Harvey at Velva Round 2

The teams in Class A

Harvey at Velva Round 2

Postby toddjames » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Here we go again.... Who you got and why? ...
Last meeting: Velva won in final regular season game 29-8 at home in a game that was much closer than the final score. Last year: Aggies beat Hornets in regular season, but Harvey comes back and beats them in the playoffs... should be another great game Saturday...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Harvey at Velva Round 2

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Were you at the Harvey Velva game this year? It was definately not closer than the score on the board. About the only thing that stopped Velva that Friday was their own penalties. Harvey needs to play much better on defense if they want to beat Velva. I do think Harvey is capable of better football than they showed that night and if they are then they need to show it this Saturday.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Velva,
why? this year they have Harvey's #
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby toddjames » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Yeah actually I was at the game.
Velva came out on fire and couldn't be stopped on their two opening drives but Harvey scores late in the first half to make it 14-8... Game stays that score through the third quarter and into the fourth... Velva scores a couple times in the last quarter to pull away... The game ends up 29-8 and to someone that wasn't there, it looks like it wasn't even a game at any point... which wasn't true, hence my statement that it was closer than the final score... Velva did end up winning decisively but a game that's 14-8 heading into the fourth can be considered a close game...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 am

I'm not sure what velva harvey game you were watching to end the regular season but velva controled both sides of the ball and probably had two scoring drives stopped by their own mistakes. Harvey only had one drive that they actually moved the ball and after that they didn't do much of anything. so if you want to say something the scoreboard was alot closer than the game on the field. This time I do expect a much closer game and trust me the Velva kids remember what happened last year and the playing conditions will be alot better than last year and kids that velva didn't have last year in the playoffs are playing this year the game will be a good one final score 20-8 Velva in a hard fought battle.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

toddjames wrote:Yeah actually I was at the game.
Velva came out on fire and couldn't be stopped on their two opening drives but Harvey scores late in the first half to make it 14-8... Game stays that score through the third quarter and into the fourth... Velva scores a couple times in the last quarter to pull away... The game ends up 29-8 and to someone that wasn't there, it looks like it wasn't even a game at any point... which wasn't true, hence my statement that it was closer than the final score... Velva did end up winning decisively but a game that's 14-8 heading into the fourth can be considered a close game...

I can see your point on the score going into the fourth quarter but realistically Velva was in control all night. Harvey put together one very impressive drive to make it a game at half time but after that they really didn't do anything. Either way you look at it it's a mood point because I think we can all remember what happened last year Velva won decisively in the regular season and Harvey came back with a shutout in the semi's. This weekend will be a great game and you can bet both teams will be at their best.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Undoubtedly this is going to be another great game. One would like to think that Velva's versatility in the running game is going to win outright once again, but you just never now with these two teams. Once again is going to come down to who plays the best football on Saturday afternoon....
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 pm

region3dominates wrote:I'm not sure what velva harvey game you were watching to end the regular season but velva controled both sides of the ball and probably had two scoring drives stopped by their own mistakes. Harvey only had one drive that they actually moved the ball and after that they didn't do much of anything. so if you want to say something the scoreboard was alot closer than the game on the field. This time I do expect a much closer game and trust me the Velva kids remember what happened last year and the playing conditions will be alot better than last year and kids that velva didn't have last year in the playoffs are playing this year the game will be a good one final score 20-8 Velva in a hard fought battle.

Like I said just above your last post, Velva did win decisively but the score was close until the fourth. Sure Velva had some mistakes that helped keep it close, but it was still close either way. What if? Now I hate using the What If? scenario but what if Harvey would have gotten the ball on that fumble that was ruled down. Looked like the kid that picked it up was going to run it back for a touchdown, but even if they got the ball right there and then went down and scored Harvey takes a possible 16-14 lead with 2-point con. or ties it at 14-14. It's funny to think that a team can dominate a game and still lose but it happens. Fact of the matter is though Velva won that game and it was decisive. If they come out and play like they did those first two drives of that game, the whole way Saturday... could be a blowout. Should be a great game... I think Velva is going to exact some revenge from last year, because like you said they remember what that loss felt like and I think it's been a driving force for them this year...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Having not been at the game and only able to read the article about the game and now the threads I hear two sides of the story. I understand that the game (score-wise) was close until the fourth quarter. Did Harvey have any sustained drives that went deep into Velva territory before stalling that may have turned this game around? I know there waqs some controversy about a fumble recovery but I also read in the Minot paper that Harvey intercepted a pass shortly after the fumble in question so did it play a big part in Harvey's game? I would like to know which end of the field the game was played on and who really controlled the game on the line.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 pm

It was a close score through four but Velva did control most of the game. They outgained Harvey 352-154 in total offense, so that tells a lot right there. The fumble call was negated by the interception but it looked like Harvey also might have ran the fumble back, but that's neither here nor there at this point. Harvey's only real successful drive was the one they scored on in the second quarter. I think they went 90 yards for the score. Weinmann finished with 93 yards and most of them came on that drive. I guess one of the main deciding factors was Velva's passing game. Mack had almost 200 through the air, so if the weather is good Saturday, or even if not, I think that will play a factor again...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 am

toddjames wrote:It was a close score through four but Velva did control most of the game. They outgained Harvey 352-154 in total offense, so that tells a lot right there. The fumble call was negated by the interception but it looked like Harvey also might have ran the fumble back, but that's neither here nor there at this point. Harvey's only real successful drive was the one they scored on in the second quarter. I think they went 90 yards for the score. Weinmann finished with 93 yards and most of them came on that drive. I guess one of the main deciding factors was Velva's passing game. Mack had almost 200 through the air, so if the weather is good Saturday, or even if not, I think that will play a factor again...

I don't know how much the weather will affect the passing game of Velva. Most of Macks passes were short passes in the flat. Velva took advantage of Harvey's right cornerback all night long he was giving them a 15 yard cushion all night and Velva took it! As far as that fumble was concerned nobody was going to run with it because they were all laying on the ground and as we all know in highschool football if your knee touches you're down. However, in my opinion the officials did screw up giving the ball back to Velva after they had initially given it to Harvey. They moved the chains and everything. If one of the officials had seen something different he should have said so right away instead of after the fact. I thought when that happened that it might light a fire in Harvey but the only ones from Harvey that appeared fired up were the fans. It was quite the hostile environment for a while and I have to admit if I was from Harvey I probably would've been fired up to.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 pm

By reading the responses in this thread it sounds as if the score was close, but the game never was.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Flip wrote:By reading the responses in this thread it sounds as if the score was close, but the game never was.

For the most part Velva controlled the game and kept Harvey to 2nd and 3rd down with 7 or more yards to go most of the night. When Harvey was successful on first down they were able to move the chains. Harvey's quarterback didn't throw the ball very well which didn't help them on long yardage situations he'll need to have a better day for Harvey to beat Velva. By contrast Velva made very few mistakes and moved the ball very effectively right through the middle of Harvey's defense. That helped the passing game and Mack was very efficient that night. If Velva turns out another performance like that night it'll be a long day for Harvey. I expect Harvey will play better on Saturday and it'll be a closer game.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 am

After watching the KXMC.com threads on the games Harvey is saying that they came out flat and not ready to play the game at the end of the regular season. They feel they are ready for the game on Saturday. Could be a dandy of a game, wish I could be there.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Shocker » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:38 pm

18-12 Velva Final score.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:27 pm

This was another great game between these two teams, very hard hitting! I know Velva's Jordan Weidler got his bell rung a couple times. Harvey played much more inspired this time and they almost came away with the win. Velva in my opinion was the more consistent team offensively but they could never put it away. When Harvey needed to they seemed to come up with the big play and keep themselves in the game. Their first touchdown was a blown coverage by Velva and the receiver just had to side step a desperation tackle by the safety and he was gone, but that's part of the game. Velva seemed to be in control for a lot of the game but there really wasn't any breathing room. After Velva got their first TD Harvey seemed to be hanging their heads and it looked like Velva was gonna be able to put it away especially after going up 12-0. But Harvey answered back with that big pass play and got right back in the game. After Velva scored on a nice drive in the fourth it looked again like Velva had things pretty well under control but Harvey took it to the house in about 3 minutes with some big plays and a costly penalty by Velva. They forced Velva to punt on a 3 and out and got the ball back at about the fifty yard line. Looked like Harvey was gonna pull it out but Velva came up big on defense to seal the win. This was a really good game the fans were intense and the play was intense. My hats off to Harvey they played a much better game just came up a little short. Velva will be tough to beat next week playing at home.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Return to A