoever wins the TO battle wins the game. Just curious, we have quite a few rematches this week. NS and Divide, Cav and WL, Lakota and NRS. Would you rather be the team that won last time, or does the revenge factor help a little more? I guess it depends on how you use it. Truthfully, I would be shocked if there are any blowouts one way or another. Don't know much about TGU and surrey except both sound BIG would good running games. Sounds like DC and NS will be a game of contrasting styles, pass vs run. Weather could play a huge factor in that one. I heard Miler from Lakota is able to play after getting ejected. That is a huge boost to the Raiders chances. Anyone know for sure? Thoughts? Good luck to all and may the best teams win without any controversial calls deciding outcomes.

If the statement in bold is true IMO that should not be the case, I would like to hear the reasoning behind the decision.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballfanforever » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:34 pm

I have to agree with ns4state, I know Mott was able to move the ball on DC with the pass and we weren't very good this year. If we could and St. John apparently was able to, I see no way that DC will stop Hagler/Grande. I know Divide is supposed to run it down your throat, but that opens up turnover possibilities with them having to run so many plays to score compared to NS hitting big pass plays to score quickly. I think NS takes this one again, maybe by a couple scores this time.
footballfanforever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DiggerDan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Regarding Miller from Lakota: from what I understand he should have never been ejected. He was tossed from the game after getting a personal foul for a late hit, as he had had another personal foul earlier in the game.

However, you can only be ejected after 2 unsportsmanlike conduct calls, not simply personal fouls. There was some confusion on whether the first penalty was an unsportsmanlike conduct call or not but it was clear the second one was not. After consulting with the game refs, the NDHSAA reversed the suspension.
DiggerDan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

DiggerDan wrote:Regarding Miller from Lakota: from what I understand he should have never been ejected. He was tossed from the game after getting a personal foul for a late hit, as he had had another personal foul earlier in the game.

However, you can only be ejected after 2 unsportsmanlike conduct calls, not simply personal fouls. There was some confusion on whether the first penalty was an unsportsmanlike conduct call or not but it was clear the second one was not. After consulting with the game refs, the NDHSAA reversed the suspension.

Good Insight...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:11 pm

DiggerDan wrote:Regarding Miller from Lakota: from what I understand he should have never been ejected. He was tossed from the game after getting a personal foul for a late hit, as he had had another personal foul earlier in the game.

He should have been tossed after the 1st penalty
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballfamily » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Seriously?? With all due respect Schwab, I would like to know if you were actually at the game? I was. And I can tell you from a personal viewpoint that Miller did not deserve to be ejected. The first foul, the one that you said he should have been ejected for, actually should have been called a late hit on Napoleon. Yes Miller should have stopped earlier, however, he would never have touched the other player had he not been pushed. You can clearly see this on the film, of which I am sure you can get a copy from either team if you would like to verify this for yourself. Yet, no-one on the LAE side said a word. But all of that is a moot point at this time, the NDHSAA has cleared Miller to play on Saturday, as they should. Personal fouls are clearly much different than Unsportsmanlike conduct- players are not ejected for 2 personal fouls. Miller should have been allowed to finish that game and this should never have become an issue in the first place. If you had been there and had seen how heartbroken this High School player was, I am sure that you would have a whole new outlook on the situation.
footballfamily
NDPreps Rookie

Postby panthercub » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 pm

If the refs gave the kid two unsportsmanlike penalties he is to be ejected and miss the next game! NO EXCEPTIONS PERIOD!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby footballfamily » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 pm

What don't you understand about him receiving 2 personal fouls and NOT unsportsmanlike conduct penalties??????
footballfamily
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 pm

I saw the play, stepping on a player is one thing, but stepping on him with one foot while he's on the ground and then stepping on him with the other foot has no place in high school athletics, it was a cheap and dirty play and he should have been kicked out right then and there, needless to say when a team gets a bunch of personal fouls (could have been a lot more) its pretty easy to see how "heartbroken" they were.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Also I respect napoleons coach a whole lot, and when that play happened he was 5 yards out on the field questioning why he wasn't ejected
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby beastineast » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 am

any player intentionally trying to injur another should be ejected for the season..there is no place in high school sports for this....no exceptions...
beastineast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ProudPirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree there is no room for that in high school, but 2times the same game? I wasn't there so hard for me to comment. I did however see an unsportsmanlike hit in Hankinson vs Lamoure. Late hit in the back & driven to the ground, should have been an ejection. It cost a senior his season & possibly the entire year with cracked vertebrae. Sad to see. We lost another senior earlier against W/L but that was no means late or cheap, just good hard football the way it should be. Good luck to all the teams, hard to pick against W/L being from Region 1 with the last 3 state champs coming from there, but they are down in talent compared to last few years. Illies & Vasquez are 2 of the best in the state but drops off from there. Should be a good game in football weather.
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 am

Like someone said before, there is a big difference between personal fouls and unsportsmanlike. A player could have 2 late hits, 2 face asks, etc. and it means nothing towards getting ejected.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 0DUKE3 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:38 am

If u were there you would see that he got pushed when he stepped on his hand and those refs were awful. They did not know what they were doing that whole game. And almost every HS player when they see a kid about to go down they go hit him. He finished the play end of story.
0DUKE3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:39 pm

I like Cavalier and NRS.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Cavalier 32
W-L 26
2:31 3rd Q