Past Champs

The teams in Class A

Past Champs

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Even though some schools have jumped around from 9-man to A, from AA to A etc. etc. list who won the Class A Championship for the last 10 years.

Thanks in advance
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Past Champs

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:44 pm

According to wiki here are the dakota bowl scores for A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Bowl#External_links

2008 Harvey over Linton-H-M-B 14-0
2007 Harvey over Lisbon 21-18
2006 Velva over Linton 33-8
2005 Velva/Sawyer over Cavalier 33-12
2004 Velva/Sawyer over Larimore 21-12
2003 Velva/Sawyer over LaMoure/Litchville-Marion/Verona 20-13
2002 Stanley/Powers Lake over Carrington 20-12
2001 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 27-22
2000 Velva/Sawyer over Langdon 22-14
1999 Stanley over Carrington 30-12
1998 Harvey over Stanley 29-12
1997 Velva/Sawyer over Harvey 28-8
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Deuce wrote:According to wiki here are the dakota bowl scores for A

Thanks Deuce
I had a feeling I was going to see Velva and Harvey listed quite often, I was following AA more through- out the last 10 years. I don't think its even worth mentioning anybody else as a contender until the Sandy bros. step down and the programs take a hit because of it.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 am

Didn't know that carrington was in the A ranks recently.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:19 am

I don't think you can automatically pick Velva or AHarvey this year especially with the addition of Hazen and Watford City to the A list.

Also, Carrington was defeated in the semis by Langdon in 2000 so for a few years they were class A. A lot of bouncing around in the class system since the four class system went into effect.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am

A - Football Fan wrote:I don't think you can automatically pick Velva or AHarvey this year especially with the addition of Hazen and Watford City to the A list.

Also, Carrington was defeated in the semis by Langdon in 2000 so for a few years they were class A. A lot of bouncing around in the class system since the four class system went into effect.

I know what your saying, although Cavalier went from winning three straight AA championships to losing the A Championship the following season (2005) to none other than Velva, its all about the Athletes, and in Harvey and Velva's case the Program because the Athletes come and go but after a run like they have had they either keep getting the Horse's or they know how to shape a football player out of anyone, I guess I don't know for sure whats taking place but the track record may speak for itself. I truly hope someone beats them out for 2009, I know Cavalier owes them one?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby uconn_8 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Another note...Since the 4 class system started, the representative from the West has won it every year.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 pm

winner-within wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:I don't think you can automatically pick Velva or AHarvey this year especially with the addition of Hazen and Watford City to the A list.

I know what your saying, although Cavalier went from winning three straight AA championships to losing the A Championship the following season (2005) to none other than Velva, its all about the Athletes, and in Harvey and Velva's case the Program because the Athletes come and go but after a run like they have had they either keep getting the Horse's or they know how to shape a football player out of anyone, I guess I don't know for sure whats taking place but the track record may speak for itself. I truly hope someone beats them out for 2009, I know Cavalier owes them one?

I think Cavalier was a little too one demensional in that season. Their offense depended on Matt Anderson and Matt Anderson alone. Their quarterback wasn't able to throw the ball consistently. Losing Oksendahl, their starter for the previous three seasons, to graduation along with a generous supporting cast made all of the difference. If they had those players and Velva still beat them I would be a little more inclined to agree with your statements. I just think that Hazen and Watford will create more of a stir this year. I'm not saying that Velva or Harvey cannot come out on top, I just think it will be a lot more interesting to watch Class A out west this year.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:17 pm

uconn_8 wrote:Another note...Since the 4 class system started, the representative from the West has won it every year.

With the exception of Harvey over Stanley in 1998. Actually, they are all Region 3 representatives if I am not mistaken... Harvey withheld from that in 1998 when they were still east region.... dang border towns.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I think Cavalier was a little too one demensional in that season. Their offense depended on Matt Anderson and Matt Anderson alone. Their quarterback wasn't able to throw the ball consistently. Losing Oksendahl, their starter for the previous three seasons, to graduation along with a generous supporting cast made all of the difference. If they had those players and Velva still beat them I would be a little more inclined to agree with your statements. I just think that Hazen and Watford will create more of a stir this year. I'm not saying that Velva or Harvey cannot come out on top, I just think it will be a lot more interesting to watch Class A out west this year.

Velva wouldn't have had a prayer the year before, but my point was more on the line of regardless of who moves into 1A the goal immediately becomes lets try knock off Harvey or Velva, rightfully so they have great programs like I have said, and I hope Hazen and Watford do stir things up but even more of a wish would be the east takes home the Jug and I might add the northeast, nuff said!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:51 pm

winner-within wrote:
Deuce wrote:According to wiki here are the dakota bowl scores for A

Thanks Deuce
I had a feeling I was going to see Velva and Harvey listed quite often, I was following AA more through- out the last 10 years. I don't think its even worth mentioning anybody else as a contender until the Sandy bros. step down and the programs take a hit because of it.

Correction: in 1999 it was Stanley over Harvey.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby uconn_8 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm

winner-within wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Velva wouldn't have had a prayer the year before, but my point was more on the line of regardless of who moves into 1A the goal immediately becomes lets try knock off Harvey or Velva, rightfully so they have great programs like I have said, and I hope Hazen and Watford do stir things up but even more of a wish would be the east takes home the Jug and I might add the northeast, nuff said!

Velva wouldn't have had a prayer? Isn't that what everyone said before Cavalier lost to them in that game? It wasn't exactly a close game either (33-12). Just a note, the 2005 Velva team that beat Cavalier had lost 12 seniors from the 2004 team. Did Cavalier have a better team in 2004 than Velva? Maybe...but you shouldn't say they don't have a prayer, since they were never on the field at the same time.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 am

uconn_8 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Velva wouldn't have had a prayer? Isn't that what everyone said before Cavalier lost to them in that game? It wasn't exactly a close game either (33-12). Just a note, the 2005 Velva team that beat Cavalier had lost 12 seniors from the 2004 team. Did Cavalier have a better team in 2004 than Velva? Maybe...but you shouldn't say they don't have a prayer, since they were never on the field at the same time.

OK, I won't say that anymore But they wouldn't have, Whoops :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to A