Region 1 - 2012

The teams in 9 Man

Region 1 - 2012

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Thoughts and predictions on Region 1?
Last edited by Flip on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2012 Region 1

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm

My initial feelings is they have 3 of the top 5 teams in the state in Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, Napoleon-GS, and South Border. After those 3, I honestly don't know enough about the region to make any predictions. I'm interested in what EHS has to say. How much did the rest of the region lose? Last year 1-8 in region 1 was tough. If you remember the only team last season to beat the state champions didn't make the playoffs and won 2-3 games?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Region one is always tough. The top for teams will be Napoleon, Wyndmere Lidgerwood, South Border, and Lamoure. I would say that NGS, WL, and Southborder are way above of the rest of the region. South Border is my favorite to win the region if they stay healthy but once playoffs come I want the returning state champs or the 2010 state champs. Wyndmere and Napoleon just flat out have the playoff experience to win games in the post season.

1. South Border
2. WL
3. NGS
4. Lamoure
I think one through three are interchangable.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby waterboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 am

Top to bottom Region 1 will be one of the toughest regions in the state again. However, I would put my money on Cavalier or North Border to win it all. Napoleon lost a lot of talent but they would still be my favorite to win the Region. WL's defense could be the best in the state with Illies & Vasquez. Their passing and running games will take a huge hit with the loss of Bell. Not sure who they will get to fill in. SB has a lot of talent returning and will challenge Nap and WL for the Region. Hankinson would be my #4.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 am

Some thoughts on this upcoming season: (I am rarely right on predictions so take these with a grain of salt)

1. South Border - They don't lose hardly anything from last year. VERY deep at OL/DL, best QB in Region (Jacobson), one of the best RBS in the region (Bosch). Need to be able to stop the pass. I see them airing it out more than in years past as M. Jacobson is a stud at QB and his brother Adam will be hard to cover with his size, strength and athleticism. Their counter game is hard to stop as well. If they can develop a pass defense, I see their talent and depth being the deciding factor.
2. Wyndmere Lidgerwood - Jeff Illies and Luis Vasquez are quite simply monsters on both sides of the ball and they have an excellent Coach in Scott Strenge. Question mark at QB but I am sure they will figure that out.
3. Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter - They will probably, once again, prove me wrong and win the Region for the seemingly thousandth time in a row. However, losing Jonah Swartzenberger, Wade Rath Wald and Jared Reis will really hurt. They will still have Steven Weigel and Andrew Beine, who are very good. Hard to ever count these guys out. They simply expect to win.
4. Richland-Lamoure-Hankinson battling for the 4th playoff spot. (Sargent Central may also be in the mix for that 4th spot.)
- Do not sleep on Richland - Kayne Griffith is a certifiable stud, taylor made for that offense. Also a danger on special teams. Fastest kid in the region is my guess. They were playing their best ball at the end of last year and I can see that carrying over to this season. Losing Austin Heyen will hurt a bit on both sides of the ball but there is talent there.
- Lamoure will be dealing with a coaching change and their numbers are going to be down a bit but they will have 3 very good RBs in Brady Thielges (best RB in the region IMO), Riley Jordahl and Anthony Olson. Where they may not have quantity, they have quality, they will still be able to put 9 very good athletes on the field but will have some youth on the field. Look for freshman Drew Thielges at QB. He will be a good one in time. Another freshman name to remember is Quinn Alo, a potential college talent if I ever saw one. He will start right away at OL/DL. Logan Shockman is another solid player for Lamoure who apparently is getting some college attention.
- Hankinson - They lose a good player in Levi Geffre but still have Cody Birnbaum, Cameren Lenzen and Sam Mauch. Coach Monilaws simply knows how to win and I have a hard time betting against him.
- Sargent Central - Losing Justin Arp has to hurt but Coach Larson has built a solid program there and they are going to be pretty good. 2 very good runners in Craig Zirnhelt and Greg Brecker, the OL and DL will need to step up.

EK loses a lot of talent to graduation but they will have a solid QB in Logan Hanson and a good player in Dylan Schnable. They will be solid.
SZ also loses some talent but will return a solid team as well.
Ellendale is coming off a very tough season in a variety of ways. They are still going to be young but there could be some talent there. Can they gel as a team and stay healthy? Time will tell.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am

In looking at the region as a whole, the position that took the biggest hit to graduation seems to be at QB. I believe that the only teams that return their starting QB are South Border, Sargent Cental, Strasburg Zeeland and Ellendale. We will see new signal callers in Lamoure, WL, EK, Richland, Hankinson and Napoleon.

RB seems to return the most talent with Brady Thielges, Riley Jordahl, Cameron Lenzen, Kayne Griffith, Blake Bosch, Greg Breker, Craig Zirnhelt and Dustin Hildebrand all presumably returning as starting RBs.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Decided to do a more in depth one:

1. South Border - They are always a tough team and have been on the brink for a few years. Bosch is one of the best running backs in the state, Jacobson is the only returning QB in the region who isn't just an average QB. I here good things about their line and I hear they could have some size. Based on what they return they have to be the favorites.

2. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood - They are only 2 years removed from a state championship and still have multiple starters from that team. They lost only one starter on defense so they should be one of the better defenses in the state. They need to fill holes on the offensive line and at the QB position but with one of the best wideouts in Vasquez and the best TE in Illies those holes could get covered up and until they are figured out. Great coached team and very experienced.

3. NGS - Now that I look at it it seems almost foolish to put them at 3. Every year they find a way to win the region. They return some good pieces, experienced team and defending state champs don't be surprised if they make some noise.

4. Richland - Originally I thought LaMoure but I can't pick against Kayne the stud running back out of Richland. They run that scrum offense that isn't seen in this region so they catch teams off guard and with him running the ball they should be tuff.

5. LaMoure - One of the hard hitting, tough nosed teams in the region. They return a stud running back and are a well coached squad. The tradition is rich in Lamoure and they will give it their all for that last play off spot.

6. Hankinson - With Birnbaum and Lenzen they will be tough. Mauch is a good piece but other than that they are pretty thin for helping parts. If they don't find some offense early it could be a long season and if they do they could be working for a playoff spot.

7. Sargent Central - They return a few good pieces with Brecker being the stand out. They can't seem to get things figured out though. Losing Arp will be rough and they are down in talent this year. They could be one of those scary teams who plays hard and knocks off a few top teams or ruins someones playoff hopes.

8. EK - They return a few good pieces and again are a tradition rich and prideful bunch. Not the team a playoff hopeful wants to see in the last few weeks of season.

9. Ellendale - At this point they just need to improve from last season. They need to move on and work to progress up the ladder. I would guess they will need at least a couple years to bounce back.

10. SZ - They did have a few bright spots last year where they were almost competitive at times but that seemed to get stomped out towards the end of the year. They need to get some type of defense rolling and never look back. I would guess them and ellendale are a 1 or 2 win team.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby azcard » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:31 pm

1 South Border Bring back a ton of talent great running back and good line will be tough to stop

2 Wydmere Lidgerwood Always seem to be solid

3 Napolean always find a way to win

4 Hankinson Just watching them last year impressed me Have alot of heart

5 Lamoure Stud in Theilges Line will not be a good without Shockman and new coachs could even put them lower then 5

6 EK Lost alot of talent but still have good peices. Good back in Madcke , deep threat in Berg and not to bad qb in Hanson him missing a year didn't help him. Line is the biggest problem but will still be fair have a few linemen left over from last year

7 Sargent Central Ever year just seem to struggle and can never really find their stride

8 Richland Defense will be their problem scored on alot last year

9 Ellendale Still rebuilding

10 SZ Young

azcard
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

Now that practices have started. Any additional thoughts on the upcoming season? How do numbers look for teams across Region 1?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby waterboy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

EHS1998 wrote:Now that practices have started. Any additional thoughts on the upcoming season? How do numbers look for teams across Region 1?

It looks like some big questions will be answered opening night. South Border at W/L. Should be a good one. SB has a lot of numbers returning with key skill positions and sizeable linemen. WL has several returning starters - including two of the best in the state in Illies and Vasquez. Will SB's offense be able to move the ball against WLs defense? Who will step in at QB for WL and can they get the ball to Illies and Vasquez? I have to go with WL, their defense will be the difference.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

waterboy wrote:
It looks like some big questions will be answered opening night. South Border at W/L. Should be a good one. SB has a lot of numbers returning with key skill positions and sizeable linemen. WL has several returning starters - including two of the best in the state in Illies and Vasquez. Will SB's offense be able to move the ball against WLs defense? Who will step in at QB for WL and can they get the ball to Illies and Vasquez? I have to go with WL, their defense will be the difference.

What night is this game?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Flip wrote:
waterboy wrote:

What night is this game?

August 21st
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Run were you planning on doing a weekly schedule?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Flip wrote:Run were you planning on doing a weekly schedule?

I am still planning on doing that...just need to find a few team's schedules for the coming week.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby azcard » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm

EK numbers way lower then thought will have a very hard year ahead of them If they have any injuries. 15 total players Tallen Berg did not go out .Out of the 15 they have 5 freshmen and 5 seniors .
azcard
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Noah's » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:12 pm

LaMoure has 20 out for this year.
Napoleon hsa 21
South Border has 26
Strasburg 18

All the numbers seem to be down. LaMoure losing Shockman is going to hurt big time. Is Wiegle from napoleon healthy this year? He hurt his back last year and didn't know if he was playing this year. How do the numbers look in the East?
Noah's
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Ellendale has 15.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby throwingducks » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Why is shockman not playing for lamoure?

Numbers are way down. winters must not have been cold enough back 15-18 years ago. :lol:
throwingducks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportsGuy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Shockman retore his acl summer
SportsGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby popefro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 pm

I remember the winters of '94-'97 as I worked outside doing construction back then, and they were very cold winters! I know you are joking, but all in all families just arent as big as they used to be.
popefro
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 am

Very cool article about Napoleon's Andrew Beine in the Bismarck Tribune.

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/high- ... f887a.html

He's a beast.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

Anyone know if the the SB/WL game will be on the radio?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Noah's » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Aren't you gonns be there?
Noah's
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

meh...probably, if it were on the radio I'd probably stay home.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoPack#2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm

who does Wyndmere/Lidgerwood have at QB this season?
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to 9 - Man