2012 Playoffs - Quarterfinals

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2012 Playoffs - Quarterfinals

Postby Wombat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Any more Cavalier/W-L updates?
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Via text message...

Final- Cavalier 46, Wyndmere/Lidgerwood 26
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ballerjj11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:11 pm

The refs screwed North Star today plain and simple. Everyone knows that on a pass play the linemen are NOT aloowed down field. Divide County was going for two on their second TD, they ran play to the outside, and as the runner was being tackled, he threw a prayer into the endzone which was caught by a tight end, who is eligible to catch the ball, except the fact that the entire DC line was standing right next to him, proving that they had went down field. The game should have ended 22-20 in favor of North Star, but instead completely changed the game and the season by making this incorrect call.
ballerjj11
NDPreps Rookie

Postby psycho » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:46 pm

New Rockford/Lakota/AE game was defensive struggle. LAE got stopped inside the 15 twice by NR in first half. 3 big plays by NR as they scored on long run in middle of second quarter to go up 6-0 at a half. LAE forced 3 turnovers in first half but couldn't punch it in as defene for NR was tough. End of 3rd quarter NR scores on screen pass on 3rd/long to go up 14-0 after 3. LAE puts drive together and closes gap to 14-7 with 6 minutes to go. NR takes ball and marches for clinhing score. Big pass play on 4th/16 to score touchdown puts it out of reach with a couple of minutes to go. LAE score with 3 seconds left on pass play to cut it to 22-13 and recovers onside kick but time runs out. Super football game by both sides. Could have gone either way a couple of times. Outstanding football game by both sides. Good luck to NR next week.
psycho
NDPreps Starter

Postby guesswho » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 pm

from what i seen at the game divide county pounded the ball straight down north stars throat all day long and they could not stop jacobson..and hagler had a couple bad throws that divide took advantage of..but it was a great game to watch..dont blame the refs divide won it..so dont take it away from them they deserved it..at the end of the day the better team won..
guesswho
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:52 am

ballerjj11 wrote:The refs screwed North Star today plain and simple. Everyone knows that on a pass play the linemen are NOT aloowed down field. Divide County was going for two on their second TD, they ran play to the outside, and as the runner was being tackled, he threw a prayer into the endzone which was caught by a tight end, who is eligible to catch the ball, except the fact that the entire DC line was standing right next to him, proving that they had went down field. The game should have ended 22-20 in favor of North Star, but instead completely changed the game and the season by making this incorrect call.

Not true. Watch the video posted by vikingman in the North Star vs. Divide County thread. This play is at about the 4:30 mark.

The pass was caught by the left end. The two players standing near him are the back who went in motion and the right end, both eligible receivers. The left and right guard are in the pile near where the snap took place. The center does get out of the pile and ends up to the right, but appears to be well short of the end zone. To be down field, an OL must be 3 yards past the LOS. So, on an extra point try, to be illegally down field, he must be in the end zone.

The good thing about football officials is that they can get together and discuss a call. I'm guessing that on this play, they did, and waved off the flag. This video evidence supports the officials as there should have been no call. Sorry baller, your team did not get screwed.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shawn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 am

ballerjj11 wrote:The refs screwed North Star today plain and simple. Everyone knows that on a pass play the linemen are NOT aloowed down field. Divide County was going for two on their second TD, they ran play to the outside, and as the runner was being tackled, he threw a prayer into the endzone which was caught by a tight end, who is eligible to catch the ball, except the fact that the entire DC line was standing right next to him, proving that they had went down field. The game should have ended 22-20 in favor of North Star, but instead completely changed the game and the season by making this incorrect call.

This is where things are tricky with h.s football. There are many, many different rules for h.s. compared to the pro's or even college. I do not believe there is such thing as illegal man down field in h.s. football. Sorry, not to rain on your thoughts, just one example of different rules. Just like pass interference, in h.s. you can drill a receiver anywhere as long as the ball isn't in the air. Pro's we are all aware of the 5-yard rule. Doesn't exist in h.s.
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoops247 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 am

Shawn - Yes, there is such a thing as illegal man down field in HSFB.

Rule: 7-5-12
ART. 12 . . . Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.

I have no idea what happened on the play in question. I'm simply clarifying the rule. There is sometimes confusion by the fans about the fact that there is NOT a penalty for ineligible players downfield on a punt play.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby whitefire » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

the refs called a pretty fair game. North star held on darn near every pass play cause their line couldnt hold. if the refs called all those the game would still be going. also there was a very questionable pass interference on a fourth and long situation that allowed North Star to continue their drive and score. watch the tape and you will see that it was a legal throw and all the "ineligable players" were in fact legal. it was a great game by two very athletic team.
whitefire
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:58 am

From the start I am a North Star fan that was at the game:
1. Great game. Congrats to DC on the win and good luck. Great season Bearcats.
2. On the play in question as was stated earlier, the ends were uncovered and therefore legal I believe. Did appear to be a running play as the left guard or center pull blocked and from where I was standing appeared to be in the endzone as well, but the officials got together and made a call.
3. Overall, the officials did a nice job. There were a few questionable calls and they did seem to go against the Bearcats (coming from a Bearcat fan, haha). One would have been an important second down completion for a first down ruled a catch by the side official who had a good view of the play (time 5:54 - 6:00 on the video) but overruled by the back judge. However, NS did complete a pass on 4th down to keep the drive alive.
4. A fumble on the 2-point conversion on DC's first TD in OT at the goal line looked close (isn't on the video), but the officials had the best vantage point.
5. At this time of year, with some snow, etc. on the field, very difficult to see the lines. Therefore have to give the officials who are on the field the benefit of the doubt.

Once again, great game. DC has a very good team and are very well coached and disciplined football players. Hat's off to all the players and coaches from North Star. We are very proud of you. And to the Seniors, thanks for all the great memories. It's been a pleasure watching and cheering for you.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Shawn wrote:This is where things are tricky with h.s football. There are many, many different rules for h.s. compared to the pro's or even college. I do not believe there is such thing as illegal man down field in h.s. football. Sorry, not to rain on your thoughts, just one example of different rules. Just like pass interference, in h.s. you can drill a receiver anywhere as long as the ball isn't in the air. Pro's we are all aware of the 5-yard rule. Doesn't exist in h.s.

there is no illegal man down field on punts in HS I do believe
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I went through that 2-point conversion frame-by-frame. He definitely lost control of the ball before his knee hit. Whether or not the ball crossed the goal before the fumble is hard to tell from the camera angle.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby nordstde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

The ball was 2 feet inside the endzone before Knudson lost it. Quit trying to find things to complain about. DC won, North Star lost.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby nordstde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Next time wait a day or two before you post. Maybe get some acutal facts to support your statements as well. You sound like an idiot.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:39 pm

nordstde wrote:The ball was 2 feet inside the endzone before Knudson lost it. Quit trying to find things to complain about. DC won, North Star lost.

With all due respect, nordstde, at what point were the last few posts complaining? I believe I gave credit where credit was due and at no point did vikingman say it was a bad call or did he complain. Having video available to go back and watch a game makes for interesting discussions and even then can be looked at one way or another, depending on which side of the fence you are on. This is a discussion board and we were simply discussing the game and our personal observations of the game. There is always going to be some emotional posts directly after hard fought games. I have seen some from you. I have also read your posts where you have given the other team praise after tough losses. You had a great post last year after DC lost at North Star. Once again, good luck to your team. Would love to travel back out and watch next weeks game. Going to be a dandy.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby nordstde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:59 pm

My post wasn't for you bison. Arguing isn't discussing. I was simply telling vikingman what actually happened.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:01 pm

nordstde wrote:My post wasn't for you bison. Arguing isn't discussing. I was simply telling vikingman what actually happened.

vikingman wasn't arguing the call or anything of that nature...just stating what he saw on the tape.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
nordstde wrote:My post wasn't for you bison. Arguing isn't discussing. I was simply telling vikingman what actually happened.

vikingman wasn't arguing the call...just stating what he saw on the tape.

ballerjj1 is the one arguing and whining over the call. vikingman and Bison-Vikes #1 were just making statements about what they observed on the plays.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ballerjj11 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

You can say what you want, The calls were clearly against North Star, and I an not from North Star, nor am I a fan. I am simply a football fan who went to a great game. From what I saw from DC, and what I have seen from TGU, I am convinced that Luna will run wild. TGU has size much like DC does, and when Luna gets behind his line, he will be hard to see until he is 15-20 yards down field. The kid is exciting to watch and should have a great future in sports in the years to come.
ballerjj11
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Shawn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm

hoops247 wrote:Shawn - Yes, there is such a thing as illegal man down field in HSFB.

Rule: 7-5-12
ART. 12 . . . Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.

I have no idea what happened on the play in question. I'm simply clarifying the rule. There is sometimes confusion by the fans about the fact that there is NOT a penalty for ineligible players downfield on a punt play.

Good clarification. I didn't have a rule book in front of me, so i couldn't remember for sure. I don't know the play in question either.
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nordstde » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

ballerjj11 wrote:You can say what you want, The calls were clearly against North Star, and I an not from North Star, nor am I a fan. I am simply a football fan who went to a great game. From what I saw from DC, and what I have seen from TGU, I am convinced that Luna will run wild. TGU has size much like DC does, and when Luna gets behind his line, he will be hard to see until he is 15-20 yards down field. The kid is exciting to watch and should have a great future in sports in the years to come.

Why is it that the actal players really don't get discussed on here? ballerjj11, you are basically saying DC won the game because of bad calls. I still have no idea what calls you are even talking about, maybe you could fill me in. Summing up a footall game by saying the ref's blew calls is for people that don't really understand sports. There are going to be blown calls both ways in any sport at any level, dealing with them is just part of the game. What you are doing is taking away from what the players from both teams accomplished on saturday, and that's not fair. DC won because they had a great game plan. Run the ball as much as possible to keep the football out of Hagler and Grande's hands. They executed it well and it worked. North Star lost because of how they played, not because of these bad calls you are referring to.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Postby panthercub » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:From the start I am a North Star fan that was at the game:
1. Great game. Congrats to DC on the win and good luck. Great season Bearcats.
2. On the play in question as was stated earlier, the ends were uncovered and therefore legal I believe. Did appear to be a running play as the left guard or center pull blocked and from where I was standing appeared to be in the endzone as well, but the officials got together and made a call.
3. Overall, the officials did a nice job. There were a few questionable calls and they did seem to go against the Bearcats (coming from a Bearcat fan, haha). One would have been an important second down completion for a first down ruled a catch by the side official who had a good view of the play (time 5:54 - 6:00 on the video) but overruled by the back judge. However, NS did complete a pass on 4th down to keep the drive alive.
4. A fumble on the 2-point conversion on DC's first TD in OT at the goal line looked close (isn't on the video), but the officials had the best vantage point.
5. At this time of year, with some snow, etc. on the field, very difficult to see the lines. Therefore have to give the officials who are on the field the benefit of the doubt.

Once again, great game. DC has a very good team and are very well coached and disciplined football players. Hat's off to all the players and coaches from North Star. We are very proud of you. And to the Seniors, thanks for all the great memories. It's been a pleasure watching and cheering for you.

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
nordstde wrote:The ball was 2 feet inside the endzone before Knudson lost it. Quit trying to find things to complain about. DC won, North Star lost.

With all due respect, nordstde, at what point were the last few posts complaining? I believe I gave credit where credit was due and at no point did vikingman say it was a bad call or did he complain. Having video available to go back and watch a game makes for interesting discussions and even then can be looked at one way or another, depending on which side of the fence you are on. This is a discussion board and we were simply discussing the game and our personal observations of the game. There is always going to be some emotional posts directly after hard fought games. I have seen some from you. I have also read your posts where you have given the other team praise after tough losses. You had a great post last year after DC lost at North Star. Once again, good luck to your team. Would love to travel back out and watch next weeks game. Going to be a dandy.

coulnt have said it any better
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to 9 - Man