2012 Region 3

The teams in 9 Man

2012 Region 3

Postby defense1st » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Region may be a little weaker than last year, but should still be pretty good.
Look out in a few years, this ranking could be almost flipped around.

1) North Star - Hagler and Grande were nearly unstoppable last year and I think nothing will change. OL and DL will be question marks for them after losing Larson and Haugen off both sides along with the big body of Blake on the defensive side.

2) TGU - Maybe a bit of an upset pick, but I see them doing well. Luna and Bacon will be big this year and they have tons of young talent. Probably still a year or two away.

3) Surrey - A big team that brings back probably the best fullback in the region (Wallstrum). Have to replace Enget at QB but I think they have the size and quickness to beat 6-7 of the teams.

4) MLS - Lost a lot but had a lot of players on the sidelines. Undlin at RB will be good again.

5) St. John - Lost a lot of players for various reasons last season giving others a chance to play. I think a lack of discipline is what keeps this team out of the playoffs, but Davis will have them back in no time.

6) Tri-County - Bringing back Volson and All-State snub McClintock will make this team respectable, but will still have a tough year with lack of numbers. Will lose a few tough, close games.

7) Benson County - Lose a ton. Stoll will have fewer numbers than he did last year if he stays at a WR position. Probably move to a RB fulltime after losing a lot there too. New coach will also be a setback.

8 ) Kenmare - Still very young. Will just be too small to be very competitive. Give them a few years.

9) Four Winds - Showed glimmers of hope last year but losing Cook at QB will hurt. Richotte will have a monster year but he can't do everything. (Even though they might ask him to)

10) Dunseith - Not fielding a varsity squad. Might be a while before they do.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2012 Region 3

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 am

This is great stuff! It's nice to learn about a region that I know so little about. Thanks.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

Looks like a pretty good assessment. I still see BC contending for a playoff spot. Lost a lot, but will still have a good line and defense. Might struggle at QB, RB, and WR depending on who gets put where and if some younger kids step up. I think SJ and MLS contend as well. Would love to see TC in the mix, but with really low numbers it will be tough. Have a hard time putting Surrey up there. Always talk of them having good numbers and next year will be the year, but never come through. Maybe this year they will.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby defense1st » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Benson County was a tough one for me as I could see them going anywhere from 3-7. I see them having trouble early getting their new younger players accustomed to playing, especially if the new coach brings in a totally different system. Those early stumbles could set them back farther than they are capable of overcoming.
Surrey was another tough pick and ended up being more of a gut feeling. I see their size overwhelming the smaller lines of other teams, giving them a huge advantage.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

lionsfan, do you think there is any possibility that we could see Stoll getting time at QB if they don't have a new starter that really breaks through before the first game?
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:49 am

defense1st wrote:lionsfan, do you think there is any possibility that we could see Stoll getting time at QB if they don't have a new starter that really breaks through before the first game?

Yeah, I could easily see Stoll being the starting QB this year. I think they will turn to a more run orientated offense anyway. Don't know who else they would have coming up that would be ready to start at QB. Also don't know what they have for RB besides Pranke. Those are the two big question marks. Should be good on the lines and LB positions tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 am

defense1st wrote:Benson County was a tough one for me as I could see them going anywhere from 3-7. I see them having trouble early getting their new younger players accustomed to playing, especially if the new coach brings in a totally different system. Those early stumbles could set them back farther than they are capable of overcoming.
Surrey was another tough pick and ended up being more of a gut feeling. I see their size overwhelming the smaller lines of other teams, giving them a huge advantage.

Their JH/asst coach has moved up to head coach. He's familiar with what they did last year, so I don't expect any major changes. But like you said, it will all come down to how well the younger players fill in the positions early on.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 am

Any assessments after the games last night?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 am

Went to the St. John/Northstar game last night.

Northstar looked pretty good. Thought they came out sharp. Had a nice mix of run and pass. Good team speed at all positions. Thought their lines played well and had good defensive push up the middle with good speed on the edge.

St. John seemed to struggle at the line a bit compared to past years. Had a number of big plays called back due to penalties. Just seemed like they weren't quite in sync yet but also had a number of kids not dressed on the sideline. Think they need a couple more games and will be a different team. Surprised at their low numbers.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

What were the numbers for both teams? Shocked that BC has 28 kids out this year. 18 and fresh and soph so numbers look good for the future, too. Really don't see a lot of 9man teams over 20 these days. Still haven't heard a score or a report of how the BC vs FW game went last night, tho.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Not positive about this, but think they were both around 18 with Northstar having 9 seniors and St. John having 6.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

BC beat FW 46-18 last night. Stoll played running back along with Pranke. Aiden Ritterman (soph) played QB and threw for 2 scores.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmyhornets » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 pm

classB4ever wrote:Went to the St. John/Northstar game last night.

Northstar looked pretty good. Thought they came out sharp. Had a nice mix of run and pass. Good team speed at all positions. Thought their lines played well and had good defensive push up the middle with good speed on the edge.

St. John seemed to struggle at the line a bit compared to past years. Had a number of big plays called back due to penalties. Just seemed like they weren't quite in sync yet but also had a number of kids not dressed on the sideline. Think they need a couple more games and will be a different team. Surprised at their low numbers.

An opposing team had big plays called back in Cando.......shocking :shock:
luvmyhornets
NDPreps Starter

Postby panthercub » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:46 pm

luvmyhornets wrote:

If you were there you wouldve have seen they were obvious calls to make! NS also had a lot of penalties.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ramsfan8 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 am

luvmyhornets wrote:

ridiculous comment, St. John is better then what they showed, if you seen the game you wouldn't have made such a comment . . . they were hutting the ball before lined up on a number of plays and were holding all game . . . I see them improving this and being a better team as they move deep into the season
Ramsfan8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Ramsfan8 wrote:
luvmyhornets wrote:

ridiculous comment, St. John is better then what they showed, if you seen the game you wouldn't have made such a comment . . . they were hutting the ball before lined up on a number of plays and were holding all game . . . I see them improving this and being a better team as they move deep into the season

Haven't heard that term used since I was around the 5th grade
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 pm

40-0 NS over MLS
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Duckfan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Heard Benson County struggled against Kenmare in the first half, any proof of this?
Duckfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 am

Duckfan wrote:Heard Benson County struggled against Kenmare in the first half, any proof of this?

Was 12-6 at the half and 20-14 into the 4th. Score was close, but BC dominated the game. Had a couple mistakes and gave up a big play and the end of the 1st half. Kenmare had one nice drive that resulted in their other TD. BC went up and down the field all night, just couldn't punch it in. BC still has room for improvement, but I see them contending for the playoffs towards the end of the year. I've got St John, Surrey, and BC playing for the 3-4 seeds. SJ has an edge up with their win over BC. Thought MLS would be up there, too, but they looked like they really struggled against SJ the other night.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Duckfan wrote:Heard Benson County struggled against Kenmare in the first half, any proof of this?

Was 12-6 at the half and 20-14 into the 4th. Score was close, but BC dominated the game. Had a couple mistakes and gave up a big play and the end of the 1st half. Kenmare had one nice drive that resulted in their other TD. BC went up and down the field all night, just couldn't punch it in. BC still has room for improvement, but I see them contending for the playoffs towards the end of the year. I've got St John, Surrey, and BC playing for the 3-4 seeds. SJ has an edge up with their win over BC. Thought MLS would be up there, too, but they looked like they really struggled against SJ the other night.

You sure are going out on a limb there! :shock:
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 pm

What do you mean?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 pm

By picking those four to make the playoffs.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 pm

I didn't pick 4. I picked 3 playing for the last 2 spots. After the first couple weeks, this is how I see the region shaking out.

1. Northstar
2. TGU
3. St John
4. Surrey
5. Benson Co.
6. MLS
7. Kenmare
8. Tri Co.
9. FW
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Ok my bad. I agree with you on that.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Spin2Win » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Just curious to see how people see the last few playoff spots shaking out with only a few weeks left. It looks like the fourth spot is gonna be up for grabs for a few teams.
IMO

1. North Star
2. TGU
3. Surrey
4. Drake-Anamoose
5. St. Johns
6. Benson County
7. MLS
8. Kenmare
9. Four Winds
Spin2Win
NDPreps Reserve