Watford City at Velva

The teams in Class A

Re: Watford City at Velva

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am

"watford's defense is gonna step up big and after the willims county 2nd half im going with watford city 14-0"

Let's do some straight thinking about what you just said. The statement is fine Watford's D may step up big, but after giving up a TD to Williams County and 2 to DLB there is no chance Velva is getting shut out nor is Watford City. However wins the game is going to have to score a few times as both of these coaches are among the best at making adjustments to the other team. Both teams have great defense for sure, but they both have more weapons on offense than either team has faced this year. I look for this game to be closer to a 20-14 game as I think both teams will put up some points in the first half and I look both coaches to make adjustments at halftime and they will battle in the trenches to see who can break through and score in the scond half. I predict a 14-7 or 14-14 half time score with only 1 or 2 TD's given up in the second half between the two teams. I again pick Velva to win 20-14 with something happening late in the 4th. Either the go ahead score or a big defensive stand.

Again let me restate what seems obvious to me. Although both teams have great D there is no chance either team pitches a shutout!
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby football5 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:35 pm

since velva beat harvey i think there gonna beat watford by at least 21 points and roll in to the state championship and win that to
football5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AAfootballfan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:01 pm

football5 wrote:since velva beat harvey i think there gonna beat watford by at least 21 points and roll in to the state championship and win that to

I would also like to add that the I think the Cleveland Browns are the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year!

Stupidest post ever!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 pm

AAfootballfan wrote:
football5 wrote:since velva beat harvey i think there gonna beat watford by at least 21 points and roll in to the state championship and win that to

I would also like to add that the I think the Cleveland Browns are the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year!

Stupidest post ever!

LoL
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm

This is really a tough one to pick. Two good teams, good coaching, good players. Usually when this type of game comes about I lean towards the home team. I know, I know people jumped on me when I said the same thing about the first time that Harvey went to Velva this year, but to me there is still such a thing as home field advantage. I think after being disappointed last year and having the challenge presented to them with Watford being the defending Class AA champion, Velva should pull it off. Won't predict a score but likely within a touchdown or so...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football5 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 pm

i have never seen watford play but i have seen velva and they look pretty good i think at the most they can win by 21 but the least by 8 i think they will win thought by 12
football5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:11 pm

This game is on the web at www.khrt.com on the fm link 106.9 I think. Velva is up early 7-0 after a Watford City fumble deep in their own territory.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:23 pm

14-0 Velva late in the first quarter. Wind seems to be halting play for Watford so second quarter could be a different story.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Watford scores on a drive that was filled with assists from Velva on penalties. 14-7 just under a minute to go in the half.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AAfootballfan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:08 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Watford scores on a drive that was filled with assists from Velva on penalties. 14-7 just under a minute to go in the half.

Just like I predicted Velva up by a score at halftime. Now its time for Coach Fridley to make adjustments. Watford's O line is getting outplayed by the sounds of it.
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Just from what I am hearing on the web it sounds like some bad calls have helped Watford out a little. The timeout that was not charged to negate the too many men on the field penalty, and then a pass interference that sounded iffy but I am only listening online so I did not see it firsthand to defend those statements. We will have to see how the second half plays out.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AAfootballfan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Just from what I am hearing on the web it sounds like some bad calls have helped Watford out a little. The timeout that was not charged to negate the too many men on the field penalty, and then a pass interference that sounded iffy but I am only listening online so I did not see it firsthand to defend those statements. We will have to see how the second half plays out.

Watford City once again shoots themselves in the foot and fumbles the opening kick of the 2nd half and velva makes good on a 29 yd FG to lead 17-7 early in the 3rd QTR.
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:41 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Just from what I am hearing on the web it sounds like some bad calls have helped Watford out a little. The timeout that was not charged to negate the too many men on the field penalty, and then a pass interference that sounded iffy but I am only listening online so I did not see it firsthand to defend those statements. We will have to see how the second half plays out.

The pass interference call looked pretty legit to me, it was close but i think the refs made the right call.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:00 pm

The radio announcers may be pro-Velva which I am trying to take into account. If you say that it looked legit then I will take your word for it.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Regardless if the calls are legit or not Velva has definetly been making enough penalties to keep Watford in the game. It is hard to listen and cheer for one team. I wish I could be there.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Velva 24- Watford City 14 ***FINAL***
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby KyleJRM » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Just the opposite: Watford City got burned harder by the refs than any team I have seen this season.

The worst was in the first minute. Watford City fumbled on the second play of the game. Velva takes over at the WC 18, and fumbles on the first play. A pile forms with about three W.C. guys at the bottom. The whistle blows. The ball pops out right after the whistle blows, with a Watford kid closest to it but the refs waving the play dead. The ruling? Inadvertent whistle, replay the down. Aggies get a free 1st and 10 when it should have been 2nd and 10 at best, if not Watford ball. Sure enough, Watford stops them three straight plays but 4th and 10 (which was really fifth down) is an 18-yard touchdown pass.

There were two more awfully questionable fumble calls that went against Watford. The fumble on the opening kickoff of the second half, which led to a field goal, looked like an awful call to me (ground caused it), but I was far enough away that I could be wrong. Then with Velva up 7 with a few minutes to go and in Watford City territory, there was a fumble that Watford recovered that the Velva runner was ruled down. I didn't have as clean a look as I would have liked on that one, but it was awfully close.

Now of course there were lots of the garden-variety close calls that each team's fans are going to complain about in every football game. Pass interference is always controversial. But all the truly tough calls were going against Watford City.

That said, Watford killed themselves with other turnovers and Velva had some *amazing* line play on both sides of the ball to earn the win. It was a close game between two excellent teams and the winner deserved it. But if anyone is muttering about refs after this one, it's got to be Watford.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 pm

There were quite a few questionable calls in the game. Unfortunately the refs don't have replay to help them get the call right. The fumble you talked about to open the second half looked like it might have been caused by the ground so your complaint there is legit. You could also argue against Watford City's first touchdown I'd give the officials an assist on that one. To understand that one you have to go back to a procedure penalty against Watford that was waved off because Fridley was calling timeout. But that timeout was never charged and Fridley was able to use it at the end of the first half to set up a play on another fourth down play. Without that timeout to get organized maybe they don't convert and consequently go into half time with a big fat " 0 " on the board. Point being that you can complain or make excuses whatever you want to call it but the fact of the matter is Watford was helped by the refs as much as they were hurt by the refs. If you want to know what really cost Watford the game you don't need to look any further than their running game. That wasn't working very well for them they had some nice runs but for the most part Velva didn't give up very much. Then you look at their passing game and Jacobson wasn't very effective there either. Either his passes were off the mark or his receivers were dropping the ball. How many times was Jacobsen sacked, or chased out of the pocket? Velva played very good defense today and that's what won the game.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby KyleJRM » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:41 pm

That's a great catch on the uncharged timeout. I hadn't even noticed that. I do find it likely that the timeout was the difference between them making and not making that fourth down. Theoretically possible, yes, but not likely.

I don't agree that Watford City was helped by the refs as much as they were hurt. Refs aren't perfect, and sometimes that's going to favor one team or the other just by chance, and they had an unlucky day.

I do, however, agree that the difference in the game was not the refs. It was Velva's line play. And their coverage. Williams County got in Jacobson's face pretty regularly last week, but on the occasions he had time he found open receivers. Velva completely locked down the receivers even when Jacobson did find time.

The Velva o-line runs the counter incredibly well.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Just watching the highlights on KXMC that fumble on the opening kick of the second half was definately a fumble. They slowed down the video and the ball came out before he ever hit the ground so the officials did get that call right.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:29 am

If I'm not mistaken (and if I am please correct me) on the "fifth down" touchdown, the aggies fumbled on their first play from scrimmage. The ball was recovered by Watford and then subsequently fumbled by Watford all in the same play. This would result in two changes of posession and indeed include a new set of downs.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby triplebbb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 am

The reason no timeout was charged for too many men in the huddle was because actually WC had 11 men in the huddle and one guy ran off the field to make it ten. Fridley was trying to call timeout as the penalty was being called. Cant call the penalty for too many men so they waved the timeout and the penalty. The reffing crew was a bit confused all day. Velva was faster and stronger at most positions and outplayed the Wolves. (I am from WC) Langdon is going to have to be awfully good to beat the Aggies. Congrats to Velva.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:10 am

triplebbb wrote:The reason no timeout was charged for too many men in the huddle was because actually WC had 11 men in the huddle and one guy ran off the field to make it ten. Fridley was trying to call timeout as the penalty was being called. Cant call the penalty for too many men so they waved the timeout and the penalty. The reffing crew was a bit confused all day. Velva was faster and stronger at most positions and outplayed the Wolves. (I am from WC) Langdon is going to have to be awfully good to beat the Aggies. Congrats to Velva.

Actually two guys ran out of the huddle and went to the sidelines but I think the ref missed that. Anyway you look at it the refs had a tough day I think there were some bad calls that went both ways. Really in a game like this I would like to see the officials just let them play. Call the obvious stuff but don't be a factor in the game let the players decide that by their play!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby KyleJRM » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:If I'm not mistaken (and if I am please correct me) on the "fifth down" touchdown, the aggies fumbled on their first play from scrimmage. The ball was recovered by Watford and then subsequently fumbled by Watford all in the same play. This would result in two changes of posession and indeed include a new set of downs.

Sort of. The ball was fumbled, there was a pile and it looked like Watford had it to me. The Watford coaches definitely thought they had it, but you can never count on that.

Anyway, the whistle blew while the ball was still in the pile. Immediately after the whistle blew, the ball popped out. I *think* a Watford kid picked it up at that point, but I might be remembering wrong on that point, and the refs were waving the play dead regardless.

The ruling was inadvertent whistle had prematurely stopped the play, and thus the play was negated and had to be replayed. That's the right call for an inadvertent whistle, but also a brutal time for an inadvertent whistle.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby 8's » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:54 pm

AAfootballfan wrote:

Stupidest post ever!

Can i ask whats so stupid about that post?
8's
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to A