Cross-Bracket...only within the same half of bracket, right?

The teams in Class A

Cross-Bracket...only within the same half of bracket, right?

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 am

I wasn't sure to what degree "cross bracketing" was, until I saw that Velva played N.S. So in otherwards, they cross bracket only within their side of the bracket? And that is only for the 2nd round games?

So....Velva will play Harvey in the Semi's? (should they both win)

Also, what's the idea behind cross-bracketing? What does it accomplish?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Cross-Bracket...only within the same half of bracket, right?

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm

The idea I think is to allow teams to play outside of thier region. Yes, West is west and east is east. They will only meet in the championship game. There was talk of crossing brackets in the first round to avoid playing teams two weeks in a row. For example, last year Velva was the number three seed out of region 3 and North Prairie was the number two. They played in the last game of the regular season and then met the following week in the first round of the playoffs. Both games were won by North Prairie but it kinda not cool playing the same team two weeks in a row. This way you allow the best of teams to rise to the top. If region 3 has the better teams should they have to face each other in the second round or does it make for a better format to allow them to play in the semis and more drama? Same with NSGU and Killdeer. If they play each other and are both better than Velva and Harvey what does playing each other in the second round stand to gain? This is my thought on the subject, whether or not it is correct who knows. I just think it allows the better teams to rise to the finale come semi-final time.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:05 pm

the other reason for staying in the same region for the first round is also to cut down on the amount of travel time for teams that could possibly be on the road throughout the playoffs.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mike thingstad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:37 pm

But if you notice that class A in the only division that has to play in region. Not AAA, not AA, and not 9man. Doesn't seem quite right. I think that AAA and AA and even a lot 9man teams have to travel, so why just A?
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Return to A