Hillsboro vs. Napoleon

The teams in 9 Man

Postby tommykramer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:31 am

point/center wrote:I'm not sure what they did in what round but EK must've been highly ranked travelling out the Divide County in 2004. I think that was quarters? Then to Tri-County, then to an un defeated State Title.

I'm going to take Napoleon on the road. Is that an upset? If so I'll take'em

I don't think Edgely went to Tri-County in 2004, if I recall Tri- County had their big breakout last year when they lost to Richland in the semis.  That game was in Tri-County.  I was told by a pretty reliable source that there were over 1,400 fans at that game and nearly half of them were from Richland.  That was something like a 5 hour drive.

I don't think picking Napoleon would be an upset.  They have two of the best players in the state with Grunefelder and McCleary.  In fact, I would say three of the top five Linebackers in the state will be on the field with those two and Grothman from Hillsboro.  The big key to this game will be who's defense comes out and makes some stops.  Napoleon will have to be very disciplined to stop the option., and Hillsboro is going to have to find a way to not let Napoleon run all over them.  By the way, both of these teams run a 3-3.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:35 am

fb_fan wrote:I totally disagree with having the media involved in any decisions made when it comes to the playoffs. There will be teams that get very little media coverage in our state due to location. NCB comes to mind. They very easily could have been rated all year, but they weren't even recieving votes and they were undefeated. So the teams that get the media exposure would host playoff games, is that FAIR? I am guessing that the state does the best they can to be as fair as possible.

i believe in the final poll of the year ncb was rated no. 4 in the state...to me that sounds like they didn't get completely screwed
rep

Postby Tigger » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am

First off I want everyone to know I'll be waving my Burro hanky on Saturday.  They did squib kick a lot against EK last week, but EK was doing the same thing.  When the Burros did try to kick it deep it was returned for about 60 yards.  The Burros don't run the option as much as you might think.  The hand the ball off a lot and have a bunch of qb runs.  The option isn't a huge part of that offense.  I've seen games where the option worked great for them and they won huge and games where it didn't work so well and they only won big.  I think the key for Napoleon will be stopping sophomore running back Andrew Grothman.  He's a stud.  If you don't get him at the line, he will run over, around and through the defense.  Against EK he ran the ball 9 times.  Five times EK was able to get to him quickly and limit the run to 1 yard or less.  The other four times the let him get a head of steam and he scored four touchdowns.  QB Ben Gordon is a good runner and so is RB Andrew Mikkleson.  There is a reason these guys rush for 300-400 yards every week.  Their passing game is very simple; their main play is over the middle to Jamie Horne for 5 to 15 yards.  A half dozen throws from the Burros is a lot as I've seen them go entire games without airing it out.  I'm going with the Burros and look forward to the semifinals against CV.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tommykramer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:08 am

Hillsboro has been running the squib/onside the last 4 weeks.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby footballdude » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:10 pm

tommykramer wrote: By the way, both of these teams run a 3-3.

In all of my years of seeing football, i have never seen napoleon run a 3-3. they run 3-4 with their linebackers flowing hard especially in the middle
footballdude

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:16 pm

footballdude wrote:
tommykramer wrote: By the way, both of these teams run a 3-3.

In all of my years of seeing football, i have never seen napoleon run a 3-3. they run 3-4 with their linebackers flowing hard especially in the middle

They ran a 3-3 against Milnor/North Sargent when Milnor went to the shotgun ace set.  But their base defense is a 3-4
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classb_fan00 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:48 am

I'm going to go with Napoleon. Although i haven't seen Napoleon play.It sounds like their linebackers get to the ball well.
Last edited by classb_fan00 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:26 pm

so napoleon wins 28-13, but i wasn't there...how'd the game go down?
rep

Postby point/center » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:23 pm

very good game. Napoleons line on both sides of the ball is the difference. mix in a couple big plays and Imperials looked tough. Napoleon stayed with 3 down lineman and their LBs came up and made the tackles.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:27 pm

I should add that Hillsboro has nothing to be ashamed of. They won the first half and played a very good game.

who's next for Napoleon?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:30 pm

lakota, i believe, who has knocked off two no. 1 seeds in successive weeks and will be looking to make it 3-for-3
rep

Postby point/center » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:58 pm

knocking off two #1s...i'd guess Napoleon has a home game then..in November...running the ball....

i'll take the Imperials

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:00 pm

i'll take napoleon until they lose
rep

Postby point/center » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:02 pm

rep wrote:i'll take napoleon until they lose

I'd say your money just might be safe...until next year. They'll have to reload

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:04 pm

point/center wrote:

bah...next year it is the krissy cleary show in which no one can tackle the big kid and he punishes defenses for 240 yards a game on 45 carries per
rep

Postby point/center » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:07 pm

rep wrote:
point/center wrote:

bah...next year it is the krissy cleary show in which no one can tackle the big kid and he punishes defenses for 240 yards a game on 45 carries per

unless he can plate left tackle, he might not get that 200 mark. #60 should make some All-State votes just on the way he mauled Hillsboro in the 2nd half. It was one of those, you know where we are running, just try to stop it....kind of halves

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:08 pm

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:
point/center wrote:

unless he can plate left tackle, he might not get that 200 mark. #60 should make some All-State votes just on the way he mauled Hillsboro in the 2nd half. It was one of those, you know where we are running, just try to stop it....kind of halves

if i remember right from last week's game, one of their offensive lineman is a sophomore (?)...thought i caught that during the starting lineups, but i was walking over to the away sideline and wasn't really paying attention to who it was or what position
rep

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:51 pm

pretty good picture of napoleon's kriss mccleary hitting hillsboro's ben gordon on an option play along with a box and two-paragraph story

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/144423
Last edited by rep on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby footballdude » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:03 am

rep wrote:
if i remember right from last week's game, one of their offensive lineman is a sophomore (?)...thought i caught that during the starting lineups, but i was walking over to the away sideline and wasn't really paying attention to who it was or what position

yeah #51 is a sophomore. Cole Laber
footballdude

Postby hitem » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:31 pm

There main tailback for most of the year is a sophmore and their slotback is also a sophmore. They also play D back and outside LB, I think.
hitem

Postby footballdude » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:39 pm

hitem wrote:There main tailback for most of the year is a sophmore and their slotback is also a sophmore. They also play D back and outside LB, I think.

Yeah when Dewald went out with a knee injury sophomore Gross played tail and is one of the d-backs. Weigel (slotback) is also sophomore but doesnt play defense

footballdude

Postby B » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 am

It is perfectly legal for the QB to take a step prior to the step, thats how it should be taught when running veer option.  It's not any different than a wing back going in motion prior to the snap.  You just can't be moving towards the line of scrimmage.

Horse puckey with the veer not being a cold weather offense.  It's easy to hand off and a 4 yard pitch is easy to catch.  Thats like saying you wouldn't run a toss sweep in cold weather.
B

Postby rep » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 am

B wrote:It is perfectly legal for the QB to take a step prior to the step, thats how it should be taught when running veer option.  It's not any different than a wing back going in motion prior to the snap.  You just can't be moving towards the line of scrimmage.

Horse puckey with the veer not being a cold weather offense.  It's easy to hand off and a 4 yard pitch is easy to catch.  Thats like saying you wouldn't run a toss sweep in cold weather.

i wouldn't mind running a pitch...the qb is tossing the ball with two hands
rep

Previous

Return to 9 - Man