Harvey or Velva?

The teams in Class A

Re: Harvey or Velva?

Postby A - Football Fan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:14 am

toddjames wrote:
A-Fanatic wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Harvey lost to WC 18-8
Berthold beat WC 13-6
Harvey beat Berthold 30-0 (17 pt cutoff)

so WC is +3
Harvey is +7
Berthold is -10

So Harvey wins the 3 way tie, then it goes to head to head and Berthold beat WC so they get #3.

I'm assuming this is how the tiebreak procedure goes for this region (thats how most of them are at least)

Just thought I'd explain it a bit more so everyone knows how it works out.

Okay that's great guys we have the playoffs all figured out, but who wins this Friday Harvey or Velva?

I'd put my money on the team with the most points! LOL sorry couldn't resist... In these types of games (lot on the line, both good teams, lots of tradition) I sway towards the home teams, so I'm going with Velva in this one. Score should be around 24-12 or so, just a guess there but I think it will be close with Velva opening it up a little in the second half...

I would normally agree with you but when you put two teams like these together along with the close proximity to each other and a lot of fans in the stands it makes for a almost like home atmosphere for either team. Last year Velva traveled to Harvey and won the match-up 21-0 or something close to that and then in the semis Harvey and Velva went to Minot (lot of snow on the ground in Velva) and Harvey basically stomped them. Home field has its advantages but in a game like this I just don't think it will play a role. This will be a game of least mistakes. It will be close. I don't know if weather will play a factor into a passing game or not. I know it is raining in Bismarck right now... what it is doing in Velva I don't know. Big game, wish I could be there.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:43 am

I agree home field has it's advantages but with the tradition and the fan base that these two teams have it could just as well be played on a neutral site. Harvey will be pumped to play Velva and a 50 mile bus trip won't dampen their spirits. Field conditions and the weather could have an impact on the game. A wet ball is harder to catch and hold on to so I think the team that can limit turnovers will win this game. Plus if it is real wet and sloppy I think that would favor Harvey in a more straight ahead attack vs. Velva's misdirection smoke and mirrors offense. Should be a great game!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:14 pm

There was a very good point brought up in an article in the Bismarck Tribune today that I never thought of. If Williams County wins tonight in Stanley and Berthold OR loses to DLB then there could be a tie for second between Harvey and Williams County in which case Harvey would be the third seed since they lost in head to head competition to Williams County. Harvey of course would need to lose to Velva tonight for this to happen as well.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hunterlaf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:23 pm

velva wins by 14
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:06 pm

All right since no-one believes in the home field advantage with these two teams, which I can understand, I'm also going to say that Velva's versatility in the running game is going to play a role and should be a deciding factor. Of course it always comes down to who can win up front, but Velva's offensive attack comes at you from all directions with misdirection... Harvey is more straight up run it right at you, try to stop us... But where I think that the home field comes into play is that no-one likes to be beat in their own back yard, especially when your No. 1 rival comes to town.... It won't probably play as big of factor, but I think down the stretch the home field is what's going to rally the Velva players late in the game...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33 pm

29-8 Velva impressive performance by the aggies.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:29 pm

This one looked like it was going to get out of hand in a hurry when Velva scored on its first two possessions... It was nice to see Harvey come back with a couple of scores to keep things interesting in the first half... Once again one of the hardest hitting games I've been to this year, which it is always is between these two teams...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fanofeverything » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Velva stopped themselves on 2 drives that should of went for TD's. Harvey only had one drive the Harvey had 80 yds of there 150 on the night on there one TD drive. Overall the score was actually closer than the game was as far as I am concerned. It could have easily been 41 or 42 to 8. I think the Harvey team is better than they showed in this game however, so if they happen to be fortunate enough to meet again I think the game will be closer. Both teams are capable of beating Watford or Hazen on a good night. If Harvey plays the way they did against Velva and if Velva has the costly turnover or penalties like they did against Harvey I don't know if either of them can win against Watford or Hazen. We will have to see as it is pretty likely these 4 teams will clash during these playoffs.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to A