NDHSAA changes for 2011 season?

The teams in Class A

NDHSAA changes for 2011 season?

Postby old#63 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Anybody checked out the reallignment for the 2011 football season.

Rugby and Griggs Co/M/BCN both move up from A to AA 11 man.

Bottineau drops from AA to A 11 man.

Steele-Dawson/Tap/Strlg, Drayton/ST/Valley/Edin, Westhope/Nwbg/Glnbrn, and Richardton-Taylor/Hebron all move from 9 man up to 11 man A.

Lamoure/L-M, Cavalier, and Bowman all drop from 11 man A to 9 man.

Thoughts?????
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Re: NDHSAA changes for 2011 season?

Postby bballfan7 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 pm

old#63 wrote:Anybody checked out the reallignment for the 2011 football season.

Rugby and Griggs Co/M/BCN both move up from A to AA 11 man.

Bottineau drops from AA to A 11 man.

Steele-Dawson/Tap/Strlg, Drayton/ST/Valley/Edin, Westhope/Nwbg/Glnbrn, and Richardton-Taylor/Hebron all move from 9 man up to 11 man A.

Lamoure/L-M, Cavalier, and Bowman all drop from 11 man A to 9 man.

Thoughts?????

I thought Bowman had one of the larger enrollments of any "Class B" School?
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri May 07, 2010 9:48 pm

They had Scranton with them and that bumped up their enrollment. Scranton will be going with Hettinger in the next realignment.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:08 am

I'm from the NE, and this is messed up.

The big one is Cavalier dropping to 9 man. They are a traditional powerhouse in 11 A, and even won state championships when they played up into 11 AA a few years ago. Great program and should stay 11man.

Also Drayton/ST/Valley/Edin moving up to 11A from 9man. Edinburg joined the D/ST/V COOP when Valley and Edin. consolidated their school district. This puts the boys enrollment above others and forces them up into 11man. Not a strong program and sometimes have played freshmen just to make a 9 man team. Going 11man is not what they should be doing.

In the NE Cavalier should stay 11A, and D/ST/V/E should stay 9 man.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat May 08, 2010 10:59 am

I think there will be a little adjusting before this plan goes final. I can see some schools looking more closely at their co-ops after knowing where they sit with their enrollments. I do agree that Cav should opt up just like Velva and Harvey did.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby jimthometwins » Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Old #63 --You should look at the numbers before you make a call on Cavalier -- one of the smaller enrollments in 11 man and no coop. Think about it.. It's about the future not about the past.
jimthometwins
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Sun May 09, 2010 11:48 pm

I can't picture Griggs-Barnes County playing Devils Lake and Fargo Shanley. That is a bad move up, I understand the numbers in the school, but both teams haven't won more than 3 games a year when they were by themselves and last year what did they win 2 or 3? That's a terrible team to move up.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 am

jimthometwins wrote:Old #63 --You should look at the numbers before you make a call on Cavalier -- one of the smaller enrollments in 11 man and no coop. Think about it.. It's about the future not about the past.

Velva is smaller than Cav and opted up
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:09 am

jimthometwins wrote:Old #63 --You should look at the numbers before you make a call on Cavalier -- one of the smaller enrollments in 11 man and no coop. Think about it.. It's about the future not about the past.

I know if Cavalier stays in 11A they are one of the smallest, but if they go to 9man they are the largest? Based on their football tradition, history, and traditional rivalries, I feel that staying in 11A is still the option that fits this team. They performed well in the division last year (7-2 I think) and until they show signs that they just are no longer up to the challenge, 11A is where they belong. At least for now.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 am

pakkyzoo wrote:I can't picture Griggs-Barnes County playing Devils Lake and Fargo Shanley. That is a bad move up, I understand the numbers in the school, but both teams haven't won more than 3 games a year when they were by themselves and last year what did they win 2 or 3? That's a terrible team to move up.

With the addition of Minnewauken, Devils Lake would be AAA. They would be in the East vs. the 4 Fargo's and 2 GF teams.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 am

Actually I think they bumped AAA up to 14 teams again and that's why DL got moved up.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Actually I think they bumped AAA up to 14 teams again and that's why DL got moved up.

You're right. AAA is now 14 teams, AA is 16, A is 32, and everyone else is 9 man. If you want to play up a division, you have to find a team that will play down. That way AAA, AA, and A always have that number of teams.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:54 pm

old#63 wrote:I'm from the NE, and this is messed up.

The big one is Cavalier dropping to 9 man. They are a traditional powerhouse in 11 A, and even won state championships when they played up into 11 AA a few years ago. Great program and should stay 11man.

Also Drayton/ST/Valley/Edin moving up to 11A from 9man. Edinburg joined the D/ST/V COOP when Valley and Edin. consolidated their school district. This puts the boys enrollment above others and forces them up into 11man. Not a strong program and sometimes have played freshmen just to make a 9 man team. Going 11man is not what they should be doing.

In the NE Cavalier should stay 11A, and D/ST/V/E should stay 9 man.

Looks like it will be Drayton/Valley/Edinburg in 2011 and they will be staying in 9 man. St Thomas has decided to pull out of the coop and join with Grafton. Grafton (plus ST) will stay in 11AA, and D/V/E will stay 9 man. I don't know if this makes Cavalier eligible to stay in 11A or not.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat May 22, 2010 10:13 am

Found this in the NDHSAA minutes from the April 20th meeting. Don't exactly understand why it was denied.

Moe presented on behalf of the Football Committee a petition from Cavalier to move from 9-
man division to 11-man. The committee recommends the Board deny the request. Motion by
Ulland to deny. Second by Moe. A roll call vote was taken: Moe – yes, Helvik – yes, Eastgate –
yes, Ulland – yes, Looysen – yes, Sanstead – yes, Maus – yes, Ranum – yes, Jacobson – yes,
Schatz – yes. Motion carried unanimously.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 am

I'm not sure why they denied it either. I heard something about a team not being able to move up unless the lowest enrollment team in the region that they wanted to move up into was willing to move down. That way the regions all have the correct number of members. But I don't know if that is true or not.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat May 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Yeah I know a team cannot move up unless another team is willing to move down, but you'd think D/ST/V/E would have elected to stay 9man even before ST left the coop. Now that D/V/E will be 9man, does that mean Cavalier will go back up to 11man?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:38 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Yeah I know a team cannot move up unless another team is willing to move down, but you'd think D/ST/V/E would have elected to stay 9man even before ST left the coop. Now that D/V/E will be 9man, does that mean Cavalier will go back up to 11man?

That would have been my thought as well. Do you know if the NDHSAA denied D/ST/V/E moving down to 9 man? Is that the reason ST pulled out? I can't really see a reason for ST to go to Grafton unless that is it. Anyone out there know the whole story?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I also notice with these changes that Harvey will be moved back into the east and that Watford City will take their place in Region 3. It will make for some distance traveling back and forth to Velva and vice versa for regular season games between those two. I assume that the west regions are split north and south... Hazen would be a closer drive for most of those games but the attendance will be awesome for those big regional games. Either way you split it up region three still looks to be the toughest region. Harvey will help toughen the east up a little so it could be interesting.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Below was taken from the minutes of the last NDHSAA meeting. I really don't understand why they will not let Cavalier play 11man. Looks like they denied their first request, then Cavalier didn't get their second request in by the deadline and the board won't change their decision. Where's the common sense here? You've got a team that has played 11man the entire time (even AA champions) and wants to stay that way even tho their enrollment qualifies them for 9man. But yet they are moving up teams that have always been 9man and probably won't be able to compete numbers wise in 11man.

The Board held audience with Supt. Frank Schill of Cavalier asking the Board to reconsider the decision which placed Cavalier from 11A to 9-man classification for football. They were placed in 9-man because they missed the deadline to request a move to Division A football. A letter of request which had previously been submitted was denied. Motion by Sanstead to rescind the original motion from the April meeting. Second by Helvik. Aroll call vote was taken: Swiontek – no, Looysen – yes, Ranum – yes, Ulland – no, Jacobson – no, Maus – no,Eastgate – no, Sanstead – yes, Moe – no, Helvik – yes, Schatz – yes. Motion to rescind failed, 5-6.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:59 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Below was taken from the minutes of the last NDHSAA meeting. I really don't understand why they will not let Cavalier play 11man. Looks like they denied their first request, then Cavalier didn't get their second request in by the deadline and the board won't change their decision. Where's the common sense here? You've got a team that has played 11man the entire time (even AA champions) and wants to stay that way even tho their enrollment qualifies them for 9man. But yet they are moving up teams that have always been 9man and probably won't be able to compete numbers wise in 11man.

The Board held audience with Supt. Frank Schill of Cavalier asking the Board to reconsider the decision which placed Cavalier from 11A to 9-man classification for football. They were placed in 9-man because they missed the deadline to request a move to Division A football. A letter of request which had previously been submitted was denied. Motion by Sanstead to rescind the original motion from the April meeting. Second by Helvik. Aroll call vote was taken: Swiontek – no, Looysen – yes, Ranum – yes, Ulland – no, Jacobson – no, Maus – no,Eastgate – no, Sanstead – yes, Moe – no, Helvik – yes, Schatz – yes. Motion to rescind failed, 5-6.

interesting that the Board had no compassion or lets say tolerance after what Cavalier has given the sport of Football...thank God for Boards huh?....I look at it this way....Tornadoes will have a huge year going out of A...and the momentum along with thier dedication and tradition should propel them into contention at 9-man for the 2011 season...I personally dont think they stay at 9-man to long....they are already Joined with NB with Wrestling and if they were to do this in Football they would be right back up to 11-man.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Being from Cavalier I think this is a good move for them. It would be very hard for them to compete at the 11-man level after this year.
Big Guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Below was taken from the minutes of the last NDHSAA meeting. I really don't understand why they will not let Cavalier play 11man. Looks like they denied their first request, then Cavalier didn't get their second request in by the deadline and the board won't change their decision. Where's the common sense here? You've got a team that has played 11man the entire time (even AA champions) and wants to stay that way even tho their enrollment qualifies them for 9man. But yet they are moving up teams that have always been 9man and probably won't be able to compete numbers wise in 11man.

It is unfortunate that maus voted no. i would have thought that he would be a yes vote.
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby old#63 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I think St Thomas pulling out of their coop will force Cavalier to play 11A. Without ST, the Drayton/Valley/Edinburg coop will only have 59 kids. Cavalier has 64. So Cavalier will get moved up to 11A to complete the 32 team field. And D/V/E will play 9 man.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm

They could also move up another team from 9man that has a higher enrollment than Cavalier even if it doesn't make sense geographically. Plus, with the OG and PC coop splitting that will have a trickle down effect of both A and 9man.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 am

ndlionsfan wrote:They could also move up another team from 9man that has a higher enrollment than Cavalier even if it doesn't make sense geographically. Plus, with the OG and PC coop splitting that will have a trickle down effect of both A and 9man.

I suppose you're right. there are three other teams in the 9 man field that do have higher enrollments than Cavalier. I guess I was just thinking geographically, but it is a statewide redistricting. Who knows?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to A