Officials Apologize for Early 9-Man Start

The teams in 9 Man

Officials Apologize for Early 9-Man Start

Postby heimer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

(Undated)--North Dakota High Screw of All Athletes officials have apologized to teams from Cando and Napoleon for forcing them to play at 9:00 a.m. for a state final.

"Our failure to plan for a Bison home game, combined with being held hostage by the Metro Tournament Criminals, is still no excuse to make players play for a state title while deer hunters are still on just their second cup of coffee," an unnamed source said to reporters Tuesday.

The issue stems from the rotation of the series landing in Fargo this year and North Dakota State playing at home the Saturday of the traditional weekend of the finals. Since the Fargodome will be in use by the Bison Saturday, officials were left looking for options.

Other options did exist, such as moving the games back to the Alerus Center in Grand Forks, or using a different combination of days.

But Eddie Secureboards, speaking on behalf of the Metro Tournament Criminals, defended the decision.

"Minnesota has the same system, and we know that most of our state wishes to be more like Minnesota anyway, with the abundance of shopping, liberal government, multi-class system of sports, and huge budget deficits," explained Secureboards.

"Lets face it, only the AAA game matters anyway," continued Secureboards. "We regard the AA game as 'junior varsity', and we don't even acknowledge the other levels. Its the only way television stations would air the games, and we all agree that without television, the games would be meaningless."

"Come to think of it, are there really other levels of football besides AAA and junior varsity?" asked Secureboards after the comments.

While some officials have said that the option remains open to return to a two-day format in the future, Secureboards says it's a long shot.

"We all have lives, and the Bison are really good. I simply do not have time to cater to the whims of some small-town high school teams that think they deserve a better deal. They have no idea my level of giving to the Teammakers, and I will not miss a game for something as trivial as a state title. You'd think this is an organization that believes in athletics, based on this reaction. Everyone knows it's all about money," said Secureboards.

In fact, the North Dakota High Screw of All Athletes football committee is considering a plan to condense the season to just 7 games, eliminate the playoffs, and use a poll to vote on the two teams that should play in a winner-take-all title game for each class.

Scotty Notmearea, a member of the committee, says the plan has promise. "We could eliminate so much travel cost and lost school time with this plan. We know the NCAA has had success with their BCS, and our plan, one we've entitled Scholastic Upside Peformance Enhancing Rationale Bowl Selection, has great potential. This Friday is the start of phasing in the plan," he explained.

The plan does have one downside. To eliminate loss of school time, the games would be spread out over four arenas, with the largest schools playing in Grand Forks and Fargo, and the smallest schools travelling to the Metrodome in Minneapolis, and Vermillion, SD, for other indoor facilities. The games would be played simultaneously, and carried on pay-per-view television.

"The plan keeps everyone indoors during bad weather. The largest schools, which we care about the most, would stay in North Dakota, while the smallest schools would have the added benefit of smaller crowds, which would improve sportsmanship tremendously, something we really care about at the North Dakota High Screw of All Athletes," said Notmearea.

He added, "With the pay-per-view option, we could also maximize our revenue, an area we always want to improve in. After all, no fine arts kid should ever leave his ninth-grade year without a trophy."

The pay-per-view option may not be a revenue-starter, as some would hope, since fees for prime time events are at a premium at the indoor arenas. Most games are projected to start at 2:00 a.m. local time.

"Hey, I would have shown up anytime to play a state title game when I was in school. Why should it be any different now," said Secureboards.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Officials Apologize for Early 9-Man Start

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I vote perma-ban.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Satire to express an opinion. Clearly satire. Public entities and officials open themselves for criticism. And fine, perma-ban me. I won't care.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I found heimer's post to be very humerous! :) (The truth is often as funny or funnier than anything someone makes up.) I will be very disappointed if heimer is banned for this post.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

heimer wrote:Satire to express an opinion. Clearly satire. Public entities and officials open themselves for criticism. And fine, perma-ban me. I won't care.

i think it was good quality satire!
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Nothing wrong with the post as we all know heimer's position, but you have way too much time on your hands dude. Like I've stated before, walk a few blocks down the road and read this at the next NDHSAA meeting if it bothers you so much.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
heimer wrote:Satire to express an opinion. Clearly satire. Public entities and officials open themselves for criticism. And fine, perma-ban me. I won't care.

i think it was good quality satire!

C'mon, give him a break, this was entertaining! Nothing wrong with this, at least he has the stones to speak out against something.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby thunder » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I vote.....pretty funny stuff heimer.
thunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wrestlerfan65 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Great post . I know this will never ever happen but for once make the big schools play an early game . Wonder who would show up for those games ???
wrestlerfan65
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scrappingerman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 pm

LOL. People please don't be so easily offended. Speaking from a fan who has witnessed a 9 am State Championship Game and a home town victory. It is such a great feeling to savor the moment for 10 minutes before your quickly ushered of the field.
"No lingering celebrations folks. We got a game in 20 and 2 more to play after that. Congrats but don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out"
scrappingerman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 pm

This post was hilarious! Finally someone had the stones to put what everyone was thinking onto a post. And if one of the AAA schools had to play at 9 am there would be an uprising and a change of venue.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Real working people.....will work the graveyard shift to prepare For the young players to play four Games in broad daylight, Oh did I mention inside, with controlled climate....(had to be a day when all this took place outside in the snow (but that would be much more comfortable, not to mention convenient for everyone involved).....I'd give anything for my players to have less time on their Smartphones and Ipods and get busy on the field....heck, milk some cows first then get on the Bus......Thats it! the end of the world is coming.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:54 pm

No one said it was the end of the world it's just an convience. Think about it...some teams like to get there like an hour and a half to two hours early. Plus let's just say an hour drive...that means leaving at 6 o clock. Then you have to be at the school early to load stuff, plus getting ready in the morning. That means some of these kids would be getting up between 4:30 and 5:30. I would never complain if I got the chance to compete for a state title. I think it's going to come down to bugging the parents and fans way more than the players
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 am

Don't both schools have Volleyball teams playing on Thursday night???? Wouldn't the HSAA have a say in having a football game so close to a VB game, as VB is clearly what they schedule all the athletics around???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 am

defensewinsgames wrote:No one said it was the end of the world it's just an convience. Think about it...some teams like to get there like an hour and a half to two hours early. Plus let's just say an hour drive...that means leaving at 6 o clock. Then you have to be at the school early to load stuff, plus getting ready in the morning. That means some of these kids would be getting up between 4:30 and 5:30. I would never complain if I got the chance to compete for a state title. I think it's going to come down to bugging the parents and fans way more than the players

YOU THINK!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:35 pm

heimer, you kill me. That was great stuff. Know that you go a little overboard at times, but that was great reading.

justplayalready wrote:Don't both schools have Volleyball teams playing on Thursday night???? Wouldn't the HSAA have a say in having a football game so close to a VB game, as VB is clearly what they schedule all the athletics around???

Is this true? If so, these fans are expected to cheer on their volleyball teams, load up and drive for hours. Check in to their rooms in the wee hours. Get up, check out of their rooms, go watch a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game at 9:00 in the morning. Boy, what a celebration that is. Something is just wrong with this situation. What a crock.
I realize that players will get up for this game no matter what time it is played. But part of playing or cheering for a chance at a state championship is the fun of being there and relishing the time prior to the game. Just knowing that you are part of something only 1 other team in the state is feeling. Really sad this has to happen.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:40 pm

I know that Napoleon is playing vball on thursday for the Region Title, Linton is also playing (I know they play the noon game, but still). I don't believe NS is in their region title game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 pm

The Schwab wrote:I know that Napoleon is playing vball on thursday for the Region Title, Linton is also playing (I know they play the noon game, but still). I don't believe NS is in their region title game.

All the teams below have volleyball games on Thursday night:
Napoleon
Linton-HMB
Stanley

All the teams below have volleyball games on Thursday & Friday nights:
Fargo Shanley
Bismarck
Century

Just figured I'd clarify all those who play in all levels.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:08 pm

classB4ever wrote:heimer, you kill me. That was great stuff. Know that you go a little overboard at times, but that was great reading.

justplayalready wrote:Don't both schools have Volleyball teams playing on Thursday night???? Wouldn't the HSAA have a say in having a football game so close to a VB game, as VB is clearly what they schedule all the athletics around???

Is this true? If so, these fans are expected to cheer on their volleyball teams, load up and drive for hours. Check in to their rooms in the wee hours. Get up, check out of their rooms, go watch a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game at 9:00 in the morning. Boy, what a celebration that is. Something is just wrong with this situation. What a crock.
I realize that players will get up for this game no matter what time it is played. But part of playing or cheering for a chance at a state championship is the fun of being there and relishing the time prior to the game. Just knowing that you are part of something only 1 other team in the state is feeling. Really sad this has to happen.

which almost makes it appropriate for the fans going to the dome that didn't attend one game all season!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballchick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I know that Napoleon is playing vball on thursday for the Region Title, Linton is also playing (I know they play the noon game, but still). I don't believe NS is in their region title game.

Napoleon
Linton-HMB
Stanley

Fargo Shanley
Bismarck
Century

North Star plays for 3rd place at 6 pm on Thursday. Go Lady Bearcats!
bballchick
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

bballchick wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Napoleon
Linton-HMB
Stanley

Fargo Shanley
Bismarck
Century

North Star plays for 3rd place at 6 pm on Thursday. Go Lady Bearcats!

My apologies! I only looked at the Title games. Yes North Star does play for 3rd vs. Langdon.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:27 pm

winner-within wrote:
classB4ever wrote:heimer, you kill me. That was great stuff. Know that you go a little overboard at times, but that was great reading.

which almost makes it appropriate for the fans going to the dome that didn't attend one game all season!!!

winner, you make me laugh. You always have a different angle on things. Probably a lot of truth in your statement. But you know, if we didn't have wagons to jump on, there would have been a lot more walking going on. No matter what anybody says, Preps is a better place with you in it. hahahaha
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:12 am

well I would never claim I make anything better but I appreciate the gesture!.....I credit my Mother for my way of thinking.....I'll tell a story about tough times and she will tell one that makes mine sound like Paradise compared to hers......She would say it like this "the folks making sacrifices, compared to the ones on Easy Street, will win in the end"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:38 am

This is whats wrong with tomorrow in the Dome......first of all we shouldn't be playing football, we should all be standing in attention and looking up the flag thinking an showing grace for our favorite President....or better yet our current one....right???

the split day is the problem-O.....it should all start at 11:00 AM and then go 4 games in a row.....the concessions and the prices for things should all make a little more sense..... for this is not Hockey where you take out a Hockey Loan to make it thru the year....its Fooootball Americana Style!.....then the AAA could still be in the stands at 10 pm....for (and I like using this entry) they drive Home...or to a local Hotel and walla its all done.....4 champs in 11 hours!!!....4 1st runner ups....and 2,000 tired, confused, pi$$ed off, Joyous, half snookered, Fans!!!!....good nite :P :P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 am

I agree winner. I like having the 4 games on one day and I think it would turn into better attendance overall. If my team is not in a title game, I'm not driving all the way to Fargo or GF for 2 games, but would definitely do it if I could make a whole day of it and take in all 4 games. Start them later and it would all work out fine.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man