Playoff Upsets

The teams in Class A

Playoff Upsets

Postby 89Dragon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Based On seeds...

Which No. 4's Have the best chance to Knock off a No. 1? which Number 3 has the best chance to Knock off a number 2?

I would guess Cavalier and Harvey Have the Best Chance. I know it's a new season.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Playoff Upsets

Postby bus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:21 pm

agreed
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm

scc wrote:I'll agree with Harvey. Linton-HMB won't lose to Cavalier in the first round.

why not they have an almost identical record.....same amount of wins but Cavalier has one more loss.
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:28 am

Linton hasn't lost to a north dakota team this year
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 am

region 1 ain't exactly stacked with any powerful teams, but whatever.
Last edited by bus on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

bus wrote:region 1 ain't exactly stacked with any powerful teams

I don't know a lot about region 1 but it sure seemed like region 2 was pretty balanced this year I think Cavalier could pull an upset in Linton but they better bring their A game to do it!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballuvr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:58 pm

bus wrote:region 1 ain't exactly stacked with any powerful teams, but whatever.

What's the basis for that statement? Some common opponents? Top 4 in Region 1 are pretty decent. Not saying any will win or not, just curious why you knock Region 1.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Whapeton_State_07 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:59 pm

cubsfan wrote:Linton hasn't lost to a north dakota team this year

cavaliers loses has been the worst games they have played all year they beat the number one seed this season (langdon) and i think they will upset linton if they play like they did against langdon
Whapeton_State_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BigNorsk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Well, you never know how teams match up until they play. Cavalier is a pretty good team. If their big guys can get them a couple of yards when they really need it. They could do very well.

I do expect Linton to win, but Cavalier wouldn't shock me.

The next game, Oaks vs Rugby, that's the one I can't decide. I kind of lean towards Rugby, but they better have their defense show up this time. It kind of comes down to can Oaks stop Rugby's pitch to their running back? They'll probably get to see that all day.

LaMoure might match up well against North Prairie, heard their line is big but haven't seen them play.

I think Milnor just lacks the tools to be a big threat to Langdon.

In the west, I don't see Watford City or Velva seriously challenged. The Hazen-Harvey game is the one I haven't a clue who wins. I believe Williams county is going to handle New Salem without too much trouble.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Cavalier likes their home field, has trouble playing in the elements this year it seems (NP and Rugby),if and I say if they play like they did against Langdon they would be tough to beat even by the best teams in 1A.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Lights Out2 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:20 pm

winner-within wrote:

Cavalier likes their home field, has trouble playing in the elements this year it seems (NP and Rugby),if and I say if they play like they did against Langdon they would be tough to beat even by the best teams in 1A.

That was the best their defense played but there offense was horrible against Langdon. They couldve put up more points on them easily.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
Lights Out2
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:59 am

Lights Out2 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

That was the best their defense played but there offense was horrible against Langdon. They couldve put up more points on them easily.

well Defense wins championships, and 40 points of O is plenty with great D, you dont run the score up on a team thats right down the highway 30 miles, especially when their starting quarterback left the game on a stretcher with a season ending concussion. Cavalier played a great game on homecoming night against Langdon, Hats off to their season!! and good luck in the playoff's. :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby a-simple-fan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

winner-within wrote:
Lights Out2 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

well Defense wins championships, and 40 points of O is plenty with great D, you dont run the score up on a team thats right down the highway 30 miles, especially when their starting quarterback left the game on a stretcher with a season ending concussion. Cavalier played a great game on homecoming night against Langdon, Hats off to their season!! and good luck in the playoff's. :D

Wasn't the final score 20-0?
a-simple-fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby mjwanab » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:14 pm

a-simple-fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Lights Out2 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Yes, the final score was 20-0.
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 pm

mjwanab wrote:
a-simple-fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Lights Out2 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

my mistake, I knew that, anyway point being Cav played outstanding, Defense was bang on! and Dillon T's kick off return to start the game was awesome, to many times on this forum these games are won and lost before they play, I was the only one to pick Cavalier to win that match up and I did it right before the game on this site, nobody said, gees you were right but everybody is quick to say when a person is wrong i think the comp is tougher up in this corner than what Linton has faced and I say Cav can win this match up if they are on top of their game plan, I don't consider it a upset either I consider it the first round of the playoff's and like Boomer say's on Sunday nights "that's why they play the Game" :D

winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Lights Out2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:57 pm

winner-within wrote:
mjwanab wrote:
a-simple-fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Lights Out2 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

my mistake, I knew that, anyway point being Cav played outstanding, Defense was bang on! and Dillon T's kick off return to start the game was awesome, to many times on this forum these games are won and lost before they play, I was the only one to pick Cavalier to win that match up and I did it right before the game on this site, nobody said, gees you were right but everybody is quick to say when a person is wrong i think the comp is tougher up in this corner than what Linton has faced and I say Cav can win this match up if they are on top of their game plan, I don't consider it a upset either I consider it the first round of the playoff's and like Boomer say's on Sunday nights "that's why they play the Game" :D

Just a correction Trosen didnt score on the kickoff it was the first play from scrimmage. He had a 72 yard run for the first touchdown.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
Lights Out2
NDPreps Starter

Postby 89Dragon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 am

The reason I picked both Harvey and Cavalier was both teams prove you need to show up to beat them.

Don't look at Cavaliers loss to NP as a sign of weakness. NP played a heck of a game. It was a game that you could feel had Cavalier got on a roll, it could have been a different out come. Their offensive set is made to steam roll opponents. They are much stronger then a typical 4th seed.

Harvey, being the defending champs, still need to be beat in the playoffs before they can be discounted.

In either game Linton and Hazen would do well not to look to past these teams if so they will find themselves on the wrong end of the good game hand shakes.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BigNorsk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 pm

I would agree that Cavalier is a much better 4th place team than one would normally encounter.

They really got taken out of their game against NP. I don't think they ever all season didn't get a yard on 4th down when they needed it.

And for some reason, their receivers would be right there but the ball was always just a bit too far out of reach. Add a few of the 20 yard receptions they tried back into the game and it could have been very different.

Their loss to Rugby was right after the coaching change. Bad timing. Couple of weeks to get organized after the change and I'm not so sure Rugby would have still beat them.

Going to be pretty nice relative football weather in Linton on Saturday. If Cavalier shows up with their passing game, Linton will have their hands full. Cavalier doesn't seem to handle difficulties well but I can't think of any difficulties other than that bus ride on Saturday.

There's also the revenge factor in Saturday's game. If they beat Linton and NP wins I believe the two will play again in the second round. I know if I'm Cavalier I'd really, really want another shot at NP.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfanatic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 pm

89Dragon wrote:The reason I picked both Harvey and Cavalier was both teams prove you need to show up to beat them.

Don't look at Cavaliers loss to NP as a sign of weakness. NP played a heck of a game. It was a game that you could feel had Cavalier got on a roll, it could have been a different out come. Their offensive set is made to steam roll opponents. They are much stronger then a typical 4th seed.

Harvey, being the defending champs, still need to be beat in the playoffs before they can be discounted.

In either game Linton and Hazen would do well not to look to past these teams if so they will find themselves on the wrong end of the good game hand shakes.

Why would Hazen look past the 2 time defending State A champions?? If you think they are doing that, then you don't know much about that team. No way their coaches allow them to look past anyone, especially a team of Harvey's caliber.
ndfbfanatic
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 89Dragon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:24 pm

:lol: Whoa settle down Sparky I said IF they do. If they don't fine and it will still be a good game.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfbfanatic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Excuse me Sparky, but you must really be ignorant to think that teams like Linton and Hazen would look past anyone. For you to even make that statemen, even if you preface it by saying "if" is rather ignorant. Because "if" would lead most people on here to think that they might, and that will not happen from either Coach I or Coach P.
ndfbfanatic
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 am

ndfbfanatic wrote:Excuse me Sparky, but you must really be ignorant to think that teams like Linton and Hazen would look past anyone. For you to even make that statemen, even if you preface it by saying "if" is rather ignorant. Because "if" would lead most people on here to think that they might, and that will not happen from either Coach I or Coach P.

well hopefully the players and coaches are not influenced by the smack talkers on this site cause most games are won before they even play the game and I think thats what dragon is pertaining to, I have noticed that as the games approach then the level of doubt (of picking the winner) increases.
we know that these coaches and players are well rehearsed and that you must take one Saturday at a time thats why I will always stress that Seeds mean nothing undefeated means a little more but anything can and will happen if your not prepared.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 am

Don't you think that this time of year that all teams will be prepared? I think if you ask most coaches they'll tell you the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Results from region 3 and 4.
Watford City 21 DLB 12
Harvey 20 Hazen 19
Williams County 20 New Salem 0
Velva 39 Heart River 0
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 pm

A-Fanatic wrote:Don't you think that this time of year that all teams will be prepared? I think if you ask most coaches they'll tell you the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

you know what I think, I dont think you know that much about football, cause todays game between Cav and linton had nothing to do with the scrimmage line, and if the teams were so ready to play and prepared than why were there 500 yellow flags thrown, you see its like this these guys are kids, their coaches know alot more about the game than they do but the coach cant play for them go back to my post's and read I am constantly saying that D wins Football games, and most coaches will tell you that.

hats off to Linton for a Hard fought game
My praises to Cavalier for a HUGE WIN!!

Life's short Play Hard
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to A