Underestimated teams

The teams in 9 Man

Underestimated teams

Postby footballmaniac » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am

AREA PREP FEATURE: North Border football makes 9-man playoffs two years running
Success in the North Border football program came down to taking things personally. Jeff Carpenter was concerned a season ago that his program was slipping into mediocrity. After going 1-8 in the 2009 season, North Border opened 2010 by losing four straight games. But the turnaround was sudden.
By: Greg DeVillers, Grand Forks Herald

Success in the North Border football program came down to taking things personally.

Jeff Carpenter was concerned a season ago that his program was slipping into mediocrity. After going 1-8 in the 2009 season, North Border opened 2010 by losing four straight games.

But the turnaround was sudden. North Border went 7-1 to close last season, finishing with a 7-5 mark. This season the Eagles are off to a 7-1 start, the lone loss a narrow 20-14 margin to unbeaten Cavalier. North Border has clinched a second consecutive berth in the North Dakota 9-man state playoffs.

At the start of last season, “I think everybody was looking at each other and wondering what we had to do to get a win,” running back-linebacker Garret Fraser said. “The coaches could only tell us so much; they couldn’t go out on the field and do things for us. Finally, Mr. Carpenter told us to buy in or buy out to the program.

“After that, practices got a lot more intense. We started riding each other — make the plays now in practice so we wouldn’t be messing things up on Friday nights. We knew losing wasn’t a good feeling. We all got sick of it. And when we finally started winning, we wanted to work harder.”

Losing is an attitude, Fraser said. So is winning. Carpenter had to find a way to develop the latter. He saw ability last season in a roster dominated by non-seniors. Practices didn’t change from when the team was going 1-12. Neither did offensive and defensive game plans.

But intangibles did change.

“This is the least I’ve ever had to deal with a team as far as leadership,” said Carpenter, who is in his 28th season as a head high school football coach. “Last year, these kids figured it out. Their season would only be as good as they made it.

“Kids like Garret, Alek (Berg) and Brett (Schurman), those are great leaders. They’ve set an example to a point where other kids feel like they have to follow.”

Grinding it out

Carpenter has been flexible and willing to adapt his team’s style to the personnel.

For several seasons, the Eagles relied heavily on the passing game. Year in and year out, quarterbacks like Brock Setness, Tanner Carpenter and Richard Dalzell were throwing for more than 1,000 yards.

Now, however, the Eagles run a double wing and grind out yardage.

“We’re pretty basic,” Fraser said. “Everybody knows what we’re going to do. We like to run it at people. We’re not real big. But if our linemen can give us a little gap, we feel we can explode through it.”

The offense has balance. Through the first seven games, Berg paces the rushing game with 514 yards, followed by Fraser (418), Beau Brown (382) and quarterback Tyler Stockton (333). Stockton has completed 20 of 50 passes for 606 yards.

“Running is a better fit for us,” Carpenter said. “Garret, Beau and Alek are all effective runners. They can hit teams with both speed and power. And our running game helps our passing game.

“Tyler is an efficient passer. Next year, we could change our style again. We lose our backs, but we’ll have our quarterback and our receivers all coming back.”

In the meantime, the Eagles are appreciating winning.

“I don’t think I pictured a turnaround this great,” Fraser said. “It’s not something you look for. We were just hoping for a win here or there. You can’t imagine this kind of turnaround.

“You have to pinch yourself sometimes to believe it’s really happened.”

Tags: prep sports, prep football, prep fall sports, sports, updates, football

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
footballmaniac
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Underestimated teams

Postby justplayalready » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:24 pm

They were 0-4 against some good teams...Lost Cavalier, who went deep in 11A last year, North Star, Stephen Argyle, who wins a few games in MN, and one region loss, maybe Hillsboro???

This team should go deep this year, possibly to the final.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Hillsboro wasn't in their region and SA was OK, but not dominant like they have been.

edit: SA was better than I thought last year (8-2)
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Another underestimated 9-man team would be Shiloh Christian out in Region 4. They have never had a season where they've won more than 3 games...this year they are 5-3 and on the verge of making the postseason. Pretty good since they only have about 15 kids out this year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Flip wrote:Hillsboro wasn't in their region and SA was OK, but not dominant like they have been.

edit: SA was better than I thought last year (8-2)

I was wrong, they lost to Thompson in game #4...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:17 pm

North Border is a solid team but they will have a tough matchup playing lamoure first round then Wyndmere or Napoleon game 2. I dont see them winning in the 2nd round. Cavalier will have their hands full with South Border in the first round too. South Border is a dangerous 4 seed.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:22 pm

bballfan7 wrote:North Border is a solid team but they will have a tough matchup playing lamoure first round then Wyndmere or Napoleon game 2. I dont see them winning in the 2nd round. Cavalier will have their hands full with South Border in the first round too. South Border is a dangerous 4 seed.

I would say that the #4 seeds are going to be better than the past with the new regions. Might be some blow outs but you might be seeing more so called upsets.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 pm

bballfan7 wrote:North Border is a solid team but they will have a tough matchup playing lamoure first round then Wyndmere or Napoleon game 2. I dont see them winning in the 2nd round. Cavalier will have their hands full with South Border in the first round too. South Border is a dangerous 4 seed.

There will be some really good teams eliminated by the 2nd round, considering the 2nd round is now the quarterfinals.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:

I would say that the #4 seeds are going to be better than the past with the new regions. Might be some blow outs but you might be seeing more so called upsets.

I think that may be true in the east...The west #4's will be pretty weak. I also think the Region 2's 3 and 4 will give R1's top two good games...

N Border needs to win Friday as 2-4 seeds are up in the air, with NB, NRS, Hillsboro and LAE still in the mix.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby theworldismine1999 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:48 pm

If they even get to the second round
theworldismine1999
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Another underestimated 9-man team would be Shiloh Christian out in Region 4. They have never had a season where they've won more than 3 games...this year they are 5-3 and on the verge of making the postseason. Pretty good since they only have about 15 kids out this year.

I would say both of the teams playing in Bismarck this friday night (Shiloh Christian and Hettinger/Scranton) could both be considered underestimated. One of these teams will be making the playoffs this year and neither were givin much chance at the begining of the year (The injury to Hardy from Beach opened up that last playoff spot.)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:39 pm

With all due respect to Shiloh Christian, if they didnt change Regions this year, they would probably not be on the verge of making the playoffs. I can name 4 teams NOT making the playoffs in Region 1 who would probably beat them (EK,SC,Richland,Hankinson). Congrats on a good season but the best thing that happened to them was getting moved out of Region 1.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby theman60 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm

EHS1998 wrote:With all due respect to Shiloh Christian, if they didnt change Regions this year, they would probably not be on the verge of making the playoffs. I can name 4 teams NOT making the playoffs in Region 1 who would probably beat them (EK,SC,Richland,Hankinson). Congrats on a good season but the best thing that happened to them was getting moved out of Region 1.

Amen!
theman60
NDPreps Rookie

Postby AC-DC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:10 am

The Schwab wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Another underestimated 9-man team would be Shiloh Christian out in Region 4. They have never had a season where they've won more than 3 games...this year they are 5-3 and on the verge of making the postseason. Pretty good since they only have about 15 kids out this year.

I would say both of the teams playing in Bismarck this friday night (Shiloh Christian and Hettinger/Scranton) could both be considered underestimated. One of these teams will be making the playoffs this year and neither were givin much chance at the begining of the year (The injury to Hardy from Beach opened up that last playoff spot.)

... and will get blown-out in round 1.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:13 am

AC-DC wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Doesn't matter...making the playoffs is a big deal...especially for a program that usually isn't very good.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby DCFan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
AC-DC wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Doesn't matter...making the playoffs is a big deal...especially for a program that usually isn't very good.

I agree playoffs are a big deal and having a do or die game on the last day of the season will bring a playoff atmosphere to this game. Biggest game of the year for both teams. Good Luck!
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:40 am

Agreed. It's great for the program. Good for them!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

AC-DC wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Not sure if that was really called for or not. Kind of a low blow if you ask me
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 am

The Schwab wrote:
AC-DC wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Not sure if that was really called for or not. Kind of a low blow if you ask me

some people need to run other teams down to make them feel better about their team or region or themselves i guess.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

I dont think (or at least I hope they arent) people are trying to run others down, but I can see some teams who arent going to make the playoffs in one region be frustrated that teams who they are clearly better than are just because they play in a less competitive Region. Who wouldnt that frustrate? Now that doesnt mean we need to take away from them, but I also dont think you can ignore the obvious.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I dont think (or at least I hope they arent) people are trying to run others down, but I can see some teams who arent going to make the playoffs in one region be frustrated that teams who they are clearly better than are just because they play in a less competitive Region. Who wouldnt that frustrate? Now that doesnt mean we need to take away from them, but I also dont think you can ignore the obvious.

Maybe, but nobody in region 1 has played anybody in region 4 and won't. so we really do not know, as was stated before they got a break by beach losing a kid and maybe they got better ever think of that? Let them have their day without running them into the ground. Yes you can state that they didn't do well in the past without the rest.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:33 pm

I am not running them into the ground. I congratulate them on their success and wish them the best of luck tomorrow night. Stop trying to victimize them.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 pm

I understand EHS that you have probably seen Shiloh play more than I have the past few years, but from what I have gathered about them this year is that they are dramatically improved and their coach has that program going in the right direction. I am not arguing the fact that Region 1 is very good top to bottom, but I believe that Shiloh would play with just about every team in that region (except for the top 3). Just my two cents, lord knows I'm more of a basketball guy anyways ;)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:18 pm

The Schwab wrote:I understand EHS that you have probably seen Shiloh play more than I have the past few years, but from what I have gathered about them this year is that they are dramatically improved and their coach has that program going in the right direction. I am not arguing the fact that Region 1 is very good top to bottom, but I believe that Shiloh would play with just about every team in that region (except for the top 3). Just my two cents, lord knows I'm more of a basketball guy anyways ;)

Schwab - Always great to hear from you. I was basing my statement on the teams I have seen play in Region 1 this year and what I knew of Shiloh returning. If Shiloh could play with them now, great. I love seeing programs move in the right direction. Being a Bismarck based private school should have significant inherent advantages that hopefully they can leverage going forward.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby nordstde » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Maybe the pollsters can find a way to scribble Divide County into the Top 5 after tonight. It really doesn't matter though, the polls are a joke. And they are used to being overlooked almost every year. Divide County is the defenition of UNDERESTIMATED this year.
nordstde
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to 9 - Man