Harvey or Velva?

The teams in Class A

Harvey or Velva?

Postby ndfan24 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 am

Who is better. Harvey or Velva?
Im going to say Harvey because they got an out standing running back Casey Weinmann and they also got a very good line and tight end!
ndfan24
NDPreps Starter

Re: Harvey or Velva?

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:37 am

Harvey's size vs Velva quickness. This will be another great matchup this year. Harvey will feature Weinmann this year and Velva will have several kids who carry the ball. Both schools take a lot of pride in defense and it shows. One big difference this year is the addition of WC and Hazen to the west. Last year Velva beat Harvey in the regular season and Harvey spent the rest of the year preparing for Velva because they didn't have anybody else to worry about. Now with Hazen and WC being very likely opponents for the second round of the playoffs neither Velva or Harvey will be able to count on playing each other in the playoffs. But just for argument sakes I'll take Harvey over Velva by a touchdown. I think Harvey will try to grind it out like they did in the state championship game last year. Their defense will prevent Velva from making the big play. 13-6 will be the final. That being said it's a long season and this prediction is based on both teams being healthy.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am

I don't know how good of a measuring stick his weeks game will be but I think the Harvey vs Williams County game will a good one to watch. According to posts in other threads on this website Harvey is more of a passing team this year. If Williams County has any kind of a secondary this could be a very close game and Williams County could end up playing the spoiler in this game which would make the match up of Harvey vs. Velva a dandy for the season finally.... Think about how much could be riding on that game for either team. If Williams County wins against Harvey then Harvey could be playing for a three way tie against Velva or third place in the region which would mean a second round game against Hazen or Watford City or in version two any one of the teams could end up playing Hazen or Watford City in the second round depending on the tie-breaker situation..... things could be really interesting after this week. In my hunble opinion. By the way, I am just assuming that Hazen and Watford City will end up one and two in that region, don't see too much changing that but anything is possible.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:40 am

A - Football Fan wrote:I don't know how good of a measuring stick his weeks game will be but I think the Harvey vs Williams County game will a good one to watch. According to posts in other threads on this website Harvey is more of a passing team this year. If Williams County has any kind of a secondary this could be a very close game and Williams County could end up playing the spoiler in this game which would make the match up of Harvey vs. Velva a dandy for the season finally.... Think about how much could be riding on that game for either team. If Williams County wins against Harvey then Harvey could be playing for a three way tie against Velva or third place in the region which would mean a second round game against Hazen or Watford City or in version two any one of the teams could end up playing Hazen or Watford City in the second round depending on the tie-breaker situation..... things could be really interesting after this week. In my hunble opinion. By the way, I am just assuming that Hazen and Watford City will end up one and two in that region, don't see too much changing that but anything is possible.

Well after last nights games the Velva Harvey game is gonna have a lot of playoff implications. I don't see either Velva or Harvey losing the rest of the way with the exception of Berthold OR being a darkhorse that could pull an upset. If Velva beats Harvey, Harvey could finish third in the region and if the regions cross bracket for the first round of the playoffs that would set up a matchup between either Watford City or Hazen against Harvey in the first round. That would be exciting. If Harvey beats Velva then the whole scenario gets crazy. This year is shaping up to be a lot of fun for the fans.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigNorsk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I think the Harvey/Velva situation really shows why 4 teams from a Region making playoffs isn't a bad idea. I know some people don't like it but lets just say Harvey beats Velva and both they and Williams County pretty well finish out the season winning.

Which one would deserve to sit home and miss the playoffs?

There's been three ways like that before and it's hard to let someone miss the playoffs, especially if it's early in the season because we all know a lot of teams change a lot during the seasons.

Sure, most first round matches aren't much in the way of being matches, but these kids just get to be in high school once and if it takes an extra playoff round, well school starts earlier now and finishes in the domes. So be it. It's better than letting very deserving teams sit out of the playoffs, based on some sort of tie breaker.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm

But I think this region also shows why they shouldn't play interregion in the 1st round of playoffs, too. The top 4 out of Harvey's region could very well be the top 4 in the entire state, but only two will get to advance on to the second round. If these top 4 played the top 4 of the other region out west there would be a chance all 4 could play on to the second round, even tho it might be tough for the #3 and #4 to beat Watford or Hazen.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Truce » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Ive always thought that Inter-region playoff was really Dumb. They should Cross Bracket first round. Yes it could be more travel, but they are saturday games anyways. Thats like region 1 the last few years, Lisbon and Linton could have easily been top in the state, but they have had to eliminate each other.

You would have a much better picture and less Lopsided games in the semis and Finals. None of this 48-6 crap thats been hapening alot in the playoffs.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Truce wrote:Ive always thought that Inter-region playoff was really Dumb. They should Cross Bracket first round. Yes it could be more travel, but they are saturday games anyways. Thats like region 1 the last few years, Lisbon and Linton could have easily been top in the state, but they have had to eliminate each other.

You would have a much better picture and less Lopsided games in the semis and Finals. None of this 48-6 crap thats been hapening alot in the playoffs.

Even with the cross bracketing Lisbon and Linton would have ended up eliminating one another even if they are opposite regions.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah, but farther down the road in the playoffs. Then at least you have the top teams playing late in the playoffs.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shocker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Truce wrote:Ive always thought that Inter-region playoff was really Dumb. They should Cross Bracket first round. Yes it could be more travel, but they are saturday games anyways. Thats like region 1 the last few years, Lisbon and Linton could have easily been top in the state, but they have had to eliminate each other.

If they could have easliy been top in the state, why does the team from the west win each year? Do they both get eliminated when they play each other?
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigNorsk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:58 am

Well, it's that week now.

Way things have been going looks like it's Velva's year, but sure hard to bet against Harvey too.

Any important injuries or anything on either team?
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Maybe it's time to use the Power Polls like they did years ago. Seems like neutral sites were even used as the playoffs went deeper. Seed out the teams in order to get the best match-ups in the Semi's and Finals. The travel issue is just an excuse for people, as true fans will make the trip. Saturday games make this possible.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TDown » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Harvey is the real deal. They wont lose another game like they did to Williams county.
TDown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bestinthewest » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 pm

top teams being eliminated early happens in alot of sports. in basketball, the top 8 ranked teams in the state could be from the same region and only one would make it to state...just for example. so i dont see what the big deal is.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfanatic » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:20 am

TDown wrote:Harvey is the real deal. They wont lose another game like they did to Williams county.

Wanna bet on that??? Get back to me when they play Watford City. I'd love to take your money.
ndfbfanatic
NDPreps Reserve

Postby taveg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

i dont know if you've been paying attention the last 2 years but they've eliminated each other in the semis each year (which is the game before state) so im not quite sure what your trying to say here.
taveg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Just a couple of notes about this game. Harvey 6-1, Velva 7-0. If Harvey wins, they will have the region championship in hand, Velva will be number two. If Velva wins, Harvey should be the number two team based on point differential since Harvey lost to Williams County and beating Berthold. Williams County lost to Berthold. I don't know if non-region games count in the point totals for the tiebreaker I am assuming not. Harvey has number two locked up as does Velva, only number one has to be decided.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Just a couple of notes about this game. Harvey 6-1, Velva 7-0. If Harvey wins, they will have the region championship in hand, Velva will be number two. If Velva wins, Harvey should be the number two team based on point differential since Harvey lost to Williams County and beating Berthold. Williams County lost to Berthold. I don't know if non-region games count in the point totals for the tiebreaker I am assuming not. Harvey has number two locked up as does Velva, only number one has to be decided.

Would Harvey still have #2 locked up if they lost to Velva by three or more td's? Just curious because I'm not sure how tie breakers would work.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby rkmt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:00 pm

A-Fanatic wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:Just a couple of notes about this game. Harvey 6-1, Velva 7-0. If Harvey wins, they will have the region championship in hand, Velva will be number two. If Velva wins, Harvey should be the number two team based on point differential since Harvey lost to Williams County and beating Berthold. Williams County lost to Berthold. I don't know if non-region games count in the point totals for the tiebreaker I am assuming not. Harvey has number two locked up as does Velva, only number one has to be decided.

Would Harvey still have #2 locked up if they lost to Velva by three or more td's? Just curious because I'm not sure how tie breakers would work.

The point differential only matters with the teams you are tied with so their point diff with Velva wouldn't matter. If a Harvey loss led to a 3-way tie between them, Williams Cty and Berthold, only scores of those games would matter. Harvey would get pulled out as the 2 seed and then you'd move to head to head to break the tie between the remaining two.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:37 pm

rkmt wrote:
A-Fanatic wrote:

The point differential only matters with the teams you are tied with so their point diff with Velva wouldn't matter. If a Harvey loss led to a 3-way tie between them, Williams Cty and Berthold, only scores of those games would matter. Harvey would get pulled out as the 2 seed and then you'd move to head to head to break the tie between the remaining two.

Correct.... Region seeds will be as follows for region 3.

1. Velva or Harvey
2. Velva or Harvey
3. Berthold OR
4. Williams County

Harvey has better point totals than Berthold and Williams County so they would get second over those two teams in the three-way tie criteria. Then between Berthold and Williams County it comes down to the head to head match-up which Berthold won 13-6. The only thing is who is number one and who is number two which will be decided Friday night in Velva.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Harvey lost to WC 18-8
Berthold beat WC 13-6
Harvey beat Berthold 30-0 (17 pt cutoff)

so WC is +3
Harvey is +7
Berthold is -10

So Harvey wins the 3 way tie, then it goes to head to head and Berthold beat WC so they get #3.

I'm assuming this is how the tiebreak procedure goes for this region (thats how most of them are at least)

Just thought I'd explain it a bit more so everyone knows how it works out.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Harvey lost to WC 18-8
Berthold beat WC 13-6

so WC is +3
Harvey is +7
Berthold is -10

So Harvey wins the 3 way tie, then it goes to head to head and Berthold beat WC so they get #3.

I'm assuming this is how the tiebreak procedure goes for this region (thats how most of them are at least)

Okay that's great guys we have the playoffs all figured out, but who wins this Friday Harvey or Velva?
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby region3dominates » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:48 am

This is one of the states best rivalries and if anyone thinks that it will be a blowout one way or the other they will be sadly mistaken. From what i understand Harvey has a stout defence and the same goes for Velva. The one difference i can see is that Velva has a more balanced offence running anywhere from 3 to 5 different people while Harvey is a one headed monster Weinman, and he pretty much is their offence so if Velva can stop him or limit him on offence they will win a close game. i predict a final score of 22-8 Velva but the game will be alot closer on the field then the scoreboard.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby toddjames » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 pm

A-Fanatic wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Harvey lost to WC 18-8
Berthold beat WC 13-6

so WC is +3
Harvey is +7
Berthold is -10

Okay that's great guys we have the playoffs all figured out, but who wins this Friday Harvey or Velva?

I'd put my money on the team with the most points! LOL sorry couldn't resist... In these types of games (lot on the line, both good teams, lots of tradition) I sway towards the home teams, so I'm going with Velva in this one. Score should be around 24-12 or so, just a guess there but I think it will be close with Velva opening it up a little in the second half...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigNorsk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 am

I give the edge to Velva this year. More multidimensional. Plus Williams County revealed some things about Harvey when they beat them this year. I'd be shocked if a film of that game didn't make it's way to Velva.

I'd say Velva by 10.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to A