Velva vs. Harvey game thread

The teams in Class A

Re: Velva vs. Harvey game thread

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:17 am

Hope you get back soon. Enough is enough already. I'm not whining that we lost. We didn't deserve to win by a LONG shot. But, we didn't deserve how the game ended. My prediction was based reading velva taking care of most teams they played with ease and not really believing what I watched was the #1 ranked A team in the state. They NO DOUBT have a very SOLID defense, but I don't believe they have enough offense. Things can change and the rankings don't matter until the final one. Like I said I have NEVER seen Harvey play before either. Buts, its hard for me to believe that if we would have scored at the end of the 4th quarter against des-lacs and garrison to make the scores 36 to 0 and 36 to 0 versus taking a knee, that people up there wouldn't be saying the same thing about us. But fortunately we didn't. I give the coaching staff all the credit for NOT doing that, regardless if they don't have the state title trophies with their names on it.

But hey, probably should get back to topic. What did Velva do well? Did harvey not play very well? Besides the long td in the 3rd did Harvey have many opportunities to score? Could the score have been worse or was it closer than it appeared?
bigpoppakdog

Postby A-Fanatic » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 pm

You're right it is time to quit the bickering and get down to business. I was at the Harvey/Velva game and here's my take on it. It was speed and quickness vs power. In this case Velva was faster and it caused a lot of problems for Harvey. Velva was able to slash and dash and eat up some nice chunks of yardage which then helped their passing game. Harvey had trouble running the ball because Velva was able to beat the offensive line off the ball and fill the gaps, the linebackers did a good job of pursuit and finishing tackles. To me it seemed quite obvious that Harvey likes to run off the left tackle (Mr Barts) I believe. That's where they had their best success on the night. Velva was fast to the ball and they like to gang tackle so Kordell Wolfe had a tough night and had to work for everything he got. Harvey did do a good job on pass blocking. They gave Leier a lot of time to pass but I think he just had an off night a lot of bad passes. The lone touchdown for Harvey was a perfect throw from Leier and he had good protection the receiver got behind the defense and nothing but green grass in front of him when he caught the ball! Other than that Harvey took the ball to Velva's twenty yard lin maybe once. Velva moved the ball pretty consistently all night with the exception of the third quarter. They came out kind of flat for the second half and Harvey took it to them. Velva got it going though and finished the game strong with a scoring drive in the fourth and stopped Harvey in their tracks on defense. This will be a good rematch should they meet in the playoffs, which I think they will. Both teams will have time to get their game perfected and make adjustments. I'll put my money on Velva in a rematch.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:52 pm

I thought for a team to be successful against Harvey they would need to attack harvey's defensive interior. I thought there cornerbacks/outside linebackers were too good to get around the outside. I also thought that if they could cover their receiver that would really make it tough for Harvey to do anything offensively. So after this week what should the rankings be?
bigpoppakdog

Postby ND_Coach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:39 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I thought for a team to be successful against Harvey they would need to attack harvey's defensive interior. I thought there cornerbacks/outside linebackers were too good to get around the outside. I also thought that if they could cover their receiver that would really make it tough for Harvey to do anything offensively. So after this week what should the rankings be?

I would guess the rankings would be

1. Velva
2. Linton
3. Harvey
4. Milnor-North Sargent
5. Beach?
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to A