NDPreps Starter

Re: 2009 Dakota Bowl

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:02 pm

14-0 halftime.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

14-0 End of 3rd. Pretty defensive 3rd Qtr. Langdon is driving. Dinius is having a pretty good game, but so far Velva hasn't given up the BIG play.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Big 4th down stop for velva. Looked like Langdon got a really bad spot.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 pm

20-0 Velva middle of the 4th
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Dinius is getting pretty good yardage, but Velva's defense is coming up big down by the red zone
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm

20-0 Velva Great season for Landgon. Congrats to Velva another State Title.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:29 pm

fanofeverything wrote:20-0 Velva Great season for Landgon. Congrats to Velva another State Title.

well my gut feeling didn't hold true, shoulda stuck with Velva wins it all, ironically it sounded just like the Langdon Cav game, actually the same score, Dinius gets his yards but they can't break the red zone.

sure woulda been nice to see Cav and their Passing game get there. :(

well enough said about that, Congrads to Velva and Mr. Sandy they will go down in history as a true Class A Dynasty! Good job Langdon, (we wasa pullin for ya!!) great season in Class A.
To all you football players across the state, work hard in the off season, and everybody hold your head up high and be proud of your School!!! :D

Until next year, Now its time for the Hard Court, can't wait :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Who was named Senior Athlete and Coach of the Year?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dirtracer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:Who was named Senior Athlete and Coach of the Year?

Langdon's Travis Beck

Langdon's Andy Dellebar
dirtracer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Mullet » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:24 pm

dirtracer wrote:
Nodak Guy wrote:Who was named Senior Athlete and Coach of the Year?

Langdon's Travis Beck

Langdon's Andy Dellebar

Why not Sandy??? Velva won the game after all. And why not Dinius, almost 3,000 yds.... wow.
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby dirtracer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:31 pm

It is for best athlete, maybe because Beck could play every position and play it well?

As for Dellebare he took a 2-7 team and turned them into state runnerups. pretty impressive if u ask me.
dirtracer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby region3dominates » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

Everyone was talking about dinius and how many yards he had but Michael Wiest out dualed him. Wiest had 183 rushing and 2 tds and dinius only 167 and 0 tds. I just wish people would give credit where credit is due. Most of wiests runs were right up the middle and very hard fought yards and a 61yard td run that he never got touched on that was right up the gut. Velvas line played very solid and opened holes all day velva only had one bad drive and that was the games opening drive which seemed more like nerves and then settled down and played an awesome game. :wink: :P
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 am

Were you drunk when you watched this game? Never mind about that. Langdon did a good job of shutting down Velva's run game in the first half. There wasn't much going on there, but the passing game was more the weapon for Velva in the first half. Yes. Wiest ran for a touchdown with a good second effort and Mack got one on a sneak but both were short yardage plays. Accurate passing made the first half for Velva. The second half was a different story with Wiest opening up the run game and chewing up huge amounts of yards at a time. Yes Wiest out rushed Dinius in the end of the game and the score showed domination but I would have to disagree with that statement. Dinius was only one play away from making that a very close game. He broke some big plays but never got into the endzone. As a Velva fan, I will tell you that I was very nervous about his speed right up until Wiest broke the 60 yd touchdown in the fourth.

My only question is how Beck got class A player of the year when his teammate seemed to outplay him. Can anyone shed some light on what the criteria is for picking the region and state athlete of the year? I don't want to take anything away from Beck, he played a solid game and was a part of most of the defensive stops but so was Dinius.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigNorsk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, I don't think you could have argued with Dinius being selected either, but I think it was the fact that Beck moved to quarterback from fullback and took the team to the championship. His play was real good right from the start and he would come up with big plays when his team needed it.

Plus there's the defensive side of things. Beck was very good at linebacker and special teams. I'm not sure the total number of tackles but he was much more of a force on defense as compared to Dinius.

Not many players out there could take over at quarterback and do what Beck did. That and his defensive play was in my opinion why he was selected over Dinius.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Mullet » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 pm

dirtracer wrote:It is for best athlete, maybe because Beck could play every position and play it well?

As for Dellebare he took a 2-7 team and turned them into state runnerups. pretty impressive if u ask me.

You're absolutly right. Still almost 3000 yards....wow.
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby Whapeton_State_07 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 am

dropkickyaintheface wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
fanofeverything wrote:I am not questioning Dinius' speed. I am sure he will be the fastest individual on the football field, however Velva always finds a way to stop speed and speed doesn't matter if he is being met in the backfield or on the edges and can't get to the outside. I know coming in to the 2000 Championship there was a lot of talk about Langdon's back (Jesse D.ick I believe) being unstoppable and he was shut down. I am not saying this is the same thing that will happen this year, but Langdon may want to work on passing because Velva always has one of the best run defenses in 'A' football. My prediction is Velva gets an assist(penalties) on one langdon TD and Dinius breaks one for 15-20 yards. Other than that it will be shut down. Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

Had to put a period in D.ick or else it changes the word to "dude" was laughing at myself when I first read my post thinking did I really say dude.

Well with that analysis we just better wait for the game to be played, predicting yards and carries etc. etc.
let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run, well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D

Dinus had less then a hundred that game

Im pretty sure he had something like 93 yards that game
Whapeton_State_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby a-simple-fan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 am

Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
fanofeverything wrote:I am not questioning Dinius' speed. I am sure he will be the fastest individual on the football field, however Velva always finds a way to stop speed and speed doesn't matter if he is being met in the backfield or on the edges and can't get to the outside. I know coming in to the 2000 Championship there was a lot of talk about Langdon's back (Jesse D.ick I believe) being unstoppable and he was shut down. I am not saying this is the same thing that will happen this year, but Langdon may want to work on passing because Velva always has one of the best run defenses in 'A' football. My prediction is Velva gets an assist(penalties) on one langdon TD and Dinius breaks one for 15-20 yards. Other than that it will be shut down. Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

Had to put a period in D.ick or else it changes the word to "dude" was laughing at myself when I first read my post thinking did I really say dude.

Well with that analysis we just better wait for the game to be played, predicting yards and carries etc. etc.
let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run, well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D

100% sure he had over 150
a-simple-fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Whapeton_State_07 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:41 pm

a-simple-fan wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run,

well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D

Im 110% sure he didnt have over 100
Whapeton_State_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TDown » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
a-simple-fan wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run,

well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D

Im 110% sure he didnt have over 100

Im 200% sure he had around 125.
TDown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Xfactor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:21 pm

BigNorsk wrote:Well, I don't think you could have argued with Dinius being selected either, but I think it was the fact that Beck moved to quarterback from fullback and took the team to the championship. His play was real good right from the start and he would come up with big plays when his team needed it.

Plus there's the defensive side of things. Beck was very good at linebacker and special teams. I'm not sure the total number of tackles but he was much more of a force on defense as compared to Dinius.

Not many players out there could take over at quarterback and do what Beck did. That and his defensive play was in my opinion why he was selected over Dinius.

Beck moving to quarterback had nothing to do with it because all he did was hand it off to Dinius. Beck was better on defense, but Dinius also was a big contributor and he was their whole offense. I'm not trying to take anything away from Beck, but I don't see how he got the award when Dinius was clearly the best player on the team.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby football_lives_on » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 pm

As for the argument about dinius against cavalier, he had 106 yards rushing i checked the official computer stats. So whapeton state's prediction was closer
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:00 am

football_lives_on wrote:As for the argument about dinius against cavalier, he had 106 yards rushing i checked the official computer stats. So whapeton state's prediction was closer

well that might explain why he was not chosen as the Football man, He's a trackster, he can get you yards but maybe not the crucial TD's you need. Langdon represented the east this season thanks to Jon and Travis and the crew, but unlike Velva they were beatable, I honestly believe it was their Coach that had them believing, othewise they may not have made it to the Dome.
It could have easily been Cav or NP that represented the east.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

No more talk is needed about how many yards Jon Dinius had against Cavalier in this topic.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to A