Playoff formats

The teams in 9 Man

Playoff formats

Postby panthercub » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Does anybody know the playoff format for this year?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Palyoff formats

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:23 pm

panthercub wrote:Does anybody know the playoff format for this year?

Region 1 #1
Region 2 #4

Region 2 #2
Region 1 #3

Region 2 #1
Region 1 #4

Region 1#2
Region 2 #3

Region 3 #1
Region 4 #4

Region 4 #2
Region 3 #3

Region 4 #1
Region 3 #4

Region 3 #2
Region 4 #3
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby panthercub » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought it was supposed to alternate?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:35 pm

panthercub wrote:I thought it was supposed to alternate?

Found it here: http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/BULLETINSeptember12.pdf
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Playoff formats

Postby panthercub » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks for the link. Don't you think it should alternate region matchups each year?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 am

panthercub wrote:Thanks for the link. Don't you think it should alternate region matchups each year?

Noo, good God that'd be dumb. Imagine one year Its region 1 vs region 4 and you got Divide County traveling to Richland.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 am

Even if it was 2 vs 4 this year Hillsboro to DC would be a likely matchup.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby imperials » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 am

It should Alternate, I would say after 1st round, the for quite a few years the east has had more quality teams and they beat each other out, I think if they played east vs west in 2nd round, the east would win most of the games
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sleepy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am

I am thinking their is a good chance Region 1 playoff positions could come down to tiebreakers. I am not sure about all the tiebreakers so I am going to throw a scenario out there. I think the first tiebreaker is head-to-head competition. But let's say that there is a 3 way tie in the region record, and each team is 1-1 against the other two (team A beat B, B beat C, C beat A). The next tiebreaker is total point differential within the games of the 3 teams that are tied? Lets say there is a tie between two of the teams in point differential (A is +2, B is +2, C is -4) .

So team A and B are still tied on the 2nd tiebreaker. What is the next tiebreaker? I read something about it is the total point differential within the Region (with a max of 17 points/game). Is that next or could it possibly be that team A comes out ahead because they beat team B in their head to head game?
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am

As far as travel is concerned I don't know if it would work to play east vs west before the dome, which poor region 1 team would want to make the long long long trip up to crosby in week 2?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:18 pm

I agree with no one from Region 1 wanting to travel to DC for the 2nd round, but man would that put even
more emphasis on being the #1 cede from your region. I don't necessarily like how the format is set up now but I think it is probably the lesser of the evils.(With travel being the huge evil in a lot of other scenarios)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wombat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am

I like the idea of changing the regional match-ups. Class AA and AAA cross bracket- I remember traveling from Cavalier to Dickinson Trinity and DLB for 1st round playoff games when we were in AA. In other years we hosted Minot Ryan, Beulah, DLB, and Dickinson Trinity.

PROS:
It's exciting to travel across the state (Educational as well)
You get to play teams that you don't normally ever get a chance to play
There's even more incentive to get a #1 seed
You get a REAL home-field advantage

CONS:
It's expensive to travel that far
Possibility of kids missing school
It's difficult for parents/fans to travel that far
It's very difficult to find overnight lodgin in the Western part of the state right now.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DCFan2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Wombat wrote:I like the idea of changing the regional match-ups. Class AA and AAA cross bracket- I remember traveling from Cavalier to Dickinson Trinity and DLB for 1st round playoff games when we were in AA. In other years we hosted Minot Ryan, Beulah, DLB, and Dickinson Trinity.

PROS:

CONS:
It's very difficult to find overnight lodgin in the Western part of the state right now.

I think they should switch regions every year. Divide County has put on around 4000 miles in 2 years to away games and that is just for regular season games. I think playoff teams could do it also. DC had to deal with it. Everyone else can also. I agree with all the pros and we have dealt with all the cons. Playoff games are in afternoon so can get home no problem. Don't need to stay overnight.
DCFan2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

And there are baseball teams in our state that travel far as well, divide county is not the only school that has to travel
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

The Schwab wrote:And there are baseball teams in our state that travel far as well, divide county is not the only school that has to travel

Was talking about 9-man football not baseball.
DCFan2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:51 pm

DCFan2 wrote:
Wombat wrote:I like the idea of changing the regional match-ups. Class AA and AAA cross bracket- I remember traveling from Cavalier to Dickinson Trinity and DLB for 1st round playoff games when we were in AA. In other years we hosted Minot Ryan, Beulah, DLB, and Dickinson Trinity.

PROS:

CONS:

I think they should switch regions every year. Divide County has put on around 4000 miles in 2 years to away games and that is just for regular season games. I think playoff teams could do it also. DC had to deal with it. Everyone else can also. I agree with all the pros and we have dealt with all the cons. Playoff games are in afternoon so can get home no problem. Don't need to stay overnight.

It's not the getting home that's the problem. It's the getting there to play the game. What you are suggesting is that teams get up as early as 5 in the morning to ride 6+ hours on a bus to come stumbling out around noon to play a game at 2:00. I'm sure that team will be ready to play.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Hinsa wrote:
DCFan2 wrote:

PROS:

CONS:

It's not the getting home that's the problem. It's the getting there to play the game. What you are suggesting is that teams get up as early as 5 in the morning to ride 6+ hours on a bus to come stumbling out around noon to play a game at 2:00. I'm sure that team will be ready to play.

That's why it's called Home field advantage!
DCFan2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby imperials » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 pm

A lot teams if they have to travel a long ways will leave on Friday and stay somewhere close
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am

DCFan2 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:And there are baseball teams in our state that travel far as well, divide county is not the only school that has to travel

Well for the past two years we have had to hear about how divide county travels so far, they could have opted up and played 11 man, that would have cut down their travel a lot.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm

The Schwab wrote:
DCFan2 wrote:

Well for the past two years we have had to hear about how divide county travels so far, they could have opted up and played 11 man, that would have cut down their travel a lot.

Probably would have opted up if we had been given that opportunity. But they changed regions on us about a week before they finalized the the 2 year program. We are now back in the north so you won't have to endure the pain of listening to travel talk anymore.
DCFan2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 pm

DCFan2 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
DCFan2 wrote:

Probably would have opted up if we had been given that opportunity. But they changed regions on us about a week before they finalized the the 2 year program. We are now back in the north so you won't have to endure the pain of listening to travel talk anymore.

Thank the Lord!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:42 pm

With my Predictions (only for discussionary purposes) for the remaining games in the season...this would be the potential playoff format:

R2 #4: Hillsboro-Central Valley (4-3; 5-3) @ R1 #1: Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter (8-1)
R1 #3: Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (7-2) @ R2 #2: Cavalier (6-1; 7-1)
R1 #4: South Border (7-2) @ R2 #1: New Rockford-Sheyenne (7-0; 8-0)
R2 #3: Lakota-Adams-Edmore (5-2; 6-2) @ R1 #2: LaMoure-LM (7-2)

** Richland @ LaMoure-LM (10/12) has HUGE playoff implications if both win tonight

R4 #4: Shiloh Christian (7-2) @ R3 #1: TGU (8-0)
R3 #3: Surrey (6-2) @ R4 #2: Central McLean (7-2)
R3 #4: St. John (5-3) @ R4 #1: Divide County (9-0)
R4 #3: Beach (7-2) @ R3 #2: North Star (7-1)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm

imperials wrote:A lot teams if they have to travel a long ways will leave on Friday and stay somewhere close

Yup, I understand that. I was responding to DC's contention that staying overnight is not necessary - showing the scenario if you DON'T stay overnight.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man