Coaching with Class

The teams in 9 Man

Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm

First off, this is NOT a thread about running up the score, I do not believe that it is an offensive coaches job to stop their own offense.

I have just either witnessed first hand or heard about a couple of instances of coaching classlessness the last couple of weeks and I am interested in others' thoughts.

A team kept their starters in with a 52 point lead and go to a hurry up offense with a minute to play in the half in order to score again. This same team had kicked an onside kick with that 52 point lead and kicked an onside again after they were up 65 to 0 in the second half.

A team is up by 30 with 40 seconds to play and they run a flea flicker.

What would be the purpose of this? By the way, neither of the offending teams are battling to make the playoffs so point differential is moot.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

point differential wouldn't matter anyways because there is a 17-point maximum.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10585
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:point differential wouldn't matter anyways because there is a 17-point maximum.


Understood, but I knew it would be one of the first things to be mentioned as a possible excuse for these decisions so I wanted to address that right away. I wasnt sure what the maximum point allowance was.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby Outlaw77 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Butch league, that is what I call that. It serves no purpose to do that to any team, no matter what sport or what level of competition. I've witnessed this lack of character and don't get it. Up by 30+, running clock, 3rd and long, let's throw the ball????? Or my favorite, 36 pt lead, running clock, let's practice our onside kick????? What are you trying to prove, you have a team beaten so now humiliate them? Teach them to kick a guy when they are down. Some coaches will never get it, which is really to bad.
Outlaw77
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I agree that these instances are definitely classless and there is no way getting around that.

I was accused once about running up the score, being classless, etc. as a coach. The situation was we were in the last JH game of the year and up I think 20 pts. There were only a couple minutes left and we had the ball down around the 25 yard line. I had one kid that was a freshmen playing JH because he was too small and uncoordinated. Coached him for 3 years and he hadn't got a lot of plays in where he got the ball so I wanted to try to get him a TD. Had him at wideout and tried to throw a simple out to him. Incomplete. Then ran a 90lb 7th grade RB on a dive for 5-6 yards. Tried another simple out to him same side of the field, same formation....incomplete. Another dive with the same RB for a 1st down. Tried one last pass to the kid as time was going out and he finally caught it and ran 15 yards for a TD as time expired. The other sideline, coaches and fans, were ticked. I wasn't doing anything fancy and the plays were very predictable and easy to stop. I had actually done the same thing on the previous series before we lost it on downs. Then after a couple plays the other team fumbled it back to us. To me, this wasn't classless but others still think it was and it has bothered me a bit for a while now. I guess the point of this story is that there may be another reason in some of these instances, however, with the ones you described in the first post, I don't think there is any way to construe them to be acceptible.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:35 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I agree that these instances are definitely classless and there is no way getting around that.

I was accused once about running up the score, being classless, etc. as a coach. The situation was we were in the last JH game of the year and up I think 20 pts. There were only a couple minutes left and we had the ball down around the 25 yard line. I had one kid that was a freshmen playing JH because he was too small and uncoordinated. Coached him for 3 years and he hadn't got a lot of plays in where he got the ball so I wanted to try to get him a TD. Had him at wideout and tried to throw a simple out to him. Incomplete. Then ran a 90lb 7th grade RB on a dive for 5-6 yards. Tried another simple out to him same side of the field, same formation....incomplete. Another dive with the same RB for a 1st down. Tried one last pass to the kid as time was going out and he finally caught it and ran 15 yards for a TD as time expired. The other sideline, coaches and fans, were ticked. I wasn't doing anything fancy and the plays were very predictable and easy to stop. I had actually done the same thing on the previous series before we lost it on downs. Then after a couple plays the other team fumbled it back to us. To me, this wasn't classless but others still think it was and it has bothered me a bit for a while now. I guess the point of this story is that there may be another reason in some of these instances, however, with the ones you described in the first post, I don't think there is any way to construe them to be acceptible.

In that instance I would say that if you were so concerned about getting your kid a TD you shoulda worked him into your offensive scheme a little more during the game. If you've got a better team and a 20+ pt. lead and you continue to push to score in the waning minutes of an assured victory to make yourself and one kid happy at the expense of the entire other team that makes you look small. Justify your reasons however you want, but if it has bothered you for awhile now, it may be because you know it was wrong.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby mavs64 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:32 am

I don't think it is right to critize a coach without knowing all the facts. You don't know if the coach that was trying to get that kid a touchdown hadn't try several times before earlier in games and been unsuccessful. It is sometimes hard for people that have those star players that score almost every time they touch the ball to understand what it is like to watch a kid give everything he has every day both at practice and in the game and never have the thrill of getting a touchdown. How many parents have heard their kids say " All I want is one qb sack or one reception " with a tear in their eyes? I wasn't at that game, but as long as the coach told the other coach after the game why he did what he did so the other coach could tell his team so they wouldn't feel bad I think it was ok.

As for the onsides kick late in a game they were up big I don't believe in that either, but there may have been a reason for that too. Was the regular kicker hurt? Sometimes when you put a backup kicker in they miss hit a ball that looks like an onsides kick.

Do coaches sometimes run up scores? YES, but I don't think people should judge coaches. Even if you are at the games you don't know the players or what happens at practice or what the team's injuries are.
mavs64
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am

mavs64 wrote:I don't think it is right to critize a coach without knowing all the facts. You don't know if the coach that was trying to get that kid a touchdown hadn't try several times before earlier in games and been unsuccessful. It is sometimes hard for people that have those star players that score almost every time they touch the ball to understand what it is like to watch a kid give everything he has every day both at practice and in the game and never have the thrill of getting a touchdown. How many parents have heard their kids say " All I want is one qb sack or one reception " with a tear in their eyes? I wasn't at that game, but as long as the coach told the other coach after the game why he did what he did so the other coach could tell his team so they wouldn't feel bad I think it was ok.

As for the onsides kick late in a game they were up big I don't believe in that either, but there may have been a reason for that too. Was the regular kicker hurt? Sometimes when you put a backup kicker in they miss hit a ball that looks like an onsides kick.

Do coaches sometimes run up scores? YES, but I don't think people should judge coaches. Even if you are at the games you don't know the players or what happens at practice or what the team's injuries are.


If you are far superior in talent where scoring a touchdown would be considered "running up the score" don't you think you could have worked the kid in earlier in the game, say when you were up by 3 td's in the first quarter/half? I also believe that it isn't a coaches job to stop his kids from scoring, if your scoring with your J.V. running the same offense I see nothing wrong with that.
In a game I witnessed this past week I watched a coach call 2 timeouts with under 2 minutes to go before halftime with a 44-6 lead just so his team could score another touchdown to be up 52-6 at halftime. In my opinion that is the ultimate punch in the face to the opposing team/coach.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby justplayalready » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 pm

The Schwab wrote:
mavs64 wrote:I don't think it is right to critize a coach without knowing all the facts. You don't know if the coach that was trying to get that kid a touchdown hadn't try several times before earlier in games and been unsuccessful. It is sometimes hard for people that have those star players that score almost every time they touch the ball to understand what it is like to watch a kid give everything he has every day both at practice and in the game and never have the thrill of getting a touchdown. How many parents have heard their kids say " All I want is one qb sack or one reception " with a tear in their eyes? I wasn't at that game, but as long as the coach told the other coach after the game why he did what he did so the other coach could tell his team so they wouldn't feel bad I think it was ok.

As for the onsides kick late in a game they were up big I don't believe in that either, but there may have been a reason for that too. Was the regular kicker hurt? Sometimes when you put a backup kicker in they miss hit a ball that looks like an onsides kick.

Do coaches sometimes run up scores? YES, but I don't think people should judge coaches. Even if you are at the games you don't know the players or what happens at practice or what the team's injuries are.


If you are far superior in talent where scoring a touchdown would be considered "running up the score" don't you think you could have worked the kid in earlier in the game, say when you were up by 3 td's in the first quarter/half? I also believe that it isn't a coaches job to stop his kids from scoring, if your scoring with your J.V. running the same offense I see nothing wrong with that.
In a game I witnessed this past week I watched a coach call 2 timeouts with under 2 minutes to go before halftime with a 44-6 lead just so his team could score another touchdown to be up 52-6 at halftime. In my opinion that is the ultimate punch in the face to the opposing team/coach.


A lot will depend on the situation and what has occurred so far in the season...with the above example, I witnessed something similar last weekend... A team is up 30 late in first half, by all means game is over. BUT, of the team's previous 7 games, the last 5 were over by the first quarter, you have the "region championship" game next week followed by hopefully a deep playoff run. The down team gets one and you have about 1 minute to half. I think now would be a time to see what you have for a two-minute offense????

The trick for a good coach is to balance out what is good for his team, as the teams season should not be compromised on making the other coach/team feeling good, and knowing when to call off the dogs. I've found that good coaches at this have at one time been on the bad end of these games.
This signature has been removed as dithyramb to winner-within
User avatar
justplayalready
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:05 am

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby mavs64 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:58 pm

What is the magic number anyway? What is considered a safe lead. I have seen a game where a team was up by 4 Td's at halftime put their JV in starting the 3rd quarter only to see the JV give up 3 quick Td's. When they put the varsity back in they were unable to get back into the flow of the game and had some bad bounces of the ball that the other team recovered. They lost the game. That loss later cost them a playoff spot. Some of these same coaches that are being accused of running up the score may have been on the sidelines for games like that and are now more cautious of when the JV goes in. I know of one team that scored 24 points in just 2 1/2 minutes. Games can turn quickly, just ask Dallas.
mavs64
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby theoldman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:14 pm

justplayalready wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
mavs64 wrote:I don't think it is right to critize a coach without knowing all the facts. You don't know if the coach that was trying to get that kid a touchdown hadn't try several times before earlier in games and been unsuccessful. It is sometimes hard for people that have those star players that score almost every time they touch the ball to understand what it is like to watch a kid give everything he has every day both at practice and in the game and never have the thrill of getting a touchdown. How many parents have heard their kids say " All I want is one qb sack or one reception " with a tear in their eyes? I wasn't at that game, but as long as the coach told the other coach after the game why he did what he did so the other coach could tell his team so they wouldn't feel bad I think it was ok.

As for the onsides kick late in a game they were up big I don't believe in that either, but there may have been a reason for that too. Was the regular kicker hurt? Sometimes when you put a backup kicker in they miss hit a ball that looks like an onsides kick.

Do coaches sometimes run up scores? YES, but I don't think people should judge coaches. Even if you are at the games you don't know the players or what happens at practice or what the team's injuries are.


If you are far superior in talent where scoring a touchdown would be considered "running up the score" don't you think you could have worked the kid in earlier in the game, say when you were up by 3 td's in the first quarter/half? I also believe that it isn't a coaches job to stop his kids from scoring, if your scoring with your J.V. running the same offense I see nothing wrong with that.
In a game I witnessed this past week I watched a coach call 2 timeouts with under 2 minutes to go before halftime with a 44-6 lead just so his team could score another touchdown to be up 52-6 at halftime. In my opinion that is the ultimate punch in the face to the opposing team/coach.


A lot will depend on the situation and what has occurred so far in the season...with the above example, I witnessed something similar last weekend... A team is up 30 late in first half, by all means game is over. BUT, of the team's previous 7 games, the last 5 were over by the first quarter, you have the "region championship" game next week followed by hopefully a deep playoff run. The down team gets one and you have about 1 minute to half. I think now would be a time to see what you have for a two-minute offense????

The trick for a good coach is to balance out what is good for his team, as the teams season should not be compromised on making the other coach/team feeling good, and knowing when to call off the dogs. I've found that good coaches at this have at one time been on the bad end of these games.


Just going to say I hate the excuse that a coach wants to see what they have in a 2-minute offense and that is why they score one before the half when they are up big. If your team is vastly superior to another that you are up 30+ before the half they are not going to give you a good look for your 2-minute offense. Chances are that by that time you are going to move the ball no matter what you do because you are playing an inferior team.
theoldman
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby Hinsa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Article in the Hillsboro Banner on September 30, 2011

Gracious Winning Falling From Grace

There used to be a time when it was the gentlemanly thing to do to substitute your second string into a game when you had a game well in hand. Some still follow this unwritten rule of sportsmanship. Others choose to leave their starters in for a variety of reasons. Here are some of those reasons and my response to them. I’ll use football as the sport for this discussion.

Reason one – Starters need four quarters to get into condition for tougher competition.

This reason has some merit. The starters don’t get a full game’s worth of conditioning when the coach sends in the second team early in the second half. However, when the game is 40-0, how hard are those starters playing when they know the game is over?

If the starters need more conditioning, work them harder in practice. The second string doesn’t push the starters hard enough in practice, you say? I would suggest that if your team is good enough to be ahead 40-0 at halftime or shortly after, your second string is better than the other team’s first string and will push the starters harder in practice than four quarters of game action against an inferior opponent.

Reason two – Starters need game time to get sharp and stay sharp in their execution.

This also has some merit. Playing a game against an opponent will sharpen skills in a different way than playing against the second string in practice.

This works for about a half. After a halftime cool-down with the score 40-0, it is extremely difficult for the starters to come out with the type of intensity that is necessary to sharpen skills. Most of the time when the starters play in the second half of blowouts their execution gets sloppier as the game goes on. Bad habits start to creep in because the starters know they can get away with less than perfect execution.

Reason three – It is the responsibility of the team that is getting beat to raise the white flag, give up, and send in their second team first.

Really.

(Insert video clip of John McEnroe screaming “YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS!”)

Since when did sport become war? In war, you do keep fighting until the vanquished foe raises the white flag and surrenders, or until a peace treaty is negotiated at which time both sides stop fighting at the same time.

I could handle a peace treaty in a game where both sides send in the second string at the same time. That would be a good thing – both teams realizing the game is over and peacefully agreeing to turn the game over to the bench.

But stomping on the opposition until they have no choice but to give up and quit? Wouldn’t you think we would try to teach slightly different values of competition in sport than in war?

I was taught all through my playing and coaching career that the sportsmanlike thing to do was to call off the dogs and substitute while the opposition still had a modicum of dignity and pride left. And if the opposition chose to leave their starters in for a while to work against my second team, fine. That made my second team better. Eventually the opposition would substitute as well and everyone goes home friends.

This bit of sportsmanship is being brought into question again as some 9-man football scores in the west suggest that some teams are keeping the engine going full bore until the end. Starters are still scoring touchdowns on long pass plays when the score is 66-12 in the 4th quarter. The above reasons are being tossed about to justify these occurrences.

It was also a point of discussion on the sidelines last week when Cavalier had their starting defense in the game while ahead by 30-plus points in the 4th quarter. I suspect reason one and two above were the motivation for doing so, and like I said, those points have some merit. But I saw in the play of the Cavalier defense in the second half just what I was saying in reason two above – when a team knows the game is won, the intensity level drops and they are not getting any benefit by staying in the game.

Worse yet, it would be extremely troubling if one of those starters were to get hurt at a meaningless point in a game.

A few weeks ago I saw the best of what sport can do – a handshake between competitors that honored each other’s efforts. Unfortunately there is usually a flip side – team’s keeping the pedal to the metal when a game is already won.

Coaches, make good decisions about the values you want to teach.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
User avatar
Hinsa
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 am
Location: THE Red River Valley Conference

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:26 pm

mavs64 wrote:As for the onsides kick late in a game they were up big I don't believe in that either, but there may have been a reason for that too. Was the regular kicker hurt? Sometimes when you put a backup kicker in they miss hit a ball that looks like an onsides kick.

No, this was their regular kicker, the same one who kicked the first one.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby mavs64 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Then that was not right!
mavs64
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 pm

mavs64 wrote:Then that was not right!

Agreed, I'm pretty much over it now. The thing is karma is a you know what and these type of things seem to come back to haunt you. Can't say it will sadden me when these coaches get theirs. Thanks for your perspective.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby vikingman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Suppose you have a very good team (football OR basketball), and are up by a wide margin at half time of almost every game. Is it fair that your starters only get to play half a game just because they are so much better than the other team? Granted, you can call plays that are a bit more conservative (at least in football) , but those players have probably put in more practice time and worked harder in the off-season than others, and to limit them to only half a game doesn't seem right. In the 3rd quarter you can probably rotate a few JVs in amongst varsity players, and by a few minutes in to the 4th quarter it could be exclusively JV. To expect top-notch players to only play 'half a season' isn't fair to them. If NDHSAA decided to cut the football season down to 5 or 6 games everyone would be in opposition, yet essentially that is what a starter would be doing if he had to come out at halftime of every blowout.
vikingman
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby old#63 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 pm

vikingman wrote:Suppose you have a very good team (football OR basketball), and are up by a wide margin at half time of almost every game. Is it fair that your starters only get to play half a game just because they are so much better than the other team? Granted, you can call plays that are a bit more conservative (at least in football) , but those players have probably put in more practice time and worked harder in the off-season than others, and to limit them to only half a game doesn't seem right. In the 3rd quarter you can probably rotate a few JVs in amongst varsity players, and by a few minutes in to the 4th quarter it could be exclusively JV. To expect top-notch players to only play 'half a season' isn't fair to them. If NDHSAA decided to cut the football season down to 5 or 6 games everyone would be in opposition, yet essentially that is what a starter would be doing if he had to come out at halftime of every blowout.

I guess I don't know if kids today feel the same as my teammates and I felt 30 years ago, but... We had a pretty good football team when I was a senior and we outplayed several of our opponents. It was always a goal of ours to see how early in the ball game we could get our coach to pull us out and put in the second string. If we got pulled after the first set of downs in the second half, we knew we had played a heck of ball game. We'd go full power until we got pulled, then we would sit back admire our work. Nothing felt better than that.
old#63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby vball10 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:27 pm

vikingman wrote:Suppose you have a very good team (football OR basketball), and are up by a wide margin at half time of almost every game. Is it fair that your starters only get to play half a game just because they are so much better than the other team? Granted, you can call plays that are a bit more conservative (at least in football) , but those players have probably put in more practice time and worked harder in the off-season than others, and to limit them to only half a game doesn't seem right. In the 3rd quarter you can probably rotate a few JVs in amongst varsity players, and by a few minutes in to the 4th quarter it could be exclusively JV. To expect top-notch players to only play 'half a season' isn't fair to them. If NDHSAA decided to cut the football season down to 5 or 6 games everyone would be in opposition, yet essentially that is what a starter would be doing if he had to come out at halftime of every blowout.


Perfectly said! Slowly rotate them out until it is all 2nd string in towards the end. That way the 2nd string still gets the leadership from the 1st string and the 1st string still gets to play. I hate seeing teams run up the score. Espeically when the points don't matter ater they are up by 17. There is no justification to it. Try and give me any reason you want. NOTHING justifies pounding your opponent into the ground.
vball10
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby golfguynd » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 am

Coaching with class is more than just not running up the score. Yes it's sad to see a team running up the score but it's worse to see players looking to physically beat up the inferior team. Sometimes, the better team is just so much better that anything they do offensively will be a big play. That doesn't bother me as much as seeing the same guys that were scoring TD's now on defense, looking to decapitate 110 lb freshman and sophs. In my experience, class and respect could be shown more on defense by making a fundamental tackle, then help that young player up and give him a pat. I'm not saying let up on defense, but when you watch players on film playing a balanced team and they show you good tackling, not leading with the head or launching themselves at the players, and then against the weak team they are constantly looking to de-cleat players, or ear-hole guys, that is what I hate to see.
golfguynd
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 am

golfguynd wrote:Coaching with class is more than just not running up the score. Yes it's sad to see a team running up the score but it's worse to see players looking to physically beat up the inferior team. Sometimes, the better team is just so much better that anything they do offensively will be a big play. That doesn't bother me as much as seeing the same guys that were scoring TD's now on defense, looking to decapitate 110 lb freshman and sophs. In my experience, class and respect could be shown more on defense by making a fundamental tackle, then help that young player up and give him a pat. I'm not saying let up on defense, but when you watch players on film playing a balanced team and they show you good tackling, not leading with the head or launching themselves at the players, and then against the weak team they are constantly looking to de-cleat players, or ear-hole guys, that is what I hate to see.


This reminds me of a game last year. The difference was we were beating a team handily so we put our backups in pretty early. The other team kicked off and we had about a 120 pound freshman on the second line who got absolutely crushed by the other teams best player, 6'1 200 lbs plus Senior, not a great player but pretty much a full grown man. The hit was probably unneccessary but legal but that isnt what bothered me, because it is football after all. What bothered me was the senior and his coaches laughing and celebrating the big hit in the gym after the game, and this was after their team got beat by 40+.

I think all these examples show that there are all kinds of people out there and we arent going to change how they act, decisions they make, etc. My brother in law summed it up pretty well when he said if that is how people need to get some glory for themselves, let them have it. These things obviously may bother us but people are the way they are and are not bound to change because we dont like something. This thread has been cathartic for me as I am over what occured and will just worry about how I act and decisions I make going forward. Thanks.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby theworldismine1999 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 am

vikingman wrote:Suppose you have a very good team (football OR basketball), and are up by a wide margin at half time of almost every game. Is it fair that your starters only get to play half a game just because they are so much better than the other team? Granted, you can call plays that are a bit more conservative (at least in football) , but those players have probably put in more practice time and worked harder in the off-season than others, and to limit them to only half a game doesn't seem right. In the 3rd quarter you can probably rotate a few JVs in amongst varsity players, and by a few minutes in to the 4th quarter it could be exclusively JV. To expect top-notch players to only play 'half a season' isn't fair to them. If NDHSAA decided to cut the football season down to 5 or 6 games everyone would be in opposition, yet essentially that is what a starter would be doing if he had to come out at halftime of every blowout.

My last year of football on our homecoming game we played a very down team. We were up by 30+ by the end of the first quarter. We went one more time of offense in the second quarter and then put the JV in for the rest of the game. I dont think any senior had a problem with that becasue we were won the game pretty handly. IMO if ur playing a team that is way down and ur up by 50 there is no way the starters are playing another down
User avatar
theworldismine1999
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am

I agree there is coaching with class but every situation is different.

Back in the 80's and early 90's there was the 40 point rule where the game was over in the second half if a team was up by 40.

I was coaching high school football in the late 80's it was the last game of the year we had already secured a playoff spot. The team we played was not a bad team but we knew it was a winnable game for us this same team 40 pointed us a few years earlier. Our plan was to put the pedal to the floor get up by 40 and start preparing for the playoffs.

We did just that, scored on the last play of the first half to go up by 40, game over the opposing coach ripped us a new one, we knew it was comming but got over it in about 15 seconds.

In the same situation I would do it again.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
User avatar
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I agree there is coaching with class but every situation is different.

Back in the 80's and early 90's there was the 40 point rule where the game was over in the second half if a team was up by 40.

I was coaching high school football in the late 80's it was the last game of the year we had already secured a playoff spot. The team we played was not a bad team but we knew it was a winnable game for us this same team 40 pointed us a few years earlier. Our plan was to put the pedal to the floor get up by 40 and start preparing for the playoffs.

We did just that, scored on the last play of the first half to go up by 40, game over the opposing coach ripped us a new one, we knew it was comming but got over it in about 15 seconds.

In the same situation I would do it again.


I dont see anything wrong with this. I don't think this is out of line at all.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I agree there is coaching with class but every situation is different.

Back in the 80's and early 90's there was the 40 point rule where the game was over in the second half if a team was up by 40.

I was coaching high school football in the late 80's it was the last game of the year we had already secured a playoff spot. The team we played was not a bad team but we knew it was a winnable game for us this same team 40 pointed us a few years earlier. Our plan was to put the pedal to the floor get up by 40 and start preparing for the playoffs.

We did just that, scored on the last play of the first half to go up by 40, game over the opposing coach ripped us a new one, we knew it was comming but got over it in about 15 seconds.

In the same situation I would do it again.


I have no problem whatsoever having starters in the first half and the score being 40-0, just call the dogs off from there on out. Rotate JV players in during the 3rd quarter and let the JV play the 4th. One coach in class A from region 4 is not doing that and is a case in point for this thread.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: Coaching with Class

Postby clipguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:44 pm

I find it strange how NDHSAA can figure out how to have mercy rule in football, but will have huge point spreads in basketball with the shot clock. Beach girls will have a hay day.
clipguy
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:43 am

Next

Return to 9 - Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest