NDHSAA needs to let Central Valley kids play

The teams in 9 Man

NDHSAA needs to let Central Valley kids play

Postby roy hinkley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Mike McFeely has been on this topic for several weeks.

http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php? ... =54&ID=138

written by Mike McFeely (KFGO)
The North Dakota High School Activities Association board of directors needs to reverse course on the knotty case of Dusty Schildberger and Ethan Proznik.

Haven’t heard of them? Let me introduce you. Dusty and Ethan are football players from Central Valley, a high school located in Buxton, N.D. They will be seniors this fall. And, thanks to a ruling by the NDHSAA, they will not have a team on which to play.

It isn’t quite that simple, of course. In the words of Grand Forks Herald sportswriter Tom Miller, Dusty and Ethan have “become the collateral damage in a complicated mess of declining rural school enrollments, the delicate negotations of cooperative sponsorships and the rules of the North Dakota High School Activities Association.”

All of that is true. There are some adult things going on here, all of which play into the fact that Dusty and Ethan will not have the opportunity to play their senior season of football. For the sake of brevity, we will not go into the long version of events.

The short version is this: Central Valley doesn’t have enough kids to field a 9-man football team, so it will co-op with Hillsboro. But that will not happen until 2013. That means the two seniors from Central Valley – Dusty and Ethan – won’t have a team this fall. So they’ve asked to play for Hillsboro, essentially becoming a “co-op” one year early. The NDHSAA board of directors has already said no, because allowing the two players on Hillsboro would mean the Burros would have to count all 109 students at Central Valley for the purpose of enrollment. That would bump Hillsboro from 9-man to Class 2A 11-man and mess up already-set sections and schedules.

Like we said, it’s complicated. And remember, that’s the short version.

And it is the by-the-rule-book-version. The NDHSAA board says it can’t bend the rules for two players, no matter their situation, because it would open the proverbial can of worms and send everybody down the proverbial slippery slope.

That is the proverbial five-gallon pail of bovine waste matter because the board is taking the proverbial easy way out.

Former Central Valley football coach Randy Vigen and Hillsboro athletic director Terry Baesler sent an appeal to the NDHSAA last week asking the organization to make an exception to the rules that would allow Dusty and Ethan to play their senior years in Burros uniforms. The board will take up the matter at a meeting June 19.

It should be an easy vote.

Let them play.

We know, we know. To bend the rules and allow two kids to play in odd, extraordinary circumstances they had no role in creating would mostly likely lead to a collapse of organized high school sports in North Dakota as we know them, but that’s a chance the NDHSAA should take.

We jest, of course. Giving the Dusty and Ethan the green light to play for Hillsboro would have a minimal effect at best, and only if they contribute in some way to Burros’ victories or defeats.

The board must look at this case individually and make the proper decision to let them play. It should be about finding a way to allow the two players to participate, not using a rule book to deny their opportunity.

Sometimes leadership is about making decisions that aren’t by the book. It should not be difficult for the NDHSAA board to unanimously vote in favor of two teen-agers who did nothing wrong, yet are being punished as if they did.

This has now appeared in the Grand Forks Herald/ Fargo Forum/ KFGO/ Hillsboro Banner. I could see if this were 5 or more kids and the chance to sway a team. But we are talking 2 young men who love football.
roy hinkley
NDPreps Reserve

Re: NDHSAA needs to let Central Valley kids play

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

I agree 100%. Let the kids play! Thats what sports are all about, even if it helps Hillsboro win some games. Its for the kids. If anyone complains lets tell them that their kids can't play and see how they act. It looks as if Hillsboro will be moving up next year anyways.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby DCFan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 pm

I agree that they should be allowed to play somewhere.But this should have been settled when this 2 year plan was approved. Both CV and the NDHSAA knew this was going to happen this year. If the NDHSAA wanted to uphold their rules they should not have allowed CV to play last year knowing they would not be able to field a team this year or come up with a plan to help out these 2 boys. Not only does this mess up football for the 2 players but it also messes up that region as they will now play 1 less game. Now how do they match up against the other region for playoffs. Although it sounds like region 3 might only have 9 teams also. this creates another problem as that those 2 regions could get a week off if the schedule is not adjusted, while the other 2 regions will play straight thru to the playoffs. The NDHSAA 9 man plan just blew up in their face and the more traction this story gets creates a real problem for the NDHSAA.
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Region 2 is actually 2 teams short. Drayton-St. Thomas-Valley is also out of the mix.

Those 2 kids need a place to play their senior season. And the NDHSAA should allow the rest of the CV kids to play with Hillsboro's JV. But that might be asking too much.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby roy hinkley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Most excellent comment Hinsa!
These boys and the remaining Central Valley JV Team need as much suppport as they can get!
Not to play this year would have a direct effect on how many kids from CV play football next year during the Co-op! :(
roy hinkley
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BROBRO » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 am

Definately let the kids play.
BROBRO
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kiper » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:30 am

Isn't the purpose of the NDHSAA to let kids play football? instead of not allowing them to play? The kids haven't done anything wrong, and it would kill me to not see those kids playing next year. Neither of the kids were all region or anything, i guess i just do not see the harm.
kiper
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am

Typical NDHSAA BS! Where does common sense come into this? Its not going to blow up the world if these kids play for Hillsburo. To punish them because some of the adults on the 2 school boards couldn't agree on things earlier is asinine, but then again a lot of what the NDHSAA does is asinine. Time for some new leadership at the NDHSAA!!!!! (or any leadership for that matter)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby footballchicken » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 am

Hopefully these kids get to play, it would be a shame if they are ruled against. But, looking at the meeting agenda, i see there is a similar case with a FWinds GBB player - if the football boys get an exemption, one would think the basketball player would too. i see them voting against for all because of the other case. If it was a solo case, maybe they make an exemption.
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 pm

so far...its not looking good for the CV football players :(
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Would you update us when they officially drop the hammer to the end their football days. Seems like you're at the meeting.

Is there a strong push from anyone not to let these kids play?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Flip wrote:Would you update us when they officially drop the hammer to the end their football days. Seems like you're at the meeting.

Is there a strong push from anyone not to let these kids play?

I am not at the meeting...I was just posting what I've heard
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Taken from Fargo Forum online.

NDHSAA Board extends the Central Valley football debate

VALLEY CITY, N.D. – The careers of Central Valley senior football players Ethan Proznik and Dusty Schildberger are still in limbo.

The pair remains hopeful of getting an opportunity to play next fall at Hillsboro High School after Central Valley’s program dissolved following the 2011 season. North Dakota is entering the second year of a two-year plan, which is preventing the schools from a co-op this fall and could mean Central Valley’s football players sitting out a year.

A motion brought forth by Central Valley and Hillsboro to allow Proznik and Schildberger to play for the Hillsboro varsity football team and for the remained of Central Valley’s players to play junior varsity for the Burros was tabled for a later date by the North Dakota High School Activities Association board of directors on Tuesday.

There still is an 11th hour scenario where the football seasons for Central Valley athletes could be revived.

The board passed a motion for the state’s football committee to explore the feasibility of altering its bylaws to allow for the creation of co-ops in between years of the two year plan for the upcoming school year.

The football committee will meet sometime between June 30th and from there the NDHSAA board will take the findings and make a concrete decision via teleconfence by June 30th.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:17 pm

I just read in the Forum that Sherm Sylling takes the tabling of the decision and assigning it to the football committee to re-do the language as a good sign. Sylling thinks the committee will find a way to make this happen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1402 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 am

There was talk about an "emergency" co-op. Which said that it would cost the school $2,000 for the kids to play ($1,000 per player.) They make their final decision today, hopefully it goes through.
baseball1402
NDPreps Starter

Postby roy hinkley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

The motion from what I have heard at this time was approved. Ethan and Dusty will be allowed to participate in Burro Football. I know the parents want to thank everyone for all the support for these 2 fine boys..... And Thank the NDHSAA Board, on a very difficult decision.
roy hinkley
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Great decision!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 pm

What's the deal with the CV underclassmen, will they be able to participate in with Hillsboro's JV?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 am

While this was a great decision to let them play, I do not understand the point of the fee. I'm sure it is to deter other schools from breaking the coop plan in the middle of the 2 yr cycle, but what gain is there in making a small school pay a couple grand that is not in the budget to let kids participate? I think there could have been a better solution than that
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to 9 - Man