Playoff Balance

The teams in Class A

Playoff Balance

Postby 89Dragon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:31 am

What are everyone's thought's on this year's Play off balances. There doesn't look to be a clear advantage for any one team from east or west. All potential No. 1 and 2 seeds look like pretty solid teams...
Last edited by 89Dragon on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Playoff Balance

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 pm

it's spelled B-A-L-A-N-C-E and as far as I'm concerned the west has WatfordCity, Hazen, Velva and Harvey. I don't believe anybody from the east regions will be able to break through this year!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Re: Playoff Balence

Postby cheesehead 17 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 pm

I agree. The west is way stronger than the east.
cheesehead 17

Postby 89Dragon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:29 am

Thank you for the correction. However regardless of how "strong" the west is sadly only 1 team will go to the dance the others.... well, I guess will go home. Which team from the west will be there and which team from the east will be honored to be there?
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby future star » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:15 am

i think it will be north prairie from the east and watford from the west and since im closer to np ill take them for state
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigNorsk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 am

North Prairie was always west anyway so that would be like an all west game anyway so it's west west west west and west.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:53 am

future star wrote:i think it will be north prairie from the east and watford from the west and since im closer to np ill take them for state

From what I've seen and heard North Prairie is definately going to have a say in who goes to the big game from the east, but don't forget about Linton. I think the west is a toss up and Watford City is the favorite but there are a lot of good teams it'll be interesting.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 am

89Dragon wrote:Thank you for the correction. However regardless of how "strong" the west is sadly only 1 team will go to the dance the others.... well, I guess will go home. Which team from the west will be there and which team from the east will be honored to be there?

Your welcome for the correction. It's a good topic and deserves some comments I just wanted to get the ball rolling. You're right, only one team can go from the west and it will be fun to watch. I think North Prairie will be honored to be a part of the state championship game.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigNorsk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Linton has a pretty good wrestling program, I would say it's foolish to look past any school that shares that characteristic.

I would pick on Larimore a bit to make the point. They have had wrestling, but it's turned into not much of anything, at state last year there was one guy there from Larimore and had a tough time in the team rankings.

Well there they were, thought they'd be a power in football this year, and they, in a word, aren't. What happened? I would argue their football team went down the drain due to the same reasons their wrestling team went down the drain. Basically a lack of commitment to get physically strong.

Schools that have both programs going well, wrestling and football, have an inherent advantage over those schools that don't.

I see many football players that would greatly benefit from wrestling. From the butterball who looks okay on paper but has to leave the game every few plays to try and find some oxygen or else he just stands there and hopes something comes his way, to the kid who's in fine overal physical shape but is just plain lacking 10 lbs of muscle.

Conditioning too. A few minutes on the mat really helps condition the player to recover. Lacking that you see teams that are competitive for one half and then could just as well stay on the sidelines the second.

Back to Linton, they have that wrestling program that helps them when it comes to football.

I haven't sat down and figured it out, but I'm confident if you looked at which class A schools make the playoffs and which don't, the presence of a wrestling program is going to have a very high correlation. Wrestling being a strong in for the playoffs, lack of it and you will likely stay home the end of October.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:28 pm

I think Harvey should play Velva for the State Championship they will be the two best teams at the end of the season just like usual, the reality is when it comes to the West trash talkers its all Watford, Hazen, and people pulling for teams who Might have a shot (and I stress might) in ND football its the program that wins Championships not the Team, The Winner this year, Velva! in Football the West has the edge overall, in Basketball, no contest.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 pm

winner-within wrote:I think Harvey should play Velva for the State Championship they will be the two best teams at the end of the season just like usual, the reality is when it comes to the West trash talkers its all Watford, Hazen, and people pulling for teams who Might have a shot (and I stress might) in ND football its the program that wins Championships not the Team, The Winner this year, Velva! in Football the West has the edge overall, in Basketball, no contest.

Wow this post really shows that you have no idea what you are writing. I probably shouldn't even reply due to the fact that you can't argue with stupid minds and win! So you are saying that only programs that win championships have a shot....hmmmm well please do some research and get back to me if the Watford City Football program would fit into that criteria......
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 89Dragon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I will say there has been a lot of trash talking from the "out west" people. This year it seems the WC/Hazen supporters brought it up a bit to counter the usual Harvey/Velva Drivel. All 4 teams are the best... just ask them.

I Need to say NP will be in the dance. Granted not to discount Linton and that has yet to be decided. As the year went on NP's professionalism and rollup the sleeves attitude with each game has driven their success. That program is a definate force to be contended with for years to come. Success builds success.

Good Luck to all. There are still Games to play... til then cheers
Last edited by 89Dragon on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm

AAfootballfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:I think Harvey should play Velva for the State Championship they will be the two best teams at the end of the season just like usual, the reality is when it comes to the West trash talkers its all Watford, Hazen, and people pulling for teams who Might have a shot (and I stress might) in ND football its the program that wins Championships not the Team, The Winner this year, Velva! in Football the West has the edge overall, in Basketball, no contest.

Wow this post really shows that you have no idea what you are writing. I probably shouldn't even reply due to the fact that you can't argue with stupid minds and win! So you are saying that only programs that win championships have a shot....hmmmm well please do some research and get back to me if the Watford City Football program would fit into that criteria......

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the coaches in my opinion spearhead the Programs and I know who has the best coach out west with no disrespect to any coach only Rings tell the story, now granted Watford has a good Program and a good team they are actually amongst better programs in 1A than they were in 2A, so with that said, I'll stick with Velva for my pick! Lifes Short, play hard :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:53 pm

winner-within wrote:
AAfootballfan wrote:

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the coaches in my opinion spearhead the Programs and I know who has the best coach out west with no disrespect to any coach only Rings tell the story, now granted Watford has a good Program and a good team they are actually amongst better programs in 1A than they were in 2A, so with that said, I'll stick with Velva for my pick! Lifes Short, play hard :wink:

Umm. Watford City has 9 fb state championships which I believe is the most among class B schools since they created multiple divisions in 1975.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:52 pm

winner-within wrote:
AAfootballfan wrote:

This guys is just talking out of his *** First of all for you to say that the Wolves weren't a power in AA is ridiculous. They won 3 state titles since AA started in 1998, yes they had a couple down years, but what program doesn't. Also, the best coach in the west is Fred Fridley if you are gonna go by "rings" as you called it. He has 9 state titles last time I checked....do some research before you post please....
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Why don't we wait and see what happens Friday night. I'm sure Harvey will come ready to play against Velva. As far as the playoffs are concerned the addition of Hazen and Watford City means that Harvey and Velva are no longer shoe ins for the semi's. Besides what has Velva done lately besides lose in the first round two years ago and get blown out in the semi's last year. You talk a pretty big game I hope for your sake you can back it up ith your play!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 pm

AAfootballfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
AAfootballfan wrote:

This guys is just talking out of his *** First of all for you to say that the Wolves weren't a power in AA is ridiculous. They won 3 state titles since AA started in 1998, yes they had a couple down years, but what program doesn't. Also, the best coach in the west is Fred Fridley if you are gonna go by "rings" as you called it. He has 9 state titles last time I checked....do some research before you post please....

Never said the Wolves weren't a power house, I said they are amongst better programs out west now that they are in plaing 1A vs 2AA, thats my opinion, also the Ring thing is based on the last 9 years. Research this, There was a team in ND that had won over 30 in a row at AA and then dropped to 1A went undefeated up until the Championship game and lost to Velva, oops spoiled your research.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 pm

A-Fanatic wrote:

Why don't we wait and see what happens Friday night. I'm sure Harvey will come ready to play against Velva. As far as the playoffs are concerned the addition of Hazen and Watford City means that Harvey and Velva are no longer shoe ins for the semi's. Besides what has Velva done lately besides lose in the first round two years ago and get blown out in the semi's last year. You talk a pretty big game I hope for your sake you can back it up ith your play!

I say Velva wins I know thats another Topic, sorry for that, What Velva done lately has nothing to do with what they are doing this season and nothing to do with how tough thier program isn't, most of the 30 some teams dont make the playoffs and your talking about the last three years and they lose, IN THE PLAYOFFS, one being in the Semi's how many teams have never felt the semi's hmm! not to mention the 8 years prior to the last three.
With that said read my over 250 post and after about three you will realize what part of the state I'm from, then keep reading and you will realize I' am out of the High School Game :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 pm

winner-within wrote:
A-Fanatic wrote:

I say Velva wins I know thats another Topic, sorry for that, What Velva done lately has nothing to do with what they are doing this season and nothing to do with how tough thier program isn't, most of the 30 some teams dont make the playoffs and your talking about the last three years and they lose, IN THE PLAYOFFS, one being in the Semi's how many teams have never felt the semi's hmm! not to mention the 8 years prior to the last three.
With that said read my over 250 post and after about three you will realize what part of the state I'm from, then keep reading and you will realize I' am out of the High School Game :wink:

Does this post make any sense to anyone else?? It sure doesn't to me.....
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to A