9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

The teams in 9 Man

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Indy5 wrote:When I think of balance, I think more of yards, not necessarily how many attempts. You can be a team that tries to run the ball, but if you can't do it, you won't in a big situation, meaning you aren't very balanced.

This is what I was getting at.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2930
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:14 pm

HONKER wrote:29 pass, 27 rush is balance. It's not how many yards you get at each, it's that the defense has to stay honest.

But if you don't get any yards in one of them, they really don't have to stay that honest. They welcome you trying to do something you can't.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby oldminerfan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Wow, alot of people missed the finer parts of these two teams. For some to be offended by someone calling their guys basketball players is crazy. To be a good basketball player you need all the tools that are great in 9-man football. I think NS proved that with a great passing and receiving team complete with 2 QBs that can perform. Hagler used his big linemen many times as a screen, such as in a basketball game, to buy time to deliver a throw to a receiver, who used position such as in a rebounding situation, to catch the pass. When they have these tools why wouldn't you throw the ball. On DC's side for the majority of the game they dominated the line of scrimmage and of course are going to run until it doesn't work any longer. Both teams played very hard and someone had to lose. It was a good game and both teams should be proud. Wish Hagler could have played more of the 2nd half for NS and DC's #4 middle linebacker/running back wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first half. Would have been interesting to see if the result would have been the same with both teams at full strength to the end.
oldminerfan
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby vball10 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:14 am

oldminerfan wrote:Wow, alot of people missed the finer parts of these two teams. For some to be offended by someone calling their guys basketball players is crazy. To be a good basketball player you need all the tools that are great in 9-man football. I think NS proved that with a great passing and receiving team complete with 2 QBs that can perform. Hagler used his big linemen many times as a screen, such as in a basketball game, to buy time to deliver a throw to a receiver, who used position such as in a rebounding situation, to catch the pass. When they have these tools why wouldn't you throw the ball. On DC's side for the majority of the game they dominated the line of scrimmage and of course are going to run until it doesn't work any longer. Both teams played very hard and someone had to lose. It was a good game and both teams should be proud. Wish Hagler could have played more of the 2nd half for NS and DC's #4 middle linebacker/running back wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first half. Would have been interesting to see if the result would have been the same with both teams at full strength to the end.


I'm not offended because they are saying North Star is a bunch of basketball players. You made great points that make them a good passing team. I was offended that they were saying North Star wouldn't beat DC because it was a bunch of basketball players playing football. Not many people said those exact words on the forum but I have heard it everywhere.
vball10
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby SportShots » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 am

I was at the game and am a professional photographer. If you would like to see images from the game go to my site at http://www.sportshots.org

Don't have to buy a thing to look and I don't expect you to. Looking will give you a feel for what was happening. A back and forth game with momentum going both ways at various times.

The kid of game that has one feeling it is a shame that anyone loses. Good weather, good field, good fans on both sides and a hard fought contest.

Will be interesting to see how North Star does at State. Their Basketball Title was the first State Championship for the school if fans are to be believed. Now they play for a Football title in the same year. This has the whole community excited. Win or lose, they are having a good ride.

As I wrote, I photograph for a living. I shoot for the Pierce County Tribune often and have done sports and news photography for a number of years. Have been shooting professionally since the early 1970's and have taught photo classes, seminars and workshops during that time from the US Army to College. I photograph a lot with the larger View Cameras, mainly 5x7 and 8x10 inch film size. Have worked with film up to 20x24 inches in size(Polaroid massive camera - one of a half dozen in existence in this size) but mainly hand processed work in my own darkroom. I print in traditional Silver B&W, hand poured Platinum/Palladium and hand poured Carbon tissue images. I mix my own chemistry and process my B&W sheet film in the dark by inspection(a dark green safelight on at times to check how the latent image is developing), a one sheet at a time process that allows me to control development as I see how it is coming during the process.

Went to High School at Minot Model when my father was stationed at Minot Air Force Base. About 6 years ago we moved back and live North of Rugby about 15 miles on old farmstead. Nice and quiet and a great location for my work photographing the quiet landscape, abandoned farmsteads and farming related activity. Love being back in North Dakota again. Good people and good light and an enjoyable place to live.

Sports photography is a lot of fun. You get one chance and it is over. You can't re-do action photos. You either get it or you miss it. With the Single Lens Cameras we use for Sports... if you see the action in the viewfinder - you did not get the picture. At the moment of image capture the screen is blacked out. Digital has made some things easier at the same time it presents new challenges and problems. Either way, I work to get the best images I can.

If you visit the website and look at the images be aware I shoot a bit 'loose' at many of the events so I can capture more of the feel of the game and more participants. If I were only shooting for newspapers I would shoot fewer images..., nowhere near as many. But, papers use one or two at the most of nearly any event. So, I started putting images up this way for greater exposure as well as more sales. Take a look and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do taking them.

In my younger years I participated in Baseball, wrestling and boxing. Baseball in HS, Wrestling in HS, College and AAU tournaments and Boxing at the amateur level for 11 years as well as a sparring partner for a few pro's during the time. Didn't turn pro because I cut too easily and if you even look at my nose I started bleeding. Don't think I had more than a few fights in that time where I wasn't bleeding. Fought for the Minot Air Force Base team when we were in North Dakota during my High School years. Sure was a great experience and I met some pretty good folks like Wilber Spotted Wolf and Sammy Woods, two guys I remember from the squared circle. At any rate... I have no photos of my sports participation. I shoot partly hoping those who see what I do have the chance for some images of the greatest times of their life. Young, healthy and active and doing what they enjoy before they have to face reality and work for a living. The few who end up in the pro ranks have short careers due to the nature of the beast... and I have a good file of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice to Johnny Bench and Steve Garvey. All thanks to the cameras and shooting for publication and teams through the years. High School and kids sports is fun and enjoyable. So, take a look and I hope you enjoy the images.
SportShots
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby panthercub » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 am

HONKER wrote:29 pass, 27 rush is balance. It's not how many yards you get at each, it's that the defense has to stay honest.

That was my point thanks :)
User avatar
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: 9-Man Semifinals: Divide County @ North Star

Postby classB4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:When I think of balance, I think more of yards, not necessarily how many attempts. You can be a team that tries to run the ball, but if you can't do it, you won't in a big situation, meaning you aren't very balanced.

This is what I was getting at.

Sorry, but have to disagree. Remember Barry Sanders in his day. Run, 1 yard, run -2 yards, etc., and then in the 4th quarter when the d-line gets worn down, bam, 75 yards for the score. This is even more prevalent in 9-man football. Kid might have 15 carries for 125 yds but 1 play nets him 80 of those yards.
Looks to me like Northstar had a game plan and stuck with it. Credit DC for good tackling and not allowing that big run play to happen. Northstar kept running the ball and it paid off by eating away at the clock and setting up the passing game. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Previous

Return to 9 - Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests