Big Teams Vs: Fast Teams

The teams in 9 Man

Big Teams Vs: Fast Teams

Postby MustaBeen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Who do you think has the upper hand in a head-to-head battle. the quick or the big.

And List Some Fast and Small & the the Big and Slow
MustaBeen
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Big Teams Vs: Fast Teams

Postby mavs64 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:29 pm

I would rather have a fast but small team over a big slow team. Most times by the time the big guys get out of their stance the quick guys are by them. Also with those really big guys they tend to wear out quicker. Now the Big but fast guys are another story entirely.
mavs64
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 am

It really depends, a big team needs some speed on defense, in 9-man especially!

A big team can play for 3 yards a carry and keep the speedy offense off the field. A speedy team and score on any play.

Back in the fall of 1990 Northwood had a great 9-man team, a good athletic good size line and a big stud tailback by the name Shad Thorstenson, who ended up playing fullback at UND. A very athletic QB and a solid defense.

Northwood waxed everyone during the regular season it was like men against boys. I went and watched them play Wyndmere in the playoffs, This was not one of Wyndmere's power house teams of that era, they were small athletic and quick.

Those little guys came up and chopped Thorstenson down at the knees on every play I bet he did not have 50 yards in the game. The smalll fast team whipped a much bigger and more physical team.

This thread reminded me of that match up 21 years ago.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

MustaBeen wrote:Who do you think has the upper hand in a head-to-head battle. the quick or the big.

And List Some Fast and Small & the the Big and Slow

Whos Playing?? throw out a couple of teams
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDFan09 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Give me the fast team every time. You can teach blocking & tackling to any size player. Speed is either there or it ain't. Some of the Mott teams of the past decade come to mind. They had what I would consider to be smaller lines, but they worked well as a unit & allowed their speed guys to make plays.
NDFan09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby footballchicken » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Obviously one needs strength to sustain blocks and to tackle - but when it comes down to it, in ND 9 man , SPEED wins
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby MustaBeen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Who do you say the top Speed Team, and the top Size teams are in each Region?
MustaBeen
NDPreps Reserve

Return to 9 - Man