Region III

The teams in Class A

Postby ndfan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:27 am

From Grand forks Herald
Region 3A

A look back at 2005

Velva-Sawyer repeated as state champion, topping Cavalier 33-12 in the state final to snap the Tornadoes' four-season, 47-game winning streak. Velva-Sawyer has a streak of its own going, as it has won three consecutive state titles. Harvey, Langdon and North Border, in its first season in Class A after being a 9-man program in the past, also were playoff qualifiers. North Border, which had an all-state passing combination of seniors Brock Setness at quarterback and Zak Winkler and Teddy Clark at wide receiver, was eliminated 20-14 in the quarterfinals by Velva-Sawyer in a game that was tied at 14 in the final quarter.

A look ahead to 2006

Herald rankings (based on coaches' poll): 1. Velva-Sawyer; 2. Harvey; 3. Langdon; 4. North Border; 5. Des Lacs-Burlington; 6. Garrison-Max; 7. New Rockford-Sheyenne; 8. Dunseith.

The reasons: Velva-Sawyer will miss the playmaking ability of graduated all-state quarterback Tommy Weidler. But the team has five starters back on offense, including backfield veterans Erick Henke and Preston Bauer, and four back on defense. Brock Sandy returns for his fourth season as Harvey's starting quarterback, passing for more than 900 yards last season. The Hornets figure to be tough on defense, with six players back with starting experience. Langdon also has a veteran defense back, led by Drew Wold (47 tackles), Chris Beneda (34 tackles, six sacks) and David Olson (27 tackles, six sacks). North Border, which like Langdon graduated most of its skill-position regulars, has two of its top three defensive point leaders back in Paul Meyer and Tanner Carpenter.

Returning all-region players: Paul Meyer, North Border; Brock Sandy, Harvey; Erick Henke and Preston Bauer, Velva-Sawyer; Josh Poitra, Joel Rameriz and Loren Gladue, Dunseith.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:14 pm

Saw Velva at the Garrison scrimmage on Saturday. Their offense looked a bit rusty, but their 3 linebackers were tough as nails. If their D-line can keep their LB's free, they will be tough to move the ball on.  Their MLB, #61 is not very big, but that kid filled the holes about as well as I've seen in awhile. Also, watch out for DLB. They looked pretty darn good at the scrimmage. Should be an interesting year.
ndfbfan

Postby ndfan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:18 am

All be heading up to the Cavalier-North Border game tonight, both teams should probably be in the top half of their respective regions. I think it will come down to who's line steps up and plays the best. Cavalier will have good test against a couple region 3 teams they play Langdon on Saturday I believe who are in top 4 in that region also. Be a good test for the Tornadoes.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby triple » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 pm

Anybody know anything about New Rockford this year? What will North Border have to replace Winkler and Setness?
triple

Postby ndfan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:46 pm

[user=742]triple[/user] wrote:
Anybody know anything about New Rockford this year? What will North Border have to replace Winkler and Setness?

I think Tanner Carpenter will be the stud for North Border this year. I will get to see them tonight, all give more info on them after their game tonight.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:46 pm

new rockford is very young with just four seniors. i'm guessing this year might be kind of slow as sophomores and juniors figure out how to play at the varsity level, but it should be a good building block for next season.

but, they do have levi weber back and qb and noah nikolai back at wr.

on defense josh langley and brandon kolstad return at lb while alan cartwright is back at de.
rep

Postby triple » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:15 pm

What was up with Langdon over Cavalier 34-0 anyone at the game or could give any more information?
triple

Postby triple » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:05 am

North Border really took it to Garrison- Max this weekend 62-0 and Harvey demolished Dunseith which will happen every game for Dunseith. Is Garrison- Max going to be another team like Dunseith this year that teams really man handle? I also saw Langdon beat DLB 28-14 sounded like a pretty good game
triple

Return to A