Player of the year region 3????

The teams in Class A

Player of the year region 3????

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Who is it??? Weilder from Velva??? anyone else in the mix????
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Re: Player of the year region 3????

Postby future star » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Michael Bonn from North Prairie.
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:55 pm

FOOTBALL_101 wrote:Who is it??? Weilder from Velva??? anyone else in the mix????

Interesting that you would throw Weidlers name out there from Velva I'm not sure that he is even player of the year for Velva but he is good. Velva just has so many weapons Kittelson, Ystass, Kuntz, Weist, Weidler. If you look at Velva's stats I would imagine that they are all pretty close as far as putting up numbers. If there is one player in the region that carries his team it would be Kordell Wolfe from Harvey.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby 07AF » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:49 am

Wolfe
07AF

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am

future star wrote:Michael Bonn from North Prairie.

What year is Bonn? is he a senior???
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby sdunrud » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:44 am

Michael Bonn is a Junior.
sdunrud
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 89Dragon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Defensively DeCoteau North Prairie
74 Tackles 11 Sacks.. not bad for a DE :twisted:
89Dragon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 8's » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:56 am

I think that you can rule out DeCoteau, i dont think that he quite meets the standards. I would say that it will be a close one, there are some good athletes in region 3, i think it will come down to weidler and wolfe, but im gunna take wolfe in a close one for region 3 player of the year. Wolfe plays well on both sides of the ball and offensively he has really racked up the yards, but you definitely have to give some credit to that o-line of his and his fullback, and dont forget about his reveivers, they can really lay a hit to, i think that wolfes chances are looking good
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 am

A-Fanatic wrote:
FOOTBALL_101 wrote:Who is it??? Weilder from Velva??? anyone else in the mix????

Interesting that you would throw Weidlers name out there from Velva I'm not sure that he is even player of the year for Velva but he is good. Velva just has so many weapons Kittelson, Ystass, Kuntz, Weist, Weidler. If you look at Velva's stats I would imagine that they are all pretty close as far as putting up numbers. If there is one player in the region that carries his team it would be Kordell Wolfe from Harvey.

I think that Weidler is the best player on Velva's team, granted they are loaded!! and he may not have the offensive numbers that the other players do, but he is a force!!! expecially on the defensive side of the ball, you have to game plan for him and know where he is at all times!! to me that is the player of the year, I think Velva loses more if you take Weidler off the field than if you took anyone else on there team off. Wolfe is a GREAT PLAYER!! but I think Harvey would still be good if you plugged someone else in at running back, I just think that Weidler is the engine that makes Velva go, Both are great players and Wolfe will probably win because of his #'s and the fact that velva does have other guys in the mix, but for my money I'm taking Weidler by a hair!!!
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby 8's » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:16 am

I agree, weidler is the best player on velvas team, he was probably their best player last year to, but one player cant do it all by himself. velva is undefeated so he is obviously getting help, but the playoffs are almost here and i dont know if velva has what it takes to stay undefeated. they are a good team, but if you look at their schedule, they have played one game this year, harvey. They did go into harvey and beat them but harvey didnt play to the level that they are capable of, not even close, you can bet that harvey is gunna do whatever it takes to meet velva again, should be a great game
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:56 pm

8's wrote:I agree, weidler is the best player on velvas team, he was probably their best player last year to, but one player cant do it all by himself. velva is undefeated so he is obviously getting help, but the playoffs are almost here and i dont know if velva has what it takes to stay undefeated. they are a good team, but if you look at their schedule, they have played one game this year, harvey. They did go into harvey and beat them but harvey didnt play to the level that they are capable of, not even close, you can bet that harvey is gunna do whatever it takes to meet velva again, should be a great game

Did Harvey not play to their usual level or did Velva Dominate the game? Some food for thought, Harvey had 179 yards of total offense in that game. 83 of those came on one play. Wolfe also had two big runs in the game one for about 30 yards and one for about 40. Take away those three plays and what's left? If Harvey had a bad night then they REALLY had a bad night. I'll put my money on Velva in a rematch. I will agree that Velva hasn't played anybody else this year but neither has Harvey, Region 3 is really down this year with the exception of Harvey and Velva.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shocker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 am

8's wrote:I agree, weidler is the best player on velvas team, he was probably their best player last year to, but one player cant do it all by himself. velva is undefeated so he is obviously getting help, but the playoffs are almost here and i dont know if velva has what it takes to stay undefeated. they are a good team, but if you look at their schedule, they have played one game this year, harvey. They did go into harvey and beat them but harvey didnt play to the level that they are capable of, not even close, you can bet that harvey is gunna do whatever it takes to meet velva again, should be a great game

I don't understand your thinking at all 8's. You say Velva doesn't have what it takes to stay undefeated, and that they've only played one game this year, Harvey. That's because Harvey is the only other team on their level in the West (and possibly the state). They've already shown that they are capable of beating Harvey, so why wouldn't they be able to stay undefeated?
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby 8's » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 am

Yes, that is true. Harvey and Velva are probably the two best teams in the entire state, its to bad that they have to be in the same region and that the two cant meet in the state championship game. I agree, velva did prove something when they beat harvey but as i said before, i do not think that harvey played to what they are capable and velva did. I think that velva has the same attitude that you do, they beat harvey, and now they are out of the picture, they know that they can beat them so they wont be a problem. i think that harvey vs. velva will be the semi-final match up, and it wont be a cakewalk for either team, both teams want to go to the state finals, and velva isnt going to get it handed to them like they usually do....what is your prediction for the game then if velva is so much better than harvey???
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:37 pm

8's wrote:Yes, that is true. Harvey and Velva are probably the two best teams in the entire state, its to bad that they have to be in the same region and that the two cant meet in the state championship game. I agree, velva did prove something when they beat harvey but as i said before, i do not think that harvey played to what they are capable and velva did. I think that velva has the same attitude that you do, they beat harvey, and now they are out of the picture, they know that they can beat them so they wont be a problem. i think that harvey vs. velva will be the semi-final match up, and it wont be a cakewalk for either team, both teams want to go to the state finals, and velva isnt going to get it handed to them like they usually do....what is your prediction for the game then if velva is so much better than harvey???

It would probably be important to note as well that Velva pretty much did without one of their best running backs in the Harvey game as he got hurt in week two against Garrison/Max. They will have this weapon ready to use to full capacity making one more target Harvey will have to look at come semi-finals provided both teams make it to that game. One should not discount Killdeer, New Salem/Glen Ullin, and maybe....maybe Beach.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A-Fanatic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:49 pm

8's wrote:Yes, that is true. Harvey and Velva are probably the two best teams in the entire state, its to bad that they have to be in the same region and that the two cant meet in the state championship game. I agree, velva did prove something when they beat harvey but as i said before, i do not think that harvey played to what they are capable and velva did. I think that velva has the same attitude that you do, they beat harvey, and now they are out of the picture, they know that they can beat them so they wont be a problem. i think that harvey vs. velva will be the semi-final match up, and it wont be a cakewalk for either team, both teams want to go to the state finals, and velva isnt going to get it handed to them like they usually do....what is your prediction for the game then if velva is so much better than harvey???

Well Here's how I see it. First in no way do I or any of the players or coaches for Velva feel that Harvey is out of the way. Maybe Harvey just came out flat or maybe Velva completely took them by surprise either way it doesn't matter. Both teams will come ready to play. It will most likely be a very low scoring game because both teams have great defenses. I think Harvey will have to be able to pass the ball to beat Velva. Kordell Wolfe is a great running back and can break one at any time but Velva is very quick and they finish tackles very well. If Harvey can't be successful passing then it will be a long day for them. For Velva they have to continue to mix things up and keep Harvey guessing they have a lot of kids who can handle the ball and break big plays. I give the edge to Velva for a couple reasons, home field, and coaching. I would take Larry Sandy over Brad Sandy any day of the week and twice on Saturday. Velva will win a close game 13-7.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby 8's » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:16 pm

So who is the weapon that they were missing? one of the wiests? i thought that collin kittleson played just as well if not better than the wiest kid would have played, not taking anything away from him, he is a good athlete. Yes, harvey does need to be able to pass the ball, something that they were not able to do the first time these two teams met. harveys passing game was almost completely flat, and their running game was not a whole lot better but every now and then a team will have a night like harvey did that night. If you have been following harvey lately they are both running and throwing the ball very well, and many people are underestimating them. It should be a very low scoring game, as always, i thought that 20-7 was a little high for a harvey velva game but harveys defense was also not on the ball that night, antoher thing that has also improved. Harveys first game was rugby, rugby(a AA school) was one of the two teams to scrore against them, velva beign the other.And to add to that rugby was their first game of the year, velva is just ahead of harvey in the points allowed per game category
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Just be sure to consider their opponents during those games. North Prairie played them to a 20-0 loss but considering what North Prairie lost from last years team a 20-0 loss to Harvey is not too bad for their record. New Rockford lost (from what I understand) their best player (Allmers??) and went downhill from there. The opponents Harvey has faced since the Velva game have a combined record of 11-21. Their last three opponents have acombined record of 6-18 two of those teams have only one win and the other lost their best player. Hardly a good measuring stick.

Who has Velva played since Harvey? Well, the same teams so how do we compare? Scores against those opponents? Velva scored 188 to their opponents 7 while Harvey shut out those opponents 147-0.

I just think that you have to consider their opponents before you go and say that they have improved leaps and bounds. The team that I think could be a dark horse is Killdeer. I think that will be a different game than the first round. Especially in Killdeer.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 8's » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 am

You know i really dont think that it matters what a teams record is, its how they perform on game day. Yes the teams that harvey has played since velva have not had the best records but you still have to go into the game with respect that the other team might come ready to play. Velva has scored a few more points that harvey, so what, it doesnt matter if you score 100 points and kill the other team or if you win by 1 point, a win is a win. Harvey has 14 seniors this year, 9 juniors, and only 4 of those juniors start, harvey is taking advantage of being way ahead and getting some of the younger kids a chance to play, and getting them ready for the next couple of years. And as far as the allmaras kid being hurt, thats a bunch of crap, he hurt his shoulder in like week 2 and since then has been fine. He played in the game against harvey last week, it didnt seem to make a difference. Sure velva only gave up 7 points but harvey was able to keep the goose egg, even with their younger guys playing.So if you think that velva has a better offense because they scored more points, that must mean harvey has the better defense, because velvas gave up more points???? is that what your saying???
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:16 am

From what i've seen harvey has kept the starters in for most of the game. yeah Velva could have put up numbers in the 60's against the same teams that harvey has played if they kept their starters in most of the game. Velva has had the younger kids in the game in the first qtr some of the games and most of the games they were in by the second qtr. and in the harvey game if you say that harvey came out flat for a game featuring the two best teams in the state then i think that harvey underestimated velva and will do the same next time and get beat worse this time. Velva will have home field all the way to grand forks and that makes them even harder to beat and i promise that larry sandy will not let his team look past anyone he has the best prepared teams all the time and velva only plays one game at a time and never looks past anyone. To get back to the point if harvey can't get past velva's line (offensive/defensive) they will be in a hurtbag in the semis.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 07AF » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:18 pm

With the exception of last year, these two teams match up pretty evenly every time they play. Everytime the arguement is the same. Who has homefield, who has the better D, who has the better O, who prepares better, which coach is more ready. But they both have yet to make the semi's so lets not get ahead of ouselves. If they play, then talk...................psssssst. I bet they will both make the semi's. :lol:
07AF

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 pm

I agree they both need to make it there first and that is why they play the games anything can happen.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 8's » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Ya, i agree one game at a time.....harvey didnt overlook velva though, you serioulsy think that any team, especially harvey, is going to overlook velva, ya thats a good one. And especially when the two head coaches are brothers and the teams are probably the biggest rival in the state. I guess we will have to wait and see who is in the hurtbag come the semi final game, in my opinion, its gunna velva
8's
NDPreps Starter

Postby region3dominates » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Having watched velva all year the way both the D and O lines have played if they keep that kind of play up i don't see any teams stopping them this year.
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 07AF » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:16 pm

region3dominates wrote:Having watched velva all year the way both the D and O lines have played if they keep that kind of play up i don't see any teams stopping them this year.

Same for Harvey. It seems this thread has been highjacked. Someone start a thread bout this if/when they play.
07AF

Postby A-Fanatic » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm

07AF wrote:
region3dominates wrote:Having watched velva all year the way both the D and O lines have played if they keep that kind of play up i don't see any teams stopping them this year.

Same for Harvey. It seems this thread has been highjacked. Someone start a thread bout this if/when they play.

I don't think either team can boast of great improvement or otherwise considering the level of the opponent that they've both played. It will be a great game for sure if they meet again in the playoffs. Until then I will reserve further comment on the subject. In the mean time I will say again that Kordell Wolfe is player of the year for region 3. He is the main focus of that offense and sets up everything else for them, if he's having a good game Harvey is having a good game!
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to A