So what happened in Linton?

The teams in Class A

Re: So what happened in Linton?

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Have to read the previous post, should have Quoted

Nope it can't, but your saying it can be a hindrance to a passing team,right?
might explain a couple losses that theTornadoes encountered, its really really really simple, when Saturday rolls around and the Tornadoes venture out west to Rollette, they better have a differnt face on then when they rolled into Rolla during thre regular season, and if its raining and snowing and blowing and they loose, you wont here me making excuses.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am

Oh, I agree completely that the weather can be an advantage for one team in a game. And i'm sure that was the case the first time these two teams played. My point is that you can't just say we lost that game because we played in bad weather. Both teams play in the same conditions and have to make adjustments to their game plans. It might be easier for one team to adjust than the other. But the weather cannot be the only reason why you lost. I'm sure Cavalier has made some adjustments and learned from that last game and I would be shocked if it was another blowout this time around.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 am

ndlionsfan wrote:NP's defense played in the same crappy weather and pitched a shutout. And yes I know Cavalier has more of a passing offense but what is the weather like every october in ND? Your chances of having the weather cooperate for your passing game are very slim. Every coach knows they're going to have to run the ball well to make it to the dome. Weather cannot be an excuse for a loss!

Do you honestly believe this?

Well, if ND coaches could implement a system and recruit/draft players like college/NFL to fit into their system, then you are 100% correct. Be pass happy on fair weather days and run the ball and control the line of scrimmage on cold, wet, windy days. I think we all know that this isn't the case. You build your team around the kids that you have. It would be great to have x10 - 230 lb linemen and x3 - 200 lb backs to be able to run the ball "come October". I am sure that in AAA and AA football in ND, they have enough kids that they can probably keep the same system in place for a number of years. But I am willing to bet that they even adjust their system to the type of athletes that come through. Slightly different scenario in A and 9-man. If you don't have the horses in the barn to do it, you can sit and preach on here all you want but it simply isn't going to happen.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 am

What are Mack's season passing stats? Anyone have that?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 am

classB4ever wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:NP's defense played in the same crappy weather and pitched a shutout. And yes I know Cavalier has more of a passing offense but what is the weather like every october in ND? Your chances of having the weather cooperate for your passing game are very slim. Every coach knows they're going to have to run the ball well to make it to the dome. Weather cannot be an excuse for a loss!

Well, if ND coaches could implement a system and recruit/draft players like college/NFL to fit into their system, then you are 100% correct. Be pass happy on fair weather days and run the ball and control the line of scrimmage on cold, wet, windy days. I think we all know that this isn't the case. You build your team around the kids that you have. It would be great to have x10 - 230 lb linemen and x3 - 200 lb backs to be able to run the ball "come October". I am sure that in AAA and AA football in ND, they have enough kids that they can probably keep the same system in place for a number of years. But I am willing to bet that they even adjust their system to the type of athletes that come through. Slightly different scenario in A and 9-man. If you don't have the horses in the barn to do it, you can sit and preach on here all you want but it simply isn't going to happen.

No kidding you build your team/scheme around the kids you have and play to your team's strengths. My only point is that everyone knows what the weather is like in ND in october. Some teams live and die by the pass which gives them a lot of success and that might be their only option based on the athletes they have, but you also have to roll the dice and know it could hurt you come playoff time. Don't make a stupid excuse that you lost the game because of the weather.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigNorsk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 am

bus must have Mack's and Pfiefer's stats, he made the statement that Mack has lot more than Pfeifer in lots of categories so I was kind of waiting to hear them myself. I wouldn't think someone would make such a statement if he didn't have the stats.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
classB4ever wrote:

No kidding you build your team/scheme around the kids you have and play to your team's strengths. My only point is that everyone knows what the weather is like in ND in october. Some teams live and die by the pass which gives them a lot of success and that might be their only option based on the athletes they have, but you also have to roll the dice and know it could hurt you come playoff time. Don't make a stupid excuse that you lost the game because of the weather.

You can call it a "stupid excuse", a reason or just a plain fact. Of course you know that it is going to hurt you. You play the hand you are dealt, knowing full well it is probably going to bite you in the butt late in the year.
The discussion started with you stating
ndlionsfan wrote:Both teams play in crappy weather, that shouldn't be an excuse for why one team does good and the other struggles. I'm tired of hearing that excuse.

So if a team knows that they don't have a big controlling line and a big stud running back, then why even play the season, right?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
classB4ever wrote:

ndlionfan wrote
No kidding you build your team/scheme around the kids you have and play to your team's strengths. My only point is that everyone knows what the weather is like in ND in october. Some teams live and die by the pass which gives them a lot of success and that might be their only option based on the athletes they have, but you also have to roll the dice and know it could hurt you come playoff time. Don't make a stupid excuse that you lost the game because of the weather.[/quote

Winner-Within wrote:
First of all your putting words in somebody's mouth because I have read through this Topic now 10 times and I don't see one post that anybody used weather as an excuse, maybe your saying you have seen it used in the past but if you are than please state that, use a game from you archives in your head to make that point, Example: 2007 state championship so in so played so in so and the fans from the loosing team kept using Mother Nature as the Excuse!!

In any climate you need Talent and these two particular teams have it, who do you think the pressure is on the team that won the last match up by 50 or the team that lost it, Hmmm Its easier to fumble the Ball for the running team in wet weather, I'd rather pass it (Brady's 5 td's in one Quarter while snowing in New England)) Its a cross wind that kills the pass so lets find out what which way the field sits and which way the wind is going to be blowing, and just play Football, I think the elements make for a great test in themselves for young player's I think the Dome thing is dumb for highschool Football because of the difference in conditions on the path to the Dome (personal opinion).
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby 89Dragon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:40 am

:shock: this topic is way to long.... Linton Lost Cavalier won.... Next.... :arrow:
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 pm

winner-within wrote:If you know nothing about Cavalier then why are you on here trying to dis their Defence

also I was pertaining to your opinion on the NP-Cav (50-0) game, but I'll do this, your analysis on Linton Cav game is right , Weber could have been a huge hometown Hero that day but he underestimated the speed of Cavs secondary, hence "D is for real".
Cav went into that game with two loses, both were away, both were crappy weather, basically they started off on the wrong foot and stayed there, fact is, it means their capable of this scenario, problem is, there is no Coach in the State that's going to expect them to play that way from here on out regardless of weather, so thats where I come up with leave it alone.
Although if we must brush on it we could say that Cav shut out Langdon ("D is for real") then Langdon beat NP, makes Np beatable. Cavalier has a real nice team, so does NP, in a dome I may have to lean Cavalier, in Crappy weather, well we know what happen last time, time will tell if it happens this time.

This is the post that got me started in this conversation. I know it isn't anything about the Linton/Cavalier game but it sounded to me you were making excuses for Cavalier's other two losses being in crappy weather. I could have read it wrong the first time around. I've just read too many posts this fall where people blame their loss on the weather or poor field conditions instead of just giving the other team some credit.

Back on topic, Cavalier must have played one heck of a game against Linton. I see the rematch with NP being much closer than the last meeting, but I still see NP winning by 10+
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:If you know nothing about Cavalier then why are you on here trying to dis their Defence

also I was pertaining to your opinion on the NP-Cav (50-0) game, but I'll do this, your analysis on Linton Cav game is right , Weber could have been a huge hometown Hero that day but he underestimated the speed of Cavs secondary, hence "D is for real".
Cav went into that game with two loses, both were away, both were crappy weather, basically they started off on the wrong foot and stayed there, fact is, it means their capable of this scenario, problem is, there is no Coach in the State that's going to expect them to play that way from here on out regardless of weather, so thats where I come up with leave it alone.
Although if we must brush on it we could say that Cav shut out Langdon ("D is for real") then Langdon beat NP, makes Np beatable. Cavalier has a real nice team, so does NP, in a dome I may have to lean Cavalier, in Crappy weather, well we know what happen last time, time will tell if it happens this time.

This is the post that got me started in this conversation. I know it isn't anything about the Linton/Cavalier game but it sounded to me you were making excuses for Cavalier's other two losses being in crappy weather. I could have read it wrong the first time around. I've just read too many posts this fall where people blame their loss on the weather or poor field conditions instead of just giving the other team some credit.

Back on topic, Cavalier must have played one heck of a game against Linton. I see the rematch with NP being much closer than the last meeting, but I still see NP winning by 10+

I can see where you were mislead and I agree, weather has been used as an excuse but not by me, I grew up playing basketball in a snow bank, so I'd better not here the weather for an excuse either!
I was knocked off the topic track during this thread when someone brought up the big whooping that took place in Rolla and then Baseball got involved and decided to try and intimidate me (sort of tacky coming from a Mod)).

Cavalier made some mistakes and the nerves were in full force but in the end stuck together and made some huge defensive stops and picks and then a field Goal and the game was over. I'm going to say that I also agree with the next match up being closer scoring wise. Cavalier 20, Np 18
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 pm

since when is asking for something of relevance trying to be intimidating....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Da Beast » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:09 pm

heres what i think happened to Linton.... THEY LOST :shock:
Da Beast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 pm

another solid contribution...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 pm

baseball wrote:another solid contribution...

and another slam from the Big Dog!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 pm

slam?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to A