Dakota Bowl

The teams in 9 Man

Dakota Bowl

Postby Blackheart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Does anyone have a link to the championship games scheduled for this year? I did not see anything detailed on the Fargodome website last week. Someone told me that the 9 Man final would be played in the morning??
Blackheart
NDPreps Starter

Re: Dakota Bowl

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bballchick » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Talk about a coach's nightmare. How do you have a team ready to play at 9 a.m.? Would love to hear feedback from coaches that have been there, done that and been successful.
bballchick
NDPreps Starter

Postby waterboy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

This is bull crap, just like the Minnesota Prep Bowl? If the Fargo Dome can't accommodate move it to the Alerus and keep it there.
waterboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Blackheart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Wow! Hard to believe they can't do more of these games in 'prime' time. Have they ever considered splitting the games up and playing half on Friday and half on Saturday? I suppose it depends on the Bison fb schedule as well. Probably tough to get a good crowd as well at 9am on a Friday.

Thanks for the info.
Blackheart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Blackheart wrote:Wow! Hard to believe they can't do more of these games in 'prime' time. Have they ever considered splitting the games up and playing half on Friday and half on Saturday? I suppose it depends on the Bison fb schedule as well. Probably tough to get a good crowd as well at 9am on a Friday.

Thanks for the info.

That's why it's all on Friday. It was Frago's turn to host and NDSU has a home game that Saturday.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Blackheart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Got it, thanks.
Blackheart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 pm

bballchick wrote:Talk about a coach's nightmare. How do you have a team ready to play at 9 a.m.? Would love to hear feedback from coaches that have been there, done that and been successful.

Stephen-Argyle had some success playing in the early games. One thing that helped them was they have morning practices all season long. I believe they start at 5:30.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 pm

exactly!! act as if ...and eventually it will be implicated into the mind
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 am

I had the good fortune to play in a state title game and even though it was an evening game I know for a fact I was awake early enough that day that I would have been ready to go at 9:00AM if that was what time kickoff was scheduled for. I agree that it is not an ideal situation to be playing the biggest game of the year at 9:00AM, but this will be one of, if not the biggest event in some of these kids' athletic careers and I don't think that the time of day that it takes place is going to prevent them from going out and having the time of their lives or playing a whale of a ball game.

With that said... I would love to see the response that would come if they tried to schedule the "AAA" game for 9:00AM. I hope that if this situation comes up again next year or anytime down the line that they rotate the divisions so everyone gets a turn at the 9:00am time slot.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:10 am

Wombat wrote:I had the good fortune to play in a state title game and even though it was an evening game I know for a fact I was awake early enough that day that I would have been ready to go at 9:00AM if that was what time kickoff was scheduled for. I agree that it is not an ideal situation to be playing the biggest game of the year at 9:00AM, but this will be one of, if not the biggest event in some of these kids' athletic careers and I don't think that the time of day that it takes place is going to prevent them from going out and having the time of their lives or playing a whale of a ball game.

With that said... I would love to see the response that would come if they tried to schedule the "AAA" game for 9:00AM. I hope that if this situation comes up again next year or anytime down the line that they rotate the divisions so everyone gets a turn at the 9:00am time slot.

Its doubtful that they would ever schedule that AAA title game in the early morning...I have a feeling they would rotate the 9-man division and the A division in that time slot...but hopefully this scheduling conlict doesn't happen again.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:00 am

I don't understand why they don't schedule them for noon, 3, 6, and 9pm. 9pm may be a bit late and not on prime time, but you'll still get the same number of viewers and probably more than at 9am. Or even 11, 2, 5, and 8 is better than starting that early.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scramblinfran » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 am

I agree that they could start later than 9 and still get all 4 games in easily. Also I think it is ridiculous that they don't rotate the classes through the time slots. Split it into 2 days or 2 locations if you have to, but to always saddle the small schools with the breakfast bowl isn't right.
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 am

I've been told by a pretty good source that NDHSAA wanted to set the times later on, but KVLY was not interested in negotiating time slots. I do agree that it would struggle to play the biggest game of your life at 9 A.M., but in all honesty if I had the opportunity to play in a game like that, I would play it in the middle of the night in a parking lot if given the chance.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scramblinfran » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Agreed, if given the chance I would play this game any time - any place. But shouldn't that same sentiment hold true for the AAA teams as well. If the slots were rotated and my team made it there the year we were slated for the early game - so be it. I just don't think it's right to always stick it to the 9-man teams and give them that time.
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 pm

TV runs the NDHSAA. That's why the small schools get screwed. They want the biggest markets in prime time. They want Bismarck and Fargo on in the evening, so the small schools will never get their due. It's useless to ask for a rotation to make the one-day format work. You will never get what you want. Better to work on two days.

9-man will never be on at 7 p.m. on a Friday night. Guaranteed.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby footballchicken » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Nor should 9 man be on at 7pm - everyone from the 9 man towns actually GO to the game anyway - no one from AAA schools go to the games.

9man deserves respect, yes, but they dont need primetime TV because the small towns shut down anyway for the big game.
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 pm

footballchicken wrote:Nor should 9 man be on at 7pm - everyone from the 9 man towns actually GO to the game anyway - no one from AAA schools go to the games.

9man deserves respect, yes, but they dont need primetime TV because the small towns shut down anyway for the big game.

That's true for the teams involved, but most of the other people in 9man towns are going to stay home and watch it on TV.

I would argue that there are more people across the state interested in watching the 9man and A games than the other two divisions. I think they would have more viewers if those two games were later because there aren't a ton of people in Fargo and Bismarck that are going to watch the AAA or AA games. But, the sponsorships come from Bismarck, Fargo, etc. and they want their ads to run on primetime to their market base I'm sure and that drives the scheduling more than anything.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:55 pm

heimer wrote:TV runs the NDHSAA. That's why the small schools get screwed. They want the biggest markets in prime time. They want Bismarck and Fargo on in the evening, so the small schools will never get their due. It's useless to ask for a rotation to make the one-day format work. You will never get what you want. Better to work on two days.

again...I hate to say it but I agree with you. I wish it wasn't that way...but that's how it goes here in ND & MN
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:again...I hate to say it but I agree with you. I wish it wasn't that way...but that's how it goes here in every state

fyp
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:40 pm

heimer wrote:TV runs the NDHSAA. That's why the small schools get screwed. They want the biggest markets in prime time. They want Bismarck and Fargo on in the evening, so the small schools will never get their due. It's useless to ask for a rotation to make the one-day format work. You will never get what you want. Better to work on two days.

100% correct.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:again...I hate to say it but I agree with you. I wish it wasn't that way...but that's how it goes here in every state

fyp

are we sure this happens in EVERY STATE? I only listed ND & MN because I knew that for a fact.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to 9 - Man