The teams in Class A

Oakes

Postby footballchicken » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm

What happened? Anyone...
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Re: Oakes

Postby 1stTrack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

footballchicken wrote:What happened? Anyone...

This past year? Easy games first, hard games later in season.. Also Tanner Zetocha broke his leg
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
1stTrack
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Did the coaches who were non-renewed get the ax for coaching only only or is it for teaching too?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I think the boards action was with respect to coaching only but that is not confirmed. I am not a huge Sagert fan but your heart has to go out to both gentlemen, no one likes to see someone lose their job.

I found this on newsdakota.com. Doesnt give a lot of info but does speak to the topic.

Two Oakes Coaches Let Go By School Board
NewsDakota.com

Friday March 11

A pair of coaches at the Oakes High School were dealt a shocking blow on Tuesday afternoon after the school board met and decided to not renew their contracts for next year.

Head football coach Shawn Sagert finished his 6th season with the Tornadoes with a 3-5 record, and overall a 34-22 record.

Head girls basketball coach Mark Quenette also did not get a renewed contract. The Tornado girls team finished 3rd in the district tourney, where he was named District 1 Coach of the Year. Oakes was eliminated in the first round of the Region 1 tourney by Enderlin and finished with an 18-5 record on the year.

No prospects for the positions have been announced and nobody has been made available for comment right away. We will continue to have more as the story becomes available.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 pm

That was were I got my info as well, but it seems very strange to non-renew to coaching positions that have seen progress over their tenure. Hope Oakes doesn't go back to the bar owner.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:That was were I got my info as well, but it seems very strange to non-renew to coaching positions that have seen progress over their tenure. Hope Oakes doesn't go back to the bar owner.

Pretty sure they have a better plan than that.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:09 am

Article indicates no plan.

And if they don't have teaching openings finding a coach could be difficult. They have had some very dedicated youth coaches and a couple of guys on staff that are good people (Dobitz). But good luck finding assistants.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rudy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 am

No Reason From Oakes School Board
By Wade Fossum NewsDakota.com

March 16

No reason needs to be given, and we will probably not get a reason from the Oakes School Board on the decision to not renew head coaching contracts of Shawn Sagert for football and Mark Quenette for girls basketball. The motion, second, and vote all took place in just under one minute of the school board meeting on Tuesday March 8. There was no discussion on the subject.

Art Conklin, Superintendent of Oakes Public School, was a guest on "Midweek Focus" Wednesday morning and answered some procedural and policy issues of the school board. Mr. Conklin is not part of the board but does attend meetings and will act in an advisory position if asked or needed.

After the conversation it still leaves a community still wondering why, but realizing we will probably never know why. The board did not have any, nor have they had any formal written complaints on either coach that required discussion or meetings by the board. Mr. Conklin stated that they did have a meeting after some verbal complaints last year with Mark Quenette, and thought that he may have not been renewed for the past season. The board obviously gave him another year as head coach, but decided to end his reign as coach.

According to policy and rules, the board is allowed to discuss issues outside of the meeting as long as 3 or more are not present at one time as then it would become a public forum and would need to be documented. When asked if the speed on which it happened and with no discussion taking place, if it was predetermined or "set up", Mr. Conklin's response was "I don't know how much discussion took place prior to but I do know some happened obviously."

Both coaches have the right to request a meeting with the school board, and as long as the contract is not offered, the school board can vote 3-2 to reverse the decision and offer one or both of them the contract again. But as it looks and is right now, the decision is done and the board will be moving on.
rudy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

This absolutely smells.

Was this non-renewal on the school board agenda and published? Does anybody know?

And for there to be no discussion at the actual meeting, you know darn well the board discussed it outside of the meeting. They must have kept their discussion to groups of 2 or something to not violate the public meeting rules. But they absolutely, positively had to have discussed this pretty thoroughly to pass it so quickly at the board meeting.

No matter what the people of Oakes think of the 2 coaches, they need to call the board into question on how they dealt with this because it sets a dangerous precedent of how things may be handled in the future, and it just might bite the community in the backside!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballchicken » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

So true -

Who in the heck is going to want to coach in Oakes after this mess..........?
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby mjwanab » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 am

I am somewhat in the know here. I have voiced my opinion and will again. Others within the community have as well, but everything falls on deaf ears. For those that don't recognize the login name, I am Wade Fossum. I work for KDDR radio here in Oakes. I wrote the first two articles for our website, http://www.newsdakota.com. I have followed Oakes athletics, being a graduat of Oakes High School, and now am following even closer as a sports broadcaster. I deal with all of our coaches almost daily. I deal with our school on a full time basis. I know the coaches outside of sports as well. There are events that have taken place that have led up to this, not to the fault of the coaches. I am disgusted by our boards decision AND the way about which it has been done. It is hard to be in such a position as myself, I know what is going on, and by that I mean I can read between the lines. This is a shame, must we be forced to deal with this because we love our small town community? That a person can run their personal agenda through a school board? Not a day goes by that I, nor anybody I talk to for that matter doesn't question what the heck the school board is doing. Yet they, and I shouldn't even say they, it is HE that says their are more in the community that are for it than against it. Yet when I talk to even the random Joe on the street that doesn't have a kid in school, or they do have a kid in school, it doesn't matter, I haven't heard a single person say, "Yeah, it is probably for the best." We have what many here would consider a "lame duck" board, and our very own president, had the guts to tell one of the coaches in question, that they are tired of being on the board and can't wait til June when they can be done with it. Oh, thanks Mrs. President of our school board, how about the guy that has only been in our community for a year, maybe a little over, that got convinced BEFORE the board meeting to second this motion. Or how about the other 2 that are too scared to stick up for what is right and discuss it because they are afraid of confrontation. GET OFF THE BOARD! RESIGN!! Wait until you all hear what is in store. I see the path that has been taken, and when it comes out, I will give you all the "rest of the story."

And on that, the school board WILL NOT grant a public meeting. The last update is that Shawn Sagert got a meeting with ONE board member with the superintendent and athletic director sitting in. The board member, before the meeting started, informed him that was all he was gonna get.
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:45 am

I would like to throw in the obvious here.

Nobody gets let go for no reason, personal agenda or not these coaches peeved sombody would'nt you agree?

There are a lot of bad coaches out there who have winning records, they simply ride the talent train then blame a losing record on the kids. Or drastically under achieve with talent another coach could have take much farther.

Of course you can't get much closer to a program than Wade Fossum, but from the outside looking in It's obvious that these coaches did something that did not sit well with someone.

Oakes puts a premium winning good for them. It's tough to be a coach in a community that has high expectations.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rudy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I would like to throw in the obvious here.

Nobody gets let go for no reason, personal agenda or not these coaches peeved sombody would'nt you agree?

There are a lot of bad coaches out there who have winning records, they simply ride the talent train then blame a losing record on the kids. Or drastically under achieve with talent another coach could have take much farther.

Of course you can't get much closer to a program than Wade Fossum, but from the outside looking in It's obvious that these coaches did something that did not sit well with someone.

Oakes puts a premium winning good for them. It's tough to be a coach in a community that has high expectations.

Really, is that why they where 16-61 the previous nine seasons before Sagert took over, the premium was pretty high those years.

34- 21
2010 3-5
2009 8-2 Won Home Playoff Game Vs. Rugby, Lost Quarterfinals to Langdon
2008 9-2 Won Home Playoff Game Vs. Northern Cass, Won at Dakota Prairie, Lost Quarterfinals to Hillsboro
2007 5-4 Lost First Round to W/L
2006 4-4
2005 5-4

16- 61
2004 0-9
2003 1-8
2002 4-4 Lost First Round Class A Playoffs
2001 4-6 Lost in Playoffs
2000 1-8
1999 2-6
1998 4-4
1997 0-8
1996 0-8
rudy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 am

OK maybe it's not wins and losses, But I promise you the canned coaches in Oakes had to have done something to ruffle feathers.

Maybe the school board is doing them a favor not dragging their name through the mud who knows.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Mjwanab - I look forward to hearing the rest of the story when it can be revealed.

No one person on the board should be able to have the power to hire and fire like it sounds like in this case. Lame duck board or not, grow a pair and do the right thing!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby willis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:OK maybe it's not wins and losses, But I promise you the canned coaches in Oakes had to have done something to ruffle feathers.

Maybe the school board is doing them a favor not dragging their name through the mud who knows.

The only thing that the coaches would have done to ruffle feathers, is for them not to play their kids on the team as an active player.
willis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby footballchicken » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm

I see the President of the School Board's last name also shows up on football and girls basketball rosters....? Son and daughter maybe???

Sad
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby willis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm

footballchicken wrote:I see the President of the School Board's last name also shows up on football and girls basketball rosters....? Son and daughter maybe???

Sad

possible, what is the name? there are also the "important" families in oakes, that have th big name, that seem to have quite a bit of say on what happens in the school, and those without the last name, are left in the dust.
willis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mjwanab » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 pm

A son yes, but not a daughter, their daughter graduated last year.
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby willis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:That was were I got my info as well, but it seems very strange to non-renew to coaching positions that have seen progress over their tenure. Hope Oakes doesn't go back to the bar owner.

That bar owner is now coaching in lamoure, and from what i know, and correct me if i'm wrong, but he is being semi-successful over there.
willis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rkmt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:29 pm

willis wrote:

That bar owner is now coaching in lamoure, and from what i know, and correct me if i'm wrong, but he is being semi-successful over there.

Yes, he is in LaMoure as an Assistant. I wasn't in this area when he was a head coach in Oakes so I don't know anything about that. He does a good job as an assistant. some people are better in that role.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Greg Dobitz named new head coach. I think he will do a great job.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby I watch I learn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 pm

To start this is my first time on in years. I see that this was once a popular subject. On another topic, i believe it was the region prediction one, where people were wishing Oakes a bad season. This bothers me tremendously. A comment was made that the community should of not let this happen. Now you can hear from the community.....

Im glad a coaching change was made. It was needed. I watched and played during these last handful of years. Oakes knew what they were doing. Sure maybe its mean how he was let go. However does anyone follow sports anymore? It's a competitive market for football coaches. If you have a better assistant why keep someone around who is causing problems.

For the people who doubted the Oakes community- Were you in OHS halls? Did you see the disrespect at practice? Or how Oakes best athletes threatened every year to not play because of the way things were handled?

Pull out the numbers again saying how one coach turned the program around. I would think men like Mr. Miller and Mr Voegeli got those boys united in Pee wees. The athletes were in place for great things to happen, and nothing did. Well coached? How does a JH football team go from years with one total loss to losing jv games to Ellendale 69-0? Because all of those athletes digressed. took three years for a strong crew of seniors and a talented jason hagen to make Oakes football look decent. Remember that Oakes has won 3 straight wrestling titles.... BTW Oakes was predicted to have a down year this season.... but seems like they have a new respect for the coach, a new attitude, and are suprising people.
I watch I learn
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 am

Well said. I continue to root for Oakes in football and hope they go far into the playoffs. I think this is one of the better Oakes "teams" in some time.

(BTW and completely off point - The Ellendale vs Oakes "rivalry" notion is truly ridiculous these days. We are in separate divisions for football and different districts and regions for VB and BB. The Cowbell is one game a year and has no bearing on either teams playoff chances. Yet, there continues to be animosity between the two towns, I just dont get it.)
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby I watch I learn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:28 am

hope my comment on the 69-0 didn't spark this, didn't mean any disrespect to you, 69-0 is a disgrace no matter who it is. Anyways, In the sports I played in OHS, we liked the EE wrestlers and respected the football/ wrestlers alot. Some older gentleman in Oakes still think back to the olden days when you had to hate who you play... sadly it still happens. I respect coach Hack, and felt odd when our football coach would blast him. With that being said, their are good people in Oakes too, I know Rich Voegeli still loves the people in the ellendale community, and only says positive things when he covers their wrestling, and the wrestling family has always been sportsmen towards EE wrestling.
I watch I learn
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to A