NSGU @ Velva

The teams in Class A

NSGU @ Velva

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 am

Could be quite a game. It will be broadcast over the internet at www.khrt.com on their listen live link. I would love to hear some thoughts on this game as it has already drawn some interest in previous threads.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: NSGU @ Velva

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Let me start it off by saying that New Salem had a big day onthe ground against Beach as Seeger ran for 180 yards on 29 touches and Messerschmidt had 94 yards while Wolf had 64 yards and two touchdowns. According to the paper article though, no passes were even attempted by New Salem/ Glen Ullin in the game.

If they stay on the ground during the Velva game I think it will be a long day.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Irish » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Velva by 2 touchdowns
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby J.D. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:34 pm

The reason for not throwing the ball is because they didn't have to. The weather wasn't ideal for throwing to begin with and Beach couldn't stop the run.

What style of offense does velva run? Do they throw a lot, or do they like to stick to the ground?
J.D.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bestinthewest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:08 pm

this should be a great game. LIke J.D. said, NSGU didnt have to throw the ball. i guarantee if the game had been closer they would have needed to pass. But with the game basically being a beat-down from the beginning NSGU's confidence in their running attack went sky high. We all know if they want or need to pass, they will pass.

the Holsteins should be really confident coming into this one. they were in almost the same situation back when they were in 9-man against washburn. washburn being the #1 team in the state and they beat them 18-16. The big difference is that this time around the #1 team will be at home.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:09 am

All i know is that if NSGU thinks they are going to be able to run the ball against a defense that only gave up negative 20 yards in their first game they might as well stay home cause its going to be ugly. As for velvas offence well it's a multi headed beast that you can not key on any one thing or any one player. If NSGU brings their A game it very well could be a good game but if they come out flat they are in big trouble.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A-Fanatic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:45 pm

region3dominates wrote:All i know is that if NSGU thinks they are going to be able to run the ball against a defense that only gave up negative 20 yards in their first game they might as well stay home cause its going to be ugly. As for velvas offence well it's a multi headed beast that you can not key on any one thing or any one player. If NSGU brings their A game it very well could be a good game but if they come out flat they are in big trouble.

I don't really think that you can get anywhere with arguing that Velva held DLB to negative yards in the first round. DLB was only in the playoffs by a strange fluke that is very unlikely to ever happen again. To say they were a playoff team is a joke. I believe that NSGU will give Velva a good game but I do agree that they are gonna have to be able to pass efficiently to beat they won't be able to do it on the ground alone.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Definately DLB was no playoff team but to hold any team to negative yards is quite a statement. it goes to show that velvas defense is about as stout as it gets.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Irish » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Velva 39-12
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:32 pm

region3dominates wrote:Definately DLB was no playoff team but to hold any team to negative yards is quite a statement. it goes to show that velvas defense is about as stout as it gets.

I think Velva's junior high team could've held DLB little or nothing. DLB just isn't a good measuring stick. I think NSGU will give Velva plenty of fight and a good game. I think Velva will win by two TD's 21-7
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby RonMexico » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Velva 42
NSGU 6
RonMexico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Beston51 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 pm

RonMexico wrote:Velva 42
NSGU 6

i'll take that score too.
Beston51
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 pm

NSGU 14
Velva 12
bigpoppakdog

Postby toddjames » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Yeah, I don't think this one is going to be too close... Velva's tough on both sides of the ball and playing at home... could be over early and I wouldn't be surprised to see the clock running in the second half...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RonMexico » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:NSGU 14
Velva 12

Thats laughable....you will see come Saturday
RonMexico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby region3dominates » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 am

Bigpoppakdog I'm not sure what fantasy land you live in but NSGU is not fast enough to keep velva down. I think it's gonna be a blow out velva will score on their third play from scrimage and the final score will be 42-6
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dakotakid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 am

Velva 49-8 seeger with all on NSGU's points
dakotakid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm

region3dominates wrote:Bigpoppakdog I'm not sure what fantasy land you live in but NSGU is not fast enough to keep velva down. I think it's gonna be a blow out velva will score on their third play from scrimage and the final score will be 42-6

I have seen some really BOLD predictions about this game. I too think that Velva will win this but I don't really see it being a blowout. I have to say though that if NSGU wins this game there are going to be a lot of people having crow for dinner!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby J.D. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:45 pm

I also don't think it will be a blowout. It will take a near perfect game from NSGU, but it can be done. If hte holsteins come out flat it could be over in a heartbeat, but i think NSGU has what it takes to pull the upset. If they can hang around until the fourth quarter they have a very legitimate shot at the win.
J.D.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:47 pm

This will be like the Harvey game for NSGU. A low scoring affair. If NSGU wins they will probably have to shut Velva out. I'll take Velva 28-8.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby J.D. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:02 pm

I don't think they'll have to shut them out, but they can't let velva score more than 28 points. New Salem's offense will probably get more than one scoring opportunity, but they have to take advantage of them. In the Killdeer game they failed to convert twice when they were inside the five, and if they have those opportunities against velva they must take advantage of them.
J.D.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:36 pm

J.D. wrote:I don't think they'll have to shut them out, but they can't let velva score more than 28 points. New Salem's offense will probably get more than one scoring opportunity, but they have to take advantage of them. In the Killdeer game they failed to convert twice when they were inside the five, and if they have those opportunities against velva they must take advantage of them.

Can't let Velva score more than 28 points? I think if Velva scores 14 or more they will win. If NSGU wants to win this game they will have to keep the score very low Velva won't give up much if anything. The most they've given up this year 7 or 8 not sure but I know that nobody has scored more than one touchdown against Velva including Harvey. So if Velva scores 14 in my book it's game over.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby J.D. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm

I've never seen Velva play and from what I have read Velva has a very stout defense, and I'm not sure NSGU could score 28 on Velva, but I hope they can score more than one touchdown. It is hard to put point totals because key plays can totally turn a game around. For example the score could be tied at 8 and a team could turn the ball over deep in their own territory and give up 8 more points on a play that can't be predicted. In my opinion 14 points never guarantees a win no matter how good the defense is because there are plays that aren't expected.
J.D.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:47 pm

boy if Velva scores 28 that won't be good for NSGU. I don't think Velva has given up 28 points all year.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bleacherfan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 am

Velva with a big win. NSGU won't be able to deal with Velva's defense.
bleacherfan
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to A