2009 Dakota Bowl

The teams in Class A

2009 Dakota Bowl

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Ok, I know it is technically the "A" page so let's hear the talk about the Langdon/Munich vs. Velva game but I would also like to know who everyone thinks will win the other games as well. Here is the line-up.

Friday November 13th 12:00 9-Man Championship

Hankinson vs Parshall/White Shield

Friday Nov. 13th 2:30 A Championship

Langdon/Munich vs. Velva

Saturday November 14th 1:00 AA Championship

Devils Lake vs. Fargo Shanley

Saturday November 14th 3:30 AAA Championship

Bismarck vs. Fargo South
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: 2009 Dakota Bowl

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Ok, I know it is technically the "A" page so let's hear the talk about the Langdon/Munich vs. Velva game but I would also like to know who everyone thinks will win the other games as well. Here is the line-up.

Friday November 13th 12:00 9-Man Championship

Hankinson vs Parshall/White Shield

Friday Nov. 13th 2:30 A Championship

Langdon/Munich vs. Velva

Saturday November 14th 1:00 AA Championship

Devils Lake vs. Fargo Shanley

Saturday November 14th 3:30 AAA Championship

Bismarck vs. Fargo South

I don't think that Langdon/Munich has what it will take to beat Velva in the A game. They have talent on the offense in two players which just won't be enough to get it done for them in this one. IMHO.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football5 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

i think velva is going to beat langdon by 14 points
football5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 am

Hankinson
Velva
Devils Lake
Bismarck
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby radioman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 am

Parshall-White Shield (Cinderella's slipper will fit)
Velva
Devils Lake
Bismarck
radioman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hunterlaf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 am

Parshall White Shield by 12
Velva by 14
Devils Lake 20
Bismarck 14
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Mullet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:19 pm

football5 wrote:i think velva is going to beat langdon by 14 points

velva will win hands down, more than a 14 piont spread.
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Here is how each team got to the finals:

First Round

Langdon/Munich vs Milnor/North Sargent 38-24

Velva vs. Heart River 39-0

Quarterfinals

Langdon/Munich vs. Oakes 46-20

Velva vs. Harvey 18-12

Semifinals

Langdon/Munich vs. North Prairie 12-7

Velva vs. Watford City 24-14

Finals

Langdon/Munich "Cardinals" vs. Velva "Aggies"

Aggies- Is a nickname that was given to three high schools in the state of North Dakota that were designated as "agricultural" schools. Velva and Park River are the two schools that still remain with that nickname.

Cardinal- A bird. Moreover a bird that is not even indigenes to North Dakota.

You have to cheer for Velva based on this fact alone.

Just throwing a little jab at the Langdon/Munich fans before the game on Friday. All in good fun.
I hope it's a good game.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby a-simple-fan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Here is how each team got to the finals:

First Round

Langdon/Munich vs Milnor/North Sargent 38-24

Velva vs. Heart River 39-0

Quarterfinals

Langdon/Munich vs. Oakes 46-20

Velva vs. Harvey 18-12

Semifinals

Langdon/Munich vs. North Prairie 12-7

Velva vs. Watford City 24-14

Finals

Langdon/Munich "Cardinals" vs. Velva "Aggies"

Aggies- Is a nickname that was given to three high schools in the state of North Dakota that were designated as "agricultural" schools. Velva and Park River are the two schools that still remain with that nickname.

Cardinal- A bird. Moreover a bird that is not even indigenes to North Dakota.

You have to cheer for Velva based on this fact alone.

Just throwing a little jab at the Langdon/Munich fans before the game on Friday. All in good fun.
I hope it's a good game.

Okay, I will bite! Should be a good game. I have no knowledge of Velva and how they play but Langdon-Munich is peaking at the right time of year. Defense has been very good when it needs to be and their speed is going to be Velva's biggest test. Everyone talks about Beck and Dinius but the offensive line is very solid. Klein has done very well at fullback since being inserted into the lineup. On defense its all about speed with up to five state track qualifiers on the field plus Beck. Should be alot of fun. Good luck to everyone!
a-simple-fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm

This much I can tell you about Velva. They gave up an average of about 3.9 points per game throughout the season. Most of those points were given up by the second string. The most I believe they gave up was 14 to New Town ( a team that did not win a game) it was 50 something to nothing at the half. They are built for speed as well and are very tough against the run on defense. Look at the article in the Minot Daily News about saturday's game against Watford City, it can be found at www.minotdailynews.com Watford was a team that gave up an average of 3.4 points per game and submitted to 24 against Velva and was unable to get anything going on the ground on Saturday. Velva has averaged 8.3 points per game allowed in the playoffs but all of those points were to Harvey (two-time defending Class A champs) and Watford City (Defending AA Champs) both tough teams to keep out of the endzone. Velva has a balanced attack through the air and on the ground. Velva has no less than four guys who can run the ball, and will have no shortage of receivers ready to catch the ball when Langdon fills the box to defend the run.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Well like I've said before I don't know much about the teams from the east. From what I'm hearing Langdon is a team built on speed and that will help them on the turf in the dome. Their main threat is Dinius who is probably the fastest of them all. Obviously the game plan for Velva is gonna have to be containing Dinius and force Langdon to beat them another way. Velva is a little bit jeckyl and hyde when it comes to pass defense. Last weekend against Watford they covered the receivers pretty well and a couple times a little bit to well and got called for interference. They also got good pressure on the quarterback which of course helps the d-backs in coverage. If Langdon can put together some effective passing in the title game they can give Velva a good run for their money. Defensively Langdon is gonna have to be disciplined and not get out of position Velva has a lot of weapons and the line really does a good job of creating those holes. The running backs are all fast and capable of breaking tackles. Mack at quarterback can throw the ball really well and has a lot of choices if he is on target Friday it could be a long day for Langdon. I think special teams could be a difference maker in this game as well with either team capable of bringing a kick all the way back for a TD. I think it will be an exciting game hopefully without a bunch of mistakes. I think in the end Velva's diversity will win this game but I think it will be close.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby Lights Out2 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm

[quote="a-simple-fan"] Everyone talks about Beck and Dinius but the offensive line is very solid. [quote]

thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
Lights Out2
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm only going to comment on the 1A game, I still think the best team out of the east could have been Cavalier, I have always thought the best team out of the west was Velva, you could come out of AAA to 1A and its Velva's division to steal it from. Hats off to Langdon for the win over a tough squad NP.
I think Friday will be interesting, rest will be Huge, Players overcoming nagging injuries will be key, if Langdon wants to steal this title and bring it home to the east they will have to exacute, they will have to watch penalties, and they will have to BELEIVE.
The pressure is on Velva, just like it was on Watford, look for Velva to make the big mistakes because of this and look to Langdon to use their speed and capitalize.

Langdon 24
Velva 20
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby fanofeverything » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 pm

winner-within wrote:The pressure is on Velva, just like it was on Watford, look for Velva to make the big mistakes because of this and look to Langdon to use their speed and capitalize.
Langdon 24
Velva 20

Velva has won 6 of the last 9 'A' Championships so I don't look for them to make a big mistake. I am not sure how much you know about velva, but Velva's team is always built around speed. Velva hasn't had a Big Powerful team since 97. Coach Sandy has been here before (7-0 Dakota Bowl Record) and he will have his team ready to play. I look for this to be real similar to the 2000 championship between these 2 teams with Velva coming out on top 28-19
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 pm

I also want to give a deserving shout out to Velva and Langdon both for a great season. Each team having to beat a another great team for the second time on the season in the playoffs. Velva over Harvey and Langdon over North Prarie. It is not easy to beat a good team twice in the same season, just ask Velva last year. Congrats and good luck.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:55 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
winner-within wrote:The pressure is on Velva, just like it was on Watford, look for Velva to make the big mistakes because of this and look to Langdon to use their speed and capitalize.
Langdon 24
Velva 20

Velva has won 6 of the last 9 'A' Championships so I don't look for them to make a big mistake. I am not sure how much you know about velva, but Velva's team is always built around speed. Velva hasn't had a Big Powerful team since 97. Coach Sandy has been here before (7-0 Dakota Bowl Record) and he will have his team ready to play. I look for this to be real similar to the 2000 championship between these 2 teams with Velva coming out on top 28-19

and I dont know how much you know about football, but I know that I saw Velva coming out of the west a month ago (read my post's), I'm picking Langdon because I think the west are underestimating the east this year, one post read "and the east representative will be honored to play whoever comes out of the west", well you can bet the Langdon coach isn't telling his players to feel honored, and you can bet they know they have nothing to loose, hence "the pressure is on Velva".
Now lets talk about speed Velva may have built there team around speed but you can bet this week in practice they will be concentrating on how to harness speed, because I don't know how much you know about track but there is this name Dinius that comes to my mind! :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:23 pm

I guess I always considered football a team sport.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm

winner-within wrote:
fanofeverything wrote:
Langdon 24
Velva 20

and I dont know how much you know about football, but I know that I saw Velva coming out of the west a month ago (read my post's), I'm picking Langdon because I think the west are underestimating the east this year, one post read "and the east representative will be honored to play whoever comes out of the west", well you can bet the Langdon coach isn't telling his players to feel honored, and you can bet they know they have nothing to loose, hence "the pressure is on Velva".
Now lets talk about speed Velva may have built there team around speed but you can bet this week in practice they will be concentrating on how to harness speed, because I don't know how much you know about track but there is this name Dinius that comes to my mind! :wink:

I haven't seen Dinius play or run track im sure he is very fast buy track speed is a lot different than football speed.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Lights Out2 wrote:
a-simple-fan wrote: Everyone talks about Beck and Dinius but the offensive line is very solid.

thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting comment. I think a lot of teams that play Velva don't realize or underestimate how well Velva's line play's on both sides of the ball. Somehow they always find a way to get it done. Should be a good match up on Friday.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:40 am

bballfan7 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
fanofeverything wrote:
Langdon 24
Velva 20

I haven't seen Dinius play or run track im sure he is very fast buy track speed is a lot different than football speed.

Tell that to Ryan Chappell who played one year for UND (set records) and ran TRACK for GF central (fiercely fast), I'm just responding to a post that stated Velva is built on speed, and I think the real speed in this match up is Dinius, Beck is more of a slasher with outstanding athletisim and the two make for a one two punch, come on!! 350 yds in a playoff game dont question his ability even in Pads!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby hsfootballfan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:59 am

I can assure you, Velva will feel no pressure. Coach Sandy will have the kids well prepared, just as Langdons coach will, to play this game. If there is any pressure, I would think the Langdon kids will feel it more than the Velva kids will. Velva has been there way to many times in the recent years to buckle.
Watching Velva play, they have quite a dynamic offense. You cant just key on one person, dont sleep on the qb either, he is capable of throwing the football as well.

Velva wins

24-14
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shocker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 am

I think that in order for Langdon to win the game they are going to have to develop a passing game really quickly. Their running game will not be effective against Velva, who has good team speed and team-tackles well, unless they have some success through the air. I just don't see that happening this late in the season.

Velva 30, Langdon 12
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 am

Shocker wrote:I think that in order for Langdon to win the game they are going to have to develop a passing game really quickly. Their running game will not be effective against Velva, who has good team speed and team-tackles well, unless they have some success through the air. I just don't see that happening this late in the season.

Velva 30, Langdon 12

I disagree, I watched Cavalier get up 32-14 on Np (passing early) and then loose, this game will be on the ground, with a few pass plays here and there. Velva is the better team on paper and with their record, but Langdon has a couple ace's in the hole, if Beck a Dinius are denied, Langdon looses. Going out on a limb because of the turf and because of a gut feeling, I'm picking Langdon in a squeaker, if Velva goes up early Langdon's in trouble.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 am

I am not questioning Dinius' speed. I am sure he will be the fastest individual on the football field, however Velva always finds a way to stop speed and speed doesn't matter if he is being met in the backfield or on the edges and can't get to the outside. I know coming in to the 2000 Championship there was a lot of talk about Langdon's back (Jesse D.ick I believe) being unstoppable and he was shut down. I am not saying this is the same thing that will happen this year, but Langdon may want to work on passing because Velva always has one of the best run defenses in 'A' football. My prediction is Velva gets an assist(penalties) on one langdon TD and Dinius breaks one for 15-20 yards. Other than that it will be shut down. Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

Had to put a period in D.ick or else it changes the word to "dude" was laughing at myself when I first read my post thinking did I really say dude.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby 89Dragon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 pm

fanofeverything wrote: Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

:lol: :lol: Good luck with that.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to A