Player of the year Region1???

The teams in Class A

Player of the year Region1???

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Any thoughts of player of the year in region 1?? I gonna have to saw its either Drevlow or Purinton
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Re: Player of the year Region1???

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Drevlow. He has been dominant all year long.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Could you post what positions these kids play and what teams they play for? I think Purinton is a RB for Linton, but I'm not sure and I have no clue about this Drevlow kid.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 pm

If you're thinking senior player of the year, then it is Drevlow. If not, then it is Schell from Lisbon. If anyone says brings up how he did against North Sargent, ask how Drevlow did against Linton. Also, Purintun had less than 40 passing yards vs. Lisbon. So I think in the end, the "best" player is Schell. Best "senior" player is Drevlow.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 am

Flip wrote:Could you post what positions these kids play and what teams they play for? I think Purinton is a RB for Linton, but I'm not sure and I have no clue about this Drevlow kid.

Purinton QB for Linton, Drevlow OL/DL Milnor. Schell RB for Lisbon
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 am

Mailman_25 wrote:If you're thinking senior player of the year, then it is Drevlow. If not, then it is Schell from Lisbon. If anyone says brings up how he did against North Sargent, ask how Drevlow did against Linton. Also, Purintun had less than 40 passing yards vs. Lisbon. So I think in the end, the "best" player is Schell. Best "senior" player is Drevlow.

I'm just thinking player of the year frosh, soph, junior, senior, who ever, just wanted to see peoples thoughts on who is each regions player of the year. Do we have any stats to back this stuff up???
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 am

FOOTBALL_101 wrote:
Mailman_25 wrote:If you're thinking senior player of the year, then it is Drevlow. If not, then it is Schell from Lisbon. If anyone says brings up how he did against North Sargent, ask how Drevlow did against Linton. Also, Purintun had less than 40 passing yards vs. Lisbon. So I think in the end, the "best" player is Schell. Best "senior" player is Drevlow.

I'm just thinking player of the year frosh, soph, junior, senior, who ever, just wanted to see peoples thoughts on who is each regions player of the year. Do we have any stats to back this stuff up???

Drevlow is the best player, not only in region 1 but in the east half of the state. With the North Dakota High School Activities Association web site debockle it is tough to get stats on everyone. That being said, stats don't mean a whole lot. If you are looking at defense, you will not rack up many stats when you are playing poor teams because they are always 3 and out, and you will be playing with a running clock. Then you will have kids who play on poor teams who make a ton of plays on defense because the team can't stop anyone. If you are looking at offense, some kids will be playing when a game gets out of hand, while other coaches get subs in the game as soon as they think things are comfortable. What is comfortable to one coach is not to another. Or you will have a kid on the offensive line who doesn't have stats that are recorded. If you are going to truely judge who is a better player, you need to watch them play and pay attention to how they change the game. I have seen all teams from the East play this year with the exception of Cav. and Langdon (region 2) and I have not seen a close second to Drevlow. Talk to college scouts. They will all tell you Drevlow is the best player.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 am

So how did Drevlow do against Linton? I know he had a sack, and I am sure he was double teamed all night.

And Schell had 75 yards against Milnor-North Sargent with 50 coming on one run. Just so everybody's off night is mentioned.

The best football player in Region 1 is Ryan Drevlow. He makes teams account for him first on the D-line. As far as stats go, we'd know if not for the NDHSAA. but I'd say Drevlow has 10-12 sacks and more than likely leads his team in tackles. (my guess would be in the 60-70 range, from what I have heard)
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FOOTBALL_101 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am

ND_Coach wrote:

So how did Drevlow do against Linton? I know he had a sack, and I am sure he was double teamed all night.

And Schell had 75 yards against Milnor-North Sargent with 50 coming on one run. Just so everybody's off night is mentioned.

The best football player in Region 1 is Ryan Drevlow. He makes teams account for him first on the D-line. As far as stats go, we'd know if not for the NDHSAA. but I'd say Drevlow has 10-12 sacks and more than likely leads his team in tackles. (my guess would be in the 60-70 range, from what I have heard)

Maxpreps.com has Drevlow down for 41 tackles and 9 sacks
FOOTBALL_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:56 am

If you saw Drevlow play vs. Linton, you know he had a heck of a game. Linton quit passing because the Milnor N/S defensive line was pounding him.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby fbballa » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:59 am

I am going to throw a name out there- Tysen Hansen from Milnor-North Sargent. He is a great wide receiver who can really make Hansana look good. A basic out pass against Lisbon turns into a very long touchdown pass and a deep throw in which he is double teamed he catches it over the top of the two defenders. Against LaMoure he had more of those "jump ball" catches and I think even a diving catch. Without him-this is just an opinion of mine- I don't believe that Milnor-North Sargent would have beat Lisbon, or blown out LaMoure by that much.

Drevlow was definitely a great pass rusher, but sometimes you could run right inside of him because he tends to get too far upfield. But, I guess it is hard to gauge him when you are a zero win team and don't know if he is trying something different or what against you.
fbballa
NDPreps Starter

Postby joe bye » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Brent Durken of Lisbon he's a senior and i think has been starter on the o-line for 3 years(i think). he's one heck of a big kid 6'2'' and close to 280 and he's just not one big butter ball ethier. When this kid hits you its like hitting a brick Sh*t house.
joe bye

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:54 am

joe bye wrote:Brent Durken of Lisbon he's a senior and i think has been starter on the o-line for 3 years(i think). he's one heck of a big kid 6'2'' and close to 280 and he's just not one big butter ball ethier. When this kid hits you its like hitting a brick Sh*t house.

I am sure Durken went against Drevlow then. There anyone who was at the game can fill us in on who won that battle?
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dakotakid » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:47 am

i was at the Linton/Milnor game and from what i saw Linton didn't stop passing because Purinton was getting shut down. Linton's backs really stepped up and just ran all over Milnor's D-line. when you run the ball and it works you tend to keep running the ball. when you can rush for 3 touchdowns as a team and be able to manage the clock more power to you. not to take anything away from Drevlow he's a great player but you can't count Purinton out just because the run game was working for them that night. My vote Purinton then Drevlow. Schell is still the man!!!
dakotakid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Irish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:24 pm

How did Drevlow play against Linton? Listen to the radio and I think he only had one sat or was in on that sack. Puritun had receivers open but just didn't hit them according to the radio. I believe they had a touchdown ball dropped and another called back because of a block in the back. I think Drevlow for his position and potential should be senior player of the year. Purintun is not a quarter back the can win the big game for himself (I mean team). Schell is only a junior so he can't win it. There is a offensive lineman from Lisbon that was second team all-state last year that has been playing well this season. Can't remember his name though...Best players should be able to lead the team in the easiest games and hardest.. Will have to see how the play-offs pan out.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

dakotakid wrote:i was at the Linton/Milnor game and from what i saw Linton didn't stop passing because Purinton was getting shut down. Linton's backs really stepped up and just ran all over Milnor's D-line. when you run the ball and it works you tend to keep running the ball. when you can rush for 3 touchdowns as a team and be able to manage the clock more power to you. not to take anything away from Drevlow he's a great player but you can't count Purinton out just because the run game was working for them that night. My vote Purinton then Drevlow. Schell is still the man!!!

I didn't say they were shutting the passing game down. I don't know the stats, what I recall he had a short pass that had a log run after catch at the end of the first quarter. There was a middle screen and a quick pass to a wideout, not much else. They quit trying to throw because he was getting hit on nearly every pass attempt often being slow to get up (once haveing to leave the game it took him so long to get up). Purinton did a great job. He called nearly all the plays at the line of scrimmage after seeing where Drevlow would line up. Linton did a good job getting their running game going late in the third quarter threw the end of the game. They did well. Milnor/NS will have to make some adjustments on D if they are going to have a chance to beat them if they play again. Schell is a nice player but I wouldn't even put him in the conversation if he was a senior.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mailman_25 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 pm

You would not put Schell in the conversation if he were a senior! Are you admitting you know nothing about football. How about single-handily almost winning a state championship with 250 yards rushing. Drevlow is a great player. And if I recall, Purintun has never beaten Lisbon. So before we start crowning players of the year, how about looking at statistics in games that matter.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 pm

If we are going to discuss thing like this, such as player of the year, all-state considerations, etc., lets give our suggestions and reasons why. Please everyone, don't downplay the achievements of others. That is the only way this forum will continue to exist.

Thanks.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby football_lives_on » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 pm

are you serious that you would not put schell in the contentions if he was a senior? schell is the best player in that region as a junior and one of the best as a sophomore. you know nothing about football i don't think.
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:55 am

Mailman_25 wrote:You would not put Schell in the conversation if he were a senior! Are you admitting you know nothing about football. How about single-handily almost winning a state championship with 250 yards rushing. Drevlow is a great player. And if I recall, Purintun has never beaten Lisbon. So before we start crowning players of the year, how about looking at statistics in games that matter.

What won Lisbon all those games was the best offensive line in the state. They have a number of very good athletes that can run the ball. Schell is the best of that group. Last year in the championship game if they would have given the ball to their next best runner, he would have probably had 225-230 yards... The line makes the running game. How many of the players considered "best in the region" play only on one side of the ball in North Dakota? Heck, in class AAA most of the "player of the year" type players play on both sides of the ball. From what I have heard Schell has started to play on D more recently. If he was a player of the year type, wouldn't the gap between him and the player next in line for a linebacker spot be so great that they just couldn't affort for him not to be out there? There are many good running backs on struggleing teams. They are not given much credit because they are dodging defenders in the back field not 5+ yards down field like Schell last year and often has this year. Did you not watch Lisbon last year? I am not saying Schell is not a good player, or he doesn't work hard on prepairing himself for the football season. He does. I just don't believe he is at the level of Puriton and Drevlow. Schell may be the 3rd best player in the region. But, there is a clear gap between the first two and the third. I am not going to get childish and say you know nothing about football. It is clear you know how to look at stats. You just do not know how to look at them in context, or judge a players talents by things that do not always show up in stats.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 pm

d_fense wrote: Purinton did a great job. He called nearly all the plays at the line of scrimmage after seeing where Drevlow would line up.

That is why Drevlow is the player of the year. Other teams run away from him. Just by being on the field he is dictating to the offense where they will run the ball. Every team that plays against Milnor-North Sargent, the first thing they do when they game plan is find #69.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dakotakid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 am

its just a shame that a defensive player doesn't receive the recognition that an offensive player does for doing his job. all the teams in the state could run away from drevlow and make it look like he had an off night but if you really break down the tape there was always two or three guys making it that way while purintun can throw a five yard pass and his receivers turn it into 50yd gains so quarterbacks are only as good as their recivers and drevlow makes his presence known in every game he plays in...maybe not in a big way but we know he's there so in this situation DREVLOW takes my vote
dakotakid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby builttolast » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Schell did have a big O-Line to protect him last year and he was somewhat unknown last year.

Now all these teams are able to game plan at Schell because he is well known now. I'm not sure on exact numbers, but last year in 13 games he rushed for around 1600 yards. This year through 10 games, he has somewhere near 1300 yards I believe. If he keeps up that pace, and is able to play 13 games again this year, he will have similar season to last year.

I disagree to the comment above about how any Lisbon running back could have ran over 200 yards on Harvey. If that was possible, why didn't it happen? Watch Schell play. He doesn't take a hit, he delivers a hit. He's not the fastest, but I think he makes up for it in his power.

Anyone watch the MNS-Lisbon game yesterday?
Hansen dropped a touchdown pass on a fourth down that would have tied the game early in the fourth.
On fourth and goal on the one, they moved Drevlow to guard and tried to run right behind him for a touchdown to tie with game with like 30 seconds left. Didn't happen. Drevlow was knocked back over and the runningback was mauled.

Do I think these guys are bad players? Absolutely not. But people talk here a lot how big players make big plays to help win big games.

Has Schell made any big plays to win games? Not that I recall, but he did make one heck of an effort against Harvey.

Also, the all-state second team lineman you speak of is Kyle Schell, Brandon's older brother. However, he graduated last year long with all-state first teamer Justin Rienke. The only lineman that played last year that is still on there is right guard Brent Durkin.
builttolast

Postby dakotakid » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 am

ok now with Drevlow and his bulldogs out of the playoffs lets see how purintun steps up to lead his team should be an interesting match-up. would love to see how he handles the pressure. true players step up in big games so lets see how or where the lions end up
dakotakid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 pm

dakotakid wrote:ok now with Drevlow and his bulldogs out of the playoffs lets see how purintun steps up to lead his team should be an interesting match-up. would love to see how he handles the pressure. true players step up in big games so lets see how or where the lions end up

actually I do not think it matters anymore, though I may be wrong. But I think the region meetings where player of the year and all region picks are selected has already happened. They used to happen before the playoffs started, so unless that has changed there are some who already know the player of the year
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to A