2009 Dakota Bowl

The teams in Class A

Re: 2009 Dakota Bowl

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm

fanofeverything wrote:I am not questioning Dinius' speed. I am sure he will be the fastest individual on the football field, however Velva always finds a way to stop speed and speed doesn't matter if he is being met in the backfield or on the edges and can't get to the outside. I know coming in to the 2000 Championship there was a lot of talk about Langdon's back (Jesse D.ick I believe) being unstoppable and he was shut down. I am not saying this is the same thing that will happen this year, but Langdon may want to work on passing because Velva always has one of the best run defenses in 'A' football. My prediction is Velva gets an assist(penalties) on one langdon TD and Dinius breaks one for 15-20 yards. Other than that it will be shut down. Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

Had to put a period in D.ick or else it changes the word to "dude" was laughing at myself when I first read my post thinking did I really say dude.

Well with that analysis we just better wait for the game to be played, predicting yards and carries etc. etc.
let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run, well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Whapeton_State_07 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 pm

winner-within wrote:
fanofeverything wrote:I am not questioning Dinius' speed. I am sure he will be the fastest individual on the football field, however Velva always finds a way to stop speed and speed doesn't matter if he is being met in the backfield or on the edges and can't get to the outside. I know coming in to the 2000 Championship there was a lot of talk about Langdon's back (Jesse D.ick I believe) being unstoppable and he was shut down. I am not saying this is the same thing that will happen this year, but Langdon may want to work on passing because Velva always has one of the best run defenses in 'A' football. My prediction is Velva gets an assist(penalties) on one langdon TD and Dinius breaks one for 15-20 yards. Other than that it will be shut down. Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

Had to put a period in D.ick or else it changes the word to "dude" was laughing at myself when I first read my post thinking did I really say dude.

Well with that analysis we just better wait for the game to be played, predicting yards and carries etc. etc.
let me say this much, some of you are making it sound like Velva cant stop the pass as easy as the run, well than I would say after watching Langdon play in Cavalier, where Dinius had something like 140 yds between red zones and didn't score a point, it may be a situation where you let Jon get his yards in the middle (and he will) and then pass it in for a TD, There!! that sounds good to me :D

Dinus had less then a hundred that game
Whapeton_State_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:44 pm

89Dragon wrote:
fanofeverything wrote: Dinius will finish the game with somewhere around 75-80 yds on 25-30 carries and Velva wins 28-13.

:lol: :lol: Good luck with that.

:D :D :wink: Its what Velva does. Shut down the run. Last week Lund rushed for 54 yards after he was having a great season. He was the Region 4 1st Team RB. Running the ball vs Velva is very rarely a successful game plan.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Cavalier did a nice job stopping him, and I dont know how many exact yards he had but I do know that Langdon is a better machine with Beck a QB rather than another run option, it make Dinius even harder to concentrate on.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 pm

winner-within wrote:I'm only going to comment on the 1A game, I still think the best team out of the east could have been Cavalier, I have always thought the best team out of the west was Velva, you could come out of AAA to 1A and its Velva's division to steal it from. Hats off to Langdon for the win over a tough squad NP.
I think Friday will be interesting, rest will be Huge, Players overcoming nagging injuries will be key, if Langdon wants to steal this title and bring it home to the east they will have to exacute, they will have to watch penalties, and they will have to BELEIVE.
The pressure is on Velva, just like it was on Watford, look for Velva to make the big mistakes because of this and look to Langdon to use their speed and capitalize.

Langdon 24
Velva 20

winner-within wrote:
Deuce wrote:According to wiki here are the dakota bowl scores for A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Bowl#External_links

2008 Harvey over Linton-H-M-B 14-0
2007 Harvey over Lisbon 21-18
2006 Velva over Linton 33-8
2005 Velva/Sawyer over Cavalier 33-12
2004 Velva/Sawyer over Larimore 21-12
2003 Velva/Sawyer over LaMoure/Litchville-Marion/Verona 20-13
2002 Stanley/Powers Lake over Carrington 20-12
2001 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 27-22
2000 Velva/Sawyer over Langdon 22-14
1999 Stanley over Carrington 30-12
1998 Harvey over Stanley 29-12
1997 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 28-8

Thanks Deuce
I had a feeling I was going to see Velva and Harvey listed quite often, I was following AA more through- out the last 10 years. I don't think its even worth mentioning anybody else as a contender until the Sandy bros. step down and the programs take a hit because of it.

When did your feelings change?
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:42 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
winner-within wrote:I'm only going to comment on the 1A game, I still think the best team out of the east could have been Cavalier, I have always thought the best team out of the west was Velva, you could come out of AAA to 1A and its Velva's division to steal it from. Hats off to Langdon for the win over a tough squad NP.
I think Friday will be interesting, rest will be Huge, Players overcoming nagging injuries will be key, if Langdon wants to steal this title and bring it home to the east they will have to exacute, they will have to watch penalties, and they will have to BELEIVE.
The pressure is on Velva, just like it was on Watford, look for Velva to make the big mistakes because of this and look to Langdon to use their speed and capitalize.

Langdon 24
Velva 20

winner-within wrote:
Deuce wrote:According to wiki here are the dakota bowl scores for A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Bowl#External_links

2008 Harvey over Linton-H-M-B 14-0
2007 Harvey over Lisbon 21-18
2006 Velva over Linton 33-8
2005 Velva/Sawyer over Cavalier 33-12
2004 Velva/Sawyer over Larimore 21-12
2003 Velva/Sawyer over LaMoure/Litchville-Marion/Verona 20-13
2002 Stanley/Powers Lake over Carrington 20-12
2001 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 27-22
2000 Velva/Sawyer over Langdon 22-14
1999 Stanley over Carrington 30-12
1998 Harvey over Stanley 29-12
1997 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 28-8

Thanks Deuce
I had a feeling I was going to see Velva and Harvey listed quite often, I was following AA more through- out the last 10 years. I don't think its even worth mentioning anybody else as a contender until the Sandy bros. step down and the programs take a hit because of it.

When did your feelings change?

oh this Langdon thing for me is somewhat bias, I've stated this is a gut feeling, I'm also a realist and like I also stated if Langdon gets behind to far (couple of td's) "their in trouble".

this post was directed at the west stating it May be Hazen's or Watford's turn this year.
Last edited by winner-within on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:46 pm

winner-within wrote:

You say "yards" as in plural. You sound fairly optomistic about his chances.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm

thats right, feelings, I've stated this is a gut feeling, I'm also a realist and like I also stated if Langdon gets behind to far (couple of td's) "their in trouble".

You sure you don't just have a stomach ache? Or maybe the swine flu? But seriously I am sure it will be a good game and anything can happen. That's why they play the game. I am just stating that everyone comes into Velva and tries to run the ball on Velva and it almost never works. Wolff from Harvey in the Semis last year is about the only back in recent memory who really had a good rushing game against Velva. The best bet to beat a Velva team for the last 12-15 years is to pass the ball. The secondary is always the weakest part of Velva's defense. They did do a good job against Watford, but the wind was blowing and Watford's QB wasn't very accurate that day. I just don't see Langdon winning this game unless they can get the passing game going. If Langdon can get a couple of big plays through the air I think they have a shot.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
thats right, feelings, I've stated this is a gut feeling, I'm also a realist and like I also stated if Langdon gets behind to far (couple of td's) "their in trouble".

You sure you don't just have a stomach ache? Or maybe the swine flu? But seriously I am sure it will be a good game and anything can happen. That's why they play the game. I am just stating that everyone comes into Velva and tries to run the ball on Velva and it almost never works. Wolff from Harvey in the Semis last year is about the only back in recent memory who really had a good rushing game against Velva. The best bet to beat a Velva team for the last 12-15 years is to pass the ball. The secondary is always the weakest part of Velva's defense. They did do a good job against Watford, but the wind was blowing and Watford's QB wasn't very accurate that day. I just don't see Langdon winning this game unless they can get the passing game going. If Langdon can get a couple of big plays through the air I think they have a shot.

I'll stay with my final pick, Langdon, I appreciate the info on how to beat Velva but I know these championship games never play out exactly like they should, I'd take take Dinius and Beck on my team anyday and then take my chances 8)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby dropkickyaintheface » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

dropkickyaintheface
NDPreps Rookie

Postby dropkickyaintheface » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:27 pm

the last time langdon made a trip to the dakota bowl they had probably one of the most "uneducated" coaches in the state. sandy is a a good coach and plain and simple out-coached langdon. a 3rd grader with a box of crayons and tablet could have stopped langdons run with the most predictable coach in ND history. the only reason that game stayed close is becuz of langdons athletes.

times have changed and so has langdons coach. I'll also put my money on speed and a four year starter at ndsu calling the plays.
dropkickyaintheface
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Velva still has the same great coach. And I think Langdon will again be outcoached as Sandy is one of the best of all time in the North Dakota 'A' and class B ranks. Now it will be up to the kids to get out there and execute. If Velva makes a few big mistakes and Langdon plays a clean game they have a chance. If Velva plays a clean game they win.
Last edited by fanofeverything on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 pm

dropkickyaintheface wrote:
Whapeton_State_07 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Thank you, I knew I'd seen he had well over a hundred, they just couldn't punch it in, Cav played awesome that night! Langdon has grown in confidence immensely since that night.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 am

Well today is the big day. I really think for Langdon that they need to get a quick TD it would be a big confidence booster for them and give them more options on offense to keep Velva's defense honest. On the other hand if Velva gets an early lead it's gonna be a long day for Langdon. I'll take Velva 26-7.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Almost game time. I agree with you A-Fanatic if Langdon scores early and can get the lead I think they have a chance, on the same note Langdon needs to come out and stop Velva from scoring early or it will be a long day. Wish I was there :(
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsense » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 pm

dropkickyaintheface wrote:the last time langdon made a trip to the dakota bowl they had probably one of the most "uneducated" coaches in the state. sandy is a a good coach and plain and simple out-coached langdon. a 3rd grader with a box of crayons and tablet could have stopped langdons run with the most predictable coach in ND history. the only reason that game stayed close is becuz of langdons athletes.

times have changed and so has langdons coach. I'll also put my money on speed and a four year starter at ndsu calling the plays.

"The new coach hasn't proven himself yet as some feel he was bought off last year with some of the poor athletes he was starting in key roles, he just followed who the previous coach had starting in key positions so more time is needed to test his character!"
sportsense
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Mullet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:15 pm

dropkickyaintheface wrote:the last time langdon made a trip to the dakota bowl they had probably one of the most "uneducated" coaches in the state. sandy is a a good coach and plain and simple out-coached langdon. a 3rd grader with a box of crayons and tablet could have stopped langdons run with the most predictable coach in ND history. the only reason that game stayed close is becuz of langdons athletes.

Oh I didn't realize how fast the east was. Wow, Velva must not be fast enough. We'll have to see about that. One more thing. Coach Sandy is one of the best, hands down.
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Game time boys! Time to see if Langdon's speed is everything it has been said to be!
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Mullet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:55 pm

fanofeverything wrote:Game time boys! Time to see if Langdon's speed is everything it has been said to be!

Good call, Dinius is going to have to step up, Velva is quick and solid. There not as slow as everyone thinks. Velva has a better club and will win.
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Langdon looking good on the first drive.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:13 pm

Big stop for Velva
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm

Velva 7-0 late 1st Qtr
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:26 pm

7-0 end of 1st
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:34 pm

14-0 Velva
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Dinius is having a great half. Velva will need to make some adjustments or he is goin gto break a big one.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to A