Championship post game thread

The teams in 9 Man

Re: Championship post game thread

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:31 pm

AF PN wrote:It's too bad Jonah is only 5'8". He could play somewhere if it wasn't for his height.

No he couldn't. Don't get too caught up in the 9-man world. He has no pocket presence, not a very strong arm, and a slow looping throwing motion that looks bad.

Hagler on the other hand, had a nice whip on his throwing motion. He thows on the run remarkably well. Only knock I have on him (but a big one if evaluating for college) is that he can't stand in the pocket and throw. He is totally uncomfortable doing it. I saw him do it maybe 5 times all game. He started to towards the end only because he was cramping and couldn't run. All his running around won't work in college. It wouldn't even work if he played AA. The extra people on the field would hurt him, plus in higher levels there are long, rangy d-ends that would chase him down.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Indy5 wrote:
AF PN wrote:It's too bad Jonah is only 5'8". He could play somewhere if it wasn't for his height.

No he couldn't. Don't get too caught up in the 9-man world. He has no pocket presence, not a very strong arm, and a slow looping throwing motion that looks bad.

Hagler on the other hand, had a nice whip on his throwing motion. He thows on the run remarkably well. Only knock I have on him (but a big one if evaluating for college) is that he can't stand in the pocket and throw. He is totally uncomfortable doing it. I saw him do it maybe 5 times all game. He started to towards the end only because he was cramping and couldn't run. All his running around won't work in college. It wouldn't even work if he played AA. The extra people on the field would hurt him, plus in higher levels there are long, rangy d-ends that would chase him down.

Schwartzenberger could find somewhere to walk on and try to play DB...QB is out of the question though
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:02 pm

One of the most exciting games I've ever been too. Hagler is a flat out stud, NGS was the best team in the state and I have no question that NS was the second best, glad to see both teams made it to the title game. Only problem I have is that this game should have been the final game of the day, BY FAR best game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defense1st » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 am

And the longest. 3+ hours. The first half seemed like a game in itself. I'm guessing both teams slept well last night.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:43 am

The Schwab wrote:One of the most exciting games I've ever been too. Hagler is a flat out stud, NGS was the best team in the state and I have no question that NS was the second best, glad to see both teams made it to the title game. Only problem I have is that this game should have been the final game of the day, BY FAR best game.

Hagler even looks like the Manning Bros......whoa! someone has tuned him in!........with players like these 2 teams bring.....it really don't matter what time they play........the programs represent themselves! .... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kr6t4ChnH0

Hi-lites from this game with Mark Beighley for KZZY doing the audio (they had problems early on). Needless to say, there were MANY big plays not included in this video.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 pm

For pure passing ability, I'd easily take Hagler over Schwartzenberger, but obviously Schwartzenberger has another dimension to offer. As for Hagler not being comfortable as a pocket passer---when did he have a chance? It seemed he was running for his life on almost every play. Schwartzenberger could stand back in the pocket and scan the field several times before finding someone who had finally broken wide open. Hagler was passing while on a dead run and could still hit someone who was usually well-covered.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 pm

If you're running a pro style offense Hagler if you're running a spread type offense Schwartzenberger. Hagler would probably be good at running the spread too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:31 pm

I would take Hagler no matter what type of offense i was running. The kid can play the quarterback position a well as anyone I have seen. That running throws he was squeezing into covered guys were amazing. I think he is a better pocket passer than he gets credit for. In the championship game he didn't have the option to stay in the pocket because he had 3 defenders chasing him every play and he still put up unbelievable numbers! IMO he was definetly player of the game.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby dyhardballa09 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:20 am

If Jacob wasn't a D1 prospect in basketball, he could easily be a very good NAIA/Div. II QB. Very smart player, look at his TD to INT ratio...it was like 6 to 1. Granted Grande is VERY good, but Hagler puts the ball in VERY good spots for Daniel. Great combination. Its going to be neat to see what their career numbers will look like after next year.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 am

Bell's from Wyndmere was 29:1 before the semifinal game, where he threw 2 more.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am

Bell will be a very good QB if he decides to go play college ball. He has a good arm, makes good decsions, and is pretty mobile. He is a good size for QB at 6' 2" and I think like 185.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby ILoveBaseball21 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 am

Indy5 wrote:

So you are saying no quarterback is perfect and 9-man football quarterbacks are a joke.
ILoveBaseball21
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I don't know if you watched any of the championship games but 9 man had by far the best quarterback play. I would take either of those quarterbacks and match them up against any quarterback in North Dakota. I'm not saying they are better than everyone or even as good as everyone but they sure aren't that much worse than anyone. Saying that 9 man QBs are any different or worse than any other division is ridiculous. Just because there is 4 less people on the field doesn't mean they are worse. They don't pick the division they play in.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby dyhardballa09 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Well, being 9-man does make a difference. Less elaborate defense, not many stunts thrown at you. The zone coverage is considerably weaker, since 9-man has 2 less guys to cover same zones. So each defensive player has bigger zones that may have 2 receivers in it. Also, at a 9-man level, passing defensing is one of the things that isn't taught much. Teams tend to focus on tackling and defeating blocks more than pass defense. Not saying that Hagler and Schwartzenberger aren't great QBs, but it does make a difference in 9-man compared to 11-man at QB position.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

dyhardballa09 wrote:Well, being 9-man does make a difference. Less elaborate defense, not many stunts thrown at you. The zone coverage is considerably weaker, since 9-man has 2 less guys to cover same zones. So each defensive player has bigger zones that may have 2 receivers in it. Also, at a 9-man level, passing defensing is one of the things that isn't taught much. Teams tend to focus on tackling and defeating blocks more than pass defense. Not saying that Hagler and Schwartzenberger aren't great QBs, but it does make a difference in 9-man compared to 11-man at QB position.

so instead of scoring 50-60 they score 30-40
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 pm

It's also 2 less receivers or backs or blockers
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:16 pm

it is two less blockers (eligible players). Both 9 and 11 man have 6 players that may run routes past the line. Where 9 man teams really have the advantage putting up points and yards is with the open field and amount of time the quarterbacks have. In 11 man teams trying to defend the pass will rush 3 and drop 8. You can cover pretty well with 8 in a zone, even a seven man zone rushing 4. In the championship game North Star for the most part tried to rush 3, leaving 6 in coverage. They could not get preasure on the qb giving him all day. If they did get close eventually, he would just split a couple linemen and the 6 players covering down field were so spread out, he often didn't meet someone until after he had picked up the first down.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby AF PN » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:07 pm

It seems like everyone here realizes that hagler is pretty good, could play DII quarterback...ect......what does everyone think of hagler after seeing him on Friday catching passes constantly double teamed?? DII as well....?? Better....worse?? Interested to hear any opinions on that.
AF PN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AF PN » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I meant to say Grande there on the second part. What does everyone think of Grande's next level prospects??
AF PN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dyhardballa09 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Basketball
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I think he would easily make a great D2 WR. I think if he sat a year or 2 he could be a productive player at a lot of D1 colleges.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby panthercub » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm

D1 Football go to this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kr6t4ChnH0 and watch some highlights he makes all the catches and he runs routes very well and can out jump anybody!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

I think what impresses me most about Grande is his body control. It takes a ridiculous amount of control to make the catches he does. He also has amazing field vision, he always knows where he is on th field and where he needs to go to get open. His route running is also pretty good. I don't think I have seen one lazy route, they are all really sharp.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:38 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I don't know if you watched any of the championship games but 9 man had by far the best quarterback play. I would take either of those quarterbacks and match them up against any quarterback in North Dakota. I'm not saying they are better than everyone or even as good as everyone but they sure aren't that much worse than anyone. Saying that 9 man QBs are any different or worse than any other division is ridiculous. Just because there is 4 less people on the field doesn't mean they are worse. They don't pick the division they play in.

I'm not trying to make 9-man sound like a total joke but it is MUCH easier offesnively. Think about this, if you're a QB and you have 5 receivers running routes, would you rather have 11 or 9 defenders?

Offensively, everything is easier in 9-man. Passing wise, there are less people to cover the same amount of receivers. Rushing wise, you can either spread them out, making more space to run or even if you want a power running game, there are 2 less people that have to do their job blocking every play, making it easier.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to 9 - Man