Watford City at Velva

The teams in Class A

Watford City at Velva

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 am

Number one Watford City is traveling to number two Velva for the West Semi-Finals. This should be a good game. What are everyones predictions for this one?
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Watford City at Velva

Postby Hunterlaf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 am

ill take velva by a td
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 am

Watching Watford City on TV I'd say these teams are mirror images of each other. I was impressed with Lund running the ball, he doesn't need much of a seem to get through and if he gets into the secondary he can out run a lot of people not to mention he can make people miss too. Velva will have to be sharp on defense to win this one. On the other side Velva has about three or four different guys that run the ball pretty well if they execute their plays they are tough to beat. If Mack has a good day throwing the ball Velva could put a lot of points on the board. So I guess what I'm really trying to say is defense is gonna win this game.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:41 am

I figured this game would come down to execution. Watford has had their hands full with the region three teams thus far in the playoffs. This will be a really interesting game to watch. Again, I wish I could be there but I will be watching on tv if I get the game if not I will listen on khrt.com which I am sure will be broadcasting the game online.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 am

A - Football Fan wrote:I figured this game would come down to execution. Watford has had their hands full with the region three teams thus far in the playoffs. This will be a really interesting game to watch. Again, I wish I could be there but I will be watching on tv if I get the game if not I will listen on khrt.com which I am sure will be broadcasting the game online.

Watford really shot themselves in the foot all day otherwise they would've blown Williams County out. Watford had something like 100 yds in penalties. I know for sure one touchdown called back on a penalty but Watford controlled the game all day. Williams County only had three offensive plays in the third quarter. Hard to win a game when your defense is on the field all day.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigNorsk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Looking at common opponents it would look like Velva should blow Watford City out. But it's probably closer than that, I'll still take Velva though. Velva had a lot of good opponents this year and haven't stumbled and I think that will take them to the dome. Velva by a touchdown.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby radioman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:I figured this game would come down to execution. Watford has had their hands full with the region three teams thus far in the playoffs. This will be a really interesting game to watch. Again, I wish I could be there but I will be watching on tv if I get the game if not I will listen on khrt.com which I am sure will be broadcasting the game online.

You are correct...the game will be broadcast on 106.9 FM K-Heart out of Minot and online at www.khrt.com. Pre-game starts around 1:15pm on Saturday.
radioman
NDPreps Starter

Postby fballman11 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:04 pm

i know this post thread is about velva-watford...but just to throw it in there when a-fanatic said that watford shot themselves in the foot on saturday...yes i agree they did...bgut dont you think that wil co did also....first drive they were marchin the ball down the field with ease...then two fumbled snaps....turnover ....do you think that if wil co coulda held on to the ball the first drive..it woulda been different?

i am also going to take velva in a close one...velva just simply has to much for watford to handle i believe
fballman11
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDOK » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 pm

fballman11 wrote:i know this post thread is about velva-watford...but just to throw it in there when a-fanatic said that watford shot themselves in the foot on saturday...yes i agree they did...bgut dont you think that wil co did also....first drive they were marchin the ball down the field with ease...then two fumbled snaps....turnover ....do you think that if wil co coulda held on to the ball the first drive..it woulda been different?

i am also going to take velva in a close one...velva just simply has to much for watford to handle i believe

Watford had about 360 yards total offense, Williams County about 130. I thought the game was a little more one-sided than the score indicated.

Velva vs Watford should be a treat. Two tradition rich programs going at it. Both can run and throw on offense and are stout on defense. I see it anyone's game.
NDOK
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ABCD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 pm

NDOK wrote:
fballman11 wrote:i know this post thread is about velva-watford...but just to throw it in there when a-fanatic said that watford shot themselves in the foot on saturday...yes i agree they did...bgut dont you think that wil co did also....first drive they were marchin the ball down the field with ease...then two fumbled snaps....turnover ....do you think that if wil co coulda held on to the ball the first drive..it woulda been different?

Watford had about 360 yards total offense, Williams County about 130. I thought the game was a little more one-sided than the score indicated.

Velva vs Watford should be a treat. Two tradition rich programs going at it. Both can run and throw on offense and are stout on defense. I see it anyone's game.

Should be a great game. Looking at stats WC defense has been very solid with very little yardage given up in both games, I believe a total of around 180 total. Velva has been just as good. Could be a very low scoring game. I expect the same as last weeks games--Defense settles in after a score of two then it will come down to the last possession.
ABCD
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hsfootballfan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:03 am

Velva 22-12
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:23 am

I don't think the result would've been any different if Williams County had scored on that first drive. Watford City made adjustments after Williams County scored and after that they did nothing the rest of the day. Watford could've easily put 30 points on the board but their penalties cost them!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby fanofeverything » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:29 am

This is a match up of two teams who like to do similar things with the football. Both teams are very evenly matched and all things the same on a neutral site I think this game could go into 3-4 OTs. This matchup is going to come down to who plays the cleanest game. I think penalties and turnovers are going to decide this one. I am going to take Velva on their home field to play a cleaner game and pull out a win in a close one. 20-14.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Here's some food for thought. One of Velva's strengths of the past is a real weakness this year. Velva can't kick an extra point to save their souls, if this game is as close as a lot of you think it will be then the extra points could be the difference maker.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby hsfootballfan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:19 am

A-Fanatic wrote:Here's some food for thought. One of Velva's strengths of the past is a real weakness this year. Velva can't kick an extra point to save their souls, if this game is as close as a lot of you think it will be then the extra points could be the difference maker.

Good point. Special teams are a lot more important than a person might think. There have been a lot of games decided by the ability, or lack there of, to put that extra point or 2 points on the board. This game could come down to that since they are so evenly matched.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Electric Avenue » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:08 am

Overall, both teams are the best inb the state. Looking at it, this is the championship game. I dont think any eastern team could handle either of these teams. unfortunatly they had to meet in the playoffs. I think Watfords defence looked amazing in the second half of the wiliums county gameon TV. wiliums county had -3 rushing yards and no first downs the second half. From what i know, Velva runs the same type of offence, but allot faster. I cant wait to see how this one ravles out.
Electric Avenue
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 89Dragon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 am

Sadly only 1 of them will get to the actual championship. Regardless who wins WC/Velva game, the championship will be decided on Friday the 13th. The east will be WELL represented. It all is a matter of prespective really. If you have watched the east teams a person could very well say that the championship will be decided in Langdon as much as in Velva. The next game would just be a formality.

I am glad the games still need to be played actually. It will be a great weekend of class A football
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 am

89Dragon wrote:Sadly only 1 of them will get to the actual championship. Regardless who wins WC/Velva game, the championship will be decided on Friday the 13th. The east will be WELL represented. It all is a matter of prespective really. If you have watched the east teams a person could very well say that the championship will be decided in Langdon as much as in Velva. The next game would just be a formality.

I am glad the games still need to be played actually. It will be a great weekend of class A football

I really wish during the regular season that teams from the east could play teams from the west as their nonconference games. That would maybe put to rest some of this hogwash and would give the fans a little bit of insight as to how the teams compare. The fact that Watford and Velva are rated 1 and 2 in the last poll is completely meaningless at this point. The winner still has one more game to play and their gonna have to able to shut down a potent running attack no matter who they play from the east. We can have a discussion about east and west after the title game.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:57 pm

Well it looks like this is going to be a classic matchup of two tradition rich programs. It also showcases two of the best coaches in the state in my opinion! I look for this game to be tied or Velva up by a score in the first half. The thing that always amazes me about Fred Fridley coached teams is the adjustments made at halftime to win games. Looking at last week's game it was another example with Williams County getting next to nothing on offense in the second half. I will take Watford City 20-12 with the Wolves D coming up big in the second half. Also I don't think Velva has seen a passing game like the Wolves have this year so that should be interesting!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yakama » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 pm

It's supposed to be a nice day on Saturday. I take Watford here because they are so balanced on offense and have a great d. I think Jacobson is going to have a big day. Should be an awesome game to watch. WC 21 Velva 13
yakama
NDPreps Starter

Postby uconn_8 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Just an interesting fact...since the inception of the the 4 class system, the team representing the West has won every year.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:48 pm

uconn_8 wrote:Just an interesting fact...since the inception of the the 4 class system, the team representing the West has won every year.

I could be wrong but Harvey beat Stanley back in 1998 or something like that but they represented the east at that time.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby Electric Avenue » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Looking at the teams, i dont think it is going to be so low of a scoaring game. I think that Watford will take if 27-21. But in the end it could go either way. Its hard to watch these amazing teams that worked so hard over the season from the east and west, and to know that 2 have to walk away losers in the end.
Thats the game though, and how grate of games they will be.
Electric Avenue
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Electric Avenue » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 pm

yakama wrote:It's supposed to be a nice day on Saturday. I take Watford here because they are so balanced on offense and have a great d. I think Jacobson is going to have a big day. Should be an awesome game to watch. WC 21 Velva 13

I think Watford just has too many weapons. I think the velva d-line is going to have problems. They are verry large boys, but Watford has some great speed, and yes the passing game. Watford City has 5 players that can make some amazing catches with trey jacobson's strength and accuracy of his throwing game. Velva's full back isnt somthing you want to be messing with. he is an agrresive runner, and sneaky fast. Overall the game wont be won by these players. Its all going to depend on the line of the teams. I believe that is going to be the key to both teams.
Electric Avenue
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brickwall » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:57 am

watford's defense is gonna step up big and after the willims county 2nd half im going with watford city 14-0
brickwall
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to A