Region 1 - 2012

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 2012 Region 1

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Seth Harles a 10th grader. I also just heard that WL got a big win tonight 30-14 over South Border
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Seth Harles a 10th grader. I also just heard that WL got a big win tonight 30-14 over South Border

was 14-6 late in the 3rd/early in the 4th before WL put up two more scores to pull away
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

I think this is the biggest game of the week as these 2 teams were projected to be 2 of the better ones in the state. It could also help decide the Region early
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Noah's » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 am

Did the game answer any questions? Are the two teams going to make more noise as the year goes? Is Strasburg that improved or is LaMoure that down? Wow is this going to be fun!!
Noah's
NDPreps Reserve

Postby waterboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Noah's wrote:Did the game answer any questions? Are the two teams going to make more noise as the year goes? Is Strasburg that improved or is LaMoure that down? Wow is this going to be fun!!

SB made plenty of threats but just couldn't capitalize. They were deep in WL territory several times but WLs defense stepped up. Both teams had their share of sloppy play but it is very early in the season. WL's sophmore QB was very poised and showed a strong arm and good accuracy. Vasquez had 3 ints but also gave away 2 fumbles. Illies went out for a while with what looked like an ankle injury. Didn't look like he was 100% when he went back in but was still effective with a couple of TDs and a nice run on a botched punt. WL's RB Frank had some nice power running. SB QB looked off with missed receivers and interceptions. RB Bosch ran well but couldn't break any long ones. I would say both these teams will be there at the end of the season and could eventually meet again in the playoffs.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:53 am

If WL's QB looked as good as i have heard and as good as the score shows, they have to be the favorites to win that region. That was their one question mark coming into the season. I would say if they can get decent play out of him all season they have a shot of making a real deep play off run if they can avoid any injuries.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Re: Region 1 - 2012

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 pm

waterboy wrote:Hankinson/Richland should be the game of the week and should have playoffs implications. I agree, Richland wins in a close one. There is a lot of season left and I expect some upsets to shake the standing up. Right now, WL - 1, SB - 2, Nap - 3, and Richland, Hankinson, and LaMoure fighting for the 4th playoff spot.

Agree. After Napoleon beat SC by a TD and SB beat SC by 6 TDs I'm not sure how you could put Napoleon above SB.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I actually expect the Napoleon-GS & S/Z game to be alot closer than others may think. Napoleon has yet to be super impressive and S/Z has lost 22-40 to Richland (eh...Richland is tough this year) and lost 6-8 to LaMoure where LaMoure's only TD was an interception returned for 100+ yards...it could have easily been S/Z coming out on top in that game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Flip wrote:
waterboy wrote:Hankinson/Richland should be the game of the week and should have playoffs implications. I agree, Richland wins in a close one. There is a lot of season left and I expect some upsets to shake the standing up. Right now, WL - 1, SB - 2, Nap - 3, and Richland, Hankinson, and LaMoure fighting for the 4th playoff spot.

Agree. After Napoleon beat SC by a TD and SB beat SC by 6 TDs I'm not sure how you could put Napoleon above SB.

I'm not sure he did, doesn't 2 come before 3?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:

I'm not sure he did, doesn't 2 come before 3?

It was an agreeance from previous rankings...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:09 pm

From what I have seen and expect out of Region 1 so far my to date play off teams are:

1. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

2. South Border
3. Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter
4. Hankinson

Richland could compete for the fourth spot if they improve from the blow out loss against Hankinson. I put Wyndmere-Lidgerwood about the rest because I think they are at this point they are ahead of everyone else. I think NGS is the only one who has a chance to take the region from them (seeing as how South Border already lost to them). If NGS can figure things out by the last game of the year when WL heads up there, for a Semi Final rematch, I think it could be a close game but I will still take WL to win.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flaxseedkitty » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 am

popefro wrote:I remember the winters of '94-'97 as I worked outside doing construction back then, and they were very cold winters! I know you are joking, but all in all families just arent as big as they used to be.

I agree with you 100 percent. We just aren't makin enough babies. Football can't exhist withoiut babies to fillthe spots on the feild. I think that some kids aren's going out for football because they're afraid to get hit! When I was a kid my dad made me go out for football and that day when I was a freshman made me become a man. Dissapointment is what I have for the young kids today sitting at home not playing football.
Flaxseedkitty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flaxseedkitty » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 am

How about Sargent Central beating Ellendale by a tremendous score? I think they could knock off big teams and secure their spot in the playoffs.
Flaxseedkitty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Noah's » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am

Flaxseedkitty wrote:
popefro wrote:I remember the winters of '94-'97 as I worked outside doing construction back then, and they were very cold winters! I know you are joking, but all in all families just arent as big as they used to be.

I agree with you 100 percent. We just aren't makin enough babies. Football can't exhist withoiut babies to fillthe spots on the feild. I think that some kids aren's going out for football because they're afraid to get hit! When I was a kid my dad made me go out for football and that day when I was a freshman made me become a man. Dissapointment is what I have for the young kids today sitting at home not playing football.

I am sure glad our service people aren't like that. Can you imagine the conversation..." i'm sorry sir but i don't think i should go out there today i might get hurt". I know, I know a bad choice but it makes you wonder if the person that sits on the sideline scared to play because he might get hurt for basketball or golf or something like that is going to be able to stomach what the real world has for him/her after school. I sure want the go getter on my side when in trouble than the sideliner!!!
Noah's
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 am

Flaxseedkitty wrote:How about Sargent Central beating Ellendale by a tremendous score?

Not surprised.

I think they could knock off big teams and secure their spot in the playoffs.

They've already lost to two potential playoff teams and they'll be 30+ pt dogs to WL, it will be a battle for them to get the #4 spot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Flaxseedkitty wrote:How about Sargent Central beating Ellendale by a tremendous score? I think they could knock off big teams and secure their spot in the playoffs.

They needed that first week to come out in their favor for them to consider a playoff spot. Losing 18-12 to Napleon-GS isn't bad...but the other way around and you statement above would carry a little more weight
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flaxseedkitty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 am

Noah's wrote:
Flaxseedkitty wrote:

I am sure glad our service people aren't like that. Can you imagine the conversation..." i'm sorry sir but i don't think i should go out there today i might get hurt". I know, I know a bad choice but it makes you wonder if the person that sits on the sideline scared to play because he might get hurt for basketball or golf or something like that is going to be able to stomach what the real world has for him/her after school. I sure want the go getter on my side when in trouble than the sideliner!!!

It makes me sick to my stomach to see young men and women not wanting to play a sport or go as hard as then can in practice for that sport. A good team is one who has 9 players who will lay it all down on the line for each other, take a hit for another, and sacrifice himself for the team. If you're missing one player that won't lay it all down and play hard then you have a weak spot in your team. I believe there is only a few teams in the state that can truthfully say they are one of those few teams. It use to be more than half the team that would put it all down and really play football. Football just isn't what it use to be. I think we need to push teams harder and minimize other sports played. That will get people in the weight room and working hard.
Flaxseedkitty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flaxseedkitty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:54 am

Flip wrote:
Flaxseedkitty wrote:How about Sargent Central beating Ellendale by a tremendous score?

Not surprised.

I think they could knock off big teams and secure their spot in the playoffs.

They've already lost to two potential playoff teams and they'll be 30+ pt dogs to WL, it will be a battle for them to get the #4 spot.

I don't see them having any trouble with any teams except maybe Hankinson. And they only look good right now because they haven'y played and of the top teams in the region. By the look of it they'll blow right through EK just like everybody else has so far. That puts them 2 and 2 going into a game with Hankinson. I'd take my chances and put money on them to pull off a win. That'd put them back in the running for that fourth spot.
Flaxseedkitty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 am

Flaxseedkitty wrote:
Noah's wrote:
Flaxseedkitty wrote: Football just isn't what it use to be. I think we need to push teams harder and minimize other sports played. That will get people in the weight room and working hard.

I enjoy FB also but to say we should minimize other sports played in favor of FB is ridiculous. How about we minimize FB in favor of other sports? As I said, I enjoy FB but to place it above other sports is a dangerous road to go down. As far as getting into the weightroom and working hard, I agree, too many kids don't have the work ethic or the self discipline to spend serious time in the weightroom. They go in, but they don't put the effort into it that is necessary to get the full benefits of it. We have a terrific weightroom and it sits empty most of the time.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 am

Ellendale's boys numbers in the high school overall arent great right now but what really hurts is that there are at least 10 able bodied athletes who dont play. This would take the roster from the teens to the high twenty's. Would this change the results on the field? Not necessarily, but depth wouldnt hurt, if only from a practice standpoint. You get every excuse in the book for why some athletes arent out but I am afraid that it basically comes down to not wanting to commit to the work it takes, not having enough heart and/or being afraid of competition. I do not want to over generalize but there are a lot of soft kids these days and a big culprit are the parents, who don't hold them accountable. I am fine with any kid not wanting to play if it simply isnt for them but if it is because they are afraid of competing or the work required, I fear for their futures, unless mom and dad plan on supporting them as adults.

Side rant - The worst is when you get the excuse that its the coach, I'm sorry but that is just simply a cop out. Many of us former players played for someone we didnt necessarily care for but we still played because we had a love for the game, loved to compete and were not afraid of hard work. A key lesson in being a man isnt being taught enough, in my opinion - Own up to your own decisions, dont blame others.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:42 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Ellendale's boys numbers in the high school overall arent great right now but what really hurts is that there are at least 10 able bodied athletes who dont play. This would take the roster from the teens to the high twenty's. Would this change the results on the field? Not necessarily, but depth wouldnt hurt, if only from a practice standpoint. You get every excuse in the book for why some athletes arent out but I am afraid that it basically comes down to not wanting to commit to the work it takes, not having enough heart and/or being afraid of competition. I do not want to over generalize but there are a lot of soft kids these days and a big culprit are the parents, who don't hold them accountable. I am fine with any kid not wanting to play if it simply isnt for them but if it is because they are afraid of competing or the work required, I fear for their futures, unless mom and dad plan on supporting them as adults.

Side rant - The worst is when you get the excuse that its the coach, I'm sorry but that is just simply a cop out. Many of us former players played for someone we didnt necessarily care for but we still played because we had a love for the game, loved to compete and were not afraid of hard work. A key lesson in being a man isnt being taught enough, in my opinion - Own up to your own decisions, dont blame others.

Excellent Post......
Play all the sports when you can....and play them hard
you learn from all experiences Positive or Negative
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks Winner. Too many kids are missing out on some fun times and some great life lessons.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby AF PN » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Totally agree with everything you guys just said about kids not wanting to play because of focusing on one sport or just not wanting to play. I would add one thing and say that I think there are kids that have some motiviation to play, but only if they start, if they don't think they will be able to be a starter, they don't want to go out for the sport then. Sad, but I think that is also part of it.
AF PN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm

What makes Hankinson good? What did they lose from last year?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Flip wrote:What makes Hankinson good? What did they lose from last year?

They lost their QB, and he was a good one, but I see it almost as addition by subtraction as this years team seems to have gelled better than last year. I could be wrong but thats my perception as an outsider. Mauch has stepped into that void nicely.

Birnbaum is a sideline to sideline beast at LB this year and a pretty good OG as well.

Lenzen very good RB and LB.

The 3 Mauchs Sam, Grady and the 3rd ones name escapes me, are all good players.

Hankinson simply puts 9 good football players on the field on both sides of the ball and they are very well coached. Just well balanced.

Not sure how they will do against WL but I think it is going to be a pretty good game, with Hankinson having a shot if they can somehow contain Vazquez and Illies.

As crazy as it is to say, with Illies justifiably getting recruited by D1 schools, Vazquez may be MVP on that team. He is that good.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man