Cavalier at North Prairie

The teams in Class A

Cavalier at North Prairie

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 am

The first time these two teams met North Prairie won in a land slide. Now Cavalier has a chance to prove they are a better team than that. What are everybody's thoughts on this one? I have a feeling this will be a knock down drag out fight to the end.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Re: Cavalier at North Prairie

Postby Hunterlaf » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 am

i have north prarie winnin by 20 40 20
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm

I agree with A-Fanatic that this one is going to be a dogfight. North Prairie is as hard-nosed as they come and Cavalier is going to be playing with a chip on its shoulder from the blowout. Definitely not going to be any love lost here. I think North Prairie's defense is going to be a big key once again. If they can hold Cavalier to 12 or less the Cougars win. Playoff time is where the defense shines.
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 89Dragon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:13 pm

The trenches is where this game will be decided. Last time rushing was 350+ for NP, 50 ish for Cavalier. Will be closer but I believe NP will shine once again. Good Luck to both teams.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

toddjames wrote:I agree with A-Fanatic that this one is going to be a dogfight. North Prairie is as hard-nosed as they come and Cavalier is going to be playing with a chip on its shoulder from the blowout. Definitely not going to be any love lost here. I think North Prairie's defense is going to be a big key once again. If they can hold Cavalier to 12 or less the Cougars win. Playoff time is where the defense shines.

are put slightly different, playoff time is where the defense BETTER shine, other wise its homeward bound! for anyone left.

I think the pressure is on NP, they beat up on Cavalier real big during the regular season then Cavalier beat Langdon, then Langdon beat NP, Then to really throw a spin into everything Cavalier beats Linton. Things have to fall in place and Cavalier has to show up ready to play Football (and they will) but I thinK if your NP you don't know what to actually expect they could be saying, "well its snowing today, but on Saturday were going to be under a TORNADO WATCH" 8) :P
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigNorsk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:16 am

Well last time Mack provided a big wind, never heard a mouth on a quarterback like that.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:43 am

BigNorsk wrote:Well last time Mack provided a big wind, never heard a mouth on a quarterback like that.

are maybe you mean," you never heard a mouth like that on a quarterback" but I still don't totally follow what your saying (elaborate please)!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigNorsk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Mack spent a lot of time chewing out teammates. It was so much I expected the officials to throw a flag though I'm not sure exactly what the call would have been I guess I've never seen unsportsmanlike behavior called on someone for what he was doing to his own team, but I actually expected it that night.

Looking at the latest results, I'd guess they got things fixed up among them.

I don't expect perfect play from high schoolers, matter of fact sometimes they just have a meltdown. Team relations among Cavalier appeared to me to do that in the previous NP game. And talking to others close to the play on the sidelines, I wasn't the only one.

In that game, Cavalier was fighting against not just NP but also Cavalier. My opinion, take it for what you pay for it. But that's my explanation for why a usually very good team gets beat by 50-0.

I don't really blame the quarterback as much as the coach. The coach should have seen what was happening, called a time out, and put an end to it. But the coach seemed to think it was his job to hollar from the sidelines and just add to the general meltdown occurring on the field. REal poor job of helping his team, they really didn't need to hear that they should have caught that ball. They knew it and it didn't help to hear it on the way back to the huddle and hear it again when they got there.

I don't expect that to happen again, and indeed, if you look back in posts, I did mention that it wouldn't surprise me to see Cavalier beat Linton and that they were a much better than normal 4th place team.

Sometimes a team has a break down, if they learn from it, they become a better team. I'm expecting a better team to show up tomorrow in Rolette.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby future star » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:17 pm

i got np winning 28-12
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sports for life » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm

NP 40 Cavalier 32
sports for life
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:16 pm

sports for life wrote:NP 40 Cavalier 32

Wow...sounds like it was quite a game. Any details?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Cavalier passes for over 200 yards in the first half and takes 32-14 lead on North Prairie... NP holds Cavalier to just 45 yards in second half and outscores them 26-0 to win 40-32... One of the better comebacks I have seen and a complete turnaround... Cavalier is going to tough next year... they looked good in that first half
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigNorsk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:03 pm

Grand Forks Herald has a lot of the stats. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... id/139324/

First half NP gave two short field turnovers by fumble to Cav. Cav converted both to touchdowns. The passing of Cavalier was shredding the NP defense in the first half and ineffective in 2nd half.

Not a lot of penalties or hurt yourself mistakes by either team other than that.

Mack seemed to be injured in the first half after a hard tackle by Nick Pfiefer but continued to play both as quarterback and linebacker. Few dings on both teams during play but nothing serious either way.

Second half it seemed NP was just the stronger team and Cav couldn't move on offense or stop NP on D. NP had quite a few 4th downs in game and converted most. NP runners were running hard and often gained a lot of yards after someone got ahold of them in the second half.

Cavalier came to play, the weather was sunny, and almost calm most of the first half. Clouds showed up for second half, wind from the south but it wasn't a factor. They were about as close as it comes to pulling it off.

At the end of the game, with less than two minutes to play, NP was first and goal on about the 5 yard line. Ahead by one point, NP kneeled twice to force Cavalier to use it's last timeout, then with just over a minute to play they scored on 3rd down and converted to have an 8 point lead. Cavalier ran the ball back to about the 35. Ran a couple of pass plays, and then threw an interception to end the game.
Last edited by BigNorsk on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:06 pm

It was a great game, and after being there I just want to say that its great that the game of Football can live on in these small rural towns, pulling into the field at rolette you see a sign that says "Home of the 1990 9-man State Champions" and you realize your in Football Country.
Then the Game begins and the Battle is on and just like the others have posted it was a Game of two halves Cavalier gets the 1st half and NP comes out crankin in the 2end and in the end NP prevails .
Looking around I see these people and fans who had never given up on either team knowing that the outcome could go either way.
I just want to add that any player that took part in this game will never forget it as long as they live, someone has to win and someone has to loose but it was one of those games where everyone wins, I think, and what I mean by that is Cavalier let NP know that they are a true contender and NP lets Cavalier know that this year they are going to keep going.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby slugger4life » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 pm

heck of a game...cavalier came out in the 1st half and wanted the win...but a whole new north prairie team came in the second half and dominated...good job to both teams...NP goes on a plays langdon...who beat them 2 weeks ago..shud be a great game.
slugger4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 89Dragon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:49 am

Wasa heck of a rollar coaster ride wow. Glad I was there to see it. Great Job to Cavalier and great season Great Job to the Cavalier Crowd very loud.

Assume job Cougars you stepped up and proved the men you are.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoSioux10 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Yeah one heck of a game..the crowed was amazing for both teams, probably the loudest game i've ever been to...hats off to both teams :!:
GoSioux10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby toddjames » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Complete Stats and story from the Minot Daily

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 am

winner-within wrote:
toddjames wrote:I agree with A-Fanatic that this one is going to be a dogfight. North Prairie is as hard-nosed as they come and Cavalier is going to be playing with a chip on its shoulder from the blowout. Definitely not going to be any love lost here. I think North Prairie's defense is going to be a big key once again. If they can hold Cavalier to 12 or less the Cougars win. Playoff time is where the defense shines.

are put slightly different, playoff time is where the defense BETTER shine, other wise its homeward bound! for anyone left.

I think the pressure is on NP, they beat up on Cavalier real big during the regular season then Cavalier beat Langdon, then Langdon beat NP, Then to really throw a spin into everything Cavalier beats Linton. Things have to fall in place and Cavalier has to show up ready to play Football (and they will) but I thinK if your NP you don't know what to actually expect they could be saying, "well its snowing today, but on Saturday were going to be under a TORNADO WATCH" 8) :P

I guess that tornado must have blown through during the first half. Sounds like a wild game would've been a great one to watch to bad BEK sports didn't televise that game. I figured that Cavalier was gonna give NP all they could handle and they did congrats to both teams. To bad somebody had to lose.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:35 pm

A-Fanatic wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I guess that tornado must have blown through during the first half. Sounds like a wild game would've been a great one to watch to bad BEK sports didn't televise that game. I figured that Cavalier was gonna give NP all they could handle and they did congrats to both teams. To bad somebody had to lose.

It was a battle and the difference was in my opinion, Bonn, lets just say it was a Bonn fire that sent the Tornado back home.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby toddjames » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm

A Bonn fire! lol
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I listened to the whole game on the Radio and it was very entertaining. Good season Tornadoes.

Bonn Fire... nice. I agree with Winner-within. It seemed like everytime NP needed 5 yards for a first down, Bonn broke off about 8-9.

I hope that the fire that sent the Tornadoes back home burns hot and the Tornadoes don't forget this. I remember in 2001 when I was a Junior at Cavalier, we lost to Minot Ryan. We led 18-0 at halftime and got out played the whole second half and ended up losing 22-18. We had a solid group of Juniors on that team that lost and we never forgot that game. It pushed us to work hard enough that we never had to lose again. I hope that this loss has the same affect on this year's Tornadoes squad.

I heard that Cavalier High School has a brand new, $500,000 fitness center in their school... USE IT!!!!
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Wombat wrote:I listened to the whole game on the Radio and it was very entertaining. Good season Tornadoes.

Bonn Fire... nice. I agree with Winner-within. It seemed like every time NP needed 5 yards for a first down, Bonn broke off about 8-9.

I hope that the fire that sent the Tornadoes back home burns hot and the Tornadoes don't forget this. I remember in 2001 when I was a Junior at Cavalier, we lost to Minot Ryan. We led 18-0 at halftime and got out played the whole second half and ended up losing 22-18. We had a solid group of Juniors on that team that lost and we never forgot that game. It pushed us to work hard enough that we never had to lose again. I hope that this loss has the same affect on this year's Tornadoes squad.

I heard that Cavalier High School has a brand new, $500,000 fitness center in their school... USE IT!!!!

I was at that game too (2001), very similar scenario, Football, may be more than any other sport, a game of adjustments, NP made them and shazaam victory was the result, but I must add that in the playoffs protecting your lead wont be enough, but in this case it seemed Cavalier basically ran out of gas. There is a group of great players coming back next season and I am sure that they will be prepared.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 pm

It did seem from what I heard that Cavalier went to "protect" mode. They seemed to have ran the ball quite a bit more in the second half and it wasn't working, but on the other hand, give credit to NP because the pass wasn't working in the second half either.

Can someone who was at the game fill me in about the passing game in the second half? were the receivers not getting open? passes not finding the mark? getting dropped? pressure on the qb?.... what was the difference from the first half to the second?
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby comet34 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 pm

It was a mixture of everything but the coach went from a 3 man line back to a 4 man line letting Jake Miller and Jeff Decoteau get in Mack's face more, and i think Mack was getting a little uncomforable in the pocket.
comet34
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to A