NSGU @ Velva

The teams in Class A

Re: NSGU @ Velva

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:48 am

bleacherfan wrote:Velva with a big win. NSGU won't be able to deal with Velva's defense.

There's also been a lot of mention about Velva's defense on this thread while they do play great defense they also play great offensively. Their offense is diverse with a lot of motion and misdirection. They have a lot of guys that can carry the ball on defense you just can't key on any one player. They mix up the run with the pass pretty effectively. The one problem that Velva has is that they haven't had any competition this year with the exception of Harvey. NSGU has played pretty steady all year and I'll think they'll be a best competition that Velva has faced since Harvey. NSGU will have to play tough defense to stay in this game, if they have any weaknesses, especially on defense, Larry Sandy will exploit them and take full advantage.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:58 pm

I wasn't able to get anything on this game other than a recap via the phone. Sounds like a good solid football game for Velva as they ground out a big win and a probable rematch with Harvey as Harvey is leading 21-0 at the half. I would be remissed if I did not say congrats to New Salem on an excellent season. They more than exceeded my expectations for a team that I did not know much about. My only wish is that I could have seen them play. Seeger will be returning again next year so they have some potential to make noise if he has help up front. I don't know what they will return but like I said they will have some potential. Good Luck Aggies next week in the semi-finals.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:10 pm

I did not get to see this game. Need a summary. Only thing I heard was a punt return for a touchdown.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:34 pm

according to prelim stats NSGU was held to 27 yards total offense. I have to say that I REALLLLLLLY wish I could have this game to see a defense that is that good. To hold seeger, mess, wolf(although I heard he was hurt early) to that type of yardage is a major statement. I hope they put the same hurt to Harvey.
bigpoppakdog

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:40 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I did not get to see this game. Need a summary. Only thing I heard was a punt return for a touchdown.

Not sure where you heard that but nobody scored on a punt return. Velva got a 52 yard touchdown on the first play of the game and never looked back. The game stayed close for a while but Velva didn't budge on defense. NSGU couldn't do anything on the ground and didn't fair much better passing. 27 total yards of offense isn't gonna win many games. Both teams had early injuries, Wolf from NSGU and Kittleson from Velva. I don't think that impacted the game very much. Velva scored on the last play of the first half to go up 20-0 and I think that was the dagger. Velva's JV played the fourth quarter and for what it's NSGU left their varsity in the entire game. Bottom line Velva was just too much especially defense. NSGU had one really good chance when Velva fumbled inside their own 10 NSGU couldn't capitalize and ended up throwing an interception on 4th and goal was almost a touchdown for Velva NSGU ran him down at about the 15 yard line. I gotta give some credit to NSGU they never quit and they were not afraid to hit there were a lot of pads popping out there today. It was a good competitive game, NSGU just couldn't solve Velva's defense.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:49 pm

People said velva was fast and hit. I just hope NSGU showed up and gave it their all and played to their capabilities. Velva is obviously the better team. God, I wish I could have been there. As much as I root for NSGU it would have been awesome to see a team that can hold them to minus yards on the ground. I just have two words GO VELVA!
bigpoppakdog

Postby aceofspades » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Well many people predicted this was going to be a beat down. They were wrong. It was a slaughter. Velva dominated a New Salem team that simply hadn't seen any good teams throughout the year other than Harvey...and we all know how that went. It appears all of the talent is in the east this year. Some of the teams out west had decent records but were exposed when they ended up playing some talented teams. Good records only mean something when you have wins over good teams. Hopefully New Salem can find some way to put this game behind them and come out next year and hope to win a few games. But getting over a loss like this is going to take some time, probably years. I'm not sure how the Velva groundskeepers are going to be able to get the field ready for Harvey next week as there are still cow pies laying all over the field. Those holsteins really got "cleaned out" by the Aggies.
aceofspades
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:17 pm

yeah go ahead. You were sent home packing last week. Too bad you are going back to 9 man next year. We'll see how much you have recovered. :D

Velva is a dominant team. Word is they could beat all the AA teams and compete with the AAA teams. So losing to them is nothing to hang your head over. Or should I go into the "missed opportunities in the redzone" skit like you did? No, Velva is the better team no matter which way you look at it. Story is their linebacker is one of the all time best that has ever played for Velva or for anybody that has ever suited up for N.D. Football.

I have no problem acknowledging a beatdown. I guess you aren't smart enough to think of your own words so you will use mine :?: :?:

Good luck in 9 man next year and good job in taking credit for another teams work when you couldn't get it done.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Shocker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 am

aceofspades wrote:It appears all of the talent is in the east this year.

You say that all the talent is out east this year. I'll believe that after the east wins the championship (or keeps it close). From the looks of Harvey and Velva, it's possible that those 2 teams are just head and shoulders above the rest of the division. NSGU and Kildeer may have had similar success if they were in the east this year.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:12 am

can't argue region 3's top two teams were better than region 4's top two teams.
bigpoppakdog

Postby aceofspades » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 am

Sorry bigpapa I didn't mean to stir you up. I was just giving you a summary, since you asked for one.

bigpoppakdog wrote:yeah go ahead. You were sent home packing last week. Too bad you are going back to 9 man next year. We'll see how much you have recovered. :D

Velva is a dominant team. Word is they could beat all the AA teams and compete with the AAA teams. So losing to them is nothing to hang your head over. Or should I go into the "missed opportunities in the redzone" skit like you did? No, Velva is the better team no matter which way you look at it. Story is their linebacker is one of the all time best that has ever played for Velva or for anybody that has ever suited up for N.D. Football.

I have no problem acknowledging a beatdown. I guess you aren't smart enough to think of your own words so you will use mine :?: :?:

Good luck in 9 man next year and good job in taking credit for another teams work when you couldn't get it done.
aceofspades
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:38 pm

C'mon you can do better than that. You used my words. :D :D
bigpoppakdog

Postby aceofspades » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Alright here is what I'm thinking. Anyone feel free to chime in. I am concerned about the holstein football players, the cheerleaders, the stats, the fans, the city of New Salem, and especially bigpapa. Nobody in high school football should be allowed to take a beating like this...honestly, I was hoping to see the white towel midway through the 1st quarter. Would it be possible to set up a game between New Salem vs. Des Lacs-Burlington? Since many people at Velva were saying how similar these teams were, this game could be decent. I think this could acccomplish a couple of things:

1. Maybe, just maybe, it might salvage New Salem football. Otherwise, I think they are scarred for life after the Velva game.
2. It might give DLB an opportunity to pick up a second win on the year and prove that an east team with a record of 1-7 is very similar to a west team of 7-2.

Anyway, just a thought and maybe a way to help out a couple of struggling football programs at the moment.
User warned
aceofspades
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:13 pm

The administrators and moderators want to send their apologies to the city of New Salem and especially any players or fans. Posts like these will not be tolerated and the players for New Salem should be congratulated on a great season and you should be proud of what you did this past season.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to A