So what happened in Linton?

The teams in Class A

So what happened in Linton?

Postby BigNorsk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:02 am

It doesn't shock me that Cavalier won. But it does shock me the game was such a low score.

What happened? Were the defenses that good or did the teams shoot themselves in the foot with poor execution and penalties?

I didn't expect Linton to have the playoff jitters, but it seems almost like they must have.

Anyway, if someone was there or has some insight I'd sure be interested in hearing it.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Re: So what happened in Linton?

Postby winner-within » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:08 pm

BigNorsk wrote:It doesn't shock me that Cavalier won. But it does shock me the game was such a low score.

What happened? Were the defenses that good or did the teams shoot themselves in the foot with poor execution and penalties?

I didn't expect Linton to have the playoff jitters, but it seems almost like they must have.

Anyway, if someone was there or has some insight I'd sure be interested in hearing it.

Big Time jitters with both teams, Refs may have been alittle Tiky Taky but that was not even an underlying story Line, mistakes were indeed made, the botom line was If in fact Cav had not fumbled the Football on the opening kick off Linton may been held scoreless, Cavaliers D is for real.
It was Smash Mouth football with a few Finess plays and three real timely picks by Cavalier, I know all about Linton's passion for Sports but I think Cavalier may be coming together (peaking) right when you need to be.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:52 pm

the defenses were both pretty good, but cavalier shot themselves in the foot real bad twice. 1)fumbling the opening kickoff 2) First and 10 inside Linton's 20 and then getting penalties making it 4th and 49
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 5-time state chump » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:50 pm

winner-within wrote: Cavaliers D is for real.

So what happened vs. North Prairie? Wasn't the final 50-0 (NP)?

I'm not in a Class A community (AA), so I don't follow Class A that close. I do know of Cavaliers fb history (we played them often when they were Class B). I never thought I'd see the day where they got beat 50-0.

I've seen teams turn it around...but never from a 50 point loss. I know Hillsboro started 0-2 and has won 8 games straight, and avenged the loss vs. one of the teams that beat them, and I fully expect them to avenge their other loss this Saturday. The thing is, they were missing 3 KEY players during those 2 losses.

I guess it'd be neat to see Cavalier avenge this loss---especially it being such a turnaround...(50 points)....but...how can they do it? What has changed---or what happened in that game? Were they even full strength?

Also....does anyone have Mack's stats for the year? (passing yds/tds/ints)

Thanks.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:13 am

5-time state chump wrote:
winner-within wrote: Cavaliers D is for real.

So what happened vs. North Prairie? Wasn't the final 50-0 (NP)?

I'm not in a Class A community (AA), so I don't follow Class A that close. I do know of Cavaliers fb history (we played them often when they were Class B). I never thought I'd see the day where they got beat 50-0.

I've seen teams turn it around...but never from a 50 point loss. I know Hillsboro started 0-2 and has won 8 games straight, and avenged the loss vs. one of the teams that beat them, and I fully expect them to avenge their other loss this Saturday. The thing is, they were missing 3 KEY players during those 2 losses.

I guess it'd be neat to see Cavalier avenge this loss---especially it being such a turnaround...(50 points)....but...how can they do it? What has changed---or what happened in that game? Were they even full strength?

Also....does anyone have Mack's stats for the year? (passing yds/tds/ints)

Thanks.

Well let me say this, If your going to quote one of my post then you have to quote the whole thing, I went on to say they are coming together real nice.
NP is tough, tough enough to Challenge even Velva, in fact I think they could give any team polled higher than them a great contest, I will go on to say the Cav game against NP is history, the Ruby-Cavalier game (also a shut out) is also history, I wont talk about the regular season its over and now teams are moving on to the State Quarter Finals.
I will say that
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 am

winner-within wrote:I will go on to say the Cav game against NP is history, the Ruby-Cavalier game (also a shut out) is also history, I wont talk about the regular season its over and now teams are moving on to the State Quarter Finals.
I will say that

Yea..i didnt quote your whole post. i just have one thing to say....this is a message board for discussion. As to discuss opinions on teams, players, adjustments and imporvements made. Yea, the past is the past. but I'm curious as well to what changes a team made to go from a 50-0 loss to having a D that is "for real"...what happened that game compared to the Linton game? do you not have an opinion...if you have nothing to share with the rest of the board other then the information everyone already knows without adding an opinion of your own..why are you here? just wondering...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 89Dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 am

Perhaps it's not so much that the Cavalier D is for real as much as it is NP is a real good team. Perhaps, just perhaps more credit needs to be given to them.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 am

89Dragon wrote:Perhaps it's not so much that the Cavalier D is for real as much as it is NP is a real good team. Perhaps, just perhaps more credit needs to be given to them.

I dont see how it can be both. yes, maybe NP is a real good team, but if your D gives up 50....its not "for real"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby region3dominates » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am

Myself I think cavalier is just showing the tradition that they have always had with coaches that have the kids ready for playoffs. I don't think that NP is that great they only beat lewis&clarck our redeemers 12-9 and velva whooped up on lcor. Maybe the west is just that much stronger than the east. We will find out for sure at the fargodome.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Guy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:01 pm

In the hearld it said Cavalier had 131 yards rushing and 192 yards passing for a total of 323 yards. It had 38 yards passing and 50 yards rushing for a total of 88 yards for Linton. If this is right its hard to believe the game was that close.
Big Guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Big Guy wrote:In the hearld it said Cavalier had 131 yards rushing and 192 yards passing for a total of 323 yards. It had 38 yards passing and 50 yards rushing for a total of 88 yards for Linton. If this is right its hard to believe the game was that close.

penalties made it close. cavalier had to have close to 125 yards in penalties
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm

baseball wrote:
89Dragon wrote:Perhaps it's not so much that the Cavalier D is for real as much as it is NP is a real good team. Perhaps, just perhaps more credit needs to be given to them.

I dont see how it can be both. yes, maybe NP is a real good team, but if your D gives up 50....its not "for real"

Its was for real against Linton they held them to 138 total yards and Linton has some of the best athletes in the State, the reason I stated "cavalier's D is for real" is because somebody may think that its not because of the 2 losses where they did not show any D to speak of but when picking them to beat Linton I considered their D from the other times I had seen them play, nobody else picked Cavalier on this site to win in the first round. And in regards to the topic "what happen in Linton" the answer is, they Lost and that's what I figured they would do that's why I picked Cavalier.

once again hats off to Linton, I know some great people from there!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Have no clue on Cavalier, but here is my quess. Had some early problems with the loss of their coach under some unfortunately circumstances. Probably had some injuries to key players. They are peaking at the right time of the year, the end versus the beginning. Sound about right? Have to give them credit. 9 to 6 at Linton. Pretty impressive.
bigpoppakdog

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 pm

baseball wrote:

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:I will go on to say the Cav game against NP is history, the Ruby-Cavalier game (also a shut out) is also history, I wont talk about the regular season its over and now teams are moving on to the State Quarter Finals.
I will say that

Yea..i didnt quote your whole post. i just have one thing to say....this is a message board for discussion. As to discuss opinions on teams, players, adjustments and imporvements made. Yea, the past is the past. but I'm curious as well to what changes a team made to go from a 50-0 loss to having a D that is "for real"...what happened that game compared to the Linton game? do you not have an opinion...if you have nothing to share with the rest of the board other then the information everyone already knows without adding an opinion of your own..why are you here? just wondering...

Hey Baseball, they turned you into a Mod, Wow! thats cool, although I might like you better as 5-time-state chump your not so degrading in that form, and by the way Red Ink is not intimidating to me,
So if your demanding I stroke your curiousity I'll go this route, "what changes a team made to go from 50-0 loss to having a D that is, "for real?" I'm sorry I dont understand that question.
next question-" what happened that game compared to the Linton game?" answer-the Linton game mattered is my answer, may not be the coaches answer.
"do you not have an opinion?" answer- I gave it, I said the past is the past, problem is you don't much care for that opinion.
Then comes the degrading "I offer this board info everyone already knows" well I disagree Baseball, you see, I spend allot of time defending teams and players others like to derank, (yep, I lean towards the underdog, unless I feel its cut a dried) I've never much liked when somebody tried to make you feel uncomparable so I will post my posts and you can Mod them. :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

you think I'm 5 time state chump? haha ok...please give your basis on why you think that?

"what changes has a team made to go from a 50-0 loss to having a D that is for real?" how do you not understand that question? its pretty simple...a defense that gives up 50 points is not for real...so what changes did they make to get that status?

the Linton game mattered....yea, cuz i gaurantee the coaches and players took the regular season game as a glorified practice and didnt even bother to give 50% effort. Have you ever played competetive sports before or just t-ball and physical ed?

the past is the past is not an opinion. its a cliche use by a person with selective memory who doesnt wnat to remember bad but only the good.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:09 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

baseball wrote:
I will say that

Hey Baseball, they turned you into a Mod, Wow! thats cool, although I might like you better as 5-time-state chump your not so degrading in that form, and by the way Red Ink is not intimidating to me,
So if your demanding I stroke your curiousity I'll go this route, "what changes a team made to go from 50-0 loss to having a D that is, "for real?" I'm sorry I dont understand that question.
next question-" what happened that game compared to the Linton game?" answer-the Linton game mattered is my answer, may not be the coaches answer.
"do you not have an opinion?" answer- I gave it, I said the past is the past, problem is you don't much care for that opinion.
Then comes the degrading "I offer this board info everyone already knows" well I disagree Baseball, you see, I spend allot of time defending teams and players others like to derank, (yep, I lean towards the underdog, unless I feel its cut a dried) I've never much liked when somebody tried to make you feel uncomparable so I will post my posts and you can Mod them. :wink:

No one (not me, nor "baseball") is trying to degrade anything that I can see. You are just defensive about everything. I'm not from the Cavalier area. I don't know about what happened or didn't. I can only see scores. I'm ROOTING FOR CAVALIER just because I'd like to see a team turn things around and overcome obstacles that require effort, hard work, etc. I only asked...because I DO WONDER...and so does the other guy....what has changed...or what happened that game. Don't jump down someone throat for asking. Maybe someone else will provide an answer other than "what happened in the past is done". We know that.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm

baseball wrote:
I will say that

This post is why, Baseball
I asked why dont you quote my whole post to {5-time state champ} and you replied with this post, I wasnt talking to you, so naturally I thought you were him in incognito, Whatever!!.
Anyway I'll make a deal with you, you give me your opinion on why Cav gives up 50 and then knocks off one of the west's fav's then I'll give you mine.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 pm

So because a person quotes your post after another user name does that makes them the same person? good logic you go there...

I'm from a 9-man town and know very little about Linton this year and even less about cavalier...but a few possibilities. Can't tell a ton by the box score, but judging by my knowledge of Linton teams in the past, if they are struggling to move the ball in the air, they will have to fight hard for that win. L-HMB - Brady Weber 6-19-3, 54 yards....didnt exactly torch them with the pass. While Cavalier was able to move the ball in the air. C - Mack 13-18-0, 181 yards. I'm guessing by the box that cavalier dared LHMB to throw the ball by loading the box with defenders...28 carries for 68 yards. If you cant complete a pass, and the defense is loading the box against the run...its gonna be tough to win.

your turn...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trish » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Both teams played good defense. Linton scored after they recovered a fumble on the 30 on the opening kickoff. Cavalier then scored after they recovered a fumble at the 25. The only offense in the game was a wide reciever screen pass that the tornadoes ran a dozen times and linton didn't defend it well. Hats off to Cavalier they came to play.
Trish
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:54 am

Trish wrote:Both teams played good defense. Linton scored after they recovered a fumble on the 30 on the opening kickoff. Cavalier then scored after they recovered a fumble at the 25. The only offense in the game was a wide reciever screen pass that the tornadoes ran a dozen times and linton didn't defend it well. Hats off to Cavalier they came to play.

Excellent analysis!
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 am

baseball wrote:So because a person quotes your post after another user name does that makes them the same person? good logic you go there...

I'm from a 9-man town and know very little about Linton this year and even less about cavalier...but a few possibilities. Can't tell a ton by the box score, but judging by my knowledge of Linton teams in the past, if they are struggling to move the ball in the air, they will have to fight hard for that win. L-HMB - Brady Weber 6-19-3, 54 yards....didnt exactly torch them with the pass. While Cavalier was able to move the ball in the air. C - Mack 13-18-0, 181 yards. I'm guessing by the box that cavalier dared LHMB to throw the ball by loading the box with defenders...28 carries for 68 yards. If you cant complete a pass, and the defense is loading the box against the run...its gonna be tough to win.

your turn...

If you know nothing about Cavalier then why are you on here trying to dis their Defence

also I was pertaining to your opinion on the NP-Cav (50-0) game, but I'll do this, your analysis on Linton Cav game is right , Weber could have been a huge hometown Hero that day but he underestimated the speed of Cavs secondary, hence "D is for real".
Cav went into that game with two loses, both were away, both were crappy weather, basically they started off on the wrong foot and stayed there, fact is, it means their capable of this scenario, problem is, there is no Coach in the State that's going to expect them to play that way from here on out regardless of weather, so thats where I come up with leave it alone.
Although if we must brush on it we could say that Cav shut out Langdon ("D is for real") then Langdon beat NP, makes Np beatable. Cavalier has a real nice team, so does NP, in a dome I may have to lean Cavalier, in Crappy weather, well we know what happen last time, time will tell if it happens this time.
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 am

Both teams play in crappy weather, that shouldn't be an excuse for why one team does good and the other struggles. I'm tired of hearing that excuse.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:37 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Both teams play in crappy weather, that shouldn't be an excuse for why one team does good and the other struggles. I'm tired of hearing that excuse.

C'mon. You build your team around the type of athletes you have. If you have one team that passes the ball with smaller athletes and speed, and one team with big linemen and big backs, which team do you want going into a cold, wet, windy day?

It makes a huge difference.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:12 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Both teams play in crappy weather, that shouldn't be an excuse for why one team does good and the other struggles. I'm tired of hearing that excuse.

Not an excuse, crappy weather just seems to coincide with both losses this season, actually more of a reality and remember Baseball said he needed my opinion otherwise I never offer anyhthing to this Forum 8)

but now you have me thinking, lets see, Saturday sounds like Crappy weather you have to lay down $20, Who ya taking ndlionsman!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:31 pm

NP's defense played in the same crappy weather and pitched a shutout. And yes I know Cavalier has more of a passing offense but what is the weather like every october in ND? Your chances of having the weather cooperate for your passing game are very slim. Every coach knows they're going to have to run the ball well to make it to the dome. Weather cannot be an excuse for a loss!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to A